First Tournament In 8 years!

bgammill

Reaction score
Handicap
This upcoming weekend I’m going to be playing in my first multiday tournament in over 8 years. I started playing competitive golf when I was seven years old, played through high school (winning four team state championships) and played three years at a D1 college, but I’ve never been as nervous as I am for this one. You might wonder why, if playing for so long, I haven’t played in a tournament in eight years….well after playing college golf I never wanted to play the sport again. College golf took all my love and care from the game with it in those three years. I stopped playing after college and just picked up golf again last year after six years of not playing. I told myself when I got back into it I would be playing only for fun and the love of the game, which has come back stronger than ever. So, here I am (after so serious peer pressure) playing in a competitive tournament which I haven’t done in a very long time. I’m not worried about how well I’ll do but I don’t want a three day tournament to remind me of why I grew to hate the game long ago. There are many other reasons college golf wore me out but I’m hoping this doesn’t take me back.
If you’re reading this thank you very much for taking the time out of your day to do so, I needed to get this off my chest. I must say finding THP is part of the reason the love of the game has come back and to see there are so many people out there ready to talk about this wonderful game. Thank you THP and its members for giving me a place to ‘release’ and talk about golf.

It is great that you are getting back into competitive golf. Good Luck!

Welcome back and good luck.

I am also playing my first this weekend but it's been 11-12 years for me (wife, kids, new job, blah blah). My tourney is flighted so I intend on winning the D flight, if I happen to play well enough to get into another flight I wont be disappointed but I think I have a legit shot to win that flight.

Well, I thought I would let everyone know how it went. The first day I think I put way too much pressure on myself and wasn't having fun. My putter go the yips on Saturday and took me a long practice session after but it still wasn't great all weekend. I shot an 80 the first day and a 78 on day two. They are ok rounds but like I said my putter was bad. Had 40 putts Saturday and 39 on Sunday. The winner shot a -4 170 for the two days and there were a lot of good players. I think there were 20+ people at even or better.

---
- Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

Hate when the putter gets the yips like that. Good luck with your next one!

ah, at least you got out there and did it again. Your scores and putts per round sound like mine lately. It means you were striking the ball well though. You gonna keep playing in some tournies?

Congrats on getting back out there! I hope you enjoyed yourself enough to play again! I haven't played a competitive round in over a decade but really wanna try it again soon. How good did those butterflies feel on the first tee? :smile:

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

Glad you're back to loving the game again. Looks like the break did you good. Best of luck in your tournament!

Good luck and kick some butt in the name of THP. We will all be backing you

Back