RealPretendPsychic

Ask me about the Callaway Apex CB’s!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
How do you make sure you’re not breaking your wrists during the putting stroke?

practice wise, duct tape a paint stirrer to the top side of your arm/hand

What does breaking your wrists do during putting?

What does breaking your wrists do during putting?
To my untrained eye, it appears when I break my right wrist in the backswing, I don’t get the face square for impact. And vice versa if I break the left wrist before impact.

I’m trying to make the swing more with my core and shoulders while not changing my wrist angle or hip alignment.

I use the claw grip, but so I don't flip or break my wrists, specifically the left one, I run my left index finger down the shaft. (I'm right-handed)

I use the claw grip, but so I don't flip or break my wrists, specifically the left one, I run my left index finger down the shaft. (I'm right-handed)
I’ve actually played around with both of those concepts together and separately, but couldn’t find any consistency. The claw just felt way too weak and inconsistent and index finger down was too strong.

I feel like I do my own modified version of the claw where it’s just a baseball grip with my hands slightly apart. Gives me the benefit I wanted from the claw grip without losing control.

I’ve actually played around with both of those concepts together and separately, but couldn’t find any consistency. The claw just felt way too weak and inconsistent and index finger down was too strong.

I feel like I do my own modified version of the claw where it’s just a baseball grip with my hands slightly apart. Gives me the benefit I wanted from the claw grip without losing control.
All I can say is find something that works. Stick to it and perfect it. Once you do, the consistency and accuracy will come back.

I changed my putting grip and stroke to a repeatable combination that I am confident with. Then, practice.
I’m using a combination of a few techniques but would say it’s mostly palm to palm. I point my index fingers down the shaft and it helps in the feeling of stability.

I'm guessing the comment of "simple, just don't break your wrist during the back stroke" isn't helpful? Is it is a wonder why my wife stays with me?

To my untrained eye, it appears when I break my right wrist in the backswing, I don’t get the face square for impact. And vice versa if I break the left wrist before impact.

I’m trying to make the swing more with my core and shoulders while not changing my wrist angle or hip alignment.
So more like a pendulum. I gotcha.

Consider checking out the blast golf sensor. They may still be $75 and are good for swings and strokes 75 yards and in. Putting included... it'll tell you what your putter face is doing through the stroke.

So more like a pendulum. I gotcha.

Consider checking out the blast golf sensor. They may still be $75 and are good for swings and strokes 75 yards and in. Putting included... it'll tell you what your putter face is doing through the stroke.
Whoa I know there was a thread about Blast recently. Looks like I need to revisit!

There used to be an old school training aid called The Bickler; it essentially locked your wrist during the stroke. I never owned one but I imagined that it was there when I putted and it really helped me focus on keeping my wrists firm.

Lately though, I've started experimenting with more wrist action with fantastic results.

If I take a conventional putter grip and squeeze the right hand maybe to 50% of my max I can visually see the putter face turn left. For years unknowingly my set-up bias was right of the hole because my right hand was pulling balls left. No matter what I tried, seemed that right hand wanted to flip that putter over at impact. My breakthrough came one day when my back was hurting to bend over using a putter with a superstroke 3.0 grip. I went to basically a praying hands grip. The left hand and shoulder now lead my putting stroke and the right hand provides some stability but most of the time is not in a position to flip anything. In fact, the entire stroke has passive hands. should also note that my right elbow is tucked into my stomach just above my right pocket. On a 50+ foot putt I will get shoulder turn but always feels to me like the putter it going straight back.

Practice. A whole lot of practice.

I'm the oddball here, but I use the same grip when putting as I do with all the other clubs, just with a putter swing.

Start with your grip. If you want a semi-standard grip maybe play with having the feeling that the shaft runs up through the middle of your palm - through the middle of the pad down at the base of the hand.

Start with your grip. If you want a semi-standard grip maybe play with having the feeling that the shaft runs up through the middle of your palm - through the middle of the pad down at the base of the hand.
This absolutely has been my focus the past few days. I just got a new TT Ten with the stock grip, which is narrower than I’m used to, so I’m adjusting to that as well.

You could get one those gloves that doesn’t allow the wrist to break.
That’s a thing?! I’d probably regrip with the wonky wrist lock grip before going there.

Skilz makes a glove that doesn’t allow the wrist to break.
I may have to pick that up as a training aid!

Why would you not want to break your wrist during the putting stroke? The wrists are a hinge and need to break to keep the putter face looking at the target throughout the stroke. What we don't want is for the arms to rotate during the stroke or one section of the arms (above and below the elbows) to move faster than each other. There are two arcs to a putting stroke - a vertical arc and a horizontal arc because of the lie factor. A good habit is to have both thumbs lined up and pointing to the ball/target line and have them tracking along the line throughout the stroke.

Just for practice here but slide your hands down the grip more OR get a long putter and “Attach” your wrist and distal forearm to the putter grip to prevent them from moving. That should help develop the feeling

Why would you not want to break your wrist during the putting stroke? The wrists are a hinge and need to break to keep the putter face looking at the target throughout the stroke. What we don't want is for the arms to rotate during the stroke or one section of the arms (above and below the elbows) to move faster than each other. There are two arcs to a putting stroke - a vertical arc and a horizontal arc because of the lie factor. A good habit is to have both thumbs lined up and pointing to the ball/target line and have them tracking along the line throughout the stroke.
I have not shown the ability to square the putter face at impact if I break my wrists. So that’s what I’m working with right now.

I'm the same. If it get handsy I will loose it. I was watching closely my arc on 8ft putts yesterday. The opening and closing of the face is totally by my shoulders turning. If I hit a 100ft putt then I do eventually release my hands in follow through.

I'd never argue with anyone that can putt though. Jack bent over in a posture that i would not dream of and he could putt!

Back