I guess what happened in Vegas didn’t stay in Vegas! But glad you recovered.

7A4D3FF9-2D7B-4971-8426-F1DDBFA0B139.gif
A5DF295D-6E93-451C-B382-C0300BFE51C6.gif
I thought you were talking about another Plane Ride from Hell…

That sounds horrible, but are you sure it was the cheeseburger from Ruby's? That's awful fast for food poisoning to hit.

That sounds horrible, but are you sure it was the cheeseburger from Ruby's? That's awful fast for food poisoning to hit.
Didn't eat anything that day. I guess it could have been from dinner the night before, but seems like a long time to become what it did.

Didn't eat anything that day. I guess it could have been from dinner the night before, but seems like a long time to become what it did.
I didn't realize that it could hit that quickly, but a quick Google search says symptoms can appear as soon as 30 minutes.

Rough story. Being sick on the airplane has to be the worst. I have two very similar stories. Both food poisoning.

Day after Christmas, supposed to leave on a Hawaii trip with 5 buddies early in the morning. Day of Christmas me and my dog both get food poisoning (not sure how, we didn't eat same food which is extremely strange). Both of us barfing and have the runs like crazy through the night and morning. My dad was supposed pick me up at 5am to drop me off at the airport and take care of my dog. I was going to cancel going on the trip. I hadn't slept all night, but it seems all the barfing and runs stopped, so I decide to go. At the airport, there were long lines for security about an hour and I can feel stuff brewing fiercely. I finally get to the front of security, but someone is holding the line. I'm about to burst and I think I yelled "what the f is taking so long!!" (I was so delirious I'm not sure what I yelled). I do remember seeing a few of my buddies at other side of security pointing and waving at me. I finally get through security and run to the bathroom. I don't know how I made it, but it could of been a disaster. Luckily on the flight I started to feel better, but horrible experience.

Also, years ago in Hong Kong, I ate a hamburger at a small restaurant. Worst mistake. Got the worst food poisoning I have ever had. Stomach was sore from all the barfing. Never will I order hamburger while traveling. Hamburger is very susceptible to getting tainted more easily because of the greater surface area for bacteria to proliferate and grounding process gets it into the entire meat. Steak only for me while traveling.

Last edited:
I can completely relate. I had a very similar experience coming back from Hawaii. Half way from Kona to Denver I started having bad stomach issues. I thought I was in pretty bad shape and just hoped to be able to get to Denver for the layover to get some relief. Not much relief came in the brief layover before getting back on the plane to Atlanta. About 15 minutes into that leg of the trip it got even worse than the first leg of the trip. I mean it got really bad. There was a lot of turbulence (which really didn't affect me as I was already sick) and they didn't want anyone getting up from their seats. I didn't have a choice and started making my way to the restrooms when I was stopped by flight attendant and he instructed me to me to go back to my seat. I promptly explain to him that I need to go to the restroom or I can make the entire flight sick. He then started seeing things my way. For the rest of the flight he monitored my blood oxygen and breathing as well as got me a cold compress and some medical attention. It was food poisoning as well. It makes for such a miserable flight.

and ironically it was a burger that caused it as well.

If you want serious pain from food poisoning either

1. Go to India . When I checked in at the airport going home, I asked for the seat nearest the toilet. The ten hour overnight flight had at least two people waiting out side the toilet all journey.
2. Go on a cruise. Sailing from Southampton to New York, on my wedding anniversary, I started being ill and was trapped in the cabin for two days. My wife said I had a weak stomach, I said I was throwing it as far as I could...

In India, it was salad that made me ill, think about the water it was washed in. On the cruise, it was the buffet.

My sympathies to the OP, that sounds terrible and I hope you are on the mend.

As for terrible flights, I have one but it is for different reasons. About 10 minutes after departing LAX headed to Honolulu our planes cabin filled with smoke and when the pilot descended to depressurize the cockpit, the oxygen masks (or one side of the plane’s) oxygen masks dropped down. The flight attendant with the microphone started telling us to “shout out if we saw anything outside the airplane”, real helpful. Being in an exit row I studied the placard about how to remove the door. Landed back at LAX and proceeded to ride the emergency slide off the plane.

As for the other “situation”… in college, our wakeboard club would take 50 kids an an annual snowboard trip for 5 days. What I thought was food poisoning and destroyed both ends, was not food poisoning. It was to the point where I was barfing up a half ounce sip of water. As patient zero, roughly 3/4 of the group got sick, then after the trip we all went home for Christmas to our families. By total count, I heard of over 100 cases of this scourge affecting parents, siblings, etc and all in similar levels of terrible. Friends were calling me describing their mother and/or father’s most depraved moments and by then it became almost humorous (I was recovered by that point).

Sorry to hear about the bad flight.
Luckily for me I have not had that kind of trouble when travelling.

Back