Smithfaced

Reaction score
Handicap
There has been a lot of talk lately about growing the game. I was out on my home course today and noticed two blue flags on each hole that I had never noticed before. There are 3 nines on the course and only one of them has the blue flags. The flags were covering large holes (2 foot diameter maybe). I wandered into the pro shop after the round because I just had to know what was going on. They are now offering Foot Golf...Players start from the regular tee box and the goal is to kick a soccer ball into the hole. There are two foot golf holes on each regular golf hole. Players will be expected to abide by the normal dress code at the course and will be expected to keep up with pace of play. The course is in a small college town and they think that foot golf will grow their regular golf business. Foot golf tee times will mixed in with regular golf tee times as well. Is this a huge blunder? I don't really get it myself, what say you?

What? So what happens when your golf ball lands in one of those holes on the green?

There has been a lot of talk lately about growing the game. I was out on my home course today and noticed two blue flags on each hole that I had never noticed before. There are 3 nines on the course and only one of them has the blue flags. The flags were covering large holes (2 foot diameter maybe). I wandered into the pro shop after the round because I just had to know what was going on. They are now offering Foot Golf...Players start from the regular tee box and the goal is to kick a soccer ball into the hole. There are two foot golf holes on each regular golf hole. Players will be expected to abide by the normal dress code at the course and will be expected to keep up with pace of play. The course is in a small college town and they think that foot golf will grow their regular golf business. Foot golf tee times will mixed in with regular golf tee times as well. Is this a huge blunder? I don't really get it myself, what say you?

Since I don't enjoy soccer, I have no interest. I'm just confused on why they would do it on a golf course.

So you have a group of 4 and 2 are playing foot golf? What happens if you hit a golf ball in a foot golf hole? What if it's in your putting line?

Maybe I misread it but I'm confused.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Yep I agree with the others, I think it's a fun idea as long they create courses specifically for it. If they start trying to incorporate this into existing golf courses I don't think that will do any good in growing the game yet rather upsetting many people that will eventually stop playing at those courses.

Yep I agree with the others, I think it's a fun idea as long they create courses specifically for it. If they start trying to incorporate this into existing golf courses I don't think that will do any good in growing the game yet rather upsetting many people that will eventually stop playing at those courses.

I agree with Smalls, it could be kind of fun to play but needs it's own course.

Agreed.
Sort of like frisbee golf. It's not like they would need manicured tee boxes/fairways/greens etc.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Foot golf holes aren't near the regular greens. The foot golf holes are covered so a regular golf ball could not go into them. On your "Approach" your are supposed to take the cover off of the hole but that means you can't get a hole in one from the tee box I guess. Also, I want to reiterate that this is being done on a regular golf course not a separate foot golf course. The hope is that foot golf players will want to come play regular golf thus growing the game and the revenue for the course. I just don't see it.

Foot golf holes aren't near the regular greens. The foot golf holes are covered so a regular golf ball could not go into them. On your "Approach" your are supposed to take the cover off of the hole but that means you can't get a hole in one from the tee box I guess. Also, I want to reiterate that this is being done on a regular golf course not a separate foot golf course. The hope is that foot golf players will want to come play regular golf thus growing the game and the revenue for the course. I just don't see it.

Yeah I don't see it working out like that either. Personally I would not go to a course where there were basically a bunch of people playing soccer around me. Will be interesting to see if this gains any traction though.

I played Disc golf a ton in College, but those were set up on specific courses, not Golf courses. I dont like the intermingling here.

Not sure about this at all..I think it could have its place on its own course, but not on a real golf course

Another vote here for the foot golf players to either have their own "couses" or only let them play on courses that have down days, I am not too keen on the intermingling idea either.

Since the holes aren't on the greens and probably off somewhere where they aren't too intrusive, I don't see an issue. I think it's a good idea. Pace of play certainly won't suffer.

Heck courses in Scotland are public parks. People are walking all along the outsides.

Good for the course for thinking forward and trying to get more people on the course in an ethical way.

TTing

This also enables parents to bring their children out and give them something a little less frustrating to try all while being in the golf atmosphere.

TTing

This also enables parents to bring their children out and give them something a little less frustrating to try all while being in the golf atmosphere.

TTing

A bunch of little kids running around a golf course kicking soccer balls = a lot of kids at risk of being struck by golf balls.

Its not just kids running around. Theyre playing golf. Whether they kick it or swing it, theyre expected to act like golfers.
A bunch of little kids running around a golf course kicking soccer balls = a lot of kids at risk of being struck by golf balls.

I dont know why people think itd be that bad... Minus him going for the golf flag of course.

[video=youtube;hSXR-Zcxa9E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSXR-Zcxa9E[/video]

I agree with all other that regular golf and foot golf should not be mixed on the same course and especially not being play at the same time as real golf.

This was at Keith Hills? Also you played today? Talk about a golf warrior it was super cold today.

One of the munis here has a foot golf course setup on it's front 9. 1 foot golf hole for every par 3, 2 for par 4 and 3 for par 5s. Golfers and foot golfers don't mix foursomes, but can tee off/kick off one after the other.

It takes a lot less time to play one hole of foot golf, and that's the reasoning for multiple holes per actual golf hole. I've never played, nor have I seen anyone play, but the marketing guy for the municipal courses here told me several hundred rounds of foot golf were played last year.

What's more crazy is that this course will be hosting some national foot golf tournament in march I think.

The actual foot golf holes are off the sides of fairways and such, and for the majority of play, don't interfere with any golf shots.

One of the munis here has a foot golf course setup on it's front 9. 1 foot golf hole for every par 3, 2 for par 4 and 3 for par 5s. Golfers and foot golfers don't mix foursomes, but can tee off/kick off one after the other.

It takes a lot less time to play one hole of foot golf, and that's the reasoning for multiple holes per actual golf hole. I've never played, nor have I seen anyone play, but the marketing guy for the municipal courses here told me several hundred rounds of foot golf were played last year.

What's more crazy is that this course will be hosting some national foot golf tournament in march I think.

The actual foot golf holes are off the sides of fairways and such, and for the majority of play, don't interfere with any golf shots.
Seems like foot golf would work a lot better on a Disc Golf track.

Seems like foot golf would work a lot better on a Disc Golf track.

The only reason this course is doing it is to increase traffic and possibly add future golfers. If the course filled the majority of its tee sheet everyday, foot golf would've never made it here.

The he course isn't struggling to make money either, just trying to bring in additional revenue.

I'm not defending foot golf, I also don't think it belongs on a golf course, but understand the reasoning.

This was at Keith Hills? Also you played today? Talk about a golf warrior it was super cold today.

Yes dude at KH on the White course. The holes are mostly off to the sides of the fairways but still in play for a lot of shots. As far as the cold, no rest for the MC. I need every day of practice I can get.

Back