Fitting on a bad day?

Annhl8rX

Reaction score
Handicap
I’ll be brief with the background. I’ve been playing for close to a decade and am still terrible. Breaking 100 is a great day for me. I’ve recently been taking lessons, which have been helpful. My instructor has also confirmed what I’ve always really known, which is that off the rack clubs aren’t even close to right for me (I’m 6’4” and awkward as all get out). They have also revealed that I have high club head speeds and my R flex shafts are also probably drastically wrong for me. So I went for an iron fitting today.

I did the fitting with PXG since I qualify for their Heroes program. I warmed up with my own clubs, and was hitting the ball terribly. Mostly tops with a chunk mixed in here and there. I just couldn’t find a consistent bottom (which isn’t unheard of for me but has become pretty rare). It was one of those deals where if I had just been at the range I would have left half my bucket there and come back on another day.

Once the fitting started, nothing changed. I was just hitting poor shot after poor shot. Every now and then I’d make good contact, but nothing consistent. We tried a bunch of different options, and he finally settled on one for me. It was the 0211 heads with X-stiff C Taper shafts +1” and 1* upright.

I didn’t walk away with any confidence that I’d hit the ball any better with those than my current clubs though. It definitely didn’t convince me I need to drop a grand on them.

Is there anything I can take away from this? Should I write it off as time wasted and keep plugging away with what I’ve got?

Ideally I’d like to get fit by somebody offering different makes, but I don’t want to pay a bunch of money for a fitting just to show up and have another terrible day that doesn’t result in any useful data. So, how does a terrible golfer find the right clubs?

Man this leads back to the question that’s always asked, fitting or lessons first?
Why take lessons on clubs not fit?
Why fit clubs on a terrible swing?
You know, in the olden days 20-30 years ago.... you played with what you had and learned with them.
Today’s world is different.
I’m going to go the other direction and say get fit for length purposes and just keep trying with the lessons.

I've only been playing since June and have never done a fitting, but, when I demo'd a couple wedges earlier this year I had the exact same thing happen to me: Could not execute with my PW, which is usually easy for me, nor the demo clubs. Brought 'em back and told my guy "I hate to waste your time, but today's not my day. I'll have to try these another day." He was understanding.

Other than sharing in your frustration, sorry, but I got nothin' :(

I’m going to go the other direction and say get fit for length purposes and just keep trying with the lessons.
That would be my inclination. I lucked-out. Static fitting says I need +1 to +1-1/4, and the clubs I inherited are +1.

Sounds like you have a lot of potential given that he put you in extra stiff shafts.

I just got into the house after some winter golf with my +30 year golf partners. One of them is 6'4 to 6'5. He has been struggling because he self fit himself into clubs years ago that are very long and heavy. That and golf is plain hard. Don't beat your self up. I share with him what I share with you.

Do a static measurement of height and risk to ground. Look at the Ping chart and 3 others that google says . Most will all be within 1/4 inch. would not surprise me if you are +3/4 and 2 to 3 upright. Use this forum to find some nice irons others like and find forgiving. Get as set and don't think spending more money makes them better.

Take your good 8 iron swings and use google to determine if you are regular or stiff. Or just ask your teacher.

Here is the thing. Clubs don't make us a golfer. Fundamentals do. You just want to get something that does not hold you back. You also don't want to be fit into your swing unless you want to be a 30 forever. When you are a 10 handi you will want to think about clubs helpling you optimize what you do. At this point, you simply don't want something so poorly fit for you that it holds you back.

I really think you gotta put that out of your mind when getting a fitting. There is plenty you will get out of it no matter what. Negative thoughts have no place in golf as they will effect us. Your fitting is more than just hitting the ball great.

I had an iron fitting early this year at Club Champion, didn't bring any kind of repeatable swing with me that day, and after about a half hour or so the fitter said if I wanted we could just call it a day, no charge, and just come back another time. I did just that, came back a several months later, had to wait longer than expected due to COVID closures, and had a really productive fitting session.

So I wouldn't sweat this one, try again on another day. :thumb:

That’s what I’m inclined to do. Taking any kind of action based on today just seems like a recipe to start off a relationship with new clubs on shaky ground.

Do you feel your swing speed on the day is indicative of how you actually swing on the course?

I used to find that I would turn up to fittings and try to swing fast and hit every ball as hard as possible, averaging 95-97mph 7 iron speeds. Fitters then go straight to 130 gram X flex shafts.

The reality is that I play with more control on the course, and very rarely swing an iron as hard as I can. My on-course swing is closer to 90 mph, and for me something a touch lighter and less stiff works better at this speed.

Do you feel your swing speed on the day is indicative of how you actually swing on the course?

I used to find that I would turn up to fittings and try to swing fast and hit every ball as hard as possible, averaging 95-97mph 7 iron speeds. Fitters then go straight to 130 gram X flex shafts.

The reality is that I play with more control on the course, and very rarely swing an iron as hard as I can. My on-course swing is closer to 90 mph, and for me something a touch lighter and less stiff works better at this speed.

I don’t think that was the issue today. The speeds during the fitting were consistent with what I see during my lessons.

I had an iron fitting early this year at Club Champion, didn't bring any kind of repeatable swing with me that day, and after about a half hour or so the fitter said if I wanted we could just call it a day, no charge, and just come back another time. I did just that, came back a several months later, had to wait longer than expected due to COVID closures, and had a really productive fitting session.

So I wouldn't sweat this one, try again on another day. :thumb:
I've had the same experience at Club Champion and my local muni. Definitely a plus when the fitter understands that you may not have it that day and is willing to work with you.

I've had the same experience at Club Champion and my local muni. Definitely a plus when the fitter understands that you may not have it that day and is willing to work with you.

I’ve been trying to avoid the ridiculous price of Club Champion, but that certainly sounds like a good selling point.

My biggest fear of getting fitted besides having it done right before something cool released is getting fitted on a bad day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The day I went for my fitting it seemed I had forgotten how to golf. I was suddenly shanking the ball like crazy and chunking it and it was very disheartening. We worked through it a bit but overall I wasn't solid through the whole experience. Brandon knew his stuff though and I feel like based on that fact he was able to make an accurate assessment of my game based off the rare good (read: normal) shot. I still get good numbers in regards to spin and launch angle so I believe he put me in the right equipment.

Back