First swing at the range?

I warm up hitting trap draw 8 irons to get the feel of controlling the club face. From there I jump around between long and short.

I’ll warm up and stretch using my 7i, so I’ll just keep that club in hand to make my first swings.

Most of my range time this year has been pre-round. I typically stretch pretty well while I'm waiting for playing partners to show up, so when I actually get to the range I'll grab 4-5 clubs (always include the driver) and set them in the rack. I just grab one at random and swing. I don't look at what club it is. I just grab it and start with about 80% swings and move up to playing speed within about three balls. I'll hit about 8 balls per club and end with the driver. I won't move to the putting green until I hit at least one driver dead nuts. I'll putt about ten balls to get the speed for the day and then it's off to the first tee.

pw nice smooth looking for that groove 75 yds

I don't often use the range. But when I do, I follow what I'd read Tom Watson recommend many years ago.

He said to at first use the longest club that you'd feel confident that you can hit well enough to start. He says this because he found that while shorter clubs are easier to hit during warm-up, they'll also tend to speed up one's tempo. He said the longer club would better set tempo out of the gate and for the rest of the day.

That said, I'll start anywhere from 7i to 4H, depending upon how I'm feeling that day. With hybrid (and rarely too, 5W), I'll often tee-up the first few swings to make it easier on myself.

I usually start with a nice thinned sand wedge 👌.

I don't often use the range. But when I do, I follow what I'd read Tom Watson recommend many years ago.

He said to at first use the longest club that you'd feel confident that you can hit well enough to start. He says this because he found that while shorter clubs are easier to hit during warm-up, they'll also tend to speed up one's tempo. He said the longer club would better set tempo out of the gate and for the rest of the day.

That said, I'll start anywhere from 7i to 4H, depending upon how I'm feeling that day. With hybrid (and rarely too, 5W), I'll often tee-up the first few swings to make it easier on myself.

Thats pretty interesting. I’ve found myself falling into the trap of swinging harder as I move up bag to the point where I have to tell myself “wait for it, wait for it”. Definitely battling tempo.

I’m gonna give this a whirl…..

I'll usually head over to the chipping green first and work on some chips/pitches, then head over to the range and start with some easy wedges.

After a bit of stretching, I will take out the Big dog and wail away for 5 or 6. Don’t care about direction or distance- just to really loosen up the muscles a bit. Then into my club to club progression from 1/2 swing pitches with SW, then 5 balls for each club through the bag. Even # irons, then Odd # irons, Hyb, fairways then Driver. If I’m working on something particular (usually irons) I take my 6 and really work on that one thing for a bit. The last 25-30 are “Shot Routine Drivers”. Hit, stop, get behind the target line and begin the routine again. I am not “Machine Gun Kelly” out there.

Always 8i, don't like starting with a wedge, prefer the easier swing with a mid iron.

3/4 swing with my 56. I repeat that until I break in my tempo

Back