Titleist Vokey SM8 Wedges

Had my first range session with these in a grind setup I wouldn't normally go with. Grouping was really TIGHT! But I was hitting them extremely HIGH. Could be the shafts. Feel was nice and crisp. I was hitting most just off center out towards the toe with the 54 and 60. May bend 1-2degrees flat.
What shafts?

Stock wedge for now. But might put KBS 610s in there in the future. Or at least I'm leaning that way
610....a unique wedge shaft. Nice.

Stock wedge for now. But might put KBS 610s in there in the future. Or at least I'm leaning that way
Def not surprised you were launching the stock setup.

Def not surprised you were launching the stock setup.

Coming from the Honmas with the modus 125 wedge shaft I’m pretty certain it’s completely shaft related here. Pretty comical at first when I was hitting some wedge shots looking up and not seeing anything and realimg I had to keep looking up higher to find the ball. some serious hang time

I remain super happy with my decision to go 62 with this set. It’s further eliminated my “want” to hit it from further distances than I should, while actually being more effective in how I want to play that spot in the bag. Crazy, but holy **** with the M grind it works.

First round with the new 58 D Grind today was a big success. Hit some really good full(ish) swings with it, and also chipped one in when I was short sided and had to slightly flop one. Big big fan.

Had a short game lesson yesterday with these in the bag. We worked on shots 60yrds and in which was mostly my 60M Grind and it was a champ. Easily able to flight the ball. Something I’ve never done before (came in way of technique through the lesson) and I was spinning rock range balls like a champ. I cringe on short sided green side chips off tight lies and had a blast with the 60M here. I used the 54D greenside as well for longer chip with more green to work with and the turf interaction with this grind was excellent as well! Excited to put these in play!

View attachment trim.9BC1A105-2472-462C-9933-E7D5373CA305.MOV

Had a short game lesson yesterday with these in the bag. We worked on shots 60yrds and in which was mostly my 60M Grind and it was a champ. Easily able to flight the ball. Something I’ve never done before (came in way of technique through the lesson) and I was spinning rock range balls like a champ. I cringe on short sided green side chips off tight lies and had a blast with the 60M here. I used the 54D greenside as well for longer chip with more green to work with and the turf interaction with this grind was excellent as well! Excited to put these in play!

View attachment 8947594
Told you. The D grind is LEGIT!

I'm going D in the 60

D will be my 54 or 56(whichever one I bend to 55). M in the 60 but I could easily go D in that too.

Copied from my post in the Vokey Experience Thread. See that for a few photos:

Finally getting a chance to recap my fitting back on Thursday. I had it at the UT Golf Club as part of the Titleist Thursdays with John Feenkin. I started about by bring up my 9i, pw, and my 50 and 54. I started with the 9i to get warmed up and so he could get an idea of my gapping from the 9 to Pw to get an idea for the next wedge in line. I told him before the first shot that I tend to come in steep and take a pretty good size divot. After the first shot in which I was a little steeper than normal he was like "You are right about that. That was a negative 11* angle of attack." I started off pulling a few but got them straightened out by the time I got to the wedges. My distances with the 9i were 160-165, 150-155 with the pw. Looking for something in that 135-140 range we decided on a 48 bent 1* weak. He made the remark that he could count on one hand the number of people with the swing speed I have on my wedges. With the 48* I had a SS of 91 mph. The next wedge we decided on was a 54 and then a 58 for my highest lofted.

After getting those we then went to the chipping green with 3 grinds for the 54 and 58. One of the nice things about the UT Golf Club is that they have Practice ProV1's which really lets you tell how the balls spins and checks. We went through the 54 first with me hitting chips to a near and then far flag with each of the 3. I then moved into the bunker and hit shots to the near and far flag like the chips. He then asked what I thought about feel and spin and which one I would eliminate. I picked one and he said he agreed. We then went below the green to a tightly mowed area and I chipped with both from their. After hitting several there he asked which one I thought felt and performed better. Once again I chose the one he thought as well. Throughout this I was hitting a bunch of close shots and he mentioned I needed to give him some lessons.:ROFLMAO:

We repeated this process with 58* but added in some chips from the other side of the bunker to the flag just over it and one a little longer but with a downslope to it. Once of the clubs seemed to be much easier for me to open a little and flop while the others seemed to come off a little lower. He was a little surprised by which 58* was better for me as it wasn't the one he thought it would be.

After that our time was done and we went to the tent to get the write up on the specs. One of the guys from the club told him about my swing speed with the wedges and told him he needed to see me hit as it was so high but with control. I hit a couple which were both pretty good shots where I was aiming. The guys was impressed a little. I also told them at that point about how I won the experience and they both thought it was really awesome.

The final selection.

48* 14 bounce F grind bent 1* week. He recommended with my swing to go with the S400 shaft. I will stick with the S200 for the other two to keep a little better feel on the shorter shots.

54* 14 bounce F grind. This is a little different as it's higher bounce than my current 54* which is a 10 bounce S grind.

58* 10 bounce S grind. He though I would be another 14 degree bounce with this one but the lower bounce performed much better for me.

Overall it was a great experience and I learned a lot. The range and facilities were great and I would love to go back and do another fitting there.

D will be my 54 or 56(whichever one I bend to 55). M in the 60 but I could easily go D in that too.
Go M in the 60.

As much as I love my current SM7's, some of the shots I hit with the SM8's during the fitting just felt so pure off the face and the turf interaction was great. I'm so excited to get these in the bag!

56D grind is just ridiculous after some of these shots I pulled off this morning.

Been playing the 54 and 58 both in D grind last few rounds and have been loving them. I did hit a bad shot from a really thin lie today where a bit less bounce might have helped but that has been the only time I felt that way. It is absolutely great in the rough.

56D grind is just ridiculous after some of these shots I pulled off this morning.
D grind is the real deal. M grind on steroids, and it’s awesome.

As much as I love my current SM7's, some of the shots I hit with the SM8's during the fitting just felt so pure off the face and the turf interaction was great. I'm so excited to get these in the bag!

I cannot wait to get these in hand and start playing them!

Yesterday was my day to be fit for my wedges. There were no Titleist fit days in my area so i had to find someone who could help. I really wanted to try these wedges out on the turf and in a bunker. Surprisingly enough the little course about 1.5 miles from my house was able to help me out. They had almost all of the wedges in stock and the pro was more than accommodating to me.

We had a 1pm time set and when i arrived it was a cool 103* out! I went and warmed while he grabbed his flightscope and the wedges. After he was set up we discussed my current wedges and what i liked to use them for. I currently have Titleist T300 irons that stop at a GW which is 48*. First SM8 that i hit was the 52/12 F grind. The club in hand feels great one thing i really like was the weight in the head of the wedge. I hit about 8 shots with this club all right where i was aiming. He was watching the distance i was hitting to make sure the gaps were going to work out.

Next wedge up was a 56/14 F grind also. I hit full shots and 3/4 shots with it. The feeling was the same as the 52 and and the yardage gaps was really good. I had no bad shots with either of these clubs. Turf interaction was a nice clean divot without digging a trench.

I had explained to the pro that i love my 60* wedge and i use it for pretty much anything 80 yards and in. We had targets to aim at at 25-50-75 yards to hit at. He had two clubs and he asked me not to look at them till we were done. First round was chipping at 25 yards with each club. Then a series of three shots at the 50 yard net. We then did 75 yard shots to see the feel on a longer shot. One club stood out between the two and it was not even close for me. The 60/12 D Grind was unbelievable! In all three of those scenarios that club performed very easy for me. The other 60* club was the K Grind. I did not get the same clean chips or pitches with that grind. It was not bad and would work but being able to test them out the D Grind was the clear winner.

We then took the 60 in the D grind to the bunker area they have to try it out. Out of 8 shots each one was on the green with a nice soft landing and a little roll out. I tried it from super soft piled up sand and we dug down to get into the harder sand underneath. Very easy to get the ball out and stay on the green! For our conditions here in AZ i think we picked a good set up and i am looking forward to getting these in hand!

Here are the final specs

SM8 52/12 F-Grind Standard lie and length
SM8 56/14 F-Grind 1* flat Standard length
SM8 60/12 D-Grind 1* flat Standard length

Shafts are the Vokey TT S200 wedge shafts
Grips -GP Tour velvet in white
Finish will be all Tour Chrome- I know boring but i cant do the raw lol!

I am really looking forward to improving my approach shots and short game with these. The perimeter weighting in the SM8 just feels fantastic. No sound issues for me they were what i would expect. My pics are not going to be like @Bryndom and that beautiful place he went to lol. Brent at Rolling Hills GC was outstanding and his service was spot on!

hills1.jpg

hills2.jpg

hills3.jpg

hills4.jpg

hills5.jpg

Vokey/Titleist knocked it out of the park on my SM8 wedges i got for the 2020 Vokey Experience! I did not expect such a fast turn around and it was an awesome call to get this aft while working from home that i had a package at the office! These wedges are beautiful and i cannot wait to go play tomorrow! I will be putting a review up on each club. Here are some pics for you gear junkies!

SM8.jpgSM8-1.jpgSM8-2.jpgSM8-3.jpgSM8-4.jpgSM8-5.jpgsm8-6.jpgsm8-7.jpgsm8-8.jpgsm8-9.jpg

So i have two rounds in with the SM8's now and i have NEVER had wedges that drop and stop like this. My first day out was on a course that was in horrible shape and like dirt right now. Had a tough time but had not had any practice with them. Today we went about an hour and half early as i wanted to just hit the three new wedges so could get some feel for them. I spent about 30 minutes at the chipping pitching green with some bunker practice using the 60 then made my way to the range for the 52 and the 56.

The clubs are like butter when you hit them. Fantastic results and the gaping we picked is working well. What i do have to get use to is the check so hard that i need to play it longer onto the green to be closer to the pin. Every time i grabbed one of these i was confident it was going on the green. I will be doing a review of each club and want to get a few more rounds in with them for that!

The 60 with the D grind is AMAZING! Four for 4 out of the bunker today! Best part is no fat chips and nothing left short.

wedge shot1.jpgwedge shot 2.jpg

Unwrapping and 1st look at the new Vokey wedges: 1st 2 pictures in their travel box, then the plastic wrapped club heads, faces and grips; that all happened yesterday late, so today they traveled to the range to see how if I was worthy of their use. The yellow stones are for full swings later, all my chipping practice is with soft balls I've found. 1st up was the 60 degree wedge which I have never owned and I noticed it is a fair amount heavier than my Cleveland wedge or my W-S gap and PW. The 60 was really marvelous for control and stoppage and will be my go to club now around the 18 greens that I tend to miss more often than not with my approach shots. The pattern on the green is real and the results of the 60 while the 2nd green photo is the 56 degree wedge shots superimposed on the prior ones. You can see I wasn't quite as accurate with that club and I noticed the launch angle is a fair amount lower than my Cleveland. Will take some getting used to, but I will rely on the 60, I think. On to full shots with the yellow rocks and I could tell you have to pay attention to your swing with these clubs. At first I had a tendency to go completely under the ball so once I concentrated on hitting the ball first and not the turf, I got good results. It was awfully windy when I practiced so not sure what yardage I will get with the 3 wedges and will have to play a few rounds to see if the huge gap I had with my other clubs is filled. I was really missing an 80 yard club and wasn't having much luck with an 80% gap wedge. Really stoked to try them in a round soon and will report back. Thanks Mr. Vokey, thanks Titleist and thanks THP!:p

Attachments

Vokey/Titleist knocked it out of the park on my SM8 wedges i got for the 2020 Vokey Experience! I did not expect such a fast turn around and it was an awesome call to get this aft while working from home that i had a package at the office! These wedges are beautiful and i cannot wait to go play tomorrow! I will be putting a review up on each club. Here are some pics for you gear junkies!

View attachment 8951594View attachment 8951595View attachment 8951596View attachment 8951597View attachment 8951600View attachment 8951601View attachment 8951602View attachment 8951603View attachment 8951604View attachment 8951605
love the THP addition!

Unwrapping and 1st look at the new Vokey wedges: 1st 2 pictures in their travel box, then the plastic wrapped club heads, faces and grips; that all happened yesterday late, so today they traveled to the range to see how if I was worthy of their use. The yellow stones are for full swings later, all my chipping practice is with soft balls I've found. 1st up was the 60 degree wedge which I have never owned and I noticed it is a fair amount heavier than my Cleveland wedge or my W-S gap and PW. The 60 was really marvelous for control and stoppage and will be my go to club now around the 18 greens that I tend to miss more often than not with my approach shots. The pattern on the green is real and the results of the 60 while the 2nd green photo is the 56 degree wedge shots superimposed on the prior ones. You can see I wasn't quite as accurate with that club and I noticed the launch angle is a fair amount lower than my Cleveland. Will take some getting used to, but I will rely on the 60, I think. On to full shots with the yellow rocks and I could tell you have to pay attention to your swing with these clubs. At first I had a tendency to go completely under the ball so once I concentrated on hitting the ball first and not the turf, I got good results. It was awfully windy when I practiced so not sure what yardage I will get with the 3 wedges and will have to play a few rounds to see if the huge gap I had with my other clubs is filled. I was really missing an 80 yard club and wasn't having much luck with an 80% gap wedge. Really stoked to try them in a round soon and will report back. Thanks Mr. Vokey, thanks Titleist and thanks THP!:p

Attachments
Forgot to mention, my asst. pro was drooling over these!

Back