Food that is Always Better at Home vs. Restaurant or Vice Versa

Space Bandito

Baguette
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
2 Children
I feel like everyone has something that they would always prefer to cook at home, and everyone has something that they wouldn't dare cook at home as it is always better at a restaurant. So what is it for you?

Definitely burgers, but we rarely eat any beef at restaurants. Our Scottish Highlanders are so much better than anything in a restaurant and I know the name of my food. ;)

My goal at a restaurant is to try something I don't or can't make at home.

I think eggs are better made at home.

Pancakes are always better at a restaurant/diner

Gumbo at home, in fact most soups are better at home, with one exception. Clam Chowder is restaurant food for me.

Fried chicken is the only thing I consider better eating out than at home. Everything else is better cooked at home. My wife is an exceptional cook IMO and they are happy with the things I prepare.

Ribs are always better at home. I rarely ever order them in a restaurant because I know I'll be disappointed.

Chinese is better eaten out.

Always. (y)

Mexican food too.

As a rule Mexican is better eaten out but my homemade fajitas are as good as anything out there.

My daughter's Chicken Fettucini (better at home)
My wife's Chicken Fried steak (better at home)
Most Barbecue (better at a restaurant as I'm still smokerless)
My Chicken Cordon Bleu (better at home and my wife and daughter have now mastered it, too)
My daughter's Chicken Parm (better at home)
Steak (Always better at my house. Always)

I’ll give restaurants the nod on desserts. I’m picking home on all else.

Ribs are always better at home. I rarely ever order them in a restaurant because I know I'll be disappointed.
I totally agree. I have my approach to ribs at home that works and is repeatable.

I don’t know about food but movies are better at home

Steak, because I cook it exactly the way I like it. For some reason at a restaurant my request for "Medium Rare" gets lost between the waiter & cook.

I would say nothing beats a really good enjoyable meal at a restaurant. Most of the time home doesn’t have all the sauces, spices, combinations, or specific choices that a restaurant has. We sure don’t have pineapple infused drinks either.

We could make most things, but with the mess, time, cleanup, and having to purchase the different items It’s just better going to a restaurant.

i agree with a lot of the answers so far.

steaks, burgers, eggs, ribs, better at home

most fried foods, american chinese food, texmex, desserts, french fries, coleslaw, better at home

i’m sure there’s a lot more

I would say nothing beats a really good enjoyable meal at a restaurant. Most of the time home doesn’t have all the sauces, spices, combinations, or specific choices that a restaurant has. We sure don’t have pineapple infused drinks either.

We could make most things, but with the mess, time, cleanup, and having to purchase the different items It’s just better going to a restaurant.
We've found that when cooking for two, as we do, it's often more expensive to cook restaurant-style meals at home than it is to just go buy them at the restaurant. Consumers don't get the bulk pricing deals on foodstuffs that restaurants do.

Roasted potatoes for a traditional British Sunday lunch - always better at home.

Better at restaurants:
Mexican

Better at home:
All baked goods -cookies, cake, cheesecake
Pizza

Back