First Look: KBS TD Graphite Wood Shaft

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New metal woods shafts from KBS and we have all of the details for you on the home page here.

Sounds similar to what they were trying to do with the TGI shafts regarding fitting people into a particular shaft by swing speed. I tried them and didn't care for the "fit" at all. Just seems like their is so much more that should be considered when fitting someone into a shaft.

This bit is interesting:

"According to KBS, the TD by design will play lighter and stiffer than most other models not the market, without any sacrifice in feel. We were told that if you enjoy the feel of their shafts, you will definitely enjoy the feel of the TD Graphite Wood Shaft."

• Admin
This bit is interesting:

"According to KBS, the TD by design will play lighter and stiffer than most other models not the market, without any sacrifice in feel. We were told that if you enjoy the feel of their shafts, you will definitely enjoy the feel of the TD Graphite Wood Shaft."

It would make sense based on their history with the hybrid proto shaft, in my opinion.

It would make sense based on their history with the hybrid proto shaft, in my opinion.

Do you think it implies that erring on the side of stiffer is better with shaft choice....?

• Admin
Do you think it implies that erring on the side of stiffer is better with shaft choice....?

No. I think the opposite. They are going to play stiffer and be lighter.

Very interesting news; have always enjoyed their iron shafts and from the write up, this seems like a solid competitor to Ventus shaft offerings

I'm excited to see how they profile. The hybrid shaft surprised me a lot, from a company i expected to be all about steel.

there seems to be some counterintuitive stuff going on here.

fitting on swing speed alone does not jibe with what i've heard from other brands. i thought it was much more about transition and load.

then the whole lighter and stiffer thing. from personal experience and also listening to some fitters, they say a tough combo for a lot of golfers is a shaft that feels light but plays really stiff. the lighter weight makes you feel like you can't get after it, but when easing back the stiffness will work against load and performance.

i dig the kbs steel iron shafts, but i'm not sure that these graphite shafts have my interest yet.

there seems to be some counterintuitive stuff going on here.

fitting on swing speed alone does not jibe with what i've heard from other brands. i thought it was much more about transition and load.

then the whole lighter and stiffer thing. from personal experience and also listening to some fitters, they say a tough combo for a lot of golfers is a shaft that feels light but plays really stiff. the lighter weight makes you feel like you can't get after it, but when easing back the stiffness will work against load and performance.

i dig the kbs steel iron shafts, but i'm not sure that these graphite shafts have my interest yet.

They aren't easing back the stiffness though, right? They are lighter AND stiffer.
Very similar to their hybrid proto.

They aren't easing back the stiffness though, right? They are lighter AND stiffer.

sorry, poorly worded on my part. i meant when you don't swing it aggressively because it feels light, you aren't putting a full load on the shaft, then the stiffness of the shaft will keep it from loading as intended and you'll lose launch, spin, etc. at least that's what i felt when i had some light and stiff shafts.

Reactions: JB
I have played the KBS Tour steel and hybrid graphite shafts for a couple of years now and live them. I may have to give this a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That hybrid proto shaft is rebar

I cannot wait to try these out. When will we be able to get our hands on these bad boys? I love my C-Taper Lites. I also want to hear more about the Swing Speed System.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very interesting...will definitely be checking out feedback as these start getting tested.

I believe I will have a couple of these in hand soon.

Considering the amount of play the tour proto hybrid gets play at all levels, I'm sure this will be a solid lineup.

The fitting to speed is slightly concerning, but makes it easy for a purchase. If you like firmer get one step up, softer one step down. Since ultimately I feel like within a single lineup the different weights and flexes are trying to tailor in that feel based on speed you present and what an individual wants as feedback.

@ddec has this in hand and should be able to give you guys feedback soon.

@ddec has this in hand and should be able to give you guys feedback soon.

Yup it got delivered Monday night. Unfortunately I've been out of town since Monday AM. But as soon as I get back I can't wait to open it up and install in my flash.

TXG just released a video on the 60 gram category 5. People always talk about what's more important, head or shaft. This video shows its a combination of the right fit. Results with the shaft looked pretty darn good!

TXG just released a video on the 60 gram category 5. People always talk about what's more important, head or shaft. This video shows its a combination of the right fit. Results with the shaft looked pretty darn good!
For the TM head, yes. Not the Ping head though. I didn't realize til seeing one of the earlier PXG videos that the ping head is about 10g heavier than most heads, and basically requires a high balance point shaft to keep the swingweight down to something manageable. That would work great from someone that plays their driver a little shorter.

What was it at... D9.5 at 45" playing length with the G410LST head? Crazy.

For the TM head, yes. Not the Ping head though. I didn't realize til seeing one of the earlier PXG videos that the ping head is about 10g heavier than most heads, and basically requires a high balance point shaft to keep the swingweight down to something manageable. That would work great from someone that plays their driver a little shorter.

What was it at... D9.5 at 45" playing length with the G410LST head? Crazy.

yea thats what I meant. The shaft may be a good fit but its also important to get the right head in it. also vice versa.

I must have missed that part. I know the TM was D3.5. if the ping was 9.5 thats crazy!!!

yea thats what I meant. The shaft may be a good fit but its also important to get the right head in it. also vice versa.

I must have missed that part. I know the TM was D3.5. if the ping was 9.5 thats crazy!!!
Yeah. Ian said it was just short of E0. And that's at 45". Imagine the swingweight if it was at the standard 45 3/4"... E4ish? Daaang! Like swinging a sledgehammer.

Last edited:
No. I think the opposite. They are going to play stiffer and be lighter.

That’s how the hybrid shaft plays...

That’s how the hybrid shaft plays...

That shaft is rebar compared to most hybrid shafts in similar flex

Back