Flat Land or Undulation?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Is your course (or courses you play most) mostly flat or are you dealing with hills and undulation throughout?

little of both, probably more hills.

50/50 mix of "flat" and mountains. By flat I mean they all have elevation changes and rolling hill features. My home course is in a wash, so overall its relatively flat, just seemingly void of level ground.

Mine is about 50/50

Hills for days. So many fun elevation changes. I keep telling myself I’ll try to walk the course one day, but that day hasn’t come.
1629901663704.jpeg

Most of the ones I get to frequently are fairly flat. That's probably why I enjoy Greystone so much - because it has more character.

To be at sea level, there’s a lot of elevated greens.

I do a little of both. I much prefer some elevation and undulation vs flat. Flat is boring.

The course I play most often is hilly, but when you're not directly on a hill, the ground is pretty flat. There is a private course nearby that is more undulating though - not many flat lies on that course.

Generally, I love when a designer (or the natural terrain) can take a course that is on the net pretty flat and make it interesting via smaller scale undulation.

My home course the front is 100% flat and is defended with trees, doglegs, sand and water. The back has some gullies or hills and undulation on most of it and less tree, water hazard as a way of protection. I like having both.

Our course is mostly flat, but there are about 5 holes that you get a lot of undulation. #9 is the toughest as there is barely a flat spot on the entire hole.

From a walking perspective and the overall land my course is super flat. Most of the greens are slightly elevated though so you need to take that into consideration.

Mostly flat here in Florida.

Give me undulation!

gorgeous hole
It’s so much fun! Plays downhill over 100 feet so you some big numbers off the tee. Unfortunately it’s tough to find a flat lie anywhere on the hole and much of the course for that matter.

The course I generally play is relatively flat, but I'm playing league at a different course this year that has a lot of elevation changes.

The courses here in my area are a huge mix of elevation changes, undulations, sidehills, etc...
There are a couple of courses in the area that are mostly flat, but even those have some changes.
My home course has elevation changes as much as 100 feet up or down in a few of the holes.

Up and down for my most played.

My second most played is flat as the eye can see basically.

There are definitely a couple of holes with undulations and drop offs but for the most part here in Indiana a lot of flat land.

I would say our terrain is somewhere in between Myrtle Beach and Atlanta for the area around Louisville.

Terrain is relatively flat. Several of the greens are raised a bit though and the holes that do have some incline are the longer par 4s.

I'm in the Dallas area, so the vast majority of courses are flat as a pancake. I've only ever played three courses with any real elevation change, and enjoyed all of them tremendously. I wish there was more of that available near me.

Back