Fitted before buying new driver?

zarlaan

Reaction score
Handicap
Greetings,

I've been lurking around this forum for last few days since I've discovered it and must first say thanks to all the helpful information in the forums and THP TV videos.

I've been golfing for long time but only had the time for maybe 6-8 rounds in a good year. For the longest time I was using just some cheap Wilson set and finally bought a set of the Adams A3OS late last year and have been playing much more then ever now.

I'm now ready to replace that old Wilson Ultra driver with something decent. From what I've read the TM Burner 2009 has really had my interest the most and is right at the price point I'm willing to spend ($199). I just got off the phone with a local golf shop about fitting and he recommended coming in and getting fitted first before deciding on a club as it would be better.

I'm just curious how much it would matter if I bought the driver first and then came to them to get fitted instead and club adjusted. I'm just really itching to get the driver and start playing again and the first appointment to get fitted is a week away.

First, welcome to THP. Glad you found us.

Fitting could make a huge difference. Even the basic one should tell you what kind of shaft you would want, what flex, launch.

if you can do it before buying the driver it will save you the hassle and some money because you can get the right shaft directly rather than having to swap it out down the road.

You should get fitted first,no question. Over here fitting is included in the price,or barring a shaft upgrade its free.

Get fitted! This is the differance between a good driver and a great driver for a player. At the fitting really listen to what the pro has to offer for advice. Be open to his suggestions for head and shaft combos. BE UPFRONT WITH HIM ON YOUR PRICE RANGE! He should have no trouble finding a club to fit you within the budget that you set up.

Thanks for the advice I'll wait until I meet with them before buying anything.

1st, I'd look at the 2008 Tour Burner, same as '09 just different paint job basically and can be had for less than your target. 2nd, I think driver fitting is a crap shoot at best unless you have a very consistent swing. You could go to 3 different fitters and get 3 totally different results plus it takes all the fun out of trying new stuff!:D

1st, I'd look at the 2008 Tour Burner, same as '09 just different paint job basically and can be had for less than your target. 2nd, I think driver fitting is a crap shoot at best unless you have a very consistent swing. You could go to 3 different fitters and get 3 totally different results plus it takes all the fun out of trying new stuff!:D

LB, do you really think that the 08 Burner and the 09 are the same? Im holding both in my hand right now and they look and feel totally different.

The head design is different? From what I've seen, just paint and a little different sole design. I haven't went over them with a microscope, no.

The head design is different? From what I've seen, just paint and a little different sole design. I haven't went over them with a microscope, no.

The reason I asked is that I hit both into a launch monitor and had different results. I have emailed TM right now to see what they say about it. They look different, feel different and I hit them differently. So I was curious if you knew if they were the same. Hopefully TM emails me back in the next few minutes.

Wonder if you'll get a straight answer. I don't have any secret info., I just looked at them side by side and figured cosmetics only. I mean how many of their drivers are pretty close? Limited, R9, that red looking triangle thing that was out before both. They do themselves and the customers a disservice by coming out with so many new designs. Makes me feel like their R&D department don't know sh*t from shinola and are just out for a buck instead of actually caring about improving a product. How many things can anyone do to improve a driver head? You know what I mean, yes?

I usually get a straight answer from them. While I agree that they come out with a lot of drivers, they are barely more than Ping and Acushnet over the last 5 years.

As for this one, it really feels different than the 08 Tour did. More solid at impact to me.

Not a big fan of either, but the TBTP I had was solid and long, wish I'dve kept it and reshafted it. I've got a retail TB I'm waiting to hit so we shall see. Really that much different huh?

I saw a big difference. TM response:

The drivers may look similar but they are very different. Different weighting. If you want the specs let me know.

I saw a big difference. TM response:

The drivers may look similar but they are very different. Different weighting. If you want the specs let me know.

I'd be curious to see their explanation/specs on "different weighting". I mean c'mon, how much different can you configure weighting? The problem is they think everybody is ignorant. Let's see what they send you.

I dont think that at all. Like I said, I am holding both and the weighting feels entirely different to me. Maybe its all in my head.

I'm not buying it. The only way to differenciate the weighting is to bias the driver (ie: draw, fade, COG) in some way. With the TB & TBTP they have/had a winner, why change it? I say sole design different and paint otherwise same head. How can you tell by holding them in your hands, same weight and type shafts? I doubt if you could tell a weight bias difference just by holding them. They may be different swing weights by a tad, but that would be hard to tell unless it was a big dif, which it's not. JB, I'm not trying to cause a stink, I just really ain't buying what they're selling. Most of the people that work for OEM companies don't know their A$$ from a hole in the ground let alone anything about there clubs and most don't care.

So let me see if I understand. You have not hit both clubs, and by looking at pictures you are going to say they are the same except for paint? Speaking of not buying it. I get it, you dont like TM, but these are different drivers.

I just don't see much different in the design of the head is all. I'm not a TM hater. I've owned several TM products including irons TP and retail, wedges and fwys. I own 2 drivers right now (Tour Burner and an R7460 TP). That's not it at all. I'm just not sold that they're 2 complete different designs or heads is all.

Being two completely different designs is not really what you said, so that is where you confused me. You said they are virtually the same driver with different paint. I have hit both and have both in my office and they dont even really look alike to me.

Being two completely different designs is not really what you said, so that is where you confused me. You said they are virtually the same driver with different paint. I have hit both and have both in my office and they dont even really look alike to me.

I believe they are virtually the same.

Having hit both drivers I was not a fan of the 08 burner. Once I tried the 09 burner JB had to pry it out of my hands. I have played a TM driver for the majority of my professional career. While they come out with a driver or 2 every year they are always worth the try. I am not saying that everyone is for each player but I have managed to find at least 1 every year that looks and feels better to me and I love what they have put out for 09. It is a rare year for me because I love every driver they have introduced this year!

Well JB, I had to go look. I went up to the local golf shop and they are a shade different in design. The '09 had a deeper face and looks bigger overall altho' that's not the case by vitue of volume. I didn't hit it but it is a shade different, but still overall very similar in shape and like I said, I doubt much different design wise. You were partially right, I never held them side by side. I actually like the look of the '09 better so maybe down the road a ways I'll be having one. For the record, I am not a TM hater or any OEMs, but there are some I will not play due to my stubborness and I'm not ashamed to admit that. Adams is just as bad as TM as far as the numbers they put out every year and I am an Adams fan also.

Seems like you're set on the TM, but it is possile to also find Adams drivers in that range and they are pretty good as well!

Even though your question is undoubtedly answered I will still add fit first and you will def save some money long run! I would compare this to buying a .30-30 off the shelf or grabbing an AR outta the armory, slapping a scope/irons on it and then wondering why you can't hit that trophy buck/target without zeroing the sights first!

MR L,

The design is similar,but they are two totally different drivers.Night and day in performance and feel.Ball speeds are faster with the 09 Burner then the 08 Tour burner

Well G, I had never set them side by side. I know your the TM expert and have all the toys to test so I'll have to take your word for it. JB, I apologize for assuming without hard fact. Now ya have me wanting to try one.....some day.:banghead:

Back