Flu Season - Do You Get A Flu Shot?

BigDill

2023 Morgan Cup - Team Hackers - Cobra Golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Apparently flu season has come early this year. I usually wait until it starts to get cooler here in FL to get my flu shot, but this year I got hit hard and early. As I sit here on day 2 of Type B Influenza, it makes me regret not getting the flu shot on time.

Do any of you all make it a point to get a flu shot? Does anyone avoid it?

Never have, likely never will

Never have, likely never will
Any specific reason why? I am usually someone who likes as little medical intervention in my life as possible, but I have been a big fan of flu shots since the kids started school. I swear elementary school is a little petri dish of horrors.

The flu shot falls into the category of: Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

I got a flu shot once, still got the flu. I'm not against getting the shot for any reason other than I have to schedule it and take a hour or so to get it done and I don't get sick very often so I gamble and roll the dice.

Any specific reason why? I am usually someone who likes as little medical intervention in my life as possible, but I have been a big fan of flu shots since the kids started school. I swear elementary school is a little petri dish of horrors.

Just don't believe in them. Everyone I know who gets one feels like crap for the next 3 days after. Of course if I was prone to get the flu I may reconsider but until then nope.

gotten it one time as a teenager (thanks mom) and the next few days were the worst sickness I've ever had....havent had one in 17 years now and never will again. Im not a believer in them

I got mine at lunch today. My experience has been pretty much the opposite of @jdtox's, I can't recall more than person here or there mentioning any side effects from the shot.

I also got my first of the two parts to the shingles vaccine.

I got the pneumonia shot about a month ago.

I got a flu shot once, still got the flu. I'm not against getting the shot for any reason other than I have to schedule it and take a hour or so to get it done and I don't get sick very often so I gamble and roll the dice.

As you Indicate, it may not prevent you from getting the flu. That's because the shot is, in essence, the best guess as to what strain of the influenza virus they believe will be prevalent in the flu season. It's an educated guess. If a different strain shows up that was predicted or expected, the shots will not be effective.

All that said, I get a shot every year.

Last edited:
Yep I get it. Better to have it than not (y)

Never had one, but after getting the flu in January of this year I may reconsider.

That was the sickest I've ever been. Spent 2 weeks in bed, lost 18 pounds and all but wanted to die. Then it took a good month to get my strength back. Just thinking about it makes me fearful of getting it again. I'm not one who gets sick that often, honestly I use 95% of my sick days for screw off days. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

As you Indicate, it may not prevent you from getting the flu. That's because the shot is, in essence, the best guess as to what strain of the influenza virus they believe will be prevalent in the flu season. It's an educated guess. If a different strain shows up that was not expected, the shots will not be effective.

All that said, I get a shot every year.

I totally understand that and I can see why many people get the shots. I can't remember how long it's been since I've had the flu that wasn't the Capt. Morgan flu. If I start to get it more often I'll try the shots to see if they help. My sister even says that they flu shots seem to help with her allergies. I'm not sure why that would be the case but if it works for her she should keep going with it.

Apparently flu season has come early this year. I usually wait until it starts to get cooler here in FL to get my flu shot, but this year I got hit hard and early. As I sit here on day 2 of Type B Influenza, it makes me regret not getting the flu shot on time.

Not only no, but hell no.

When the government, for profit entities and the insurance companies all agree you should do something and are willing to give it away for free, don't do it.

Yessir, been getting them for the last 10 years. Work covers it, so why not.

Not only no, but hell no.

When the government, for profit entities and the insurance companies all agree you should do something and are willing to give it away for free, don't do it.

I hear ya, but I think you would be able to say the same about the MMR or Polio vaccines. I don't have such a cynical view, but then again, getting the flu is not that big of a deal for people in generally good health, so I understand why some elect to forego it.

Absolutely.

My wife is a physician and I have three small kids, AND work in a high school with the most disgusting age group on the planet.

Easy decision.

I hear ya, but I think you would be able to say the same about the MMR or Polio vaccines. I don't have such a cynical view, but then again, getting the flu is not that big of a deal for people in generally good health, so I understand why some elect to forego it.

Doctors charge $25-50 for the Polio vaccine.

MMR is between $65-100.

Flu shots are free.

I'm not usually a tin foil hat guy, but with this particular topic, my hat is strapped on tightly.

I do now. I don’t usually get sick from them, and I’d rather have some muscle aches than the full blown flu.

For the conspiracy theorists, it’s cheaper for your insurance company to give you the flu shot, than to deal with medical bills from someone who gets really sick from the flu.

Doctors charge $25-50 for the Polio vaccine.

MMR is between $65-100.

Flu shots are free.

I'm not usually a tin foil hat guy, but with this particular topic, my hat is strapped on tightly.

people who get the flu each year is a huge cost to the healthcare system. and can be lethal for the immunocompromised. both pretty strong reasons to vaccinate a population.

Just because you personally will likely not die from it, you can transmit it to others that can and will.

I do now. I don’t usually get sick from them, and I’d rather have some muscle aches than the full blown flu.

For the conspiracy theorists, it’s cheaper for your insurance company to give you the flu shot, than to deal with medical bills from someone who gets really sick from the flu.
Its funny you mention that because about 5 years ago I got the flu pretty bad and it lead to a bit of pneumonia as a complication. I had insurance, but it did require quite a bit of medical intervention and cost. I think everyone involved would have preferred that I had gotten the shot that year.

Influenza can kill. Fortunately for most people, the seasonal outbreak of influenza usualy affects the old, the very young and those who have weakened immune systems. However, and history has shown, influenza can have serious effects on people with generally healthy immune systems. It depends on the strain.

I've had a flu shot for the past several years with no issues, so I will keep getting them. Better be safe than sorry, especially as I get older.

Got one yesterday.

Influenza can kill. Fortunately for most people, the seasonal outbreak of influenza usualy affects the old, the very young and those who have weakened immune systems. However, and history has shown, influenza can have serious effects on people with generally healthy immune systems. It depends on the strain.
That is very true, and I really didn't consider that in my comment. Heard immunity is very important, especially to those who are most vulnerable in the population.

Back