fishing thread for cats and carp

AndyL0711

I Need To Play Some Golf!!!!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
wanted to start a fishing thread more dedicated to catfish and carp. i love fishing both and would like to see if there are any others out there that do the same type of fishing....share some tips, etc.

Fishing is easily my 2nd favorite hobby and catfish are my prime target. This will be a fun thread.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Fishing is easily my 2nd favorite hobby and catfish are my prime target. This will be a fun thread.

do you do any fishing in the winter? i usually shut down for the next couple of months, until trout season starts.

biggest cat? mine is only 10lbs : (
biggest carp? mine is 30lbs : )

if i knew how to post pics on here i would...lol

I think I am posting this right....30 lber
5da2c2954f68b73330207ea6da2d04d5.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

do you do any fishing in the winter? i usually shut down for the next couple of months, until trout season starts.

biggest cat? mine is only 10lbs : (
biggest carp? mine is 30lbs : )

if i knew how to post pics on here i would...lol
Biggest Cat was 25lbs. Never actually caught a carp before, but want to. I usually don't fish when it gets below 40°. It's much colder on that water. LoL

Fished for the last 10 years under various methods (match, carp specific and also predator). Never caught a moggy (cat) bit had some great fun catching carp both on both the rod and the match pole. Biggest was around 15lb.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

what do you use for bait to catch Carp?

i use boilies with a hair rig and then throw it with a good oatmeal pack bait....but to be honest you can catch them on lots of things. i have used just corn and caught plenty of them. problem with corn is that everything likes corn....bluegill, sun fish, little catfish.

go to youtube and look up "cats and carp" guy has tons of very helpful info on baits lines etc...

OK what are "boilies"? I was a commercial fisherman for 20 years and never heard that term before, might be regional.

i use boilies with a hair rig and then throw it with a good oatmeal pack bait....but to be honest you can catch them on lots of things. i have used just corn and caught plenty of them. problem with corn is that everything likes corn....bluegill, sun fish, little catfish.

go to youtube and look up "cats and carp" guy has tons of very helpful info on baits lines etc...

OK what are "boilies"? I was a commercial fisherman for 20 years and never heard that term before, might be regional.
Very simply a base mix containing various fishmeal or other ingredients, rolled into a ball circa 10mm or greater and boiled solid hence the name.

Carp eat most things but they love to graze, laying a small carpet of bait (hemp or particles such as corn) followed by a corn or maize on the hook will snare a large majority of carp. Even more so of you balance the hookbait accordingly and set a good for for them.

Worth looking for UK carp methods and trying to adopt some principles particularly on "go fishing" or YouTube . A lot of carp outside of the europe are seldom fished for (if you exclude the crossbow mad men).

Thank you that is very interesting, I never thought they would take a hook honestly and really never thought of them as a eating fish.

Biggest Cat was 25lbs. Never actually caught a carp before, but want to. I usually don't fish when it gets below 40°. It's much colder on that water. LoL

25lbs is nice....was it a channel, blue or flathead?

Thank you that is very interesting, I never thought they would take a hook honestly and really never thought of them as a eating fish.

i have never eaten one and i have been told they taste like mud....lol

i have never eaten one and i have been told they taste like mud....lol
Polish delicacy apparently. Sold in a few supermarkets in the UK to please the Eastern European crowd. To avoid the muddy flavour they are reared in fresh water for a couple of weeks before slaughter.

25lbs is nice....was it a channel, blue or flathead?
Channel cat. We have some really good spots on the Red River here and my father in law and I had walked back into the woods and down an embankment. Crazy thing is he caught one bigger than mine. It was a good day. Haha

Very simply a base mix containing various fishmeal or other ingredients, rolled into a ball circa 10mm or greater and boiled solid hence the name.

Carp eat most things but they love to graze, laying a small carpet of bait (hemp or particles such as corn) followed by a corn or maize on the hook will snare a large majority of carp. Even more so of you balance the hookbait accordingly and set a good for for them.

Worth looking for UK carp methods and trying to adopt some principles particularly on "go fishing" or YouTube . A lot of carp outside of the europe are seldom fished for (if you exclude the crossbow mad men).

Not sure how everyone else feels about carp being an "eating fish". But in Ohio......it is most definitely NOT an eating fish and considered to be complete garbage much like the sheephead. Maybe its just regional

Not sure how everyone else feels about carp being an "eating fish". But in Ohio......it is most definitely NOT an eating fish and considered to be complete garbage much like the sheephead. Maybe its just regional

no, it's a garbage fish here as well. probably just about everywhere BUT it gives a great fight and is a lot of fun to fish for.

I've never eaten carp. Catching them is the fun part from what I understand. Now we do it buffalo ribs and those are amazing.

My biggest carp has been 14 lbs. There are a couple of rivers up this way, the Concord and Merrimack, which are excellent carp fisheries. There are 40+ lbers reported regularly. My brother in law and I would fish for them with medium weight spinning rods and 10 lb test. I have no idea how many we broke off but man was the fight fun.

New rod and reel....might be some time before I get out since we are getting 6 inches of snow today.

Silvercat rod with a regal 3500 reel and 40lb spider braid. Man I cat wait!!!!
00828ae7887368d9d1ac8e659d1a1996.jpg
755f1c0441acd7d8ac5222d68f643b8c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

i was out the other day, fishing with chicken liver, and i ended up catching this monster....my PB for a bass nearly 6lbs. never caught a bass on chicken liver before

Attachments

• bass 1.jpg
    bass 1.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 8
  • bass 2.jpg
    bass 2.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 8
  • bass 3.jpg
    bass 3.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 8
Cool post. I'm all kitted out with stuff but haven't really gone carp fishing for a while. Even my normal fishing is on the back burner cause of golf.
I've been doing the Euro-Carp fishing thing since 2004. I even used to be a member of the Carp Anglers Group as well but let that lapse. My personal best is a 58lb grass carp and about a 22lb common I think. Used to catch tons of under 15lbs carp at Lake Mead outside Las Vegas but nothing huge.

Here's a shot of my favorite spot on the Apalachicola river in Florida. Carp were hanging near the submerged tree. Fast current beyond there, though. Tough to hold bottom even with 4 oz gripper leads. So, I always fished the margins and did really well.

P1240011.JPG.

Cool post. I'm all kitted out with stuff but haven't really gone carp fishing for a while. Even my normal fishing is on the back burner cause of golf.
I've been doing the Euro-Carp fishing thing since 2004. I even used to be a member of the Carp Anglers Group as well but let that lapse. My personal best is a 58lb grass carp and about a 22lb common I think. Used to catch tons of under 15lbs carp at Lake Mead outside Las Vegas but nothing huge.

Here's a shot of my favorite spot on the Apalachicola river in Florida. Carp were hanging near the submerged tree. Fast current beyond there, though. Tough to hold bottom even with 4 oz gripper leads. So, I always fished the margins and did really well.

View attachment 8908819.
nice setup....looks very carpy. i have never caught a grass carp.

Thanks.
I caught my one and only by accident. I read they ate hydrilla and other vegetation but this one sucked up a boilie. Fought like a 10lb'r until it saw the bank, then it took off and that's when the fun started. 30 minutes later and one dead arm I got him. A passerby and his grandson were nice enough to take the picture, but, they missed the tail.

grasscarp58.jpg

Back