Five Warning Signs of Basal Cell Carcinoma

KellyBo

Golf, Have Fun or Quit!
Reaction score
In lieu of my diagnosis today, I thought I would share this article with everyone so they can be aware of the warning signs of basal cell cancer. I have a very small sore on my nose that has been bleeding off/on for a while now so decided to get it checked out. The biopsy showed it was basal cell carcinoma and I have surgery scheduled to have it removed. I had no idea that it was a cancer. I'm pretty sure I caught it early and will be just fine. I did want to point out to all of you golf addicts like me that you really need to wear that sunscreen! The pictures I've been seeing on Google today are downright scary.

Five Warning Signs of Basal Cell Carcinoma

Be sure to click through all the pictures because there are several types and they all look so different.

My mother, my husband, my 30 year old daughter-in-law, and now me have had this and the surgery is no fun.

KB so sorry to hear this. I am very happy that you caught it early though

I've had two different Basal Cell's removed. My mom has had probably 8-10. Generally, Basal Cells are not a big deal. They're removed and that's the end of it. However, they are a form of skin cancer and their presence puts you at a higher risk for future skin cancer, including the serious Melanoma.

Lessons learned:

1) Always wear sunscreen, even if you think you don't need it

2) Always wear a hat

3) Always get any areas that won't heal or have a "pearl-like" sheen checked out.

4) Learn these lessons while you're young. You don't think you need to heed the advice, but doing so may prevent you from experiencing it when you're older.

5) Learn to think your white legs are sexy

Sorry to hear this Kelly. Scary stuff, but glad you got it quickly. Thanks for the info.

Happy you caught it early KB. I hate that horrendous "c" word.

Good luck, Kelly.

Thanks for the info KB. The first picture rings a bell with me. I had a small basal cell tumor removed from my left ear lobe about 10 years ago. Once removed I did not have to have any other treatment other than two low dose radiation treatments. I was awake for this removal and went to work the next day. The thing I remember is that mine was like a little scab that would bleed if you messed with it. I first asked my doctor to look at it and he immediately sent me to see a dermatologist.

I hope everything goes well. Keep us updated please.

KellyBo's advice should be taken with some serious thought. Like most of us who love outdoor sports, you need to be aware of what damage can be done. Don't take your skin for granted just because you are young now. I've had two cancers cut out and will be going back to the doc when Kelly has her surgery. This stuff ain't no joke :nono:.

I also know people who have dealt with this. Sun is no joke. Protect protect protect!!!!! Glad you caught it early. Best of luck with everything

I hope everything turns out all right KB. This is a reminder to all of us. I had some found very, very early a few years ago. I go twice a year to the dermatologist, and get checked now. This is not age specific, go get checked at the first sign everyone.

Best of wishes and thoughts with you KellyBo. Some advice that should not be taken lightly. It's a simple thing to do to help prevent something so serious.

Oh Kelly I'm so happy that they caught it early. I hate the "c" word.

Thoughts and prayers sent your way KB. I had a spot on my nose about 17 years ago. Fortunately caught it early. It was Basal Cell as well. Have been double sure to use sunscreen since and have a bottle clipped to my bag.

Thanks for posting this Kelly. It serves as a reminder that I am overdue on seeing my dermatologist. Had one cancer removed from my nose a few years ago, and now have some suspicious abnormalities that need to be checked out. I'm hoping they're just blems that can be frozen off.

Thoughts your way KB! Hope all works out well and this is a thing of the past. I need to do better with wearing my sunscreen.

Here's a good story from a young woman who had skin cancer on her nose. It has pictures of before and after her surgery. Very eye opening!

http://shannandesh.blogspot.com/2008/12/skin-cancer-as-it-happened-to-my-nose.html

My Mom had this ^^^^^^^ same surgery on her forehead at 90 years of age. She had a red place the size of a quarter that never healed up. She was telling all of us that this was just an irritating area caused by old age. I took her to the doctor telling her this is not a normal looking bruise or scrape. The doctor confirmed my thoughts and scheduled surgery. My brother and I sit with her for 7 hours one day while the doc kept taking circular samples until it showed no cancer cells. The area was so large after the surgery, they had to use skin grafts to cover it.

Thanks for posting this Kelly. It serves as a reminder that I am overdue on seeing my dermatologist. Had one cancer removed from my nose a few years ago, and now have some suspicious abnormalities that need to be checked out. I'm hoping they're just blems that can be frozen off.

I hope you get an appointment soon. I'm dragging OG to the dermatologist with me and making sure he makes an appointment because he's long overdue and also has some problem areas that need to be checked.

I hope you get an appointment soon. I'm dragging OG to the dermatologist with me and making sure he makes an appointment because he's long overdue and also has some problem areas that need to be checked.

Yep I have a couple of places I have been using the chemical acid that kills the fast growing cells. It turns really red, hurts like fire ants dancing on your face, and finally peals like a bad sunburn. Problem is the two places are not healing up this time.

prayers sent

I am lifting prayers for you Kelly, I am thankful that you caught this early on. I really appreciate the link you shared, that 2nd picture looks somewhat familiar to a place on my face. I have a doctor's appointment on the 15th and I will be certain to have him give it a look. He will probably be sending me to the dermatologist.
I am glad you are making Bill go with you to the dermatologist, he knows he needs to go but needs a little prodding every now and then.

Glad they found.this early and.can treat it KB. Thoughts and prayers your way.

TapAhoy!

Thoughts are with you, KB. I also want to say thank you for sharing this valuable information and I admit, the sun and the problems it can bring are not taken seriously enough by me. My recent trip to Texas and the misery I brought on myself, being Exhibit A. I need to do a better job of taking care of myself.

KellyBo's advice should be taken with some serious thought. Like most of us who love outdoor sports, you need to be aware of what damage can be done. Don't take your skin for granted just because you are young now. I've had two cancers cut out and will be going back to the doc when Kelly has her surgery. This stuff ain't no joke :nono:.

I agree 1000%. No jokes on this stuff.

I hope everything works out for you KB, my Grandpa had this taken off of his nose, so he is always on the family about sun protection. He talked about how many times they kept going around the spot till they had no cancer cells. I think he has this done like three different times. He was a farmer who put up a lot of hay, and always wore a hat can't forget the sunscreen.

Back