Flightscope Mevo+ Review

obedt

Reaction score
Handicap
Creciendo
Over the last 15 years, there have been many transformative advacements in golf technology. Some extend beyond the famous What's In The Bag. Key among those has been the realization of capturing ball and club data, while modeling that accurately. As advancements continue, companies are able to produce launch monitors capable of in-home simulation at more consumer-friendly price points.

One of the early entrants to this consumer-friendl-"ier" space is Flightscope with the new Mevo+. A few years back they had introduced the Mevo, which captured 8 data parameters, with the ability to capture your swing on video and overlay the data. The Mevo+ adds various important data parameters.

Flightscope claims the units are capable of properly measuring and or calculating the following:
mevo-table[1].png

These added parameters open up multiple uses, and I'll try my best to enumerate and expand on them as we go:
  • Numbers capture
  • Skills assessment
  • Video capture
  • Simulation

For reference I acquired the unit with certain prioritites in mind:
  1. Video playback with numbers overlaid. I want to be able to send the vid to my instructor and/or the hackpatrol instagram page.
  2. Numbers Numbers Numbers. Ideally would like to see accurate gapping info and get a baseline for driver to see if settings need to be tweaked. Help with bag setup, etc
  3. Skills app to work on short game, intermediate yardages, etc
  4. Down the list is simulation. Just not that into it, although I can see it being valuable to break up the monotony of hitting ball after ball

Important to note - I'm not good at golf. Like, I'm honestly quite bad. I'm not even a reviewer of any sort. Still going to give this review a go as it may benefit some. I'm going to try and break up my follow up posts to include the following, but as always please ask any questions you may be interested in:

• Unit packaging and what's included
  • Set-up (Apps, Physical)
  • Charging
  • Experience (Flightscope apps, simulation)
  • Overall thoughts

Before we get into how the device works for each for each of these, we need to look at what is included and what the recommended set-up is.

The hard shell case came packed in a neat Flightscope box. There was an immediate notice to make sure to use the included charging cable only. The hard shell case can be attached to a golf bag via included carabiner, but will also fit comfortably inside any bag's side pockets. The case is solidly built and is an important touch. Also included was a plethora of documentation. A quick start guide, e6 connect instructions, a guideline for setup and placement, and about 100 metallic stickers. Finally, also included where the aforementioned carabiner, charging brick and cable, a cloth, and a wedge to set the proper tilt for simulation play. The unit itself is about the size of a small tablet.

E64B6CFA-E761-4AB0-B01D-FC4B63D6C6C4.jpeg

550C7BF2-B377-4F73-9082-A09AB73E8D3E.jpeg

1402BBF1-526A-4231-8430-D88AC6A12780.jpeg

unit compared to an iPhone Xr
7D1ACD2C-BF78-4E09-B3F6-6B861B783895.jpeg

Last edited:
Set-Up (App/Connectivity):

The Mevo+ connects to devices via Wifi, which allows for easy set-up. The quickest way to connect to mobile devices is using the provided QR code on the back of the unit. If you prefer to go "old school", the Wifi network the Mevo+ creates will be named after the unit's serial number (FS M2-xxxxxx). The password will be the serial number as well, beginning with the M2-.

There are pluses and minuses to using Wifi as the method of connection. For one, it's extremely easy to setup. The minus is that while connected to the unit, you won't have access to internet unless you have an additional connection. On a computer that would mean either having an ethernet connection to your network or having an additional wifi adapter. On a mobile device the solution would involve having a cellular connection. Fwiw, internet connection is only truly required if playing simulation online. Everything else can be done offline, including solo simulation play.

At this time, Flightscope offers a couple of apps that integrate with the Mevo+: FS Golf and FS Skills. In the future it may integrate with the iPad app Vx app. In addition, an iOS subsrciption to the e6 Connect simulation software is included, including 5 golf courses and 17 practice ranges. That is a significant added value, as simulation software can be very costly. Flightscope has mentioned that they will be integrating their apps into one in the future.

FS Golf (from the developer):
Improve your game and bring your practice to a new level with the FlightScope Golf mobile app. Pair your device with FlightScope Mevo+ or the X3 radar to record training sessions providing accurate data and automatically trimmed video. FS Golf provides various ways of displaying data so you can choose your favourite and focus solely on aspects you want to improve.

Designed for players of all skill levels, from professionals to beginners, in order to enhance their training sessions. Hone your skills with purpose by using Data Margins – choose parameters and pick their minimal and maximum values to get visual feedback when your shot meets set requirements.

Record your sessions assisted by the FS|Golf app on your Apple Watch. You can choose out of six different layouts to display selected parameters of recorded shots. Use your device to review shots and easily change clubs without stopping the session or reaching out for your smartphone. Our Apple Watch app also allows you to check the radar’s status so you will always know when it is ready for the next shot.

Features:

Recording videos with customizable data overlay – choose displayed parameters and put them in an order that suits you.

3D trajectory, top and side views – analyze your shot trajectories from different angles and perspectives.

Grouping shots – review shots grouped by the club you have used.

Data Margins – you can assign margins to any parameter or set of parameters. Results are highlighted green when they are within those values or red when they are outside the scope.

Social Media – share your recorded videos with a customizable data blocks overlay.

Apple Watch – choose one out of six layouts and display selected parameters instantly on your smartwatch, review your shots, switch clubs quickly and easily, and check when the radar is ready for the next shot, all on your wrist.

Compatible with the X3 radar and the new Mevo+.
Parameters for Mevo+ : Carry Distance, Club Head Speed, Ball Speed, Vertical Launch Angle, Spin Rate, Smash Factor, Apex Height, Angle of Attack, Spin Loft, Horizontal Launch Angle, Spin Axis, Roll Distance, Lateral, Shot Type.

Additional parameters for the X3: Club Path, Face to Path, Face to Target, Dynamic Loft, Vertical Descent Angle, Vertical Swing Plane, Horizontal Swing Plane, Low Point, Curve.

Please note: This app requires either FlightScope Mevo+ or the X3 radar to function properly. You can order your unit at www.FlightScope.com or www.FlightScopeMevo.com

This version requires an iPhone supporting the two latest versions of iOS and watchOS 5.0 or later. The HealthKit is only used to run the FS Golf app on the Apple Watch. The app will collect your health data with each shot.

FS Skills (from the developer):

FlightScope Skills allows golfers to test their skills on Apple mobile devices using a FlightScope radar unit. It works by presenting a sequence of virtual targets in a session where golfers can hit shots to each target. Each shot is scored, based on its proximity to the target, and cumulated to give an overall score/performance for the session. The app is fully customizable. Golfers can create their own targets, based on shape, distance and size depending on their goal. Golfers can also create extra pressure during the session by adding a time limit and can have targets pop up randomly to mimic a real golf round. FlightScope Skills users will be able to upload and review their scores and data on MyFlightScope.com. This app can be used both indoors and outdoors.

FlightScope Skills is the latest teaching aid from FlightScope to enable golfers to:

- Track real-time measured data
- Create and play custom skills challenges
- Practice and benchmark with FlightScope Combines
- Analyze scores/statistics
- View FocusBand (mental training) integration data as they play
- Compete, compare & share with friends on MyFlightScope.com
- Play global competitions and earn a spot on one of the MyFlightScope.com leader boards

Last edited:
Charging:

Early adopters had tons of issues with charging, to the point of damaging the unit and having to send it back to Flightscope. As information has come out, it's become public that the board powering the unit is a Raspberry Pi board. That affects the equipment that can be used to charge the unit. To keep this section short and sweet, only do these:

• Use the provided charging brick and (comically short) inlcuded cable. DO NOT USE ANY OTHER MICRO USB Cable unless it was specifically designed for Raspberry Pi
  • Use this -
  • Use of an outdoor rated extension cable is allowed, but do not use a surge protector
  • Use a portable charging battery (2.4 Amps output is recommended) with the included cable

The unit can be used while plugged in. It takes about 2 hours from depleted to fully charged. The battery drain using FS Golf is less than using e6 Connect. I'd estimate that in my limited use so far, I can get about 1.5 hours using e6, and close to 3 hours on FS Golf.

Last edited:
Set-up (Physical):

The main consideration for radar units is the amount of space required. These are meant to provide extremely accurate data outdoors with unobstructed ball flight. The Mevo+ is a limited range tracking device, which means it will track part of the flight and based on its measurements and algorithms model the rest. Its bigger brother, the X3, is a full flight measuring device.

Another key difference between the X3 and Mevo+ is the radar's tilt settings. Getting this right is key to obtaining proper information. On the X3, the device will auto-level and automatically set itself to the correct tilt. The Mevo+ comes with a kickstand, that when fully extended puts the unti at around 17-18 degrees of tilt. This is the recommended measurement for full shots tracking. Simulation play requires tracking of lower launch for chipping and putting, and Flightscope recommends 12 degrees of tilt for this.

One of the major pluses of the Mevo+'s design is its portability. While it isn't quite as small as the Mevo, the bigger brother is still very portable. It can easily be taken to the range, on course, or inside. When hitting into a net, Flightscope suggest putting one metallic dot on the ball for improved spin readings.

Flightscope includes this handy little picture for recommended set-ups.

2020-07-26_FS Setup.jpg

2020-07-26_FS Setup2.jpg

Minimum space is about 16 feet from the net or screen to the unit. 17 feet is highly recommended, as this allows 10 feet from ball to screen and 7 feet from the Mevo+ to the ball. One important caveat, Flightscope recommends a flat area from the unit to the ball. If the hitting area is elevated a few inches, that information can be set in the FS app. The worst configuration according to some is having an elevated hitting area, a dropoff, and then having the Mevo level to the hitting area or higher than it.

I am still getting acquainted with the unit, but in my early sessions I have noticed a difference depending on set-up. What has worked best so far for me outside simulation has been setting the unit 8' from the ball and 10' to the net, with tilt between 17 and 18. In simulation play, anywhere between 7' and 7'6" with 12 degrees of tilt has worked fairly well.

Last edited:
Really appreciate you taking the time to bring all this to us as you get started @obedt .

Really appreciate you taking the time to bring all this to us as you get started @obedt .
You got it and thanks for commenting! I'm just about done with all the required information and will get into my thoughts (Good and Bad) so far. Don't be afraid to shoot any questions

Like the review.

Will be interested to hear how accurate.

Set-Up (App/Connectivity):

The Mevo+ connects to devices via Wifi, which allows for easy set-up.
I really appreciate what you are doing. You've already put quite a bit of time on this. Just so no one thinks they have to have WiFi access at the range. Let me clarify the above.

The initial setup should be done by having MEVO+ and your mobile devices on the same WiFi network. After setup, when you go to the range make sure your mobile device has both WiFi and bluetooth enabled. The reason is many ranges don't have a public WiFi. When that happens, MEVO+ creates its own hotspot to make it possible to connect 1:1 with your camera and mobile device. To bridge this connection, Mevo uses Bluetooth or Bonjour to hand off specific information to make the connection.

What's the price point on this? If it's in there, I missed it.

I really appreciate what you are doing. You've already put quite a bit of time on this. Just so no one thinks they have to have WiFi access at the range. Let me clarify the above.

The initial setup should be done by having MEVO+ and your mobile devices on the same WiFi network. After setup, when you go to the range make sure your mobile device has both WiFi and bluetooth enabled. The reason is many ranges don't have a public WiFi. When that happens, MEVO+ creates its own hotspot to make it possible to connect 1:1 with your camera and mobile device. To bridge this connection, Mevo uses Bluetooth or Bonjour to hand off specific information to make the connection.
Great explanation! Thanks for adding this in.

One important part of the setup I missed was Alignment. I’ll get some screenshots of the process.

It’s very quick and easy to do. Well thought out imho, which is key because it has a significant effect on results.

Ok, deeper dive into my experience with the unit and its software suite. FS Golf? Yes, FS Golf since admittedly I haven't even tried FS Skills yet.

I don't want to get too wordy, which is one of my many faults I know, but FS Golf has a high level of capability and this could get extensive. For one, any firmware updates get pushed through this app. Flightscope to their credit are working hard on updating the unit and the software, to the point where on the second day of me receiving the unit there was already a new firmware version. I believe it updates the unit automatically, but will follow up. They have a lot of updates in the pipeline still.

Ok, so opening the FS Golf app provides a screen focusing on your prior sessions.

473A17F4-D329-4202-8D11-47CF3BDE5B4D.png

Top right is the connection indicator. This will either be "No Device", "Sleeping" or "Connected". Just next to that to the left is a Gear button which keys Settings and to the left of that is a locked Cloud. Weather conditions cannot be adjusted for when hitting indoors yet, although Flightscope will open that up in some time. Click on that big ole Gear and you get to this screen:

F3F203E7-83AA-4B54-A74A-1004DD8B657B.png

Top to Bottom-
  1. Short Indoor (ball to net is less than 13 feet) - this is what I'm using at 10 feet ball to net.
  2. Indoor (ball to net is more than 13 feet)
  3. Long Indoor (ball to net is more than 40 yards) - this makes sense in a dome setting
  4. Outdoor (unrestricted) flight.

Next, it allows you verify the Radar's tilt and roll settings so you can get them correct. You'd like roll to be below 1 degree (the flatter the better) and the tilt anywhere between 17 and 18.

Radar setup allows you to set the distance to the ball and the mat height in case you are not level with the Mevo+. Critical also is that this is where you go to properly align the unit. Will do a separate post on that.

Measurement units are whether you want metric or imperial, Farenheit or Celsius.

Data block are which parameters you want to see on screen. I can go deeper on trajectory charts or data margins later if requested.

Clubs, balls, right now you can add as many as you would like. Switching clubs & ball in the app while in session is a breeze.

Ok, that more or less covers settings. Once those are complete, click on Start New Session. Put a ball on your mat, align the dot towards the screen/net if indoors, and start swinging. The device will provide and audible "Ready" once it's set up. Once the strike is complete it will also state carry distance. The app will record your swing as well and you can choose between front and rear cameras. Multiple clubs/ball types can be used in the session. When you're done, close the session and review the data. If you have an internet connection, the data from your session will push to myflightscope.com.

The app's home screen will have the sessions right there, so you can click on one and scroll through all the shots in a vast # of formats

A292B43A-3145-4D21-8833-FAAFE4E9A73A.png

F9EB6426-9037-4F18-8DC9-2490B613D799.png

5794FB7F-B152-4B4F-B7CB-6DBBB2D8160F.png

078C3008-1F65-4377-930D-74EEECFAC3E5.png

(I’m in the backyard people. Don’t judge the outfit).

69008791-F146-440D-ACFF-918A1002799A.png

Last edited:
I can understand the disappointment from everyone looking at my #s. Internet golfer card revoked! Truth is, I think those numbers are accurate. Last time I hit on Trackman was a few years ago thanks to a THP event, and my bag was a different set-up, but numbers were in the same ball park. And honestly they make sense for me playing at sea level. Around 160-165 yards out, considering roll, I hit my 6 iron.
Here's a neat little breakdown of #s I got testing the Srixon Soft Feel and Z-Star balls:

PW, Soft Feel:
40022035-B1A0-408D-9524-97DEADBC7C66.png

PW, Z-Star
AB3FAD5D-24AD-450E-BB79-AB473A0DA281.png

6i, Soft Feel
5BA1758C-64DF-44CD-8447-4455874F4D84.png

6i, Z-Star
BC783AF7-9B49-4A1D-AE96-CCC88AD1F882.png

I'm obviously not close to a robot, but thought the swings were similar, and even at my swing speed there were notable differences in spin results.

I got those results with the Flightscope recommended set-up. 8' ball to Mevo+, between 17 and 18 degrees of tilt. I had previously tried closer to 9' from unit to ball, and honestly didn'y pay as much attention to tilt but it was in the accepted range. I did not think those #s were representative results, which I would like to highlight how setup can have an effect.

Screenshot from myflightscope.com
8i From 8'10":
8i Bad.jpg

8i from 8':

8i Good.jpg

Speed and launch settings are particularly affected in what I thought were fairly similar swings. I believe the numbers from 8' to be accurate.

This was an imperfect comparison since the tilt setting may have been a little different, but I wanted to highlight that in my experience radar setup is very important.

Last edited:
Wow, big differences per setup distance/tilt. Thanks for sharing that. I'm even more intrigued to follow your review now. My numbers for those 3 clubs are almost spot on with yours ... And I'm not at sea level, just getting old:( A Mevo+ is going to happen for me so your detailed work is pure gold!

Way too early impressions on accuracy hitting into a net:

I tried to hammer home how important finding the right setup is. From what I've read, some have had success right out of the box but for most people there is a little bit of trial and error involved, which mirrors my experience. I'm not 100% set yet on mine tbh.

Early on I tried an iron gapping session, without really understanding the unit setup's importance. Results seemed good through 8i, but once I got to 6i, 5i and the 4 utility launch was so low that they all carried similar distances as the 7i. I probably had the tilt setup improperly or the unit too far from the ball. I'm going to retry that this week if time permits. In all honesty this is a tough week and I may not have as much time as I'd like, which is why I wanted to get as much information out there for THPers now.

In e6 connect, playing simulation, the data is sent from the Mevo+ to whatever device you are using, but not pushed back to myflightscope.com so I can't track the numbers. My experience is that the numbers during simulation play have matched up with my expectation on full swings from heavenwood down to my wedges. I'm extremely pleased with accuracy on full shots whether in simulation or in FS Golf with all but one club.

With driver, first of all my swing there has been an absolute dumpster fire. I've been hitting some duck hooks on the app and that's unfortunately probably accurate. Truth is I just haven't hit driver much at all this year. However, the shots I believe to have been struck well don't show in e6 or in FS Golf as having the expected distance. Arccos golf has my smart distance somewhere in the 230s. Really well struck shots usually wind up about 240 yards out. I've hit on trackman before and ball speed is low 140s or high 130s. I struggle to reach those ball speeds here, which may be "indoor swing syndrome" showing up or it could be something else. Club speed routinely is in the low 90s though which is where I've been in the past. Also, I believe spin w/ driver is ticking up higher than expected. Well struck shots should be below 3k revolutions with my setup, but I've seen high 3s and 4k too often for my liking. I’m lucky right now to see 210 yard drives in app or simulation play.

This may all be explained away with setup, which is why these are too early of impressions. Since this week is going to be tough for me, I will troubleshoot myself if possible and contact Flightscope support next week when things should settle down. They contact the unit remotely and verify certain proprietary parameters, check surroundings, etc. From all accounts their support has been superb.

Way too early impressions on accuracy hitting on the range:
Incomplete. Range is closed due to the government's latest executive order from the COVID response

Way too early impressions on accuracy outside on the course:
Incomplete. Will try and get out for 9 and update after hitting a handful of shots

Last edited:
Wow, big differences per setup distance/tilt. Thanks for sharing that. I'm even more intrigued to follow your review now. My numbers for those 3 clubs are almost spot on with yours ... And I'm not at sea level, just getting old:( A Mevo+ is going to happen for me so your detailed work is pure gold!

Thanks man!! I really do appreciate it. What is your proposed setup (indoor? Outdoor? )? How much space do you have? There’s pluses and minuses. If I can get the driver numbers closer to reality I’ll be ecstatic with the unit.

Thanks man!! I really do appreciate it. What is your proposed setup (indoor? Outdoor? )? How much space do you have? There’s pluses and minuses. If I can get the driver numbers closer to reality I’ll be ecstatic with the unit.
My physical setup will be similar to yours for the time being. Probably will be in either 'indoor' or 'short indoor' mode. Fearing covid would shut everything down I bought a 15x12 hitting net and a 5x5 mat. I suspended a cable across my backyard, sunk some mow over structures to hold my removable side supports, and it's pretty easy to string up my net when needed. Really haven't used it much as none of our ranges or courses ever closed. Right now I use my SC200 launch monitor when I set it up. I am hoping to build a heatable covered structure for winter but I'm married so that would need approval from a 'higher authority'. FWIW I wasn't dumb enough to ask to use either of our indoor rooms with appropriate ceiling height:LOL: I haven't thought much on the electronics I'll use yet as Mevo+ is likely a next winter thing.

I'll be very interested to learn how it all goes with your driver discrepancies. I'm guessing it's something simple in the setup too.(y)

Last edited:
This is fantastic information. I was eyeing one of these units knowing it can be used both outdoors and indoors. I'm looking forward to more of your thoughts as you take it on range and course.

My physical setup will be similar to yours for the time being. Probably will be in either 'indoor' or 'short indoor' mode. Fearing covid would shut everything down I bought a 15x12 hitting net and a 5x5 mat. I suspended a cable across my backyard, sunk some mow over structures to hold my removable side supports, and it's pretty easy to string up my net when needed. Really haven't used it much as none of our ranges or courses ever closed. Right now I use my SC200 launch monitor when I set it up. I am hoping to build a heatable covered structure for winter but I'm married so that would need approval from a 'higher authority'. FWIW I wasn't dumb enough to ask to use either of our indoor rooms with appropriate ceiling height:LOL: I haven't thought much on the electronics I'll use yet as Mevo+ is likely a next winter thing.

I'll be very interested to learn how it all goes with your driver discrepancies. I'm guessing it's something simple in the setup too.(y)

Good stuff. I wish my hitting area was covered since I am in the tropics. It’s funny, we had a drought going since I ordered the unit to the day it shipped. Now it’s been raining about every day.

Sounds like you have it all figured out. As long as you have the 17 feet or so this should work nicely.

great write up @obedt...enjoying following along on this.

Well done so far @obedt ... a lot of great info and well written. (y)

I was able to get out on course yesterday afternoon. It’s a short and very tight course with not many wide open holes, and it was packed. I only got a chance to setup the Mevo+ on 2 holes and hit 5 balls total. Only got data for four as the first one I took too long setting up and the unit went asleep. Waking it up is easy as a popup appears on the phone, but I honestly wasn’t paying attention. Unfortunately that shot was the best of the bunch.

What little I can glean from those 4 (mostly bad) shots:
1) I swing driver faster on course than into my net. ~3mph.
2) I’ve lost speed over the last 8 months. Was around 138 mph ball speed where I remember getting up to 142-144
3) With limited flight into a net, the unit has been representing higher spin than outside. This is most likely setup related.
4) It was really windy and I was getting some decent roll. This made it hard to measure if the distances the unit provided outdoors were accurate. Still, my impression was that the numbers I was getting outdoors were solid. It captured the ball flight perfectly.

BTW, when I set up the Mevo+ to outdoors, the app got a gps image of my location on course and added a step prompting that I set the direction. It looked cool, but not sure the reasoning behind it.

A week and a couple hundred shots (between FS Golf and simulation) into the unit, I’m very happy with the Mevo+. Having your swing and numbers available is terrific feedback for a golf nerd. Once you figure out the adequate setup it is very simple and easy to use.

Where I believe the unit can truly shine is for golf coaches and local teaching professionals.

Having multiple students or in a team environment, the Mevo+ and included software:
*allows the ability to have multiple players setup under your account
* record their swings and upload to a cloud
* have their numbers ready
* perform skills assessments and setup challenges to improve particular deficiencies

This provides a tangible way to see player improvement. There’s a lot of value there. That the software, including some simulation, is included and doesn’t require any subscriptions is unique and speaks extremely highly of Flightscope’s consumer friendly business model.

I don’t believe the expectation should be that the unit be as accurate as Trackman4 or GCQuad at less than a tenth of the cost. I find the unit to be quite accurate though. Hopefully at some point I’ll be able to test that against another LM and key in on differences. So far so good though.

Last edited:
Back