Fix The Distance Issue on Tour (w/o Altering Equipment)

You forgot the most obvious..... change the mower deck settings and the the sprinklers run a bit longer in the fairways to soften the course a bit.... But I like how you think! Genesis tourney the greens made it tough all week and I like seeing these guys struggle on the greens.... fast undulating greens with pins cut on slopes and downhills and tucked into spots that are tough to reach made it a challenge which was good to see.
Well, I could only say that so many times in podcasts and threads... Figured I would leave it off as the most obvious to see if people liked other options.

Also, I keep going back to the thought that nobody was trying to penalize or reign in Jack Nicklaus in his hey day.
Back then they understood that not everybody was equal, and that was okay. Maybe if somebody was winning a lot, they were just a better golfer. It's not (or shouldn't be) the PGA Tour's job to try to artificially level the field/strive for parity.

Back then they understood that not everybody was equal, and that was okay. Maybe if somebody was winning a lot, they were just a better golfer. It's not (or shouldn't be) the PGA Tour's job to try to artificially level the field/strive for parity.

The thing is, nobody has really dominated for a lengthy period since Tiger. I think the viewership and popularity increase when there is somebody with charisma who dominates. There was a crowd following Tiger today and he was struggling mightily. The distance issue is a straw man for other issues.

Well, I could only say that so many times in podcasts and threads... Figured I would leave it off as the most obvious to see if people liked other options.
The reason I say this is that this impact is immediate..... PGA can start doing this tomorrow.... some of the changes you suggest aren't going to be implemented anytime soon..... but you can grow the fairways up in a blink of an eye..... stop the trampoline effect..... grow the rough a few extra days so if they hit it there its not where you see most of the ball

The thing is, nobody has really dominated for a lengthy period since Tiger. I think the viewership and popularity increase when there is somebody with charisma who dominates. There was a crowd following Tiger today and he was struggling mightily. The distance issue is a straw man for other issues.
Even though I'm not at all a Tiger fan, I agree completely with the above, especially the bolded. Like him or not, he unquestionably grew the appeal of golf and there are a lot of people who tune in just to watch him. And that's obvious from the television coverage as well - he can be 10 strokes off the lead and bogeying every hole and he'll still have the largest gallery and draw plenty of TV coverage. A lot of other golfers completely disappear from the telecast never to be seen again once they fall two strokes off the lead.

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious as to your point of view about what other issues the distance issue is a strawman for? I think this is a great discussion and it's interesting to see other facets of it drawn out.

Last edited:
Itd be like moving the basketball goal higher because more people are able to dunk easier.

The 3 point line has been moved back multiple times at various levels.

How about all ball manufactures make a TOUR only ball. Reduce the distance these balls can be hit by say.....10%.

Last edited:

It was even moved forward at the NBA level, only to be moved back again to where it is now.

Even though I'm not at all a Tiger fan, I agree completely with the above, especially the bolded. Like him or not, he unquestionably grew the appeal of golf and there are a lot of people who tune in just to watch him. And that's obvious from the television coverage as well - he can be 10 strokes off the lead and bogeying every hole and he'll still have the largest gallery and draw plenty of TV coverage. A lot of other golfers completely disappear from the telecast never to be seen again once they fall two strokes off the lead.

Not that I disagree, but I'm curious as to your point of view about what other issues the distance issue is a strawman for?

The USGA governs amateur golf and, more indirectly, professional golf, such as the U.S. Open. I simply do not see distance being a negative issue for amateur golf. If anything, better equipment that makes the game easier (and distance is a component of making the game easier) appeals to the masses of golfers governed directly or even indirectly (as a result of efforts to regulate equipment performance purchased by non-USGA members/participants). Thus, for the vast majority of golfers who are directly impacted by the USGA making new rules, the entire discussion of distance negatively impacting the game is without merit and, therefore, must be a focus for an entity that is attempting to increase its own relevance.

Last edited:
How about all ball manufactures make a TOUR only ball. Reduce the distance these balls can be hit by say.....10%.
that would fall under "altering equipment" and not related to the thread idea haha!

I agree with addressing the fairway rollout issue. When physically sound, I swing plenty fast, I think, have a medium ballflight yet the only time I see anything resembling their roll is during drought conditions. Normally, I'm often right near a plug mark or not so far off.

I'm not expecting them to be punished as we are, heck, I'd rather have their roll. But their run-out truly is ridiculous.

If there's to be any talk of ball or equipment rollback because of tour distances, they sure as heck better look at course prep and conditioning first.

Centerline bunkers and deeeeeep rough. Pros hate centerline bunkers so much they removed one from TPC Boston after only one year of play. Make these guys think off the tee and their games get thrown off. They’re almost non existent anymore after being a big design feature for a hundred years

Balls, it is the only answer.

Centerline bunkers and deeeeeep rough. Pros hate centerline bunkers so much they removed one from TPC Boston after only one year of play. Make these guys think off the tee and their games get thrown off. They’re almost non existent anymore after being a big design feature for a hundred years
I hate anything in the middle of a fairway too haha -- but then again, I'm not as good as they are.

Local rule so it only applies for the current tourney - only allow the driver to be used 5 times in a round

To me the bigger issues become how do you do all this for one? Do you build all new courses designed this way? Or do you renovate all the classic courses currently being used on professional tours? Either way, I think that will be an issue.

Secondly, how does all of this affect the everyday golfer? I mean there is a lot to consider there as no matter the answer to the first question, you are talking bigger rates for the everyday guy to play these courses. You are also talking that it will make it harder to be playable and enjoyable for the everyday golfer.

How does it effect golf fans watching the game? I am not sure I want to watch pros hit irons all the time to avoid all these penalties. Seems a bit boring to me.

I think the best solution as has been said many times is to stop allowing the fairways to be turned into parking lots. They only have crazy long numbers in most cases because the ball bounces 20 yards forward on the first hop and by the time it stops it has gone 50-70 yards from where it carried.

I think this is an issue too for several reasons again. First off, it puts forth an undue burden on ball manufacturers to create a ball just to be used on tour. They have to spend their R&D money on a ball only played by tour players and guess what happens to developments in ball technology at every other level.

I think a lot of people play “tour level” balls because they see them played week in and week out on tour. They watch the adds showing DJ, Rory, Tiger, Rickie, etc. and it appeals to them. How the heck are you going to market these balls now if pros are not playing them?

Again. I think any changes to the ball will negatively impact the game and ball manufacturers for a very long time.

Firm and fast with tough rough and angled holes. If you choose a long line it ought to be tougher to hit. The setup this week was perfect.

You forgot the most obvious..... change the mower deck settings and the the sprinklers run a bit longer in the fairways to soften the course a bit.... But I like how you think! Genesis tourney the greens made it tough all week and I like seeing these guys struggle on the greens.... fast undulating greens with pins cut on slopes and downhills and tucked into spots that are tough to reach made it a challenge which was good to see.
Long grass is not the answer. That is the recipe for bomb and gouge.

How does it effect golf fans watching the game? I am not sure I want to watch pros hit irons all the time to avoid all these penalties. Seems a bit boring to me.

That's something that would actually make me watch more. I'm bored of seeing players pull driver all the time because there's little risk.

It was even moved forward at the NBA level, only to be moved back again to where it is now.

At the NBA it was moved forward once for 3 seasons (1994-5 through 1997). Never moved back. Not sure how this applies to golf

They already do alot to keep the bombers from having an advantage. Longer rough, tighter landing areas, etc etc. I don't think it's fair on the course designers or course owners to burden the responsibility of curing the distance issue alone. Just imagine the cost involved to alter the courses.

No, but it is on the course designers to make a course that’s a challenge, and for years designers have been using course length as a crutch.

If the course has the space, keep backing the tee boxes up. There are a lot of casual players/members that play the public/private courses that hold PGA events and these types of players don’t need it any tougher by adding moguls, more bunkers, impossible doglegs etc...

That is exactly the problem though, courses don’t have space, land is more expensive and having courses buy more land is just all kinds of problematic from bottom line to sustainability issues.

I dunno - the more I think about it, the more the whole thing starts to smell like the "everybody gets a trophy" mentality. An effort to level the playing field and negate any advantage the long drivers have. Maybe instead they should just measure every drive and DQ anybody who hits a drive longer than 275 yards in any PGA Tour competition. Or randomly choose distances and lies on every hole and let everybody hit their second shot from there. There, now everybody's equal off the tee and there are no hurt feelz, and they can leave the rest of us poor schmucks alone.

Well, right now everyone does get a trophy in a manner of speaking. If they hit a decent drive all they have to do is pull a wedge on a lot of holes, the issue is that the USGA believes there’s an issue with players hitting the ball too long. The easiest way to fix that is to take the drivers out of their hands.

I think they should simply water the fairways and let them grow a little more to stop the 50 yard runout.

That’s a solid plan for the courses that can do that, not every course can do that, water is expensive a lot of places, and droughts can make that not an option.

I really believe one of the best options is to take drivers out of people’s hands on most holes. A par 4 that was designed to be a driver - short iron hole should now be a long iron - short iron hole. Give us lots of inviting landing areas shorter than driver distance, and some really scary landing areas at driver distance. If you want to pull driver, you’d better be sure you can hit a 10’ x 10’ square or your in the ish, whether that be water, sand, cactus, snake pits, a dinner party with only your in-laws....something penal.

That's something that would actually make me watch more. I'm bored of seeing players pull driver all the time because there's little risk.
So from one extreme to the other? I am not saying driver only all the time is great. I am saying irons only all the time certainly would not be.

I intentionally left that one off despite agreeing completely with you haha
The reason I like slowing down the fairways is because it's the easiest fix to try first without having to completely renovate existing courses. Plus, the other options could hurt amateur golfers. We play from tees forward of the pros so if you tighten the fairway /add moguls or slanted fairways /etc that will likely be at the landing area that amateurs hit to from the forward tees. You are now hurting the group which distance is not a problem for.

So from one extreme to the other? I am not saying driver only all the time is great. I am saying irons only all the time certainly would not be.

Oh definitely not to the other extreme, that would be equally dull like you say.
I'd just like to see more risk/reward options. Give the option to take driver, but the miss is tough enough to force them to think twice and maybe go long iron leaving another long iron approach.

Back