First Look: TaylorMade SIM2 Driver, Fairway Woods, Hybrids

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Last year TaylorMade introduced the world to the SIM driver. A driver that focused very much on clubhead aerodynamics to help deliver speed to golfers worldwide. SIM fairway woods brought back the famous V-Steel sole, while the SIM Max hybrid was good enough to be found in Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy bags. Today, we get our first look at the SIM2 lineup of woods and hybrids, and by the sounds of it, this isn’t just a rehash of 2020. 

TaylorMade-SIM2-Max-1.jpg

SIM2, SIM2 Max, SIM2 MAX D Driver 

Last year, the SIM drivers’ main focus was the redesigned shape, with a concentrated effort on the Aerodynamic Asymmetric Sole and Inertia Generator. Thanks to that Inertia Generator, the sole looked slightly different from many...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
These look nice - really like the custom options.

Great write up!

The custom options will be huge for them imo. I loved my SIM Max I had last year. Looking forward to testing one out.

Love the new lineup .. have already been on the site playing around with options but won't order until the 150% trade in

Great shaft options too. I'm looking at the hzrdus smoke blue for both driver and 3w. Also really excited they brought back the adjustable hybrid. Hello 2h 17*!

It looks like the big upgrade came in the drivers here. They have taken radial weighting to the extreme here it looks like and totally removed almost all the weight from the sole. Really looking forward to seeing some numbers here from testing. It appears as though every clubmaker is just bringing absolute 🔥 this year.

• Staff
These look nice - really like the custom options.

The custom options right out of the gate sounded cool to me too.

First of all great write-up. I just can't explain it, especially being a diehard TM guy for most of my golfing life, but these just don't appeal to me for some reason. The tech sounds cool, look pretty good, but they just don't do it for me.

Enjoyed the writeup! There is a lot to like about this lineup!

Nice write up must say the top of the Sim2 hybrids look very appealing.

Very nice review @ddec !! I love the color scheme on these. I have not gotten along well with the last few TM drivers (I don't get along with many drivers actually), but I look forward to hitting these when the local guy gets them in.

First of all great write-up. I just can't explain it, especially being a diehard TM guy for most of my golfing life, but these just don't appeal to me for some reason. The tech sounds cool, look pretty good, but they just don't do it for me.
One problem for me is everything I see driver wise is an automatic nay with how well I am hitting the B21. It has changed my game in 4 months.

One problem for me is everything I see driver wise is an automatic nay with how well I am hitting the B21. It has changed my game in 4 months.
Could be the same for me, subconsciously I just know it won't be as good :LOL:.

Nice write up. I haven’t gravitated towards TM drivers or fairways. I have hit the new releases each year and tended to find them fast, long, and a little less forgiving and harder to keep straight.

I have hit the sim2 and, honestly, found it delightful. Launch, spin, and ball speed were right where I want. And best of all it felt nicely forgiving and straight. My miss of late is a hook. And if I start trying to swing to correct that I can go down the path of pull hooks and push slices. With the sim2, I didn’t have to worry about any of that. My g410 lst is solid for now, but if I make a switch the sim2 and mav (typo) epic max ls are both right there for with enough goodness that I might grab one or the other.

Maybe more importantly for setting up my bag this year, I look forward to trying the sim2 fairways and rescues. If the goodness I felt with the driver carries through, I will be in a serious ponder mode.

Last edited:
Lots of tech in these clubs. The hybrid is really interesting!

Nice write-up! Why must they tempt me yet again?!

I like the look of the driver and hybrids. The color scheme and package looks really good to me. The fairways though, no thanks.

As a 2020 Sim Max driver user & lover, I don't really see anything that moves the needle in the drivers, but the fws and hybrids sound fun.

i am more interested in this lineup than i expected. i love the custom color options, because i have despised that chalk crown line. i'm assuming they're still doing made-for ventus?

Great write up @ddec! A $400 fairway wood!😳

Those aren't bad looking. I like the options for customizing them

Looks like the TXG guys put this one through the paces. Seems like subtle differences but nothing earth shattering.

Last year TaylorMade introduced the world to the SIM driver. A driver that focused very much on clubhead aerodynamics to help deliver speed to golfers worldwide. SIM fairway woods brought back the famous V-Steel sole, while the SIM Max hybrid was good enough to be found in Dustin Johnson and Rory McIlroy bags. Today, we get our first look at the SIM2 lineup of woods and hybrids, and by the sounds of it, this isn’t just a rehash of 2020.

Continue reading...
well written. This driver is very interesting.. I like it but I am still trying to figure it out..

i have a TM fitting coming up...should be interesting.

They look way better than I thought they would. Add in the fact they took out the screws on the face which some people didn’t love annnnnd made the face larger? Wow. Could be a home run. I e gotta wonder about the sound with all that carbon and no titanium. It has to be more muted.

The hybrids look sleek.

Back