First Look: Titleist 2020 AVX Golf Ball

I wanted to say I beat the ever-living crap out of a ball today with some buddies in a simulator today. The ball was a big hit for performance but I was really impressed with the durability. The ink from the print started to rub off but the cover is still in great shape. Did I mention I beat the heck out of it?
I've noticed that too. I have used the same ball for, like, three rounds and only had to take it out of play when I scuffed it on a cart path. Better than many of the Surlyn balls I've tried. That makes the price a little easier to swallow too I guess. Though I would usually lose it by then.

@Molten In your testing, what are you seeing for peak height and land angle numbers in comparison to your normal numbers/other balls (if you know them)? With AVX being touted as a "lower launching" ball, I am just curious how those two data points might play out.

Is this replacing the Pro V1 or is this their cheaper ball?

Is this replacing the Pro V1 or is this their cheaper ball?

It will be the same price point. It is a softer version of the ProV1 basically.

@Molten In your testing, what are you seeing for peak height and land angle numbers in comparison to your normal numbers/other balls (if you know them)? With AVX being touted as a "lower launching" ball, I am just curious how those two data points might play out.
I'll get you this information ASAP. I only have one long session with the new ball and a super short one but none comparing it to my normal ball. I'll do my best to get you this information by the weekend.

I'll get you this information ASAP. I only have one long session with the new ball and a super short one but none comparing it to my normal ball. I'll do my best to get you this information by the weekend.

Thanks - I appreciate it. This will likely go head-to-head with the new Chrome Soft for a spot in my bag for the season. I've liked the AVX in the past, but for me, my peak height and land angle are a hair on the low side for my irons, so if that's the case with this ball, it may not fit me the best.

Thanks - I appreciate it. This will likely go head-to-head with the new Chrome Soft for a spot in my bag for the season. I've liked the AVX in the past, but for me, my peak height and land angle are a hair on the low side for my irons, so if that's the case with this ball, it may not fit me the best.
I think I have chrome softs I can go side by side with if you would prefer that.

Love the current version and cannot wait to try this one!

A lot of ball talk is going to be focused on another big release today, but has anyone been doing any more testing with the new AVX?

A lot of ball talk is going to be focused on another big release today, but has anyone been doing any more testing with the new AVX?
I’m holding off for warmer temps. I’ve decided I see zero benefit during colder days.

I started a thread comparing the new AVX and Pro V1X, where I compared on TrackMan 56 degree wedge shots and pw shots. I was quite surprised to learn that the spin difference was pretty negligible.

Below is a screenshot of some swings using this ball and a 58 degree TaylorMade Hi Toe wedge. The spin is very impressive for a ball that is supposed to be lower spin. I am rapidly narrowing in on this as my potential gamer for 2020.

98809D4F-DEE9-4C63-AD4A-228D12DD55D6.png

Ohhhh yeah. I’ve fallen in like with it (although it needs to see the rest of the 2020 challengers). Durability is off the charts. And I’m seeing really good spin numbers to be silly long.

I’m holding off for warmer temps. I’ve decided I see zero benefit during colder days.
So am I. When my club opens in about a month I'll go out there on a couple warm(er) afternoons and test them where it really matters.

SO, thanks to @JB I found the thread again.

I'm curious if anyone has been playing the new AVX and how they feel about it. Not monitor testing, but on course results. I only started fiddling with it late last year, and noticed the same thing a lot of people did. Feels really soft, little lower driver flight, little higher mid-short iron flight, less spin overall, and definitely a little harder to stop around the greens.

I ask because I played the 2020 yesterday (in strong wind) and while it's just one round I definitely felt some wind immunity over other balls, but really didn't have any trouble at all holding, stopping, or spinning it on approach or around the greens.

I had a few mishits off the tee that I'm virtually certain would have been worse with a higher flying or spinning ball, but that didn't really surprise me. What did was that I backed up some approach shots in what seemed like normal fashion, clipped a few short wedges that had expected bite, etc, etc. I had to play a couple provisionals (like I said, not my best tee day), and couldn't hear shots as well in the wind, so there was a few times I actually checked/double checked when I got to my ball to make sure I hadn't accidentally made a switch without realizing.

I spin my irons pretty well, so I won't judge too much on that, but the little 50-60 yard wedges really surprised me each time. I tend to play them lower than a lot of people so spin changes show up quick in rollout, and that was where I really felt/saw a difference last year with AVX. The rollout was problematic for that style of pitch. Really surprising outcomes yesterday. I hit a few flat bunker outs on a previous hole when we were backed up on a tee, and same surprising results.

Probably a one day anomaly, but anyone else care to share their experience with it so far on course?!

SO, thanks to @JB I found the thread again.

I'm curious if anyone has been playing the new AVX and how they feel about it. Not monitor testing, but on course results. I only started fiddling with it late last year, and noticed the same thing a lot of people did. Feels really soft, little lower driver flight, little higher mid-short iron flight, less spin overall, and definitely a little harder to stop around the greens.

I ask because I played the 2020 yesterday (in strong wind) and while it's just one round I definitely felt some wind immunity over other balls, but really didn't have any trouble at all holding, stopping, or spinning it on approach or around the greens.

I had a few mishits off the tee that I'm virtually certain would have been worse with a higher flying or spinning ball, but that didn't really surprise me. What did was that I backed up some approach shots in what seemed like normal fashion, clipped a few short wedges that had expected bite, etc, etc. I had to play a couple provisionals (like I said, not my best tee day), and couldn't hear shots as well in the wind, so there was a few times I actually checked/double checked when I got to my ball to make sure I hadn't accidentally made a switch without realizing.

I spin my irons pretty well, so I won't judge too much on that, but the little 50-60 yard wedges really surprised me each time. I tend to play them lower than a lot of people so spin changes show up quick in rollout, and that was where I really felt/saw a difference last year with AVX. The rollout was problematic for that style of pitch. Really surprising outcomes yesterday. I hit a few flat bunker outs on a previous hole when we were backed up on a tee, and same surprising results.

Probably a one day anomaly, but anyone else care to share their experience with it so far on course?!
I’m playing it on course but the conditions are not conducive to me making a gamer decision yet. The greens are really soft, so I’m not reading much into it. And it does perform well into the wind from what I’ve seen so far (at least as good as a few stand outs)

A very good article. For the price though I'll wait for the MGS 2020 ball test before I select my ball for the year. Currently playing the Srixon Z-Star because of their test and it is very good for my game and the price is right.

Solid write up @Molten, thanks for your thoughts. Really enjoying this ball so far.

3 layer, 80 compression. Softer feel, lesser of a prov1, I’ve read a lot that this is a good wind ball.

Thanks to a contest I have tried these out... Good ball and feels like RX.IMAGE_M_ID_28286_20200309191824.jpg

Bumping this thread to see if anyone can add any updated thoughts on the 2020 AVX.

Bumping this thread to see if anyone can add any updated thoughts on the 2020 AVX.
Yeah, I can certainly try. It’s a great ball if it works for you and you can use some lower spin. The cover holds up really well, like really well. It does exactly what they say it does, which is refreshing

@Iceman! - what questions do you have?

Back