First time re-gripping

Doubleb21

2022 Grandaddy Team 5150 member 2020 AZTHP Champ
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Well got my new grips installed this aft. Not hard at all to do and it will be nice to be able to change them when I want with no waiting now. The first few clubs were slow but then I got a system down and it was easy. I will say make sure you get the proper length tape as the kit I bought was a bit short. The are tight and not moving but I will make sure I have the 11 inch tape for the next set.

The tape was pretty easy to remove didn’t even have to fire up the heat gun. And @jmans video for the 3 minute re-gripping was super helpful! I probably would not have tackled this with out the info here on THP love this place!
9D2A346A-E045-4C3B-8964-CF0A21D743E4.jpeg92B6EFAD-6BA1-41F3-81B7-618EECF6D94D.jpeg1FE24432-7B3A-4CAF-A4C8-43920AAA1DEE.jpeg

Awesome, wait till start using just air and masking tape!

Awesome, wait till start using just air and masking tape!

Good thing I have a compressor already! The solvent was not bad at all though. I kept telling myself use more lol!

Well done! I thoroughly enjoy DIY regripping!

Well done sir! It’s the best working on your own clubs!

Well done! I thoroughly enjoy doing my own club work, and being able to help friends when they need something done.

Looks like you’ve got a pretty decent setup too!

Doing your own grips is the main gateway drug for club work. Good for you.

Well done! I thoroughly enjoy doing my own club work, and being able to help friends when they need something done.

Looks like you’ve got a pretty decent setup too!

The little vise I bought worked ok I do miss the bigger vise I had at the old house. I can see the benefit of the clamp style tool also.

Doing your own grips is the main gateway drug for club work. Good for you.

I’m not sure I’ll ever reshaft stuff I want things done right 😂😂😂😂

Last edited:
I've done it a few times myself and its really easy, and makes a big difference! If you're an avid golfer you should really do your regripping your self.

Awesome!

Good for you.

Well done sir! Guessing you are probably wondering why you have previously paid people to do it for you.

Well done sir! Guessing you are probably wondering why you have previously paid people to do it for you.

It is so easy to do ill never pay again!

You're making me need to go vice shopping!

You're making me need to go vice shopping!

Vice is not really necessary. I do a lot of mine in front of the bathroom sink with an old Tupperware container in the sink to catch the solvent run-off.

A cautionary tale. Regripped every club prior to a "big" scramble tournament in Vegas.
5hdcp associate came from Chile to play. it was 100+F and one by one, my grips came loose.
The heat melted the cheap two sided carpet tape I used. Never again.
Only use proper tape for regripping. A hint I got from Steve Elkington was to stick a tee into the
grip before you slip it over the tape. Pull the tee when ready to finally seat the grip in place.

DIY regripping allowed me to experiment with different grips. The air compressor allowed me to try and change most of them without damage to the grips.

Back