First time walking. Hurts so good.

xThor

AnimeGods 神 | GolfTec Experience | TravisMathew
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
As it says in the title, I waked 9 for the first time ever. Previous times walking were only for small par 3 courses, so today was quite a different experience playing golf!
It was also only the second time playing this course (one of two courses my club offers). Not too much elevation change, but I can tell you that I cannot wait to get home and bust out the theragun!

I struggled the first few holes, both with getting loose, and timing; scoring 5 consecutive 6’s (going +10), before finally going par, par, par, bogey (missed putts on 8 and 9 ugh).
I don’t think I’m going to go exclusively, or even majority, walking; but the clicgear 3.5+ worked wonderfully.

Has anyone else just now started walking during this crazy season?

Well done on getting out! I can’t wait to walk the course again... snow is just about melted...

As it says in the title, I waked 9 for the first time ever. Previous times walking were only for small par 3 courses, so today was quite a different experience playing golf!
It was also only the second time playing this course (one of two courses my club offers). Not too much elevation change, but I can tell you that I cannot wait to get home and bust out the theragun!

I struggled the first few holes, both with getting loose, and timing; scoring 5 consecutive 6’s (going +10), before finally going par, par, par, bogey (missed putts on 8 and 9 ugh).
I don’t think I’m going to go exclusively, or even majority, walking; but the clicgear 3.5+ worked wonderfully.

You learn a couple things walking: Lighter the bag, easier the walk. Dropping your bag off between you and the next tee box can save you a ton of back and leg ache!

walked 18 today. Just happy to be out. I continue to notice with guys walking, singles in carts and can't touch the flagstick how play moves nicely. Played just a few minutes under 4 hours. Should note my 76 year old father walked all 18 but he has a lithium ion powered push cart so he was walking not pushing

walked last sunday...first time with the cart in a while, tho. I normally carry. the cart makes it effortless, tho...and loading up 3-4 tall cans doesn't bother me :rolleyes:

walked 18 today. Just happy to be out. I continue to notice with guys walking, singles in carts and can't touch the flagstick how play moves nicely. Played just a few minutes under 4 hours. Should note my 76 year old father walked all 18 but he has a lithium ion powered push cart so he was walking not pushing
Proud of your 76 yr old Father! I just purchased an electric walking cart and cannot wait to get out. The walking does not bother me, but pushing a cart or carrying clubs kills my back.

This is where I went wrong, didn’t have any alcohol!!

I hadn't been drinking beer while I play for a while but I've been out with the boys the last couple of rounds...

I walked a lot of rounds previous, but went cart for a couple years. Have been getting back into walking with the pushcart again. It's best to build up to 18 holes. Keep walking 9 until it doesn't bother you then do 18.

I feel great whole walking, but the day or two after,,, oooofff that can be rough

But if I did it consistently 1-2x per week, I'd build endurance and stamina

I’ve walked my last 2 rounds because of social distancing and these were the first time I had walked 18 in years.

One course was fine but the second was really spread out And I walked just over 7 miles. Worst is the 18th green to the parking lot was almost half a mile and seemed to be up hill the whole way.

I do 99% of my rounds walking, and love it. Here in the UK there is barely anyone who rides and a lot of courses only have carts for those who have a medical certificate to do so. If you have a particularly hilly or long course then you know all about it.

My friend and I were talking about doing the McMillan Cancer challenge this year to raise some money for charity, basically 72 holes in a day - no carts allowed. It will be a brutal day, but such good fun!

Electric carts are normal practise over here. Buggies are rarer and carrying is either for the young or the vain. They do speed the game up , especially when buggies are on 90 degree rules.

Walking takes some time to learn how to best pace yourself. When I first started I could hardly walk four holes on a hilly course, now I can walk good and getting better each time out. I think the main thing is just like golf, relax and move consistently.

Don't rush up any hills as that will tire you down quicker. You can also angle walking across the hills which saves energy. When it gets hot you gotta pace yourself. I have a small chair and sit if needed, but lately haven't really used it. Now I walk with no problems, but I don't generally walk the ginormous 18 hole courses. I usually ride those.

Good job brotha! Just gotta stretch those legs and as others have said pace yourself. Bring water, while beer is good always hydrate so you don't cramp during or after. Enjoy the walk and don't rush around. Strategic placement of cart will help save some steps. Makes you aim and hit better golf shots too haha!

Enjoy the theragun post round massage and the new clicgear! While you are at it enjoy a beverage!;)

Good on you; keep it up! It’s a better game when we walk. To each his own, but personally I don’t enjoy carts at all.

Our courses here in IL are all closed. Google Maps said it’s about 7,000 yards round trip to the grocery and back, so I’ve been walking that instead of 18 holes.

I’ve on and off walked for years, usually on days it’s CPO. I walked 9 a couple weeks ago carrying my Bridgestone Tour B carry bag. The problem was I wasn’t really planning on walking until I got to the course so I had all my normal junk in the bag and it easily weighed 25-30 #’s-or more!

Which last year wouldn’t have bothered me at all but I was in a bad accident in September 2019 and I broke 4 ribs (as well as my sternum and 4 other bones). Between the sternum and a displaced rib, I’m still at only 50% or so lung capacity. Hole 3 is a long fully uphill par 4. Man was I sucking eggs, took me two holes to recover and thankfully the rest of the nine is pretty flat. Dad wanted to play the back but it’s way more hilly than the front so I told him no thanks.

I’d have been OK it i pared down the bag to 10-15#’s or took a pull cart but I was done.

So I guess I’m pretty disgustingly out of shape. I love walking too. I’ll have to work on that.

I do 99% of my rounds walking, and love it. Here in the UK there is barely anyone who rides and a lot of courses only have carts for those who have a medical certificate to do so. If you have a particularly hilly or long course then you know all about it.

My friend and I were talking about doing the McMillan Cancer challenge this year to raise some money for charity, basically 72 holes in a day - no carts allowed. It will be a brutal day, but such good fun!

I walk every round possible (prefer to carry but also use a pull cart) unless a cart is necessary or required. Even if using a riding cart, I try not to drive and I walk as much as possible.

For me, golf is way more rewarding when walking.

I got a clic gear 3.5 right before the covid hit planning on walking. Still plan on it

I got a Clicgear 3.5+ from my parents as a Christmas gift. I haven't used it for many 18's but use it quite a bit in the evening to get in a few holes as I live on the 2nd tee box. Often times I will hit the little loop of 2,3,4 a couple times. I like that as its a par 3, par 5 and par 4.

I have found I enjoy walking more when other are doing it. I can be tough trying to keep up with carts sometimes if they play pretty fast.

Played 18 today, and while I rode a cart (my wife was with), I did try to walk plenty in between shots and would meet her at the ball.
I definitely see the benefits and the joy in walking.

maybe she’ll caddy for and I won’t have to carry/push next time I walk 😝

Played 18 today, and while I rode a cart (my wife was with), I did try to walk plenty in between shots and would meet her at the ball.
I definitely see the benefits and the joy in walking.

maybe she’ll caddy for and I won’t have to carry/push next time I walk 😝
Haha. Glad you are enjoying the clicgear and rep the step!

It’s interesting how countries differ. In the UK, virtually everyone walks 18 holes, albeit usually with a push or electric trolley. If you see a guy riding in a buggy, it is almost certainly because he has a medical issue that prevents him walking. When the seniors section at my club has a competition, there will be around 75 players and not a buggy in sight. I know that, in the US, some places get very hot at certain times of the year and I can see why a buggy might be preferable then. But otherwise, why? It’s supposed to be a sport.

Back