First Look: Cobra Golf T-Rail Irons

Lol. Just read about them on the True temper site. Neat concept.

lol i meant to include the link, busy day today - based on our conversations over the years, I think they would fit you, no?

lol i meant to include the link, busy day today - based on our conversations over the years, I think they would fit you, no?
seems like it. Usually anything in that 80-100g range works for me

I just ordered another test club, this time with the 780 ES SmacWrap. I'm interested to see how the feel differs and if it works better for me than some of the lighter graphite options. Plus, I'm not sure what the local(ish) fitter has on hand to try out so if I can sort of dial in what shaft feel I'm hoping to get before the fitting it should help. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

I just ordered another test club, this time with the 780 ES SmacWrap. I'm interested to see how the feel differs and if it works better for me than some of the lighter graphite options. Plus, I'm not sure what the local(ish) fitter has on hand to try out so if I can sort of dial in what shaft feel I'm hoping to get before the fitting it should help. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

If I went graphite that’s the option I wanted to go with. If it doesn’t work out, first dibs ?

I have a 7-SW coming with Modus 105R to match my 6i hopefully in a couple weeks.

If I went graphite that’s the option I wanted to go with. If it doesn’t work out, first dibs ?

I have a 7-SW coming with Modus 105R to match my 6i hopefully in a couple weeks.
I'll definitely post up my thoughts when I get it in. I've not tried this particular shaft before so I'm super excited to try it out. I'll let you know if it doesn't work out for me, I'm sure we can work something out or at least get it to you to try out.

Regular flex, I’m a mortal being.

My friend has been hitting his T-rail irons really well lately.. Enough so that he's selling his Cleveland launcher irons which had been his go to

Me too -I bought my T Rails on Nov. 1 and sold my Cleveland HB's a week later

Last edited:
How far do you guys typically hit your 7 iron? I use stiff and you guys have me wondering if I am over estimating myself.

Pretty sure I'm right on the border between reg/stiff.

I carry my 7 iron(HB launcher turbo) between 145-160 depending on if the golf gods are generous or not.

How far do you guys typically hit your 7 iron? I use stiff and you guys have me wondering if I am over estimating myself.

I carry my 7 iron(HB launcher turbo) between 145-160 depending on if the golf gods are generous or not.
My swing has been a bit inconsistent of late, really since the middle of last year, but based on my SkyTrak I should be carrying a 7i around 135-140. I've had the outliers that flew 150 but while that might be what I can achieve when I'm a bit more consistent those are not in my normal range. Driver swing speed at the moment runs 85-92mph for reference.

My swing has been a bit inconsistent of late, really since the middle of last year, but based on my SkyTrak I should be carrying a 7i around 135-140. I've had the outliers that flew 150 but while that might be what I can achieve when I'm a bit more consistent those are not in my normal range. Driver swing speed at the moment runs 85-92mph for reference.
Yeah if I go off my driver numbers on ust site I would be in regular, but I tend to come forward and hit low line drives with driver that robs all my distance.

If I make good contact I can hit my 7 iron 150-160 carry, which makes me think that's more of what I should base my swing speed off of? Just because I make bad contact doesn't mean I'm swinging slower if that makes sense?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Need to get out with @OITW again so I can get some more T-Rail swings in! Initial impressions were nothing but positive, good sound, looks, feel, and distance. I could see a set of these in the bag for sure.

Yeah if I go off my driver numbers on ust site I would be in regular, but I tend to come forward and hit low line drives with driver that robs all my distance.

If I make good contact I can hit my 7 iron 150-160 carry, which makes me think that's more of what I should base my swing speed off of? Just because I make bad contact doesn't mean I'm swinging slower if that makes sense?

I'm no expert in any way shape or form, but doesn't shaft selection have something to do with how smooth or violent your transition from back swing to swing is too? Far too many variables for me to try to answer your question, especially with my limited knowledge. That said, if they seem to work for you, outside of getting fitted irons, you're probably on the right track.

I'm no expert in any way shape or form, but doesn't shaft selection have something to do with how smooth or violent your transition from back swing to swing is too? Far too many variables for me to try to answer your question, especially with my limited knowledge. That said, if they seem to work for you, outside of getting fitted irons, you're probably on the right track.
I keep saying I'll get fitted one of these days but then a few months after clubs release I always see the used prices on eBay for standard clubs and they always get me.

I keep saying I'll get fitted one of these days but then a few months after clubs release I always see the used prices on eBay for standard clubs and they always get me.

Same boat, but I really mean it this time! lol

My wife just went through a fitting and after about 5 diff brands, she ordered the Cobra T Rail. Waiting for the weather to warm up to see how they work for her.

I’m usually around 140-145 carry with my 588 Altitude 7i. When I gamed the g700’s the 7i was good for 145-150 carry.

I use 85g Reg flex steel shafts in my Altitudes and 105g Modus R flex in my current cobra T-Rails and G700 irons I had.

Last edited:
This happened yesterday

1 range sesh and digging them so far.

18348C81-3A83-4B06-B188-B4AD0F11D353.jpeg
678B6D21-911F-488A-BD11-C3E03787EE12.jpegB4D7A106-0403-41EA-A7F7-3472BDCDB0CB.jpeg

I just got my 7-iron with the SmacWrap shaft in today. I’ll be hitting the sim shortly for a head to head with the DG R300. Looks great though.
883A454F-5CD0-45A9-B246-755F60E5F137.jpeg8C903F29-15B2-43BE-9D63-2FD8967927B9.jpeg

DG is a beefy shaft. I’m picking Smac Wrap
For the win.
So far yes. I loved the DG when I got it in and I’ve used it before but, so far I’m longer and higher with the SmacWrap. I’ll try to get some numbers as bad as they are right now they are good for comparison.
For the record, switching between the two shafts is an adventure.

Back