First Look: Cobra Golf T-Rail Irons

@erock9174 what do you think caused the extra club head speed? That looked like a big difference maker.

@JB Once @OITW gets done with this combo I’ve got dibs. Super interested in both the shaft and head.

@erock9174 what do you think caused the extra club head speed? That looked like a big difference maker.

@JB Once @OITW gets done with this combo I’ve got dibs. Super interested in both the shaft and head.

Don’t worry about OITW, he will be enamored by all of the choices you guys have to take home.:)

Available for pre-order today.

@erock9174 I'm curious what your driver speed is? Your 7 iron numbers seem close to mine. Low 90's?

@Payton333 , I am usually around 87-92 with driver. So yeah probably a 90 mph avg thereabouts.
It really all depends how loose I am, how much working out I am doing and if I am using SuperSpeed or not (haven't used it since early May).
Since switching to the Epic Flash 12* in August my GameGolf stats show me as a 229 "Typical" drive and a 224 average which is about right for me. Hot firm days help me because I am not a high ball hitter so my drives tend to run more during the warmer months.
Yesterday for example I played and it was 49* when I tee'd off and pretty damp out; I had drives ranging from 203 to 252 (level course).

The cg2 doesn't measure clubhead speed. Only Ball speed then calculates swing speed based off a constant smash (it was set to 1.36 yesterday).
So for whatever reason I was either swinging the T-Rail faster causing the added ball speed, the T-Rail is hotter than the Turbo or the T-Rail combo was simply a more efficient setup.

Theoretically I should have swung the Cleveland faster as the shaft in the Cobra was actually heavier. I believe the $CTaper lite version that Cobra uses is 115g to where the Modus 105 in the Turbo is 103g.

The $Taper Lite according to Cobra is low launch and low spin to where the Modus is mid launch, mid spin. Yet I hit the T-Rail higher with more spin than the Turbo combo.

Today at the range I hit the T-Rail with the TT XP95 and liked it alot. When you flush one, the feel/sound is very pleasing.
Once Cobra puts the single iron/custom purchase option up I am going to order a 6i and see how it plays. Since I start at a 6i I need to see if it works before committing to an entire set. So far though I really like what I see from this iron.

I know some people feel rails can have issues off range mats but I am not seeing any issues there at all and can't wait to try this on the grass.

These would be interesting to hit in the longer irons.

Hit the 7 iron today at Golf Town. The sales guy had never heard of them but the sample heads were in the case. Tried the 7 in a few different shafts and ended up liking the results in the KBS tour 90 the best. The bad part is that shaft doesn't come up as an option on the cobra web site:-(
Spin numbers were just a notch above 5000 and I gained close to 10 yards over my present irons. Apex was in and around 24 yards. Most of all I liked the feel and look. Center stikes where soft and anything away from the center still had decent results. They will be my next iron!

Im sure theyre great clubs but Id never game them. Ugly. Im also highly, highly skeptical of the t-rail technology making any difference. I had a set of Bafflers a few years ago and they were very friendly and easy to hit but I was never sold that the rails did anything.

Im sure theyre great clubs but Id never game them. Ugly. Im also highly, highly skeptical of the t-rail technology making any difference. I had a set of Bafflers a few years ago and they were very friendly and easy to hit but I was never sold that the rails did anything.
They are ugly? Why because they aren’t skinny?

for what they provide I think they have excellent presentation. They also have a good sound to them and kind of hammer the ball.

for anyone looking for launch support and turf interaction improvements, they should beat the top of the list to try.

for what they provide I think they have excellent presentation. They also have a good sound to them and kind of hammer the ball.

for anyone looking for launch support and turf interaction improvements, they should beat the top of the list to try.

These were the best looking hybrid style hollow body from the weekend.

great pairing and they got up quite easily

the deciding factor for me was actually shaft pairing

And the fact that you hit the turbos brilliantly all day today hahahaha

Yup, too thick for me. They remind me of the old Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi. If a person liked hybrids, I'm sure they're great. I happen to not be a fan of hybrids.
I'd like to see how these compare to the Tommy Armour Atomic Max.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The Turbos and the T-Rails were a couple of the most interesting clubs from the weekend. Seems like you got some extended time with both and they suit your game, fantastic stuff.

Made a similar post in True Temper Ultimate Weekend thread, but wanted to post here as well.

For anyone skeptical on the performance of these clubs, don’t be!. Coming in to the event I was biased on looks alone but as previously mentioned by my esteemed colleague Dan (Ace Ventura reference for those not following along) sounds great and the performance was impressive. The ball launched high off the face and landed softly. Hit the 5i from 190 to 8’ with a very small hop and stop.
The T rails worked very well both from the fairway or the rough. I’m a fairly aggressive swinger and the shaft pairing required a smooth swing (not me) so my miss on the day was a big high hook... shaft a bit whippy through the hitting area for me...

On the range I felt like I was trying to sweep the ball more so like a hybrid or FW club, once I started to go down at the ball i could see the performance. I consider myself a digger, my home courses have firm fairways for the most part and I have no problems taking a divot. So when I went down at the ball i was surprised with the turf interaction. Divots were normal even in soft FL.
T rails allow the clubs to glide through the hitting zone smoothly, both in the fairway or in the rough.

The Turbos and the T-Rails were a couple of the most interesting clubs from the weekend. Seems like you got some extended time with both and they suit your game, fantastic stuff.
These 2 were the first clubs I went to. Was super excited to try both which is weird because I set some new bars for mediocrity with hybrids in hand.

That scar tissue played a part for sure with the HB turbo, while in the t-Rail that wasn't the case at all. In my hands, the HB were longer when finally struck well, but the trails launched higher and super easy. Also enjoyed the feel on them.

These were the most fun club for me to hit all weekend.
Tbh, I am having some second thoughts for not picking them. I had a left miss throughout the bag on Saturday, and the Pings went just a little less left for me than these. @erock9174 , that’s the only thing I think you should pay attention to, because from following your posts for years I think the T-rails are the current top of the hybrid iron offerings In terms of launch. Check out your dispersion, possibly left, and if that isn’t an issue it will be hard for you not to adore these.

It’s funny, I always hit some funky shots with @JB around. He just pops up out of nowhere and I freeze like @TT SC staring down an obedt bladed bunker shot. I hit my most fun shot of the day in front of him with the Trail gap wedge. Opened it up out of waste and put some Trail tour sauce (patent pending). The rails allowed for some super crisp contact. Hit full shots of out the crap and they were $$. Just make sure you have the right # club in hand- it’s pretty easy to mistake them given their odd profile.

Last edited:
Hit the 7 iron today at Golf Town. The sales guy had never heard of them but the sample heads were in the case. Tried the 7 in a few different shafts and ended up liking the results in the KBS tour 90 the best. The bad part is that shaft doesn't come up as an option on the cobra web site:-(
Spin numbers were just a notch above 5000 and I gained close to 10 yards over my present irons. Apex was in and around 24 yards. Most of all I liked the feel and look. Center stikes where soft and anything away from the center still had decent results. They will be my next iron!

Check back now.
I just looked at the cobra site and if you select single irons then steel, the KBS Tour comes up for $6 more. I think the “Tour” is the 90 but you may want to contact Cobra to double check.

These 2 were the first clubs I went to. Was super excited to try both which is weird because I set some new bars for mediocrity with hybrids in hand.

That scar tissue played a part for sure with the HB turbo, while in the t-Rail that wasn't the case at all. In my hands, the HB were longer when finally struck well, but the trails launched higher and super easy. Also enjoyed the feel on them.

These were the most fun club for me to hit all weekend.
Tbh, I am having some second thoughts for not picking them. I had a left miss throughout the bag on Saturday, and the Pings went just a little less left for me than these. @erock9174 , that’s the only thing I think you should pay attention to, because from following your posts for years I think the T-rails are the current top of the hybrid iron offerings In terms of launch. Check out your dispersion, possibly left, and if that isn’t an issue it will be hard for you not to adore these.

Thanks for the feedback. So far I’ve tried these with the stock FST shaft, stock Graphite, XP95, and $ CTaper Lite and while I hit a draw by nature nothing was overly hooky.
I see that the Modus is an upgrade option. That is the shaft I was fit for last year in my Pings and usually helps tame my draw. I may try and hit that shaft too if the fitting center has it.

Thanks for the feedback. So far I’ve tried these with the stock FST shaft, stock Graphite, XP95, and $ CTaper Lite and while I hit a draw by nature nothing was overly hooky.
I see that the Modus is an upgrade option. That is the shaft I was fit for last year in my Pings and usually helps tame my draw. I may try and hit that shaft too if the fitting center has it.

Don't sleep on :TrueTemper:

Don't sleep on :TrueTemper:

I’ve now hit the T Rails with the TT XP 95, Modus 105, $ C Taper Lite, C Taper Flite and stock steel. The XP 95 is leading thus far.

I’ve now hit the T Rails with the TT XP 95, Modus 105, $ C Taper Lite, C Taper Flite and stock steel. The XP 95 is leading thus far.
I know you’ve discussed already, just wanted to double check if you’re still seeing the same things I did - easy launch & distance along with versatility from different lies.

I gotta say all of the info from this weekend has me thinking about these. I’m going to have to do a little testing in the spring I think. Between these and the forged tech they seem to have put out some winners this year.

I know you’ve discussed already, just wanted to double check if you’re still seeing the same things I did - easy launch & distance along with versatility from different lies.

The fitting center I hit at has closed their grass Tees for the season so it’s only been off the mats this far.

Back