First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Following along with this thread, I've noticed a lot of people getting their sets 4-AW or 5-AW, whether combo or not. Some even have the PW and AW in Apex pro (which I believe does not have the A.I. face). For those of you who have the sets with the wedges: Do y'all take a lot of full swings with both clubs and want to match? Match shafts?

I'm considering pulling the trigger soon, but I was thinking 4-PW. My current setup is 5-AW in rogues with a 21* UT. I hit a fair amount of full shots with the AW, but I have more 3/4 swings or long pitches. The spin was never there on the AW. Just good for launching it high and landing it softly on a full swing. Thinking of getting my AW with new Jaws wedges.
Are you referring to the Pros? Reason I ask is I'm almost certain they have the AI face, they just don't have the cupface or tungsten in the shorter irons. That being said, I take mostly full swings with the PW and AW and use the AW around the green with chips and have no problem with spin on them. My shafts are the same 4-AW and then go heavier in my 54/58* wedges.

Are you referring to the Pros? Reason I ask is I'm almost certain they have the AI face, they just don't have the cupface or tungsten in the shorter irons. That being said, I take mostly full swings with the PW and AW and use the AW around the green with chips and have no problem with spin on them. My shafts are the same 4-AW and then go heavier in my 54/58* wedges.
Thanks! Good insight! I think I was referring to the cupface. I believe the A does not have the urethane as well? So you don't find any major difference between your 54 and A wedge? Distance control an issue? I sometimes have that issue with my current A. I lost a fine golf ball at a par 3 at Kapalua because of the distance control on my A wedge :)

Trying to asses all my options. I remember a thread on this in general from last year and everyone was split. Wanted to see any specific performance differences and issues with the Pros.

One slightly related follow up for anyone on here. How is your gapping at the other end of the bag? I have an X-Forged UT that I love at 21*, and was thinking at getting the 4 iron at 23* as a logical gapping progression.

Thanks! Good insight! I think I was referring to the cupface. I believe the A does not have the urethane as well? So you don't find any major difference between your 54 and A wedge? Distance control an issue? I sometimes have that issue with my current A. I lost a fine golf ball at a par 3 at Kapalua because of the distance control on my A wedge :)

Trying to asses all my options. I remember a thread on this in general from last year and everyone was split. Wanted to see any specific performance differences and issues with the Pros.
I haven't had any issues with distance control between the AW and 54*. I will say, I have only 3 rounds under my belt with the irons but I haven't seen any issues with what you are speaking of. I can't remember if the AW has the urethane microspheres. @DNevsCG would be a good person for that question!

I believe the A does not have the urethane as well?
This is correct. Only the 3-PW have the urethane microspheres. Unfortunately I don't have the Pro AW. My set stops at the PW so I couldn't tell you the feel differences

This is correct. Only the 3-PW have the urethane microspheres. Unfortunately I don't have the Pro AW. My set stops at the PW so I couldn't tell you the feel differences
I haven't noticed anything discernable, but like I said I only have 3 rounds with them. I think Callaway has done a great job with feel with these irons across the board.

I haven't noticed anything discernable, but like I said I only have 3 rounds with them. I think Callaway has done a great job with feel with these irons across the board.
Ther Apex Pro have been a sleeper hit in the fitting bays and on the LPGA and Champions Tour. Lot of testing on the big show with them but like 770 for example, the guys on TOUR arent really looking for a bit more distance, they want spin. Spin is king out there.

Ther Apex Pro have been a sleeper hit in the fitting bays and on the LPGA and Champions Tour. Lot of testing on the big show with them but like 770 for example, the guys on TOUR arent really looking for a bit more distance, they want spin. Spin is king out there.
I absolutely love my pros so far! They make me want to kee playing and get out as much as possible!

i hate looking at these irons in my backup bag. i want them to work so badly. my last round was completely bonkers in the best kind of way with my other irons, and yet i still can't shake the urge to swap the pro 21 back in for my round on saturday.
I had a temptation and at the range grabbed the demo Apex Pro 21 7 iron with the same MMT95 stiff shaft. I hit 3 really great balls that felt and sounded fantastic. Then I got 2 poor shots which were punished. As much as my eyes love the pro my swing benefits from the standard Apex 21

One slightly related follow up for anyone on here. How is your gapping at the other end of the bag? I have an X-Forged UT that I love at 21*, and was thinking at getting the 4 iron at 23* as a logical gapping progression.
Standard or pro? My 21* X Forged UT has actually run a little tight with my Apex Pro 4i. Pro 4 is spicy for my swing. Shaft lengths and weights will always influence how those things mingle too though. My UT is nearly the same shaft as my irons. 115g.

I haven't had a chance to full validate the upper end of the bag yet. My 4iron in the Apex Pro goes pretty close to my old 4iron but I need to get some real numbers and right now I have the Apex pro 3h going 230ish. My old 4iron ( T200 ) was 205 carry but was 2 degrees stronger. I may end up tweaking the loft on the 4 and 5 iron in the pro set to spread the gap a bit.

I had a temptation and at the range grabbed the demo Apex Pro 21 7 iron with the same MMT95 stiff shaft. I hit 3 really great balls that felt and sounded fantastic. Then I got 2 poor shots which were punished. As much as my eyes love the pro my swing benefits from the standard Apex 21
I had the Apex 19's . I demoed a pro 8 and hit it well. I can honestly say the feeling of a perfect strike with that club was like nothing I have ever felt. I went with the 8 -AW Pro and when I hit them well they were great. The problem was on less than ideal swings as you said "poor shots were punished". I just wasn't consistent enough to play them but as I have said in a prior post I don't regret the attempt because they really made me focus on my ball striking and I learned from it. In the Apex 21's I went standard with the exception of the 5 and 6 which I went DCB which I can't say enough good things about. Happy with the standards as they are just right for me. Ive already seen a big difference early in the year and think it will only get better.

I think the 6 iron is my favorite iron in the set. We have a long par that always gives me trouble, so far 3 for 3 on this hole sticking it close. Distance at least off the tee is really consistent.

Picked up my DCB 9 iron last night, so the whole family is in the bag now...just got to kick the torrential rains and the pseudo winter out and find a range to try out all the new toys on.

Standard or pro? My 21* X Forged UT has actually run a little tight with my Apex Pro 4i. Pro 4 is spicy for my swing. Shaft lengths and weights will always influence how those things mingle too though. My UT is nearly the same shaft as my irons. 115g.
Interesting! I was looking at Apex Pro. Alternatively, I'm looking at swinging the X-Forged also. I wondered if the gap between the 21* UT and the 5 iron would be too great. Generally I'd rather have a larger gap at the other end of the bag.

Following along with this thread, I've noticed a lot of people getting their sets 4-AW or 5-AW, whether combo or not. Some even have the PW and AW in Apex pro (which I believe does not have the A.I. face). For those of you who have the sets with the wedges: Do y'all take a lot of full swings with both clubs and want to match? Match shafts?

I'm considering pulling the trigger soon, but I was thinking 4-PW. My current setup is 5-AW in rogues with a 21* UT. I hit a fair amount of full shots with the AW, but I have more 3/4 swings or long pitches. The spin was never there on the AW. Just good for launching it high and landing it softly on a full swing. Thinking of getting my AW with new Jaws wedges.

I went 5-AW and this is the first time I have purchased a set AW. I basically decided to go this way as I do take full shots, knockdowns and bump and runs and felt would gain even more versatility with matching to set.

Inaugural voyage this Saturday....will be fun.

Interesting! I was looking at Apex Pro. Alternatively, I'm looking at swinging the X-Forged also. I wondered if the gap between the 21* UT and the 5 iron would be too great. Generally I'd rather have a larger gap at the other end of the bag.
I feel like it would be a stretch. I tend to do just a little better with the smaller sole'd long irons vs. a UT for some reason. They might gap well on monitor, but I feel comfortable over a 4i and I think I swing them faster on course. And that's why the 21 UT is a little tight for me. And I prefer to stretch the gaps past the 4i and have them tighter towards the wedges.

I've got a question on the wedges too, for those of you using PW and AW Pro: Do you use 54/58* (ttucliffhanger uses those, right?) or a different setup? I'm thinking maybe the face of the pros is hotter than of the bladed wedges, so for gapping maybe 52/58 makes more sense? What's your experience looking at the gaps?

I've got a question on the wedges too, for those of you using PW and AW Pro: Do you use 54/58* (ttucliffhanger uses those, right?) or a different setup? I'm thinking maybe the face of the pros is hotter than of the bladed wedges, so for gapping maybe 52/58 makes more sense? What's your experience looking at the gaps?

I have the same question... but related to the standard Apex 21 PW and AW wedges. Thanks in advance.

Although I have yet to swing my new Pros, I am sticking with my 54/58 RTX-4 setup from last year. Haven’t been on a launch monitor either to check gapping but my RTX-50 from last year (relegated to closet) matches the new Pro AW so I think the gapping should work out well.
I play multiple shots/distances with the 54/58 anyway using partial shots so my swing controls the distance more than the actual club head, if that makes any sense.

Ordered regular Apex 6-AW on Saturday. Modus 105 S softstepped / 2 flat / with tour velvet align grips. Already moved to being packaged. Should have them soon. Pretty quick turnaround for Callaway.

I have the same question... but related to the standard Apex 21 PW and AW wedges. Thanks in advance.

I debated this when I bought my 21s. The AW is 48 degrees and decided to change to 52 (CBX 2) and 56 (Zip Core). I hope this works out. I haven’t been able to play but once with the new set.

Related wedge question. Anyone know why the MMT 105 is stock for the Apex Pro's but $60 in Jaws wedges? After a fitting I was contemplating a split set vs Pro's but there is an upcharge on the MMT's for the combo of $15.

Had the hookies real bad with the DCB long irons. Need to spend some time with them on the range. The shots that didn’t hook were sooooo good. This is the peril of a swing change and new irons at the same time.

Related wedge question. Anyone know why the MMT 105 is stock for the Apex Pro's but $60 in Jaws wedges? After a fitting I was contemplating a split set vs Pro's but there is an upcharge on the MMT's for the combo of $15.

Up here in Canada the MMT’s were the stock graphite offering in the Apex Pro irons but they are also $30 upcharge vs the stock steel. In the wedge the MMT upcharge is $78 per shaft. The difference to me is the stock graphite in the wedge is the Catalyst and the MMT is custom.

Since the MD5 was introduced late 2019 there is probably an agreement with TT to stick with the Catalyst for the life cycle of the MD5.

Back