Fitting existing clubs

J_Gold

Reaction score
This is my first post so please go easy on me!

First off, I started playing golf again a couple of months ago after a 10 year break when I stopped at age 14. Due to my budget I couldn't get fitted for the new clubs so I opted for finding good deals on clubs at online stores such as clubhouse. I've just completed my full set after picking up three brand new vokeys for £225 off facebook! However, none of the clubs I have are fitted and being 5'4 I feel like this will really be affecting my game. My goal for next year is to get my handicap into single figures and I feel having clubs that fit me properly is important to achieve this.

Anyway, I know I want to get fitted at some point before the spring. My question is would it be better going to a fitter right now already with the new specs I want in my head (.5 inch short and 2 degrees flat), or should I book a few lessons with a coach and have him evaluate me advise what adjustments should be made? I guess people post questions like this all the time but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome. No one is going to be hard on you here. This is a very welcoming community of people.

Even if you have specs in mind, I would still rely on a fitter or professional to determine specs including lie angle and length

Good luck with the process.

Welcome to THP! As far as a fitting what he said ^^^^^.

Welcome aboard! I agree with above advice but would add the following. Explain your situation to the fitter and ask if he will work off your present equipment, adjusting as needed, once he determines your length and lie specs. It’ll probably cost you a fee for the “fitting” and whatever the club work costs but, to me, that is a better option than educated guesses at what specs you need.

Welcome to THP! Lots of good advice in this thread.

Thanks for the welcome and all the replies so far. I'll ask around for the best coach/fitter in my area and go from there!

You're 24, at least that is on your side. Youth can have a lot of advantages vs. the other way around.
You said you want to be a single digit index holder by next year, that depends on a lot of things and some have nothing to do with the equipment fitting.
Havre you, ( before you're 14 years of age was when you said you stopped playing golf ) ever been a single digit handicap or even close to it ?
You are at a disadvantage of being shorter in statue, but that alone would not rule out that you could not be a good golfer. There are quite a few great golfers whom were not taller than 5'8".
You were smart not to spend a whole bunch on new equipments at this point. Just how did you arrive at the self fitting of 1/2" shorter in length of the golf clubs and 2 degrees flat ( assuming you're talking of the iron specs. )
If this happens to be fitting your golf game.
I would say, keep your goal of breaking the double digit in handicap index within a year and at this juncture, spend more of your time and resources towards a lesson to "refresh" your basic. Start it on the correct path with help from the professionals.
I would do the basic of shorten the iron length by 1/2" and bend the lie angles to 2 degrees flat from the standard spec. Have you looked into the flex of the shaft ? How about the long clubs of drivers, fairway woods and the hybrids ?
Stay with the minimum spending on the equipment until you get under 15 then perhaps look into further fitting on the equipments.
In the world of boxed solutions for everything, we often thought the equipment fitting would be the magic solution for a better golf game and should come first before the golfer. It should be the other way around. Golfer's skill and ability come before the equipments. The fine tune of equipment fitting would help a golfer stepping over the last few thresholds to be more consistent and maximizing the potential, after the golfer has the basic tools for the golf swing. The beginning should be lessons and practice and playing and more practice.

Last edited:
:welcome: I can tell you one thing, you've come to the right place to look for help. The people around here know what they're talking about.

You're 24, at least that is on your side. Youth can have a lot of advantages vs. the other way around.
You said you want to be a single digit index holder by next year, that depends on a lot of things and some have nothing to do with the equipment fitting.
Havre you, ( before you're 14 years of age was when you said you stopped playing golf ) ever been a single digit handicap or even close to it ?
You are at a disadvantage of being shorter in statue, but that alone would not rule out that you could not be a good golfer. There are quite a few great golfers whom were not taller than 5'8".
You were smart not to spend a whole bunch on new equipments at this point. Just how did you arrive at the self fitting of 1/2" shorter in length of the golf clubs and 2 degrees flat ( assuming you're talking of the iron specs. )
If this happens to be fitting your golf game.
I would say, keep your goal of breaking the double digit in handicap index within a year and at this juncture, spend more of your time and resources towards a lesson to "refresh" your basic. Start it on the correct path with help from the professionals.
I would do the basic of shorten the iron length by 1/2" and bend the lie angles to 2 degrees flat from the standard spec. Have you looked into the flex of the shaft ? How about the long clubs of drivers, fairway woods and the hybrids ?
Stay with the minimum spending on the equipment until you get under 15 then perhaps look into further fitting on the equipments.
In the world of boxed solutions for everything, we often thought the equipment fitting would be the magic solution for a better golf game and should come first before the golfer. It should be the other way around. Golfer's skill and ability come before the equipments. The fine tune of equipment fitting would help a golfer stepping over the last few thresholds to be more consistent and maximizing the potential, after the golfer has the basic tools for the golf swing. The beginning should be lessons and practice and playing and more practice.

Wow thanks for this detailed response. When I stopped playing, my handicap was in the mid teens and at the time, I wasn't hitting the ball more than 200 yards off the tee. In my youth I was very reluctant to take on advice from lessons and I was too naive which obviously limited my progress.
View attachment IMG_1879.TRIM.m4v
With regards to the fitting specs being .5 short and 2 degrees flat I saw a chart somewhere that had a guideline with height and wrist to floor taken into account, but I didn't realise when I saw it that body measurements only small factors when it comes to a fitting. I've accepted that before I do anything more I need lessons and a pro to look at my swing. The fundamentals are still there but there is a lot to iron out if I want to break into single digits anytime soon. I feel like being short doesn't have any disadvantages apart from the clubs not fitting out of the box. I just need to channel my inner Ian Woosnam! I think my shafts are near enough what would be best suited to me (stiff) apart from my hybrid which is regular flex. I don't know if it'll work but I'll try and attach a video of my swing so you can see where im at...

Wow thanks for this detailed response. When I stopped playing, my handicap was in the mid teens and at the time, I wasn't hitting the ball more than 200 yards off the tee. In my youth I was very reluctant to take on advice from lessons and I was too naive which obviously limited my progress.
View attachment 8915591
With regards to the fitting specs being .5 short and 2 degrees flat I saw a chart somewhere that had a guideline with height and wrist to floor taken into account, but I didn't realise when I saw it that body measurements only small factors when it comes to a fitting. I've accepted that before I do anything more I need lessons and a pro to look at my swing. The fundamentals are still there but there is a lot to iron out if I want to break into single digits anytime soon. I feel like being short doesn't have any disadvantages apart from the clubs not fitting out of the box. I just need to channel my inner Ian Woosnam! I think my shafts are near enough what would be best suited to me (stiff) apart from my hybrid which is regular flex. I don't know if it'll work but I'll try and attach a video of my swing so you can see where im at...

Nice fluid golf swing. I can't pick on much because the result is great.
You might want to have someone look at the hands on the grip, if anything.
Lessons will short cut the learning curve, it's not a cure for all just like the properly fitted golf clubs is not. If you have lots of time on the range like the old timers did, you'll figure out by yourself or gave up with blisters on your hands.
No question you will make it or get close to your goal if, you'll have the time to practice and play. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
Golf greats like Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan had played their tournament rounds with shooting par as a goal and a few nice holes will fall in between the old man par.
You won't lack the distance ( from your video ), work on the consistency side and old man par will be your friend, In the order, achieving the single digit index will not be out of the question.
And don;t let anyone tells you that you need a picture perfect golf swing. If it works and does not harm your body parts, it's good.

Last edited:
Welcome. No one is going to be hard on you here. This is a very welcoming community of people.

Even if you have specs in mind, I would still rely on a fitter or professional to determine specs including lie angle and length

Good luck with the process.

No time like the present to get a full fitting if you have a Club Champion near you. They're giving 1/2 off so you can get a full bag fitting for like $175 and you'll know what specs you really need.

Welcome to THP!

Nice fluid golf swing. I can't pick on much because the result is great.
You might want to have someone look at the hands on the grip, if anything.
Lessons will short cut the learning curve, it's not a cure for all just like the properly fitted golf clubs is not. If you have lots of time on the range like the old timers did, you'll figure out by yourself or gave up with blisters on your hands.
No question you will make it or get close to your goal if, you'll have the time to practice and play. Never let anyone tell you otherwise.
Golf greats like Bobby Jones and Ben Hogan had played their tournament rounds with shooting par as a goal and a few nice holes will fall in between the old man par.
You won't lack the distance ( from your video ), work on the consistency side and old man par will be your friend, In the order, achieving the single digit index will not be out of the question.
And don;t let anyone tells you that you need a picture perfect golf swing. If it works and does not harm your body parts, it's good.

Thanks, I do have a strong grip which may need work.

I have to hand it to short people, because they can rarely reach it themselves... (OK sorry about that - I saw someone post that on my Facebook page the other day and it made me laugh).

Welcome back to the best game in the world!!! You've already received some great advice from others thus far. Adjusting the lie angle of irons to match one's swing is probably one of the most critical necessities for playing good golf.

Good luck and happy golfing!

Back