Fitting experience - Driver shaft advice

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
Had a great fitting experience yesterday at Tru Spec Golf in Waltham, MA. For those in the area, Nick was an amazing resource and the facility is state of the art.

Went in wanting to look at Driver and 3 wood to see if i could improve on them. We did driver first and after a while, Nick identified that although I was getting good results with my gamer I was working way too hard - basically I was holding off the face by "chicken winging" my left arm. My attack angle was 9* in to out and yet I was launching at 8.5* due to a turned down face at impact. Lots of effort to keep the ball straight.

Once we realized this and made the adjustment in my swing we went back to hitting other drivers and the results were dramatic. While my gains were modest 7-8 yards carry (10-15 total), the dramatic thing was that it was effortless. I wasn't getting tired like usual. Problem is, this new, better swing, doesn't work with my gamer because of the setup (too much offset and too soft a shaft).

So, after all the testing we settled on a wild set up change for me. 13.5* Rogue turned down to 12.5* with the Fubuki J series x5ct (
50g). Here's the part where I could use some advice - this shaft is $400! Ugh. Anyone with knowledge able to recommend any high launch low spin alternatives I might try before spending that much?

**I know some believe all fitters are trying to upsell all the time, but
I want to highlight Nick's integrity for a second.
When we switched to my 3 wood (using the 'new' swing), I hit 3 or 4 good ones immediately. Nick said, "too much spin", took the club and switched the weights to heavy weight forward. I hit two more - both monsters! - and he said, "Put it back in your bag, we can't do better than that". I really appreciated this honest approach.

i would look online for a better price. true spec is great, i had an awesome experience at the one here in orlando. but their prices are as laughable as club champion. my hybrid cost me over $600, which is embarrassing. i'm happy to pay the fitting fee, but the prices on the actual clubs is just silly.

Congrats on going to a pro. My experience is similar with Frank Viola in Saugus MA - "I can't sell you anything, Jerry, that's better than that" Or "your stats are almost as good as that Mizuno as with PXG - depends on your budget and what you want."

Did you pay for the fitting? If not, I suggest you get the Fubuki. I mean, he fit you and while there are lots of so-called high launch, low spin alternatives, he fit you with that shaft. FWIW, I dont' care for Fubukis, but we're all different. What is the weight of the Fubuki and flex. You might try a Mitsubishi Bassara - they have several shafts in that family and you can find some on callawaygolfpreowned or the Bay.

Was wondering about your swingspeed and age... if you are in a 12.5-13.5. And yes, you want the angle of attack to be positive - I am a +4 or more.

Yes, I paid for the fitting.

I'm 45 and average swing speed is 107ish.

The shaft is stiff, 50 grams.

My launch angle has always been super low, so the loft recommendation doesn't surprise me that much.
Congrats on going to a pro. My experience is similar with Frank Viola in Saugus MA - "I can't sell you anything, Jerry, that's better than that" Or "your stats are almost as good as that Mizuno as with PXG - depends on your budget and what you want."

Did you pay for the fitting? If not, I suggest you get the Fubuki. I mean, he fit you and while there are lots of so-called high launch, low spin alternatives, he fit you with that shaft. FWIW, I dont' care for Fubukis, but we're all different. What is the weight of the Fubuki and flex. You might try a Mitsubishi Bassara - they have several shafts in that family and you can find some on callawaygolfpreowned or the Bay.

Was wondering about your swingspeed and age... if you are in a 12.5-13.5. And yes, you want the angle of attack to be positive - I am a +4 or more.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Can't help you with the shaft, but good to know that you had a good experience at True Spec in Waltham. I heard they opened recently, and I might check them out down the road since I'm done with Club Champion up here.

Can't help you with the shaft, but good to know that you had a good experience at True Spec in Waltham. I heard they opened recently, and I might check them out down the road since I'm done with Club Champion up here.

probably for a different thread, but would love to know why you feel that way about cc

Yes, I paid for the fitting.

I'm 45 and average swing speed is 107ish.

The shaft is stiff, 50 grams.

My launch angle has always been super low, so the loft recommendation doesn't surprise me that much.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Okay, but do you want that angle of attack to be super low?

It's an easy fix, relatively -

Spine angle leaning a little back, ball off front big toe, high tee, look up at clouds before you swing and think "clouds"

Yes, you don't want that lead back of the wrist looking at the ground at impact with a driver.

With less loft, you get less spin and more distance - but you need to set up for a positive AOA.

So do you want to make slight changes at setup and get the loft and shaft that are primed for a positive AOA or do you want to cost yourself a lot of yards?

probably for a different thread, but would love to know why you feel that way about cc

Happy to share more via PM, but very poor communication and customer service at suburban Boston location. Had to escalate complaints to corporate level to get anything resolved. I won't take my business back there.

Okay, but do you want that angle of attack to be super low?

It's an easy fix, relatively -

Spine angle leaning a little back, ball off front big toe, high tee, look up at clouds before you swing and think "clouds"

Yes, you don't want that lead back of the wrist looking at the ground at impact with a driver.

With less loft, you get less spin and more distance - but you need to set up for a positive AOA.

So do you want to make slight changes at setup and get the loft and shaft that are primed for a positive AOA or do you want to cost yourself a lot of yards?

I think we got mixed up somewhere. My AOA is somewhere around +1-+2. It's my path that is 9* in to out, so unless I hold the face off you can imagine the snap hooks I can hit.

Also yardage isn't a big problem for me. I'm carrying my gamer 254 and the new setup was averaging 261 carry.

I think we got mixed up somewhere. My AOA is somewhere around +1-+2. It's my path that is 9* in to out, so unless I hold the face off you can imagine the snap hooks I can hit.

Also yardage isn't a big problem for me. I'm carrying my gamer 254 and the new setup was averaging 261 carry.

It just seems like 12-13 of loft is a lot for someone like you - loft adds spin. Okay, back to your note...

I had the same problem with an in to out path for a long time - now my instructor is trying to get me more in to out -- I am now 1-2 degrees in to out and he wants a little more from driver.

What I did was think "cut" on each swing and swing to the left -- now he kept on saying "swing left" and I was thinking "How the heck do I swing left to get the fracking in to out path down to zero."

Each one of us must find our own way -- but I began thinking about the right shoulder going under and to the left on the downswing - almost like I want to feel that right shoulder go under my chin and left...

Touche!

Back