"fixing" a golf swing

uitar99

Reaction score
Handicap
Listening to Doniger and Shear last night on The Golfers Edge, talking about changing a golf swing.

Shear made the comment it should only be changed because of poor ball flight or if it causes injury.

Denier suggested we should stop taking video of ourselves and then try and change something we didn't like in the swing.

Started thinking back to all the "help" I receive when golfing with friends, family and strangers: "you need to........." all referring to what they see in my swing, not ball flight.

I listen to other national coaches who suggest eliminating one side of the course, work on something that is wrong.

I know this stuff but I continue to listen to others: gonna be one of my goals this season, just fix ball flight or if it causes injury

I am with you 100%. My swing isn't 100% textbook, but its working for me and I am improving. I do believe there are a few basic fundamentals you must execute in order to find that golf swing, but picking apart every little thing in a video might hurt some golfer's games.

I'm not 100% sure on how I feel about it, but I will say that I can get some good pictures of my swing in textbook positions and still have poor ball flight due to swing flaws in the small area where impact occurs.

Listening to Doniger and Shear last night on The Golfers Edge, talking about changing a golf swing.

Shear made the comment it should only be changed because of poor ball flight or if it causes injury.

Denier suggested we should stop taking video of ourselves and then try and change something we didn't like in the swing.

Started thinking back to all the "help" I receive when golfing with friends, family and strangers: "you need to........." all referring to what they see in my swing, not ball flight.

I listen to other national coaches who suggest eliminating one side of the course, work on something that is wrong.

I know this stuff but I continue to listen to others: gonna be one of my goals this season, just fix ball flight or if it causes injury

How do you fix your ball flight? What steps do you take? What type of ball flight do you want? Do you have the right gear to accomplish the desired ball flight? Is your swing path right for the ball flight you want?

If ball flight is predictable, change your aim. Work back from there.

Suggest watching these videos...golf is not as complicated as friends and "tips" make it out to be. I don't subscribe to mechanical golf thoughts because they don't work...textbook swings are NOT you...and the swing happens in 1.5 seconds...impossible to bark-out orders in that time frame. it just makes one crazy with tension, overload on swing thoughts, and frustration. But it sells clubs!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_k7QM5U5GQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eURbeXGkeCU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyfGj7NawqE

Last edited:
How do you fix your ball flight? What steps do you take? What type of ball flight do you want? Do you have the right gear to accomplish the desired ball flight? Is your swing path right for the ball flight you want?

Great questions. I think thats what they were talking about. Changing swing to change ball flight, rather than change swing to change swing.

Great questions. I think thats what they were talking about. Changing swing to change ball flight, rather than change swing to change swing.

I gather you don’t have answers to the questions.

I gather you don’t have answers to the questions.
The original statement was just to comment on fixing a swing to make it look pretty to someones ideal, vs changing ball flight. I really liked that statement. I'm a 20 hcp, 65 year old hacker, been golfing 6 years, who hates folks giving me advice, because they think that we all should swing like some picture in their head. I don't buy into a one method swing program, everyone seems to have them. Everyone has a different physical makeup, size, flexibility limitations, even ability to learn. I might not look pretty but I'm overweight and inflexible. A bad ball flight for one, might be a perfect ball flight for others.

Sorry, didn't know the questions were directed to me. I know Ill probably get burned for answering but here goes.

How do you fix your ball flight?
Changing Path or club face or both?

What steps do you take?
I took lessons. Guy I bonded with. Started with a consistent set up. Unfortunately our guy passed away at 48 from stomach cancer. We haven't even thought about replacing him. I suppose it depends on what ball flight change you want. Ball position. Change path-More or less of in to out or out to in. Open or close club face depending on slice or hook/left or right? Alignment to target? Setup. Back swing, downswing. I like a statement haney made-fix one thing at a time, the next worst mistake.

What type of ball flight do you want?
For this hacker-a one way flight, fade or draw (to start-wouldn't both be nice) In my case its a baby fade, almost consistent.

Do you have the right gear to accomplish the desired ball flight?
Got fitted by a local respected guy-and bought his gear.

Is your swing path right for the ball flight you want?
It is now. I've discovered a flatter swing (or thats how it feels to me) for driver and woods, steeper for irons, and my own concoction for wedges. I spent the past two winters hitting indoors, always at targets.

You and I are the same age and have been playing for about the same length of time. I got to about the same handicap. I took lessons. I think I learned about as much as I can at my age. There's only so much I can do. My back starts getting sore in the middle of a round. And my knees start getting sore as well.

Go play golf. Learn how to play golf. Is your miss consistent? If it is, play it.

The original statement was just to comment on fixing a swing to make it look pretty to someones ideal, vs changing ball flight. I really liked that statement. I'm a 20 hcp, 65 year old hacker, been golfing 6 years, who hates folks giving me advice, because they think that we all should swing like some picture in their head. I don't buy into a one method swing program, everyone seems to have them. Everyone has a different physical makeup, size, flexibility limitations, even ability to learn. I might not look pretty but I'm overweight and inflexible. A bad ball flight for one, might be a perfect ball flight for others.

Sorry, didn't know the questions were directed to me. I know Ill probably get burned for answering but here goes.

How do you fix your ball flight?
Changing Path or club face or both?

What steps do you take?
I took lessons. Guy I bonded with. Started with a consistent set up. Unfortunately our guy passed away at 48 from stomach cancer. We haven't even thought about replacing him. I suppose it depends on what ball flight change you want. Ball position. Change path-More or less of in to out or out to in. Open or close club face depending on slice or hook/left or right? Alignment to target? Setup. Back swing, downswing. I like a statement haney made-fix one thing at a time, the next worst mistake.

What type of ball flight do you want?
For this hacker-a one way flight, fade or draw (to start-wouldn't both be nice) In my case its a baby fade, almost consistent.

Do you have the right gear to accomplish the desired ball flight?
Got fitted by a local respected guy-and bought his gear.

Is your swing path right for the ball flight you want?
It is now. I've discovered a flatter swing (or thats how it feels to me) for driver and woods, steeper for irons, and my own concoction for wedges. I spent the past two winters hitting indoors, always at targets.

Couldn't agree more regarding your disdain for the "one method swing program"...and/or forcing a picture of what's in someone else's head on you.

You and I are the same age and have been playing for about the same length of time. I got to about the same handicap. I took lessons. I think I learned about as much as I can at my age. There's only so much I can do. My back starts getting sore in the middle of a round. And my knees start getting sore as well.

Go play golf. Learn how to play golf. Is your miss consistent? If it is, play it.

Well said. Just rereading Ray Floyds, The Elements of Scoring.Floyd suggests just playing a shot at a time, and not thinking about what you'd like to score. Play to your abilities today.

It's crazy how this game gets in your head-you want to always score better-Yet my handicap and real course experience is telling me what I'll generally shoot.

I like the sentiment of not being overly focused on having a picture perfect swing for the sake of having one (though a picture perfect swing would presumably produce a perfect ball). We can only do what we can do. I think we can get a playable ball without textbook swings. But from there improvements (trajectory, direction, dispersion, distance) probably are going to require changes which inch us back to textbook elements.

Back