I’ve actually played around with both of those concepts together and separately, but couldn’t find any consistency. The claw just felt way too weak and inconsistent and index finger down was too strong.

I feel like I do my own modified version of the claw where it’s just a baseball grip with my hands slightly apart. Gives me the benefit I wanted from the claw grip without losing control.

If the claw is too weak I would argue you are using too much right hand. Another thing to think about is to raise your hands some so that the heal of your putter is raised. Look at Steve Stricker's. This video starting at the 7 minute mark talks about that:

Chef- thanks for sharing. I've not seen this but validates why what I do works whereas what I did prior +20 years did not. I have been trying to eradicate my heel off ground but think I will let that go from now on. Though I did not know why, what I have done over the last three years it basically keep face more square thru the swing. I don't know what I did prior to that exactly but my guess is much bigger arc and much more face rotation; often with a flipping of the right hand at impact. I now see that no way I could predict all those factors

Back