First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Had a good round with my Apex Pro combo set. I needed it because the first few rounds were less than stellar. I knew the issue was with me and not the clubs but it is a relief to finally hit the shots that I am capable of and know the irons are a good fit going forward. I am not a fan of the irons looking so different aesthetically in the bag but on the course it is a non issue. I get my distance number and grab a club without thinking about where the combo set splits. Before receiving my combo set I would have preferred the set to split at 7-6 but the Apex 7 iron has been magic so I am glad Callaway decided to split the set where they did. The 6 iron has been solid and the 5 iron made me some money yesterday gambling with some friends. We were playing $5 closest to the pin on par threes and I had been shut out so far. I was last to tee off on a 210 yard hole and hit a laser that ended up with a good look at birdie. The Apex Pro 19 AW was the most versatile club I had ever played and the 21 version showed its merit yesterday with nothing but good results all day long. I am so glad this set of irons showed what they are capable of and I can rest easy knowing I have the right irons in the bag for the season.

Up here in Canada the MMT’s were the stock graphite offering in the Apex Pro irons but they are also $30 upcharge vs the stock steel. In the wedge the MMT upcharge is $78 per shaft. The difference to me is the stock graphite in the wedge is the Catalyst and the MMT is custom.

Since the MD5 was introduced late 2019 there is probably an agreement with TT to stick with the Catalyst for the life cycle of the MD5.
Thing that baffles me is the combo is different. $15 upcharge here in the combos. No stock options for the combo. I get the wedge thing (especially if you chose scoring wedge) but come on it's the same bloody shaft.

The Apex Pro 19 AW was the most versatile club I had ever played and the 21 version showed its merit yesterday with nothing but good results...

I am trying to choose between 4-PW and 4-A. You really like the A? Do you use the A for full shots and around the green? My A on my Rogues is too hot for how I play around the green. I do use it for full shots and 3/4 but my trajectory is a bit low and it just doesn't spin as much as my md4's. Thanks for your feedback!

I am trying to choose between 4-PW and 4-A. You really like the A? Do you use the A for full shots and around the green? My A on my Rogues is too hot for how I play around the green. I do use it for full shots and 3/4 but my trajectory is a bit low and it just doesn't spin as much as my md4's. Thanks for your feedback!

In my limited experience with the pro AW so far it has plenty of spin on both full and partial shots. Comparing it to other gap wedges I have it is much much closer to the Apex MB than the Apex CF16

In my limited experience with the pro AW so far it has plenty of spin on both full and partial shots. Comparing it to other gap wedges I have it is much much closer to the Apex MB than the Apex CF16

Great! That's what I was hoping for I think.

Chipping I hit lots of bump and runs with it and use the toe only for sketchy thin lies. I choke down on it for an easy 100 yard full shot and use it for pitch shots when the Texas wind kicks up. It gaps perfectly as a scoring club but is a club I feel confident with when I need to be creative.

thinking the pro 21 are going back in the bag for one last shot this coming weekend. the swing feels pretty decent. time to determine if the decent stuff i'm seeing out of my other set is just because it's better for me, or if maybe my swing is in a good enough spot to put these beautiful tools in play.

One slightly related follow up for anyone on here. How is your gapping at the other end of the bag? I have an X-Forged UT that I love at 21*, and was thinking at getting the 4 iron at 23* as a logical gapping progression.
I have the same question... but related to the standard Apex 21 PW and AW wedges. Thanks in advance.
Thing to look out for with Apex Pro PW @ 45 is launch, yes its 45 degrees but I found my spin went up at a lower launch to mitigate and crazy distance jumps. Perfect set up I found is 45/50/55/60 or 46/52/58 if you wanna 3 wedge set up. Best thing about Apex Pro is the combo of distance and spin. Most irons (except 1) in this category mitigate spin with extra height. Apex Pro gets the ball speed but def spins and launches like a players one piece CB.

Got the DCBs out to the range again and was much happier with the results than the shank fest the first session turned out as. Still hit off mats, so haven’t gotten any feel for turf interaction, but was pretty happy with directions and distances I was seeing. These seem super easy to hit and really feel good. I was also seeing pretty good consistency with distances which is a much bigger deal to me than the actual number. Really happy so far and can’t wait to get them out on the course.

Got the DCBs out to the range again and was much happier with the results than the shank fest the first session turned out as. Still hit off mats, so haven’t gotten any feel for turf interaction, but was pretty happy with directions and distances I was seeing. These seem super easy to hit and really feel good. I was also seeing pretty good consistency with distances which is a much bigger deal to me than the actual number. Really happy so far and can’t wait to get them out on the course.
Thanks for the update. Looking forward to your thoughts regarding turf interaction once you have more time with your clubs.

I had a temptation and at the range grabbed the demo Apex Pro 21 7 iron with the same MMT95 stiff shaft. I hit 3 really great balls that felt and sounded fantastic. Then I got 2 poor shots which were punished. As much as my eyes love the pro my swing benefits from the standard Apex 21

I haven’t seen an MMT demo shaft in our local PGATSS. I would love to hit one.

Quick 9 this afternoon with the full Apex Pro set. 8 of 9 gir with light wind the irons were really good.

I can’t say I have seen a shot yet that was well struck go too far. Distances are very consistent unless I miss it badly.

I am still amazed by these irons. The Pros are just so so good. There is nothing I can find wrong with them. They look great, perform great, and sound/feel amazing. The senior fitter/pro at local range I go to agreed as he saw my my Pro's in my bag when I was doing the gap session ( more below ). He switched to the Apex Pros because in his words "they [Callaway] got everything right".

Did a gapping session today with the Apex Pros. Already played 3 rounds but was somewhat guessing on distances so I wanted to get some real data. Definitely eye opening. I thought I would lose more distance than I actually did given that I was coming from T200's at 2 degrees stronger lofts. But I didn't lose much distance at all. What I gained however, was front to back distance dispersion. Between that, and the recoil proto 110 F5's which have drastically helped my left-right dispersion, I feel more dialed into my equipment earlier than any other year previous. I've got 4 weeks until my league starts so this was a big step to see if I need to adjust anything. Other than moving my 56 degree MD5 a degree strong or maybe swapping it out for 54, I don't think I need to do much. The 6i numbers are a little wonky because I think I hooded a couple of the shots which would explain the lower launch and spin. Overally, really really happy with the setup for the season.

1617498114089.png

Last edited:
I am still amazed by these irons. The Pros are just so so good. There is nothing I can find wrong with them. They look great, perform great, and sound/feel amazing. The senior fitter/pro at local range I go to agreed as he saw my my Pro's in my bag when I was doing the gap session ( more below ). He switched to the Apex Pros because in his words "they [Callaway] got everything right".

Did a gapping session today with the Apex Pros. Already played 3 rounds but was somewhat guessing on distances so I wanted to get some real data. Definitely eye opening. I thought I would lose more distance than I actually did given that I was coming from T200's at 2 degrees stronger lofts. But I didn't lose much distance at all. What I gained however, was front to back distance dispersion. Between that, and the recoil proto 110 F5's which have drastically helped my left-right dispersion, I feel more dialed into my equipment earlier than any other year previous. I've got 4 weeks until my league starts so this was a big step to see if I need to adjust anything. Other than moving my 56 degree MD5 a degree strong or maybe swapping it out for 54, I don't think I need to do much. The 6i numbers are a little wonky because I think I hooded a couple of the shots which would explain the lower launch and spin. Overally, really really happy with the setup for the season.

View attachment 9001276
What loft is your 3 hybrid? 19° or 21? I have been figuring out how the 4 iron would gap with my 21° UT. For the other end, I'm thinking a 54° SW would work well with the AW.

My swing was trash Friday afternoon, spoiling a fast start with the Apex 21s. Fortunately, today, was FAR better. Coming off many s****s the day before, I was super nervous how my iron game would be today. But that changed quickly. On the first hole, I hit a big sweeping hook off the tee, putting me on the adjacent hole with a blind shot to the green and trees to clear. Pulled the 7i, flushed it, cleared the trees and drew towards the green. When I got up there, I was pin high about 20 feet right of the pin. The second hole was even better. After hitting a tree with my 5w into a par 5, I left myself 150 to an elevated green. Ball well below my feet on a side hill and I hit a great shot right a the pin, giving myself about 8 feet for birdie. A couple holes later, I hit my 9i 148 to pin high, leaving a 15 footer. Probably my three best iron strikes of the day, but they were absolutely perfect. I'm very, very happy with these irons thus far.

What loft is your 3 hybrid? 19° or 21? I have been figuring out how the 4 iron would gap with my 21° UT. For the other end, I'm thinking a 54° SW would work well with the AW.

Apex Pro 3h is 20 degrees. And agree with the 54. I am going to bend the 56 to 55 first and see if I get close enough before dealing with getting a new head.

Despite a recent flirtation (and the fact that the re-shaft of them was potentially not fully cured) I took the sort of Players Combo when it counted most and they delivered as usual. Got seriously stretched out on over 7300y with layout and conditions limiting it to 10 drivers off the tee, and the Apex Pro long irons where money all day. Lots of long par 3's, water carries, etc, and they do the work . Control with the 7-A MB and versatility in mixed lies was just what was needed for some seriously tricky pins and executing a plan on an unfamiliar course. It was good.

As I said I could happily play them for the full year. Got about the 4th email saying my TCB's are 'now' (apparently not the other times) soon to actually ship (not like the other times :cautious:) with the AW finally en route to the purchase place though, so hope to get them out soon and see how they compare and fit in with the Apex I already have. Plan is for Aped Pro 4i and TCB 5-A, but things can change.

Last edited:
Gave up on the 425 5 wood and sold it.

Good club, just not a magic club.

The Apex 21 standard irons were really good on the course today. I got some really nice iron shots and just need to get my driver a little more consistent to start scoring better. I almost holed out with the set AW on the final hole. The combination of the standard heads with the MMT shafts held up in the windy conditions. I had to hit several flighted shots and was able to without any issue.

The Apex 21 standard irons were really good on the course today. I got some really nice iron shots and just need to get my driver a little more consistent to start scoring better. I almost holed out with the set AW on the final hole. The combination of the standard heads with the MMT shafts held up in the windy conditions. I had to hit several flighted shots and was able to without any issue.
Which MMT do you have? I have not had a chance to swing an MMT, but I have had difficulty fighting a steelfiber 110, when I usually can hit stingers with my x100s. Surprisingly I could flight the ball lower with an Accra 100, which my fitter thought was the closes match to an MMT 105.

Good weather here this morning. Really getting used to these irons (5 and 6 DCB) 7- AW standard. Just keep getting better. Getting off the tee really well today and had some 9, PW and AW shots into some par fours. Got some birdie opportunities and the AW is really working on full shots and around the green. Happy with every iron in this set perfect for my game right now and truly confidence inspiring. Coming from the Pro combo Apex 19's although I was too inconsistent with the Pro 8 and 9 really liked the Pro AW. Though about going Pro 21 AW but decided to go standard. Glad I did because it has been as good around the green for me as the Pro 19 and way better on full shots where good strikes are rewarded and less than ideal contact is not nearly as punished as it was with the Pro 19. Shot a 39 on the back the other day followed it with a 38 on the back today when I was really feeling it.Again for me that is a great score where my current handicap is and its the best I've struck irons (consistently). It helped that I got the Epic Max LS really working on the back as well. Looking forward to building on this particularly in better weather and less wind. Never felt better hitting irons.

Last edited:
My swing came back today and the Pros straight up shined! I hit all but one green when I had these in my hands! the one I missed, I hit over because I was hitting in to a wind and clubbed up. It rocketed off the face and made it seem like the wind wasn't even there. Was such a good feeling, I've never been happier to miss a green. I'm continuing to love the MMT 85s in these.

They do seem a little demanding at times but that doesn't mean they lack forgiveness. Toe side miss of these is well documented in here but it's a real help when you only lose a few yards on your normal mishit. Gives me the confidence to pull the club and swing. Getting a full season in with these is going to be fun now that it's time to post scores!

Which MMT do you have? I have not had a chance to swing an MMT, but I have had difficulty fighting a steelfiber 110, when I usually can hit stingers with my x100s. Surprisingly I could flight the ball lower with an Accra 100, which my fitter thought was the closes match to an MMT 105.
I went from nippon modus 105 stiff to MMT 95 stiff and am seeing similar launch and spin. The MMT feels quite stout for graphite

Quick build question guys! I recently had the lie angle changed on my old Rogues due to my swing/setup change. They were too upright (toe off the ground) so flattened 1°.

Noticed the lie angles were lower by 1 degree on the Apex Pros than my old Rogues (the lofts are obviously weaker so I was comparing lofts). Rogue 7 iron at 30° loft was a 62.5°. Pro 6 iron at 29° has 61.5 lie. Across the board lies are 1 degree down (26° 6 iron is 62° and in the Pro the 26° is 61°).

Should I be getting them 2 flat then? Or is the 1 degree difference due to the loft difference?

Quick build question guys! I recently had the lie angle changed on my old Rogues due to my swing/setup change. They were too upright (toe off the ground) so flattened 1°.

Noticed the lie angles were lower by 1 degree on the Apex Pros than my old Rogues (the lofts are obviously weaker so I was comparing lofts). Rogue 7 iron at 30° loft was a 62.5°. Pro 6 iron at 29° has 61.5 lie. Across the board lies are 1 degree down (26° 6 iron is 62° and in the Pro the 26° is 61°).

Should I be getting them 2 flat then? Or is the 1 degree difference due to the loft difference?
Well the lie you need is more rooted in the length of those two clubs. Your Rogue 7i is probably 37" at that 62.5*. The Pro 7i will be 37" at 62* so they're .5* different. Same for you 26* comparison. You're comparing a 6 and 5 iron. They're different lengths. The Apex Pros at stock will be .5* flatter than what you list your Rogues at. You can adjust accordingly.

Back