Food from the garden

FatChance

Reaction score
Handicap
Like most Saturday mornings, my wife went out yesterday looking for garage sales. She usually gets good stuff but she did great this time. She got a healthy potted jalapeno chili plant with about 15 chilis and a lot of buds starting to produce more peppers for $5. We transplanted it in the garden this morning and I picked a good looking ripe pepper and put it in my scrambled eggs for breakfast. She doesn't care too much for a little heat in her food, but I love it.
b6e283e474bd3a28bded8d6cc61b4c82.jpg

Last edited:
That would be amazing. If you like veggies few things compare to garden fresh.

Nice! Great score by the Mrs.

we dropped the ball on our tomatoes and some “sweetly drops” peppers this year (ok, we killed them) but I did plant radishes (for the 1st time) and they’re fantastic. MUCH more peppery than what I’m used to from the grocery store.

Yeah those look fantastic! I do a little garden in the backyard with tomato, jalapeno and bell pepper, arugula, green onion, basil, rosemary, sage and thyme. The herbs are particularly good because a little tiny thing of fresh herbs is like 2 or 3 bucks at the store, whereas I bought plants at the garden center for $2.50 each in April and now I have more than I know what to do with.

Nice find! Tomatoes are coming in with my pepper plants flowering well. Corn, melons, and herbs are enjoying the heat, too. image.jpg

Nice find!

You’re lucky to live in an area where those will grow. I tried in our greenhouse two seasons ago and they didn’t even get to flower stage… luckily tomatoes, cucumbers and zucchini grow well up here in greenhouses.

Just picked some of these cucamelons, plus a 4 for 1 carrot :ROFLMAO: along with some others.

20210725_140416.jpg
20210721_170016.jpg
20210715_164145.jpg

Got a liming tip from a guy who grows corn for sale on another webforum. I asked him his application rate, also wondering why they only sold 40lb bags at the garden centers. Turns out I needed almost the whole 40lbs! Everything is growing like Topsy this year. I've been growing a garden for a few years now, and it's gotten to the point where tomatoes have become a seasonal food for me. when my homegrowns are done, so am I! I can't force myself to buy a tomato at a grocery store! They taste like cardboard!

I can’t keep up with all the figs from my fig tree. Every day it seems like there are 50 more ready to be picked.

Went to get a haircut today, and I brought the hairdresser some goodies. I knew that she loves fried green tomatoes, and I have a ton hanging! Also brought her some cubanelle peppers. What I like to do with those is stuff them with Italian sausage, place in a 9"x13" glass baking dish, cover with tomato sauce or spaghetti sauce, and bake in a pre-heated 350* oven for about an hour. Pull it out, let it sit a few minutes, then sprinkle shredded mozzarella over the top, and put it back in the oven just long enough to melt it. Pull it out again, and let sit for enough time for it to be cool enough to eat. It's really good.

The best surprise might have been the bag of green beans I gave her. She announced how much she loves fresh green beans, which I never knew before. My green beans have done great this year, and I need to get another harvest in soon.

If you like tomatoes and don't seem to be able to grow them successfully, try Sungolds. Orange, grape-sized tomatoes that are very sweet, prolific until frost. I have one growing in a large pot on our deck, and I haven't managed to kill one in maybe ten years

Tomato’s / Sweet Pea / Rocket / Lettuce / Zucchini and Rhubarb in the beds at the moment

Lemon / Orange and Peach trees at back

Bay tree and Rosemary and other herbs also potted around

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 9
I'm letting the birds and squirrels have at it right now. I can't keep up, and every time I have to basically go into the middle of the tree to get all of them and then I am so itchy after.

Ugh, I couldn't do it, I took Arrow for a walk and walked past the tree and saw all the figs and had to go in there and get them. Some were too far gone, after just 2 days of not picking them, so the birds and squirrels can have those, but the rest I picked. This one singular tree is out of control with it's production. Not a bad thing, it's just that I am 1 person, I cannot keep up! And I'm so freaking itchy now from being inside the tree! You can see the little green ones, more are coming.

IMG_0670.png

IMG_0671.png IMG_0672.png

IMG_0673.png

Gadzooks.

Why you get itchy from the tree? Is it because there's fuzzy stuff on the underside of the leaves? Or little mites crawling on them or something? I ask because I don't know. Never seen a fig tree in person... only figs in jars and cookies.

And what's a cucamelon? Either those hands are massive or those melons are tiny

Why you get itchy from the tree? Is it because there's fuzzy stuff on the underside of the leaves? Or little mites crawling on them or something? I ask because I don't know. Never seen a fig tree in person... only figs in jars and cookies.

And what's a cucamelon? Either those hands are massive or those melons are tiny

No mites, it's the leaves of the tree, they are kind of fuzzy, but in a Brillo kind of way. I could be smart and wear long sleeves, but it's hot out, so I'm in shorts and a tank top and I'm literally in the center of the tree trying to get to all the figs, and the leaves are just brushing up all over me. It doesn't help that I'm 5' tall and the tree is over 6' tall so it's an adventure haha.

I've never grown cucacelon's but they are tiny. I meant to get some at the farmers market last week and totally forgot. I will see if they have them again this week, I really want to try them.

I'm letting the birds and squirrels have at it right now. I can't keep up, and every time I have to basically go into the middle of the tree to get all of them and then I am so itchy after.
Lol , it’s a Greta problem to have in some regards , could you give them away or maybe make conserves and jams etc ?

It's never ending.

Your experience gives me some interesting new context on the passages in the Gospels in which Jesus curses a fig tree because he was hungry and it had no fruit.

Sounds like a job for @JB ;)

Ugh, I couldn't do it, I took Arrow for a walk and walked past the tree and saw all the figs and had to go in there and get them. Some were too far gone, after just 2 days of not picking them, so the birds and squirrels can have those, but the rest I picked. This one singular tree is out of control with it's production. Not a bad thing, it's just that I am 1 person, I cannot keep up! And I'm so freaking itchy now from being inside the tree! You can see the little green ones, more are coming.

View attachment 9023052

View attachment 9023053 View attachment 9023054

View attachment 9023055
Living in somewhat of a harsh climate area, it always amazes me when people have trees like this just growing in their yards...

Living in somewhat of a harsh climate area, it always amazes me when people have trees like this just growing in their yards...

Still blows my mind that in the winter that tree looks completely dead, and gets cut way down, and then come spring it just comes back to life. Coming from Florida this was all so new to me. I was sure the tree was done, but it came back as healthy as ever.

Back