Flightscope Mevo+ Review

@obedt you're doing (Golf) God's work here. More often than not, people run into issues with Flightscope product accuracy, regardless of price point. Heck, I have a buddy who waited MONTHS for his Mevo+ and Flightscope customer service wouldn't even update him.

As they say, there are two sides to every story, so the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Will be following along.

Great work obedt. Looking forward to seeing the updates. I'm on the fence about getting a simulator and the mevo+ has my attention.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

@obedt you're doing (Golf) God's work here. More often than not, people run into issues with Flightscope product accuracy, regardless of price point. Heck, I have a buddy who waited MONTHS for his Mevo+ and Flightscope customer service wouldn't even update him.

As they say, there are two sides to every story, so the truth lies somewhere in the middle. Will be following along.
I hear you man. Big thanks for sticking your head in the thread and chiming in. Please continue to do so, and if there's anything in particular you'd like info on let me know. While I waited for my unit I did see some others comment both positive and negative thoughts. I guess the most honest approach for me is to focus on my experience with the unit and provide the most accurate account I can. I'd still advise anyone interested to perform as much research as possible; $2k is a big chunk of change. My thoughts may come off as overly positive, but my experience since receiving it has been a good one so far.

When I purchased the unit the lead time was 8 weeks; this grew due to COVID related delays to 14 weeks which is about the time it took to ship the item to me. I paid fully up front. Flightscope sent me an email confirming the order; their next proactive communication was a shipping notice months later. I did bug them every few weeks, first by online chat and later via email. Email responses typically came in one or two business days later. They were understanding and apologetic, but I could get the sense they may have been caught off guard by the amount of preorders. There is room for improvement in their communication, and I did mention it to them in one of the early live chats.

I guess this is a good opportunity for the benfit of others that don't really know me - I'm not sponsored by Flightscope in any way nor did I receive any preferential treatment. During the purchase process or as I awaited shipping I made no mention of providing an unofficial review on a reputable golf forum. I'm definitely not some social media influencer who stands to make anything writing positive thoughts on a product. Just a regular consumer here with a God-awful swing and apparently too much time on his hands.

Great work obedt. Looking forward to seeing the updates. I'm on the fence about getting a simulator and the mevo+ has my attention.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
My $.02, for what they're worth. If you're only looking for a simulator, I'd view all options. The Mevo+ is capable of it, but imho one of the real stengths of the unit is the ability to take it outside. I'm anxious to get it out on the range for example. I haven't made a full post on simulation but will in the future once I really get into it. Quick synopys - full swings besides driver appear to be very accurate. Short game is a bit of a guessing game for me.

Have not been able to test this much, with a tropical storm and some other issues popping up this week. I did hit driver today to test a different setup (17 degrees tilt, 7’4” ball to unit). Was happy with the results considering I was swinging ~4 mph less than on course. Started with some higher spinners, but got a bunch below 2500 rpm. I think if I set the ground conditions to hard my total distance will be very close to what arccos shows.

I really want to go through the bag at this distance, and see if everything checks out (I think it will).

Here are the driver #s for your dissecting pleasure, from myflightscope.com. Top set are indoors into a net. Bottom set are a few misstruck drivers in a hurry out on the course (wind as coming off the right, with OB right, so left misses are common on this hole). If I had put a decent strike on the outdoor shots (~1.46 or 1.47 smash), ball speed would have been at my top end which is low to mid 140s. Looks legit. Into the net, as mentioned before, I'm just much slower.

Looks like the first few into the net I was hitting low and heel side. Once I improved strike spin fell into a nice window. Gave me confidence the numbers are legit.

●EF Flash 9 - Evenflow Black
ShotVideoCarry (yds)Club (mph)Ball (mph)Launch V (°)Spin (rpm)SmashHeight (ft)Time (s)AOA (°)Spin Loft (°)Launch H (°)Spin Axis (°)Roll DistanceTotal (yds)Lateral (yds)Shot TypeMode
1192.287.5127.316.642381.45986.33.415.56.6 R5.8 L3.5195.817.8 RDrawShort Indoor
3188.687.9126.114.241251.43815.95.19.912.1 R0.8 R4.4193.140.5 RPushShort Indoor
4185.586.3125.913.640911.46705.55.69.99.6 R29.2 L6.519210.7 RHookShort Indoor
5185.887.2127.512.439441.46625.34.510.37.7 R34 L8.5194.22.1 RHookShort Indoor
6193.590.4131.613.318421.46554.85.111.210.4 R37.1 L19.2212.717.2 RDrawShort Indoor
7162.189.5129.79.716481.45303.66.712.29.2 R45 L32.6194.711.8 RDrawShort Indoor
8193.189.4128.414.125111.44635.24.812.310.1 R32.2 L12.920615.7 RDrawShort Indoor
918389.61291238601.44544.97.110.17.7 R45 L11.9194.74.1 LHookShort Indoor
10196.689.4131.213.320371.475952.414.510.8 R30.1 L16.1212.721.4 RDrawShort Indoor
11190.989.8130.312.721271.45544.8313.39.9 R34.2 L17.5208.416 RDrawShort Indoor
Average187.1388.7128.713.193042.31.4562.65.134.7711.9213.31200.43
ShotVideoCarry (yds)Club (mph)Ball (mph)Launch V (°)Spin (rpm)SmashHeight (ft)Time (s)AOA (°)Spin Loft (°)Launch H (°)Spin Axis (°)Roll DistanceTotal (yds)Lateral (yds)Shot TypeMode
2208.895.8136.213.432131.42805.9213.21.7 L23.5 L7.5216.319.8 LDrawOutdoor
3197.498.71351426181.376355.211.51.1 L
1204.596.7137.610.917721.425457.99.30.9 L13 L17.8222.313.7 LDrawOutdoor
Average203.5797.07136.2712.772,534.331.4065.675.305.0311.3312.65219.30

So, today set it up for sim using e6 connect on the phone. Other attempts at simulation were with the pc and the e6 demo license. (only has the Aviara course). The included iOS version provides 5 courses. I tried the Belfry and it kicked my butt.

My setup doesn't allow for putting (if it were a camera-based system I could probably pull it off). There is a setting for "computer decides # of putts", which is what I use. I'm thinking setup wasn't good, because my numbers with driver were terrible. Also, I guess I didn't get the alignment right. The course played at nearly 7,000 yards. It was just a recipe for disaster haha. Have got to pay more attention to set up. The smart move is to set it up, go the the virtual practice range and fine tune before heading out "to the course."

Didn't have issues reading chips, but distance control on short game is incredibly difficult. I don't rely on numbes 50y and in, so having to guess only presented with a number is extra tough. I want to focus on other aspects besides simulation, but once I feel comfortable with everything else will camp out on the short game practice area and hopefully everything in.

Any questions you'd all like answered? I still have to go through my bag and get into the FS Skills app so there will be more coming, but feel free to ask anything.

Quick bump on this. Unfortunately haven't used it as much as I'd like. Did have a good sim round last weekend where numbers and results seemed to be close to what I'd expect on course.

Tried a gapping session, and there were a few issues with spin reads on one club (5i), but otherwise seemed about right. Really comes down to having setup good imho, and you can get good results from it. Unfortunately our ranges are closed and that's one place I really want to put this through its paces.

Quick bump on this. Unfortunately haven't used it as much as I'd like. Did have a good sim round last weekend where numbers and results seemed to be close to what I'd expect on course.

Tried a gapping session, and there were a few issues with spin reads on one club (5i), but otherwise seemed about right. Really comes down to having setup good imho, and you can get good results from it. Unfortunately our ranges are closed and that's one place I really want to put this through its paces.
I really liked it at the range. You've realized setup is everything, but personally, at the range the key is to not make it more complicated than need be. I found to get the best readings it was easiest to bring something flat to set it on, get it set up well, and then work the divot pattern in sort of a quarter circle, rotating the mevo with it. You can work front to back a little, but you still end up having to rotate or end up realigning. Like anything it got easier the more we did it. Hope you get out there soon. (y)

Tried both simulation and FSGolf today and couldn't get either to read correctly. Super low spin bullets, and numbers were way short. OBviously hitting into a net I can't 100% certify it was wrong, but I really think it was. Put a lot of effort trying to get good data today and got nothing out of it. Hopefully will get another try tomorrow but this sucked today.

After a few bad weeks of little practice, and bad results when using the device, got it to work really nicely this am.

I added a little spurk mat beneath the unit. Looks like having it closer to level to the hitting surface made a world of difference.

08AB55F8-916E-4736-A3E0-853909FD70B0.jpeg
my mat is all messed and I have a new on the way fwiw. Still, results seemed to really line up with my expectations. Spin may have been slightly off since I didn’t have a sticker on the ball. Just wanted to see how reliably I could get my ball flight.

There was a recent update to the app (allows the device’s camera to take video, rather than having to use the phone). There’s a bug there where it will take too long to save the shot data. May be taking up to 30 seconds. Guessing FS will fix it with the next update, but it is annoying.

Range opened up. I’m going to head over there next week with the unit. Have been looking forward to using it with unrestricted flight.

Got out to the range yesterday and hit close to 50 balls. Setup is a mat, and then the Mevo was a few feet back below the surface. The FS Golf App allows for user entry for this (I used an 1" in the app). Average yardages and ball flight direction/curvature looked good, but ball flight height was definitely off. Next time I go going to try and put another mat behind the hitting one, making it a continuous surface. I think that will give very accurate results.

Flightscope released an update on Android, and will have the iOS version ready in a couple weeks. It allows for normalization of range balls, among other things. Supposedly it's a pretty big update.

I was stuck in a little bit of a rut with the unit for a couple weeks, but got it back to where I am enjoying it. Being a golf & numbers geek this kind of thing is up my alley. Also, man it has given a ton of appreciation for our reviewers here. Getting numbers with context and working them into reviews is tougher than it sounds. Big shoutout to James, Gary, Dean and Dan.

Used again yesterday pm into the net (driver only) and today had a prolonged range session.

Nothing new to report on yesterday's session. Was a bit all over the place. Today, though, I though I got good enough results to book a Callaway Distance Fitting. Setup was again on mats, but used a ball box to have the unit close to the same height as the turf. I've read bad things about having this type of setup where there is a mat, a drop-off of an inch or two and then raising the unit. For what it's worth I thought the results were solid. Carry yardage may have been over-estimated to what I expect by ~5%, but that's my perception.

I am anxious to drop another mat behind the one I hit off and place the Mevo+ on the second one, but that won't be allowed for now. Whenever I get that chance I'll report back. Still, got decent numbers.

A few screenshots from FS Golf:

6983ECEC-059B-4384-B00D-E5E68D16A1C3.png
DB376046-FB77-4DAD-AEB4-CDD7B654736E.jpeg

5CD6D245-3B24-4264-8830-CA623D3CD889.png
036A8ED1-D8ED-42BD-9623-9BAA1B1A7081.jpeg

E05BE83C-4E1F-407E-8BF1-53EDD9B315DC.png
DE855ED5-6EDE-417B-A491-9D22DE30D6C8.jpeg

Also my buddy came over to my stall and I had him play an e6 sim round at Aviara. One thing I noticed, even outside the unit will struggle with gear effect off driver. Balls that started left and then turned back in, which would probably have been fairways hit, just stayed left in the sim round. Ball speed and yardages seemed good though. It missed some really short chips, but other than that seemed to do a good enough job in sim for what we were looking for.

Last edited:
Weekly update. No real course time but did take it to the range twice. Second time had a virtual match with my buddy "in Aviara." Bunker shots and finesse shots can be difficult, but other than that no real issues. For me, the sim is added value where as for others it will be the primary reason for purchase. I use it when I don't really want to work on anything but want to get a feel for hitting different clubs as I would out on the course.

This week Flightscope has pushed a couple of firmware updates. From what little I've read, one of the focus points was improving accuracy in limited flight environments. I borrowed my mom's older ipad mini and used that instead of the phone this am. Hit a few shots with 8i, 9i, and driver. Then tried the Skills app which honestly looks better on ipad. The data was pushed to myflightscope.

2020-09-13.png

A3A3D316-D601-4028-9CCC-D453E7A7307C.jpeg
The app sets different targets (this time they were at 50, 100, 125, 150 and 180 yards). I struggled on longer shots, partly because my mat is barely usable any more in that section. It assigns points based on how close to the target you were. Then it compares your score to PGA tour pros in order to humble and belittle you for being this bad at golf and still spending 2 grand on it.

In terms of data accuracy into the net, I noticed a definite improvement off driver. That was my biggest hang up with the unit, as I thought into the net every other club was working well but I wasn't getting good readings off driver. With the latest update that changed. Yardages were very much in line with what I expected.

The only issue I had this AM was with missed shots. I'm used to getting the occasional no read in the FS golf app, but this morning there were too many. I think about 1/3 of my shots didn't register. I'll try again, hopefully with a new mat, and post an upadte. It didn't miss a single shot in FS skills, so it may just be something FS golf can fix with an update.

Speaking of FS golf, it really does look nicer on ipad.

0F3D60E0-D452-444A-AA9C-15CCD47E8C49.jpeg

Last edited:
Obedt, thanks for your continued updates over the past few months. I currently have a Skytrac but have a Mevo + on order (it's been about 7 weeks, approx 7 more to go :().

Obed!!!

Just got up on this - freaking outstanding job reviewing the Mevo+

the posts and updates are much appreciated!!!

$2,000 ppt prices me out of it though

@obedt how has the mevo+ been working for you lately?

I know they have released a couple firmware updates since your last post.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

@obedt you still enjoying the Mevo+? I'm still in ponder mode but days like this when there is snow on the ground it amps up getting something.

@obedt

Saw this thread late, but it was really interesting! Appreciate all info you've given.

Do you still see lower driver club head speed in net vs. on range/course?
I go to a golf simulator place with Trackman, and I also see lower club head speed compared to what I saw on the Trackman outdoors at the driving range last summer.
(I was about 93-95 mph outdoors on the range, and 85-88 indoors.)
Maybe "indoor swing syndrome"...

Anyway, great work! And now I know what gadget to put on my wish list :)

Obed!!!

Just got up on this - freaking outstanding job reviewing the Mevo+

the posts and updates are much appreciated!!!

$2,000 ppt prices me out of it though
Thanks my man! Hope everything is good on your end! Happy belated New Year!

@obedt how has the mevo+ been working for you lately?

I know they have released a couple firmware updates since your last post.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Hey man! Hope everything is going well! A lot of the updates have had to do with putting which honestly I haven't even tried. It seems the unit is really hit or miss there. For me, I did notice a difference in that I was able to get driver into a net to be accurate. I moved back to 11-12' of ball flight, made sure the ball had a dot. The FS golf will italicize an estimated spin number (which is usually 800+ RPM higher than reality). Once I made those changes the app started showing measured spin which were in the mid 2000s, along where I would expect. Distance started hitting the numbers I expected. Played a sim round like this and it made a world of difference.

@obedt you still enjoying the Mevo+? I'm still in ponder mode but days like this when there is snow on the ground it amps up getting something.
I think it's a solid unit man. The big thing is having the setup right imo. SkyTrak is much less dependent on setup. IMO if you have that part of it no problem, and are fine overlooking putting difficulty for what I believe to be a more accurate unit, then it makes sense to go this route.

@obedt

Saw this thread late, but it was really interesting! Appreciate all info you've given.

Do you still see lower driver club head speed in net vs. on range/course?
I go to a golf simulator place with Trackman, and I also see lower club head speed compared to what I saw on the Trackman outdoors at the driving range last summer.
(I was about 93-95 mph outdoors on the range, and 85-88 indoors.)
Maybe "indoor swing syndrome"...

Anyway, great work! And now I know what gadget to put on my wish list :)

I think spin is fairly similar now, as long as it's measured, whether it be outdoors or in. If the unit isn't able to measure indoors for whatever reason, then it shoots up and becomes a distance killer. My SS is close to spot on yours fwiw.

Hey man! Hope everything is going well! A lot of the updates have had to do with putting which honestly I haven't even tried. It seems the unit is really hit or miss there. For me, I did notice a difference in that I was able to get driver into a net to be accurate. I moved back to 11-12' of ball flight, made sure the ball had a dot. The FS golf will italicize an estimated spin number (which is usually 800+ RPM higher than reality). Once I made those changes the app started showing measured spin which were in the mid 2000s, along where I would expect. Distance started hitting the numbers I expected. Played a sim round like this and it made a world of difference.

I think it's a solid unit man. The big thing is having the setup right imo. SkyTrak is much less dependent on setup. IMO if you have that part of it no problem, and are fine overlooking putting difficulty for what I believe to be a more accurate unit, then it makes sense to go this route.

I think spin is fairly similar now, as long as it's measured, whether it be outdoors or in. If the unit isn't able to measure indoors for whatever reason, then it shoots up and becomes a distance killer. My SS is close to spot on yours fwiw.

Thanks for the heads-up! Does the driver swing speed still differ "outdoors" vs. "indoors"?

Some updated thoughts -

* Already covered a lot of it on the post above. I think Flightscope have figured out some of the driver issues, but still have a little ways to go. If they can get estimated spin lower, I think they'll please a lot of users. The problem is that, at the speed the ball comes off driver even with a metallic dot to help it is very difficult to have enough ball rotations to measure spin before it hits a net 8' away. For me, moving from Short Indoor mode to Indoor and giving the unit a few more feet of ball flight (11-12') made all the difference.

* WIth my setup outdoors, it will be very costly or ugly (wife disapproved) to get putting to work. The unit pretty much requires a flat surface from unit to ball to net for putting to work. I don't have the budget or space for a 10' W x 20' L to have a platform, hitting area or lay down that much artificial turf. So it is a bit of a struggle. I truly wish someone would offer a Souped-up version of the SkyTrak - a portable camera based system, still keeping at or below 4k. If I had the budget I'd bump up to a GC2. I think if you have a sim room with the required dimensiones that this is the better unit than the SkyTrak fwiw. The space required is what's killing me.

* A buddy just got Mavrik irons to replace his Callaway Edge Costco ones. He asked me to help him get his gapping and carry numbers. We went to the range with the Mevo+. He told me his expected numbers with his old irons (160y carry with 8i). I asked him to hit a few to baseline. Strike dependant, he did get a few out to 160 but had more in the 150y range. Then he started hitting the Mavrik 8i. Carry jumped to 167, and he was really steady there. I was surprised that spin was higher despite the stronger lofts. The big story besides the 8 or so yards he got across the board was how tight his front to back dispersion was with the new irons. We gapped from 6i to his wedges. I emailed him the numbers from the myflightscope page. A combination of better (& better fitting) irons plus having his carry #s down has him playing the best golf of his life. If he keeps this up, he should become a single digit this year.

I'll try to be better at answering questions. Sorry guys.

Thanks for the heads-up! Does the driver swing speed still differ "outdoors" vs. "indoors"?
I honestly think this has been more me than the unit. The gap is closing. My last sessions with it on FS golf were late December-early January and swing speed was topping out at 93, usually low 90s. I think the Mevo+ reads club head speed a cpl mph fast, andhave topped out at 95 mph with it on the range. I don't think I swing quite that fast (average?)

Hope you and the fam are doing well bud

Did a quick test with driver from different distances into my backyard net. All set to 7'6" ball to Mevo+

From 9' ball to net, short indoor mode: 3 drives, was not able to measure spin on any of them. All were extremely higher than expected (close to 4k)
From 11' ball to net, indoor mode: 10 drives, measured spin on the first 5 drives. Next 5 it again estimated very high. Possible the mat moved*
From 13' ball to net, indoor mode: 6 drives, measured spin on 3.

Based off this if I were to go to a permanent set-up I'd likely set up 11 feet ball to net. I don't believe a 50% hit rate is acceptable though. From hybrid to wedges on full shots I don't think it makes too much of a difference tbh, but driver results are still hit or miss.

Back