First Look: Callaway Apex 21 Irons

Just curious whether there are any single digit indices playing a full set of DCBs.

Just curious whether there are any single digit indices playing a full set of DCBs.
Coming from the Rogues but hitting them (is there such a thing??) too far with distance control issues, the DCB's weren't even in the conversation. The regulars and pros or a combo thereof were in play. I was also looking for a smaller less compact head and honestly wanted a poor strike to go shorter than the Rogues. No shame in forgiveness. I was roughly a 12 handicap when I was fitted to the Rogues. If I was the same I would be looking probably at a dcb and apex combo.

The senior rep I spoke with on Monday also pointed to the fact that those dates are based on a simple formula of component purchase order plus build time. They shouldn't be on component purchase orders but rather when they actually have them. Apparently Carlsbad is working on a new system for updating shipping times including posting whether or not the order will be backordered (lead time of more than 1-2 weeks) before the customer places the order. Love Callaway but I think we are all frustrated. Patience is a virtue my mother would say.

This would be very helpful. I ordered when I did because the system said the setup would ship in 1-2 weeks. And the shop said at that point Callaway estimates were holding true. Well, that didn't happen and the only updates so far were dates moving the wrong direction with no reason why. All I have wanted is realistic estimates at the time I purchase. Tell me 70% chance they will ship before Sept 1, and I can make a decision. Tell me 1-2 weeks and then slip into the unknown, I get grumpy. I understand the challenges. I just want honest communication when I make the purchase decision. I hope their new system kicks in soon. Thanks for that update.

Oooh, Customs clearance...

QUOTE="Tenputt, post: 9900483, member: 42964"]
[/QUOTE]
I'm just outside of single digits (hope to be actual single in the next two months) and got fit for DCB's. I learned to play in the Oklahoma and Texas wind, so I'm a natural low ball hitter. The DCB's on average flew 12' higher than the standard Apex and 10' higher than the Pros. I didn't have problems hitting either of the other heads, but am loving the height and forgiveness of the DCB's. I've caught 3 or 4 way out on the toe with almost zero penalty. They're a much bigger profile than I've ever played before but I'm data driven and saw the #'s during the fitting. I also went from KBS 120 S to the 75g Recoil DARTs. That took about 3 rounds to adjust to the 45g shaft difference that I've played for most of the last decade, but I'm comfortable with them now and feel confident stepping on them when needed without negative effects. I know flex and weight are independent in graphite, but I'm still shocked at the results. FWIW my driver SS is 105ish and I'm trying to go from a moderate transition to a smooth transition. So far I love everything about the new setup.

I'm just outside of single digits (hope to be actual single in the next two months) and got fit for DCB's. I learned to play in the Oklahoma and Texas wind, so I'm a natural low ball hitter. The DCB's on average flew 12' higher than the standard Apex and 10' higher than the Pros. I didn't have problems hitting either of the other heads, but am loving the height and forgiveness of the DCB's. I've caught 3 or 4 way out on the toe with almost zero penalty. They're a much bigger profile than I've ever played before but I'm data driven and saw the #'s during the fitting. I also went from KBS 120 S to the 75g Recoil DARTs. That took about 3 rounds to adjust to the 45g shaft difference that I've played for most of the last decade, but I'm comfortable with them now and feel confident stepping on them when needed without negative effects. I know flex and weight are independent in graphite, but I'm still shocked at the results. FWIW my driver SS is 105ish and I'm trying to go from a moderate transition to a smooth transition. So far I love everything about the new setup.

Screenshot_20210416-132042_AfterShip.jpg

😭😭

Go ahead, tell me about all the good shots you hit last weekend. All the delicious feels, the peer jealousy, the chest swelling pride... I can take it. :LOL:

View attachment 9003497

😭😭

Go ahead, tell me about all the good shots you hit last weekend. All the delicious feels, the peer jealousy, the chest swelling pride... I can take it. :LOL:
Haha, I don't want to pour salt in the wound. But..... they feel pretty amazing and perform how a players CB should. And they're pretty gorgeous too. I am sure you'll like them when they arrive sometime in the distant future.

Haha, I don't want to pour salt in the wound. But..... they feel pretty amazing and perform how a players CB should. And they're pretty gorgeous too. I am sure you'll like them when they arrive sometime in the distant future.
I went to visit the ones I could have been playing weeks ago, and took a couple more swings. The fit for what I look for is just so good that I keep telling myself it's going to be worth the wait.

Until then I'm the crazy guy you see mumbling to himself 'It's fine, it's fine' and walk in a wide circle around. :LOL:

I went to visit the ones I could have been playing weeks ago, and took a couple more swings. The fit for what I look for is just so good that I keep telling myself it's going to be worth the wait.

Until then I'm the crazy guy you see mumbling to himself 'It's fine, it's fine' and walk in a wide circle around. :LOL:
With you and gear, I’m more picturing it like this

I still stop and just stare at the Apex Pros on the rack at my local golf shop. Such a beautiful design with plenty of tech.

Good news for a change. New shipping date of April 23. Word is the hold up was the AW and PW.

Can’t wait to play new irons. First time since the end of 2017, and my 3rd set since I started playing. Pro/reg combo set. More forgiving and longer (stronger lofts), these will take some time for me to sort out. I am not one who can quickly switch equipment without a transition.

I feel like an expectant father...moved from 5/2-5/7 to 5/19-5/25. Trying not to get too high or too low on them!

Not sure I like the Pro AW. Pw and 9 iron are rockstars, but the AW looks a fair amount different and I cant seem to find the consistency I’d expect from it. Will keep working on it.

I give you credit- mine moves one more time and I'm out but hopefully it holds
My dad always said "keep the faith!" For mine it has to be the MMT shafts as my jaws wedges are also they same dates. The 5 and 8 heads on the Pros should be in by the last week of April. Hang in there bud!

Another really solid day with the Apex 21s. 6 greens and soooo many near misses. I was either on, within 5 yards of the green, or in a green side bunker. Now I just need to roll some in for birdie...

Still loving the Pros. I will say I’m a little bummed though because I was warming up on the range before my tournament today and hit one off the toe with sand on the club and it put a nice sand mark which you can feel the scratches on the toe of my AW. Oh well, they were made to hit, just not that far out, lol.

Had a decent, but not exceptional first round with my DCBs today. Distances are pretty similar in comparison to my old original Apex, the feel is fine, and the turf interaction was ok (pretty dry ground though today).

This new set is +1/2” from my new fitting where my old set was +1/4”, and I feel like I’m not striking them as cleanly yet, so as small a difference as that is, I want to see if that continues and maybe have the DCBs trimmed to match my old set and see if that helps any.

Playing again tomorrow so will see what a new day brings.

They just keep getting better. I'll say it again for the kids in the back: the regular 21 Apex is the best feeling Apex since the 2014 Pro. I don't feel like irons are the worst part of my game right now, which says a lot coming from how confident I was with an iron my hand a few years ago to not being able to hit the grooved part of the face a couple months ago. I'm playing my old distances, I can step on them for a few extra yards and still seeing enough spin to keep the short irons where they land.

Played my 3rd round today since rotator cuff surgery and 3rd round with Sweet Spot combo.... I think I may need a 6 1/2 iron.... the DCB 4&5 iron are rocket launchers! I need a few more rounds to dial in distances but I definitely need to dial back a bit on DCBs playing to a specific number!

Not sure I like the Pro AW. Pw and 9 iron are rockstars, but the AW looks a fair amount different and I cant seem to find the consistency I’d expect from it. Will keep working on it.
Based on something you said once about the 747v, this actually doesn't surprise me. It's a fair bit taller in the heel to my eye, so seems more scoop-y. Doesn't typically bother me, but I did notice the shape change between the PW and AW seems less.. gradual. I know you thought that 747v PW seemed big (or bigger than the others) for a similar reason.

Back