First Time Fitting Questions

radiman

#TheGrandaddy2019
Reaction score
Handicap
So, I have booked my first formal club fitting for next Thursday at Totally Driven in the Twin Cities area. The thing is, I have already purchased a driver this year and don't really plan on buying a different one. I am open to the idea of adjusting my current setup or getting a different shaft. Since I have never gone through the process, I don't really know what the focus usually is. I am really hoping to get a plethora of information. First, I want to know my own swing specs (path, AoA, SS, smash factor, base spin, strike tendency) from a reputable source like a club fitter rather than a simulator or lower end LM in a retail store. From there, I am mainly interested in getting a recommendation on what type of profile would suit me and my current driver head the best. What the best playing length would be. What the best swing weight and head weight would be. Should I be tipping the shaft. Should I be adding hotmelt? Etc...

Is this information typically discussed in detail or am I to expect the fitter to mainly focus on just head and shaft combos with not much regard to the small details? I know fitters are all different and there will be good and bad. Since I have never gone through the process, I just really don't know what to expect.

When you get to your fitting, tell the fitter all of this. Tell 'em exactly what you want/looking for.
I got my iron fitting in December & found out all of my #'s & Club Champion emailed them to me.
I know now that I swing my 6 iron with decent speed & I'm slight above average spin profile, my Modus 105 is a good shaft, but 120 works too etc. etc.

I asked a million questions.

When you get to your fitting, tell the fitter all of this. Tell 'em exactly what you want/looking for.
I got my iron fitting in December & found out all of my #'s & Club Champion emailed them to me.
I know now that I swing my 6 iron with decent speed & I'm slight above average spin profile, my Modus 105 is a good shaft, but 120 works too etc. etc.

I asked a million questions.

Oh, I will. I just get nervous when it's something I have no experience with. I will have a predetermined list of things I hope to answer. But, I will get lost in the process and forget to ask half the questions I make a mental note of. Maybe I should jot some stuff down and have it handy to make sure I at least get the meat of it.

Oh, I will. I just get nervous when it's something I have no experience with. I will have a predetermined list of things I hope to answer. But, I will get lost in the process and forget to ask half the questions I make a mental note of. Maybe I should jot some stuff down and have it handy to make sure I at least get the meat of it.

Does the fitter have gcquad or another method of getting path/face data? Is it a full bag fitting, or driver only fitting? None of what you have listed seems unreasonable, especially if you already have you the driver you want to play this season in hand. Tell him that, and ask that you want to optimize this club for you. Don't know if you are open to other shafts, but there are settings and ways to adjust the weight in that head that could probably optimize the club for you.

When I went for my fitting I had a notebook with some questions in it already so I wouldn't forget and also then a place to write things down so I wouldn't forget them. not sure if that is something you want to do, but just something I found helpful.

I was sweating bullets before hand. I don't like being the center of attention most times.
My fitter was real nice & calm. He also looked like he was up late :)

Does the fitter have gcquad or another method of getting path/face data? Is it a full bag fitting, or driver only fitting? None of what you have listed seems unreasonable, especially if you already have you the driver you want to play this season in hand. Tell him that, and ask that you want to optimize this club for you. Don't know if you are open to other shafts, but there are settings and ways to adjust the weight in that head that could probably optimize the club for you.

When I went for my fitting I had a notebook with some questions in it already so I wouldn't forget and also then a place to write things down so I wouldn't forget them. not sure if that is something you want to do, but just something I found helpful.

I am pretty confident that it is a Trackman shop. And, it is driver only. I didn't want to go through a full bag fitting in the off season. Plus, I am pretty happy with my irons as is. Not as many unknowns there.

I was sweating bullets before hand. I don't like being the center of attention most times.
My fitter was real nice & calm. He also looked like he was up late :)

Lol. Yeah, if you want to get me to start making crappy swings, put a complete stranger in front of me critiquing my shots. I fully expect the less than stellar results until my nerves calm down. Even just having a store employee watch me hit demo clubs makes me a little uncomfortable.

Just be honest with yourself and tell him what you hope to get out of it. If he's a good fitter I bet he will ask a ton of questions of you anyway. I enjoyed the experience at club champion.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

One thing I learned about the few times I have visited Club Champion is, to make sure I was swinging how I normally swing. I could feel myself wanting to try and swing out of my shoes just to see a bigger number, but I kept telling myself to do what I normally do - good or bad. I feel that helped with dialing in. End result, I feel really good about all my clubs now. Just a thought.

Lol. Yeah, if you want to get me to start making crappy swings, put a complete stranger in front of me critiquing my shots. I fully expect the less than stellar results until my nerves calm down. Even just having a store employee watch me hit demo clubs makes me a little uncomfortable.

Don't worry, you're not alone!

I was really nervous last year when I did my first fitting, especially after my shot shape became suboptimal halfway through. My confidence held up much better today because I know that my fitter wasn't going to judge the hosel shots since they're understanding and they see all ranges of golfers. I had a list of clubs that I wanted to hit and still forgot to ask about three of the irons and a couple drivers.

Ask every question that you want to have answered. That's the most important part to getting the best results from your session.

T minus 30 minutes. We were so rushed this morning I completely pulled one of my classic moves of leaving my notes at home.
02cdf3d2159e0c6217b838afa3f8ae2a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Interested to see how your experience with them is as I have been thinking of giving them a try for a fitting.

Interested to see how your experience with them is as I have been thinking of giving them a try for a fitting.
I'll type something up in detail when in on a computer. In short, it was a good experience. But, I've got no other experiences to compare it to.

In the end, my current combo was my best fit. 70 grams, low launch and spin is where I need to reside. I was hoping that the Accra TZ line would work out as they felt great. Unfortunately, the results weren't there. If the Oban hashimoto was available in 75 grams, I would have bought it. the only other shaft that came close to matching the pro orange was the Oban kiyoshi black. It offered similar performance, but was a little easier to manage as I tired out. But, I don't plan on hitting 80 drives during the course of any of my rounds. So, I don't think that I can expect myself to get as tired as I did during the fitting. Plus, it would have set me back $400.

One thing I'm trying to wrap my head around. When I started hitting balls, I thought that the flight seemed really low. It was a peak height of roughly 100 feet. The fitter basically told me that was ideal. That number started to gradually climb as I tried higher launching shafts.

The surprising part was that the TZ5 was launching super high and spinning a lot more than expected. He basically kept the best 3 shafts on the report as the TZ5 was not even close, it didn't stay.

Below are the numbers for the Pro Orange that won the battle vs the Kiyoshi Black and Hashimoto. I'm really wishing the hashimoto came in 75 grams now that I think back. It felt amazing and had some decent numbers. A little more weight would have brought the launch down a touch and tightened it up a bit.

The Pro Orange averages are shown below the graph and on the graph as orange. Kiyoshi Black is shown in blue and the hashimoto is purple.
c72e92a72c14fa40a0ac585093fc129d.jpg

Beastly #s @radiman. It's got to be good to know that your gamer is about as close to an ideal fit as possible. Glad you had a solid experience

Just found this thread as I was in the PGA Superstore last week looking for a new driver. I hit a few different combinations of driver and shaft. I had a higher spin rate ~3000 rpm, was able to get it down to about 2800 rpm after using the Project X HZRDUS smoke 60. my question is does anyone have any familiarity with a shaft that’s been tipped 3/4”? I think this will further reduce my spin.

Reading about everyone’s fitting experiences is making me jealous! I gotta do this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just found this thread as I was in the PGA Superstore last week looking for a new driver. I hit a few different combinations of driver and shaft. I had a higher spin rate ~3000 rpm, was able to get it down to about 2800 rpm after using the Project X HZRDUS smoke 60. my question is does anyone have any familiarity with a shaft that’s been tipped 3/4”? I think this will further reduce my spin.

Reading about everyone’s fitting experiences is making me jealous! I gotta do this!

I don't know how much it would effect spin. In theory, it should, but I don't think I could say exactly how much. If you are in Pittsburgh, I would recommend seeing a qualified fitter to get that type of recommendation. There has to be something available in that area.

I don't know how much it would effect spin. In theory, it should, but I don't think I could say exactly how much. If you are in Pittsburgh, I would recommend seeing a qualified fitter to get that type of recommendation. There has to be something available in that area.

Thanks! There’s a Club Champion store in Pittsburgh (across the street from Golf Galaxy , no less). I’ll get their opinion on the matter.

I suspect some tweaks with my swing would help reduce spin.

Thanks again!

T minus 30 minutes. We were so rushed this morning I completely pulled one of my classic moves of leaving my notes at home.

Familiar place. I visit this spot a few times a year.

I just called Club Champion in Las Vegas and scheduled an appointment to get fitted for irons on Thursday. I'm hear attending a tax seminar and thought I would take advantage of getting a fitting some place other than GG where I had my last one done. Not a good experience.

So hear is my dilemma. I have some Apex CF19's and I like them a lot, but not sure they are setup properly. I'm taking them with me to the fitting. If they find that the Apex are right for me but perhaps need a shaft or lie adjustment, will they just do that rather than recommending something else?

I'm a little anxious because I'm 71 years old and curious if they will be able to find specs that work best for me? The last time I had a fitting, they just said, get the lightest shaft and 2 degrees flat.

I'm looking forward to this because I really want to see what improvements, if any, can be made to my irons. I always get the feeling that they are working most of the time, but there are times when I feel like they are fighting me.

I just called Club Champion in Las Vegas and scheduled an appointment to get fitted for irons on Thursday. I'm hear attending a tax seminar and thought I would take advantage of getting a fitting some place other than GG where I had my last one done. Not a good experience.

So hear is my dilemma. I have some Apex CF19's and I like them a lot, but not sure they are setup properly. I'm taking them with me to the fitting. If they find that the Apex are right for me but perhaps need a shaft or lie adjustment, will they just do that rather than recommending something else?

I'm a little anxious because I'm 71 years old and curious if they will be able to find specs that work best for me? The last time I had a fitting, they just said, get the lightest shaft and 2 degrees flat.

I'm looking forward to this because I really want to see what improvements, if any, can be made to my irons. I always get the feeling that they are working most of the time, but there are times when I feel like they are fighting me.
Just be up front with them about it. They may try to sell you on a new set, new shafts, or a bunch of other stuff. But, if you feel that getting the existing set adjusted instead, they should be able to accommodate that.

Good luck and have fun!

You can limit them in your fitting, but my advice is don't. Especially, when it comes to your irons. You want minimum dispersion and proper gapping with a high degree of consistency. Your irons are your scoring clubs. They are the clubs you use to hit most of your approach shots to the green. Getting the ball closer to the hole makes a huge difference in your ability to score. Even at the PGA level eight feet from the hole is the 50/50 mark where tour pro players make 50% of their putts. So if you can hit your approaches closer to the hole or even on the green more often it converts to lower scores.

Back