Flashback to Your Best Golf. What Were You Playing?

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
I was thinking about this... I've become a bit of a Ping guy, but I don't feel like I'm playing my best golf (it's not you Ping, it's me... probably). But if you think back to when you feel like you were playing your best golf, what were you playing? It doesn't have to be a complete bag at the same time, it can be different facets. Do you ever miss those clubs or wonder if you could get that game back if you had those clubs back?

I'm not sure what has happened, but the best score I ever shot was an 81. Some aging, more out of shape, a wrist surgery (not sure if that has impact or not) and I'm struggling to get back to that point as I'm posting scores in the high 90s, even over 100. I also remember hitting a coupe of bombs about 6 or so years ago, at least one for which I had a witness and we tracked it at 335 with GPS. Internet golf comment if you want people, I had a witness!!! Now, a bomb for me might be 280 with the usual being less. Again, not sure exactly what has happened but I seem to have lost distance.

I'm not sure if this was all around the same time, or if it was the time frame I shot the 81, but when I think back to when I was playing what seems like my best...

Driver: R11 or R11s, Had both, Can't remember which one gave me the longest drives of my life but I think both were solid for me.
Irons: Taylormade MC. It could be that I had a pretty good round with them where I hit a couple of long irons into greens and for some reason that single round stands out in my memory and makes me think I hit my best irons when I had those. They were the MC with the carbon fiber looking stuff and the weight on the back.
Putter: Some form of a spider although others have been mixed in. My favorite is my current one and maybe the vicino.
Ball: Taylormade Penta or some other rendition of the five layer Taylormade ball.
Wood: Callaway X hot. I've had three eagles in my golf days. Two were on the same hole and I believe the approach on those two were both with the xhot. One was about 240 out of a bunker around a tree, but it was a fade shot which is my natural shape. I got it on the green and made the eagle putt. The Xhot is still in my trunk and I've just recently put in the G400 3W but it shouldn't get too comfortable yet.
Wedges: Clevleland 588. Greenside chipping is a strength of mine, but my all time best seemed to be with the 588s.
Hybrid: Callaway Apex stands out. That thing was solid.

Out of all those clubs, the Xhot is the one I still have and just recently took out of the bag.

So what clubs in the past bring back memories of when you were playing really well?

TaylorMade M1 driver
Callaway X2hot Fairway
Titleist 816 H2 hybos
Bridgestone J15 CB irons
Bridgestone J15 wedges
Scotty Cameron Super Rat putter
Bridgestone B330

What's in my bag right now actually. I've never played like I am right now.

What is in my bag right now. Was playing really good golf last season..... and then winter/snow decides it is time to stop.

Yep, I’m currently playing my best golf ever.

For those playing their best right now, congrats! That seems like fun.

TaylorMade M1 driver
Callaway X2hot Fairway
Titleist 816 H2 hybos
Bridgestone J15 CB irons
Bridgestone J15 wedges
Scotty Cameron Super Rat putter
Bridgestone B330

The X Hot and X2 Hot fairways seem legendary. Is Dufner still carrying the X2 Hot 3 wood?

My current bag is very close, earlier this year I went back to what has worked best for me in the past. Here are the only differences:

Driver: M1
Fairway: Great Big Bertha
Putter: depended on the day!

Every club in those spots currently I completely believe are better than what I had.

The same as my current set up except the driver. At that time I was gaming a Taylormade R11.

i guess it would be the set i used to get to my lowest handicap ever, and shoot even par. that said, there are clubs in different slots that i would sub in.

epic w/ thce16 shaft
f7 5w ust elements chrome+
vktr 21* irod tour spx
z565 5-aw modus 105
grindworks 86 series 50/54/58 modus 115w
odyssey oworks 7s
snell mtb (og)

all that said, the set i have now may prove to be the best i've ever gamed. it's really starting to come alive.

Last edited:
Played a great round a few weeks ago with what is in my bag, but the best consistent stretch of golf.... I think I was playing:

Cobra S2 Forged 5-Gw
Cleveland CG14 (I think) 54/58
Cobra Baffler Hybrids both 2 & 4
Scotty Cameron Studio Design Newport 1.5

Not sure on the driver or 3w I had in..... But I do know it was shortly after I went to a golf school with Butch Harmon's group in Vegas and before I met a woman who I would end up marrying. I think those 2 factors had a lot more to do with it than any of the equipment in my bag.

My current setup has me playing my best ever, shot a PB just 2 weeks ago with it. My MP-15's got me on track to shooting really good golf though.

My current bag. Might not show it scoring-wise, but I'm hitting these clubs the best. Then again, I'm better than I used to be.

From 05-07:

Titleist 905 driver
Titleist PT 15 fairway metal
Cleveland Halo hybrid 19*
Titleist black DCI 3-PW
Cleveland 900 56 and 60
Same putter I have now

IIRC, it was back in 2008

07 Burner TP 9.5 driver
07 Burner TP 3w
Mizuno MP37 3-pw
Vokey spin milled wedges 52, 56, 60
Don't remember which putter was in the bag. It was either my SC Timeless, or Never Compromise Sub 30. Can't remember if I had sold my timeless by then or not.

Interesting question. I have actually been pondering this question as I contemplate my December set up. It is this:

Ping G30 SFTec
Don't remember the FW
Callaway RazrX hybrids
Ping I20 irons
set wedges
A 58* from an OEM I don't remember
Scotty Cameron (?) Squareback

My best 9 hole round ever I shot 32 in league with a double bogey on hole 1.

Nike Sumo 5000 Driver
Callaway Hawk Eye 5 Wood
Cleveland Launcher Irons
Cleveland #3 Putter

Old school for my best golf ever......
Callaway GBB Driver 6.5 degree xs shaft
Callaway GBB 3 Wood
Mizuno MP 11 irons 2-PW
Ping Eye 2 Copper SW & LW Red Dot
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

That was a long long time ago.......but i cqn still remember every shot of both my lowest rounds ever in tournament play where i shot 64 twice. Man i miss those days of my golfing ability

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Yesterday's round was my best ever. After a year of ups and mainly downs so far, I stood on the tee at 18 -9 from the championship tees. After shooting -6 on the front I inquired as to what the course record was and was told it was a -8 64. Granted this is a pretty easy course but I've never even flirted with that score before. Anyways nerves got the best of me and I blocked it OB right. Retee and almost do the same thing. Have to punch out and make a lovely triple to seal a most decidedly NOT course record but still a career best round of -6 66. I'll take it even though the end was disappointing.
WITB Yesterday

GBB Epic SZ 9* set -1 N w/ Diamana D+ 70 x-flex

GBB Alpha 816 DBD 14* set -1 N With Speeder 665 Tour X

Cobra Flyz 4-5 Hybrid set at 21* w/ stock Cobra Stiff flex

Callaway Razr X Forged 3-PW w/ Px 6.0 LZ's

TaylorMade 48*, 52*, and 56* TP RAC Wedges with shafts (your guess is as good as mine as to what type, they work and I don't have my clubs with me).

Ball-Callaway SR3-I love this ball!

My best golf was in 2012. My best guess of what I was playing at the time is :
R11s or Cleveland Classic driver
Cobra S2 3 wood
Adams v2 hybrid
Bridgestone J38 irons
J40 wedges
Clay Long putter

I really couldn't say for sure on most of it. From the best of my recollection, I was playing my current Wishon irons in, what I consider, my best round ever. I shot a 36,41-77 round on a par 35,35-71 course in 2010 with those in the bag. The ball was a Nike One Black, I'm almost certain.

I know my best nine ever was a -1 on a par 36 in Turkey. The ball was a Precept Lady (possibly SIII, but I'd have to look). I really am clueless as to what other clubs I was playing. The driver was likely an SMT of some sort. Can't remember which.

I got a late start on the game of golf and gave it a try for several years and then gave the game up for about 15 years after I quit. Then I took the game up again when I was about 62 years of age. I started watching helpful videos and took a lesson or two. Then I started playing twice a week and began to see my score coming down. Then I bought some better clubs and continued to see improvements in my game. Two years ago I got my handicap down to 15, and shot a couple of rounds of 83 and twice shot a 78, but these days I'm only playing once a week and none at all in the winter months. Not playing as much plus a short injury set back has made my handicap go up to a 20. The lowest score I have got so far this year is an 85.

Back