First Look: Cobra Golf T-Rail Irons

So far yes. I loved the DG when I got it in and I’ve used it before but, so far I’m longer and higher with the SmacWrap. I’ll try to get some numbers as bad as they are right now they are good for comparison.
For the record, switching between the two shafts is an adventure.

I had DG R300s taper tips soft stepped one time put in my irons and I really like them so far. I think the heft helps my consistency and they are plenty stiff enough. I swing 7 iron around 73-74 MPH.

Dave

So I had a pretty interesting test. With the SmacWrap shaft the club was 394 grams vs 453 with the DG shaft. Lighter but still comfortable for sure. SkyTrak doesn’t actually track swing speed but it calculates it. I’m not sure how accurate it is but it had me between 65-70, ball speed was 4mph faster with SmacWrap, distance was 5-8 yards further (137 avg carry) 8 yards higher peak (24 vs 16). I didn’t hit the DG as well after swinging graphite first but I did get a few “good” hits to compare. Longest carry with the DG shaft was 138, with SmacWrap I had three over 150. Longest was 155. A bit better dispersion with the SmacWrap.

overall, taking feel into the equation it wasn’t close tonight. I’ll do a little more testing but I’m very happy right now.

I had DG R300s taper tips soft stepped one time put in my irons and I really like them so far. I think the heft helps my consistency and they are plenty stiff enough. I swing 7 iron around 73-74 MPH.

Dave

you’ve got a bit more swing speed than I do right now. I like the shaft but right now, subject to change of course, I like the SmacWrap better.

Posted in the Launch Pad thread some data that I got comparing the Launch Pad 6i to the T-Rail 6i. Figured I would post it here as well in case somebody is reading this thread and not the other.

Clubs tested:
Wilson Launch Pad 6i (27*, 38", D0 Swing weight, KBS Tour 80 Stiff shaft, std lie)
Cobra T-Rail (27*, 37.75", D3 swing weight, Nippon Modus 105 Regular shaft, 2* upright)

From a dispersion standpoint both fared really well. Slight edge to the Cobra's but splitting hairs here. Both were equally easy to hit.
Trail v LP dispersion.png

Trackman Number's
LP v T-Rail_2.png
Carry, Club Speed, Ball Speed, Smash and spin all pretty much equal.
The biggest difference I see is height and Descent Angle.

I tend to struggle with getting my descent angle over 40* with a 6i...sometimes even a 7i.
So in comparing the two I like what I am seeing in terms of a higher launch angle, height height and steeper descent angle with the T-Rails.

Having said that, the reason could be that the LP's have a stiff flex vs the T-Rails having my norm (R Flex).

My main issue when I gamed the Ping G700's was stopping power with the 6i. With the 7-PW, I no issues with shot height and descent angle. But with the 6i if I didn't quite catch it right it would land too shallow, hit and skip through the green.

(Note I did remove the first shot with the T-Rail as it was a very bad swing (8k spin) to help normalize the data set (normally spin a 6i around 5k).

Posted in the Launch Pad thread some data that I got comparing the Launch Pad 6i to the T-Rail 6i. Figured I would post it here as well in case somebody is reading this thread and not the other.

Clubs tested:
Wilson Launch Pad 6i (27*, 38", D0 Swing weight, KBS Tour 80 Stiff shaft, std lie)
Cobra T-Rail (27*, 37.75", D3 swing weight, Nippon Modus 105 Regular shaft, 2* upright)

From a dispersion standpoint both fared really well. Slight edge to the Cobra's but splitting hairs here. Both were equally easy to hit.
View attachment 8932536

Trackman Number's
View attachment 8932535
Carry, Club Speed, Ball Speed, Smash and spin all pretty much equal.
The biggest difference I see is height and Descent Angle.

I tend to struggle with getting my descent angle over 40* with a 6i...sometimes even a 7i.
So in comparing the two I like what I am seeing in terms of a higher launch angle, height height and steeper descent angle with the T-Rails.

Having said that, the reason could be that the LP's have a stiff flex vs the T-Rails having my norm (R Flex).

My main issue when I gamed the Ping G700's was stopping power with the 6i. With the 7-PW, I no issues with shot height and descent angle. But with the 6i if I didn't quite catch it right it would land too shallow, hit and skip through the green.

(Note I did remove the first shot with the T-Rail as it was a very bad swing (8k spin) to help normalize the data set (normally spin a 6i around 5k).

That's a pretty interesting comparison. Looks like you may have been dead on with both with the same shaft (potentially anyway) and you were very close anyway. Maybe a little more consistent with the T-rail?

I bet these are awesome to get the ball up

That's a pretty interesting comparison. Looks like you may have been dead on with both with the same shaft (potentially anyway) and you were very close anyway. Maybe a little more consistent with the T-rail?

I felt like the TRail is a bit more consistent. But to be fair to the LP the T-Rails are built with a shaft I was previously fit into and built to 2* upright which I prefer at address.

Looks wise the T-rails win hands down for me. Also on the course I think the rails will work very well. My miss is usually fat vs thin so I think the rails will help with the heavy shots.

I felt like the TRail is a bit more consistent. But to be fair to the LP the T-Rails are built with a shaft I was previously fit into and built to 2* upright which I prefer at address.

Looks wise the T-rails win hands down for me. Also on the course I think the rails will work very well. My miss is usually fat vs thin so I think the rails will help with the heavy shots.
I'm glad you mentioned that. The rails potentially provide some playability out on the course that would be difficult to capture off a mat. Every one of your posts, I keep thinking what a good match these are for you.

T Rails 5 - GW with Recoil 460 ESX 8F8FB514-4E9D-4EFF-9C36-0BC484B8AE6D.jpeg

Hopefully you can get them out sometime soon up there! They look great with those Recoils!

Pitching Wedge and Gap Wedge will take some getting used to.

So bummed. I put off sending in my trails to get reshafted with recoils, now Cobra repair is closed until some time in April.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Pitching Wedge and Gap Wedge will take some getting used to.

I could see the lighter shaft weight being the biggest adjustment for you in the wedges unless you’re already used to that Shaft weight in a wedge.

I actually bought down to the SW in my set. Figured if I was ordering it was my chance to get a matching set.

I haven’t had a chance to hit them on the course yet but after a couple range sessions and hitting a foam ball around my yard the Wedges and especially the SW is a hoot to hit.

Also with the rails I think any of the set will be nifty around the greens. Essentially a full bag of chipper/Niblick type clubs as my buddy described them.

I could see the lighter shaft weight being the biggest adjustment for you in the wedges unless you’re already used to that Shaft weight in a wedge.

I actually bought down to the SW in my set. Figured if I was ordering it was my chance to get a matching set.

I haven’t had a chance to hit them on the course yet but after a couple range sessions and hitting a foam ball around my yard the Wedges and especially the SW is a hoot to hit.

Also with the rails I think any of the set will be nifty around the greens. Essentially a full bag of chipper/Niblick type clubs as my buddy described them.

I also like to hit half and 3/4 shots. I will need to practice those.

So these are basically altitudes with a different sole? I do theoretically think the t rail sole would be really good. Wish they had a no offset model or at least be able to add more weight to the toe.

So these are basically altitudes with a different sole? I do theoretically think the t rail sole would be really good. Wish they had a no offset model or at least be able to add more weight to the toe.

Definitely not an Altitudes remake. For that look to the Cleveland HB or Turbos. These have a much thinner top line than the Tudes for sure. The Tudes have progressive sole widths. The T-Rails have a similar sole width throughout the set.

I’m not a fan of big offset and while these have some are not offensive. I believe about the same as i210’s or Cally Apex’s. About 3mm in the 6i. Don’t quote me on that but iirc that’s about what they compared to Offset wise.

Been beating my SW around the yard during Covid seclusion. So far it’s been pretty durable finish wise.

Before:
108E56E9-5C40-4877-B054-D475E1F0F76D.jpeg
3395C2B0-B00F-4698-A457-B82C6C987CFC.jpeg
After cleaning it:
736718BE-E9B6-4CF6-816E-41801F322CA9.jpeg
256CEC1A-1448-43AF-96C7-CF0DCF4B5E37.jpeg

Hopefully you can get them out sometime soon up there! They look great with those Recoils!

They continue to look good in my bag although I took a few swings in the back yard with one of the irons.

They continue to look good in my bag although I took a few swings in the back yard with one of the irons.
I feel for you. To know the excitement that comes with new clubs, and to know you haven't been able to get them out, disappointing I'm sure. Hope everything else is going well for you though, and soon enough (hopefully) you'll be smiling as you swing these!

Given what’s going on in the world and here in America, not being able to play golf is a minor inconvenience. The T Rails will see action when the time comes. As for now, I’m imagining hitting rockets 🚀 long and straight with every swing.

I will be following how you all make out with these.

My wife just went through a fitting and after about 5 diff brands, she ordered the Cobra T Rail. Waiting for the weather to warm up to see how they work for her.
What was the deciding factors?

I have my first tee time of the year scheduled this week. I will post my feedback and observations regarding the T Rails. I have 5-GW.

Back