First Look: Callaway MD5 Raw Wedges

I like my arsenal of towels too much to use rusty clubs haha. I love that it's an option though, wish it was available from the beginning.

Totally player and even geography dependent.
For those going with the idea of more spin, does anybody need it right now with the MD5 JAWS wedges? They spin like crazy already.
That makes sense. I don't think the MD5 wedges need any more spin, but did think the rusting would counteract the wear and essentially make the "new wedge spin" last longer.

X grind in 54 and 56 too!? Who doesn’t need a third set of MD5 wedges...? 🤣
I'm starting to think I need a first set. LOL

That makes sense. I don't think the MD5 wedges need any more spin, but did think the rusting would counteract the wear and essentially make the "new wedge spin" last longer.

I genuinely don't think most golfers need to worry about the wear of Raw vs the plating. Go with what you like.

I love that Callaway is offering this for the folks that want it. I've definitely gamed rusty unplated wedges in the past and actually like the way they look. If you do basic wiping down, etc. it's not something that will be obnoxious.

All that said, I'm actually more interested in the T grind. I've been playing a 60X since the GD, which has worked out pretty well, but the idea of something with a little less bounce while retaining the heel relief in the 60 spot is very appealing to me. It's almost like Callaway knew I was looking at refreshing my 54/60 at some point this year....

Is this listening to the people, or tour pros? Raw tends to be popular on tour

Is this listening to the people, or tour pros? Raw tends to be popular on tour

Are you an anti-dentite? Tour pros are people too. :ROFLMAO:

I genuinely don't think most golfers need to worry about the wear of Raw vs the plating. Go with what you like.
i think this would be my answer, you'd literally have to hit 200 balls a day for probably a couple seasons to actually see the face wear to nothing wouldn't you? I think the average golfer hits 20-30 balls on the range a couple times a week before they play and then use their wedge every other hole, so much playing time is 3 different wedges actually seeing?

Are you an anti-dentite? Tour pros are people too. :ROFLMAO:
Solid reference.

They may be people, but Tour pros are a different breed.

I'm kind of wondering about the raw wedges. I know the groves wear faster but my question is that once the raw starts to wear, would it be still equal to the spin/bite you'd get on a plated wedge? Does anyone actually know how fast it really wears vs the plated wedges? Kind of along the lines of @TCB2010 comments

RAW + x-grind and t-grind has me extremely interested

The raw wedges have really started taking off based on internet pictures and posts on social media. Seems to be the latest trend. Noticing more on tour as well. Awesome write up on the wedges and while I have not played JAWS I do like the look.

I had the unplated, Tactical MD4s, and man did they feel great. They've been handed down to my brother post GD, but this release has me very intrigued, especially because I've wanted an X grind in the SW slot since they released that grind with the MD4s. It doesn't help that I love wedges and experimenting with them...

first, I want! I've never had raw clubs, these definitely have my interest.

but second, I won't take a chance on a grind I wasn't fit for. I'm really digging my X grinds, but I would like a little more heel relief. I've basically worn the plating around the heel of the sole of my md5 56 in about 6 months, so I feel like I need less material there. would the t grind make sense?

Great write up James.

These look great and I may have to give the Jaws a try.

I do need to upgrade my 56....hmmmm. Great write up James!

Love the raw. These are great looking wedges.

Great write up!

These wedges do look good, but I think they look even better with plating. Therefore, I’m not likely to grab a set of raw... really like the blue though!!

I go back and forth for my love and hatred of Raw wedges, but these look fantastic. My gut tells me I will have a 56 degree in the bag at some point.
I love the look of them with the brushed steel look, but not a fan of rust on my clubs. But they look great new🤣🤣🤣

@Jman, have you guys written anything about the T Grind yet? I've seen it referred to a few times, but haven't seen anything about what that grind actually is/what it's intended for.

@Jman, have you guys written anything about the T Grind yet? I've seen it referred to a few times, but haven't seen anything about what that grind actually is/what it's intended for.
think low bounce X

Need a 54X and 58X!

Back