fishing thread for cats and carp

I grew up fishing a muddy shallow river (max depth 6ft at low water). I caught a channel cat out of it that at the time that was just a pound shy of the then state record at 24#. I caught it on a trot line. Shrimp are a great bait for trotlines. They’ll stay on the hook until something takes them off. Hook em just like it looks you like you should. Caught a buncha snapping turtles too. Thems some mean sumbitches, lol. Dad and I ran the lines and he always threw them in the back of the jonboat which is where I was. Bigger ones could easily take a chunk out of the paddle used to keep them at bay.

Biggest carp I caught was 35# from the same river. It coulda easily broken my line but it just swam right up to the bank. Thought I had a little 2-3# one until I saw it. I thought about throwing a saddle on that sucker and riding it up and down the river, ha.

Carp can be eaten if one knows how to prepare them. You’ve gotta avoid the mud vein when preparing them or they are nasty. I tried it once and decided it nasty anyways. There is a well known carp fishing grounds just beyond a spillway near me where there are both carp fisherman and folks that are willing to buy your catch should you choose to not eat them.

I’ve even seen whole carp in some fresh fish cases in certain areas in Ohio. I kinda questioned that logic, lol.

got out yesterday for a short session, only caught one 8 lber but still fun. also have a funny story...well not really funny. forgot my landing net

i was not paying much attention to my rods, the bite was slow, and then all of the sudden splash my rod goes in the water. before i had a chance to act it was gone...lol. that's what i get my not checking my drags. lesson learned hopefully.
20191021_090551.jpg

Just watched a show today that showed a guy in Oklahoma “noodling” for Catfish. He caught a 50# by doing that. Way to crazy for me. Stick your arm or leg in a muddy hole (sometimes having to be fully submerged) and see what latches on.

Just watched a show today that showed a guy in Oklahoma “noodling” for Catfish. He caught a 50# by doing that. Way to crazy for me. Stick your arm or leg in a muddy hole (sometimes having to be fully submerged) and see what latches on.
Yeah, that nuts...I would never do that

anyone get out yet this year? i have not but hoping to do so very soon

caught a nice carp today 20lbs and a 5lb cat

View attachment 8947894

That's a mirror carp, right?

I haven't gone in a while. I'm catching up on my small mouth fishing and having fun with that. I may start up again but I get tired of ordering boilies and hate making them. Boiling deer corn is a pain as well, especially since I only need 1-2 lbs and not a 50lb sack.

caught a nice carp today 20lbs and a 5lb cat

View attachment 8947894View attachment 8947893

Nice dinner. The cat, not the carp. But if you have that for dinner..... well don’t, lol.

The times I’ve tried to eat carp, and I know where the “mud vein” is, it still sucks. Maybe in the Sous Vide? Naaa. I’ll just stick with something (anything) else. I’ve roasted chunks on a spit when I was really hungry. I’ve tried frying it. Bleck!!

Nice dinner. The cat, not the carp. But if you have that for dinner..... well don’t, lol.

The times I’ve tried to eat carp, and I know where the “mud vein” is, it still sucks. Maybe in the Sous Vide? Naaa. I’ll just stick with something (anything) else. I’ve roasted chunks on a spit when I was really hungry. I’ve tried frying it. Bleck!!
no way....all catch and release for me

That's a mirror carp, right?

I haven't gone in a while. I'm catching up on my small mouth fishing and having fun with that. I may start up again but I get tired of ordering boilies and hate making them. Boiling deer corn is a pain as well, especially since I only need 1-2 lbs and not a 50lb sack.
yes on the mirror. i usually make my own boilies and pack bait. kinda a pain but i will make a bunch and then freeze them. they (the boilies) seem to stay for a long time. if i can't get them to hit, i will go back to old school and just use some canned corn on a hook. caught 1 a few weeks ago on just that.

yes on the mirror. i usually make my own boilies and pack bait. kinda a pain but i will make a bunch and then freeze them. they (the boilies) seem to stay for a long time. if i can't get them to hit, i will go back to old school and just use some canned corn on a hook. caught 1 a few weeks ago on just that.

I found that canned corn doesn't stay on the hair well and also catches too many catfish, unlike the deer corn.

Got a question. Besides Wacker and Big Carp Tackle are there any other tackle shops or online shops selling in the US still? I just searched K1 Baits and that seems defunct.

no way....all catch and release for me

Me too, usually behind me on the banks. I like catching them but there were way too many in the river I grew up on.

Best thing I’ve found for channel cats is chicken livers. Best thing to set a trot line , shrimp. They work pretty good as a tightline bait too.

Most of my carp have been caught on worms.

I found that canned corn doesn't stay on the hair well and also catches too many catfish, unlike the deer corn.
I've never used deer corn. I do have, and use, fake corn. Not sure if it fools carp or not but I did catch that one on a plum boilie with a piece of fake corn on top.

As for carp gear sites. I don't buy a ton of carp stuff. I like to make my own hair rigs. But when I do, I have used both sites monstercarp.com and bigcarptackle.com

Here is my basic setup.

20200609_203941.jpg

I need to add the shrink tubes but don't feel like buying them

these are good boilies. I bought a bag of plum and tuttie fruitie. They have lasted me years.

20200609_204117.jpg

All this carp talk and I just ordered the shrink tubes and a bunch of liquid flavors....lol

All this carp talk and I just ordered the shrink tubes and a bunch of liquid flavors....lol

So wait, this place can talk you into equipment purchases you might not have otherwise made?

I better lock up my Discover card before it’s too late.....

So wait, this place can talk you into equipment purchases you might not have otherwise made?

I better lock up my Discover card before it’s too late.....
In telling my wife, when she sees the credit card statement, that it was all your fault....lol

I’m more of a bass fisherman but those darn whisker fish tend to get hungry from time to time. 95A2427B-E386-4B09-87AF-9370068E8B6D.jpeg08AE3B73-3D7A-40EA-BE75-EFBFE1CEF9FA.jpeg

just got a couple of new flavors in....can't wait to try them

20200612_122818.jpg20200612_122813.jpg

I decided to go out yesterday and blanked after 10 hours. Chummed my spot, too. Guess they just weren't in the mood to eat. I didn't really have time to order boilies or feed corn so I did chick peas and then found giant white corn (Goya brand). Both had some good info for "instant" type baits. I didn't like the giant corn as it didn't stay rigged well. Chick peas were awesome but didn't produce, either.

Good news is I have to re-tie all my old rigs since my shrink tube dry-rotted. Same with my tail rubbers. That's pretty cheap so not bad. I do have to replace my reels, too. Just too freaking heavy and one's baitrunner drag isn't up to snuff.

Overall, it was nice getting out. I fell asleep around 2pm and was woken up by a jogger who thought I was hurt. Had to explain I was there all day and have alarms when a fish is on to wake me up and stuff.. lol.

I decided to go out yesterday and blanked after 10 hours. Chummed my spot, too. Guess they just weren't in the mood to eat. I didn't really have time to order boilies or feed corn so I did chick peas and then found giant white corn (Goya brand). Both had some good info for "instant" type baits. I didn't like the giant corn as it didn't stay rigged well. Chick peas were awesome but didn't produce, either.

Good news is I have to re-tie all my old rigs since my shrink tube dry-rotted. Same with my tail rubbers. That's pretty cheap so not bad. I do have to replace my reels, too. Just too freaking heavy and one's baitrunner drag isn't up to snuff.

Overall, it was nice getting out. I fell asleep around 2pm and was woken up by a jogger who thought I was hurt. Had to explain I was there all day and have alarms when a fish is on to wake me up and stuff.. lol.
There will be days like that. Good that you got out.

I bought a big bag of bollies and it has lasted me a long time. I will make my own sometimes or just use fake corn. The fake corn on a hair rig works well.

What did you use for pack bait and chum

There will be days like that. Good that you got out.

I bought a big bag of bollies and it has lasted me a long time. I will make my own sometimes or just use fake corn. The fake corn on a hair rig works well.

What did you use for pack bait and chum

Normally its oatmeal and slow release molasses pellets. Regular molasses if i have no pellets but those pellets are WAY better. I may even throw wild birdseed in but I have to find really cheap birdseed. Then, I'll make baseball sized balls and stuff boilies or corn in the middle. I'll toss out 3-4 near where my hookbait is and keep adding one or two every 45 minutes. Margin fishing I'll pack some around the lead, and then toss the chum loose over where i cast.

Back