Fit for a driver...but not enough spin?

cmoors

Resident Swinger
Reaction score
Handicap
So I never loved my R11s, and spent a few hours earlier this year at Demo days. I fell in love with the Titleist 913 D3 8.5 with a phenom 70 stiff, after talking to two different fitters and trying the driver on a few occasions.

I hit this club dead straight, like...scary straight. I love the look, i love the sound. In my last tournament, i hit 13/14 fairways/first cuts and missed one because I was a hair aggressive on cutting the corner. So what's wrong? It's a hair short.

I don't think I get ENOUGH spin. I actually hit my old r9 supertri with my miyazaki black farther (but a hair wilder), and I think it's due to spin.

I'm swinging the d3 100mph and getting a smash around 1.44, with an 18 degree launch at 1,870 spin (i hit up on the ball).

With my old r9, i get around 103mph with a smash of 1.48, 14 degree launch at 2,950 rpm.

So, what did I learn? I never should have cheated on the r9 with that r11s, but even though I always said i'd trade distance for accuracy...now I kinda did. Grass is always greener.

for the record, i think i'm hitting in the 245-255 range with the D3 and probably 255-270 with the r9.

255 with 100mph swing seems like a decent number to me, but Ive never seen numbers like that so Im curious about your ballflight. Does it drop out of the sky like a wounded duck?

Ball flight is a smooth trapezoid.

Ball gets up fast, then just floats on its way down.

It looks like I'm absolutely killing it, until I get up there and see I ripped it 240.

Old r9 climbed real high, hung for a bit then fell out if the sky. I'm wondering if I need a shaft with MORE spin.

I wanted less spin after reading reviews but think I over did it.

Maybe if you switch the shafts around you will find the perfect combination? I have to think the straightness though is correlated to the low spin as well (could be totally wrong). Easy solution would be to take it back to the fitter and say you messed up. I want both distance and accuracy!

Your smash factor is noticeably lower. .04 smash difference on a driver can translate into 10 yards. The spin is a little low, but if you like the current setup try using a different ball. You can probably get it closer to 2000 rpm.

Your smash factor is noticeably lower. .04 smash difference on a driver can translate into 10 yards. The spin is a little low, but if you like the current setup try using a different ball. You can probably get it closer to 2000 rpm.

I was thinking the same thing. I see that you are using the Nike Tour D (per your WITB sig) which is a pretty low spin ball to begin with, maybe try going to a B330-S or similar ball.

I was thinking the same thing. I see that you are using the Nike Tour D (per your WITB sig) which is a pretty low spin ball to begin with, maybe try going to a B330-S or similar ball.

Ditto. And, with a 100 mph swing speed don't be afraid to even try the B330-RXS or Srixon Z-Star SL. Those are designed for a bit slower swing speeds (they both say 95 mph, I believe), but may get you better numbers based on your very low spin rates.

Good advice. I'll definitely try a ball with more spin (and I do love the B330-RXS's...I forgot about those balls).

Yeah I'm not quite sure why my smash factor has dropped Sleuth. I hit that driver pretty close to center on most hits, and still never smashed above a 1.45.

I also grabbed a miyazaki blue from ddxu which i'm gaming right now. Was hoping it would add a bit more spin (compared to my black).

I'll let you know if I figure it out!

I have a 913 D2 with a RIP 60 a shaft which is lower spin, higher torque, and lower launching then the phenom 70 shaft. I hit the phenom shaft when I was being fit earlier this year. I hit it way too high and more left than I like, it felt softer than the rip 60. I hit a few different shafts and stayed with my trusty rip 60 which I had for 2 years in my 910 D2. I'm currently hitting my driver really well, longer than my 910 ( only 10 yards or so ) very straight with a small draw. I hit my driver pretty high and put alot of spin on it, but I like my flight and its a bit lower with the 913. When I was fit in March my swing still had winter rust on it and I was topping out at about 95-96 mph, forget spin but was a little above ideal for my ss. LA was also a touch high, but I like a higher flight. Anyway I'm sure my ss is up a few mph since I have been playing every day since April. Try out the D2 head as it spins more than the D3, but alot less spin than the 910 D2 vs. 910 D3.

You must really swing up on the ball to use an 8.5. I've always used 10.5 or higher lofted drivers with a SS over 100 but I tend to close the face. My DCT is the safest club in my bag...love the Enzo.

if you're squaring up the face and still getting 1.44~ on smash, I think that shaft isn't doing right by you.

I'd give up some length to be straight

Back