For the "bigger" guys...How much of a disadvantage do we have?

Newman21

Reaction score
Handicap
So, I have struggled with my weight for many years and just haven't been able to stick to a diet plan. I wanted to see what you all thought about just how much of a disadvantage we (bigger, heavier) guys are at when playing the game of golf. There aren't a ton of pro's that are truly (what I consider) really overweight. Yes, some have a belly but not obese or anything. Also, I don't think there is a huge gathering of YouTubers either showing their skills in golf with instruction, technique, etc.

Could we play way better if we (heavier guys) were to lose some weight? I am thinking so just due to stamina, aching joints, better stretch, possibly faster, etc.

What have you all found to be the best way to lose the weight? And after you lost that weight, did your game become considerably better?

Moved to the golf section.

I think we are. I’m still pretty big but I’ve dropped maybe 50 pounds over the past couple years. Best thing for me has been walking when I play and eating at home.
I found the biggest differences are as you mentioned, far less tired when I reach 18, and have gained a lot of flexibility (speed) on my shots.

goal for me is another 80 pounds so long road ahead but with the right support we can all get there.

I was never especially big, but I did carry a bit extra around the midsection due to the beers and burgers and Netflix! I've dropped 20 pounds in the last 6 months or so, and before we shut down found that I was swinging more freely, quicker and certainly I was a lot less out of breath after walking 18. Have 10 more to go and then the diet can be on hold for a while!

Somethings to think about:

If you have more weight you may be able to generate more ground force for a more powerful swing. Bryson has been gaining weight to hit the ball harder.

However, having more weight may cause an issue with hip rotation and flexibility. Scott Stallings when he came out on tour was about 80ish pounds heavier than where he is now. Even though he weighs less, he is able to rotate better and it has significantly improved his technique.

I would recommend anyone to lose weight for health reasons if they are overweight. If getting better at golf is something that can help give you motivation to lose the weight, use that. Golf thankfully is a sport that you dont have to be in the best shape in order to play well, but being in better shape helps with several aspects of swinging the golf club.

My coworker has put on some weight. He's noticed a change in his game because of it. His drives aren't going as far. He knows that is a reason for it but says he likes to eat.:)

Somethings to think about:

If you have more weight you may be able to generate more ground force for a more powerful swing. Bryson has been gaining weight to hit the ball harder.

However, having more weight may cause an issue with hip rotation and flexibility. Scott Stallings when he came out on tour was about 80ish pounds heavier than where he is now. Even though he weighs less, he is able to rotate better and it has significantly improved his technique.

I would recommend anyone to lose weight for health reasons if they are overweight. If getting better at golf is something that can help give you motivation to lose the weight, use that. Golf thankfully is a sport that you dont have to be in the best shape in order to play well, but being in better shape helps with several aspects of swinging the golf club.
Fantastic example that the methods a person gains weight is important. If a person gained 20-50lbs eating Doritos, drinking Mountain Dew and trying to find the end of Netflix, yeah, that's probably bad. If a person gained those lbs by eating lean meats and whole foods while also strength training, that added weight is probably not a bad thing.

I am not sold that body weight in and of itself is bad. I am convinced that inactivity is bad.

I'm unqualified to have an opinion.

I know some big dudes who smash the ever loving piss out of the ball and can run around a paintball field all day long, but I also know some big dudes who can barely wash their car without needing a rest.

I imagine being big and active shouldn't affect your golf game too much. Many ways to hit the ball.

I'm unqualified to have an opinion.

I know some big dudes who smash the ever loving piss out of the ball and can run around a paintball field all day long, but I also know some big dudes who can barely wash their car without needing a rest.

I imagine being big and active shouldn't affect your golf game too much. Many ways to hit the ball.
"smash the ever loving piss out of the ball" is my new favourite phrase :ROFLMAO:

Fantastic example that the methods a person gains weight is important. If a person gained 20-50lbs eating Doritos, drinking Mountain Dew and trying to find the end of Netflix, yeah, that's probably bad. If a person gained those lbs by eating lean meats and whole foods while also strength training, that added weight is probably not a bad thing.

I am not sold that body weight in and of itself is bad. I am convinced that inactivity is bad.
Realistically though, a guy who can put on 20-50 pounds of muscle and not gain appreciable amounts of fat is either a genetic freak or, shall we say, pharmacologically assisted.

I can't really speak to the OP but there are some, Kiradech Aphibarnrat is a hell of an Asian tour player and he isn't small.

I think that a lot of good points were made. I think its time to knock off this Covid - 19 ... Runs are a must now.

I think that a lot of good points were made. I think its time to knock off this Covid - 19 ... Runs are a must now.
Or how about a bike ride or a walk for us bigger guys...? lol
Gotta start somewhere!

I put on 25lbs the two months after my surgery...one of my biggest adjustments is the discomfort of that gain. lost 7 so far but I feel awful out there right now.

Or how about a bike ride or a walk for us bigger guys...? lol
Gotta start somewhere!

Its crazy how quick you can get a "desire" "addiction" for running. I trained for a few runs last year - weight falls off quickly and its fun to listen to music.

I was playing my best golf in 05-06. But from then to the end of 2009, between some injuries and some other issues, I had gained about about 90 pounds and my game had gone to pot. I had played poorly and didn't care about trying to get better or playing. Since then, I've lost 130 pounds. My handicap isn't what it was in 2006 and I've lost 30 yards or so with driver. Through technology and stronger lofts, I'm as long if not a little longer now from 6 iron down. After a couple of knee surgeries, and cervical and lumbar fusions, the only pain I really deal with now on a regular basis is some arthritis in my hands. There are some episodic zingers from the cervical fusion at the end of 2019. I don't often play or practice in back to back days.

The extra weight I carried for those several years really contributed to the breakdown of my body. Even with the pain prior to my surgeries, I felt a hundred times better having lost a lot of weight. The weight will breakdown your joints and will likely harm your heart, lungs, kidneys and/or other systems. Do all you can to lose it.

And exercise as you can. If you don't use it, you'll lose it.

Realistically though, a guy who can put on 20-50 pounds of muscle and not gain appreciable amounts of fat is either a genetic freak or, shall we say, pharmacologically assisted.
Sure, there will be some fat gain. It is IMPOSSIBLE to gain weight and have it be only muscle. Likewise, it is IMPOSSIBLE to lose weight and have it be only fat.

There are a lot of generalizations at play here and that can be less than helpful because of the individualized nature of this. I am more addressing the overarching notion that all weight gain is the same. It's not. Not all weight gain will hurt a golf swing. A major factor to consider is how the weight is gained.

It definitely can hurt your game. It certainly impacts how you feel by the end of the round. However it can change your swing. Years ago Craig Stadler lost weight and couldn't get comfortable with his swing and then gained the weight back.

That said lighter is generally better for your overall health. I don't think anyone here makes their living on how well they play golf. For your overall health thinner is better.

Regarding diet you probably need to focus on finding something that changes your lifestyle and not think about it as a diet. For me I have been successful cutting way back on processed starches. I find I can eat pretty much as much as I want as long as I don't eat bread, pasta and junk food regularly. Trying to make sure I don't have a bunch of junk food in the house. I am about 40 pounds lighter than I was at my peak. I feel better, my blood pressure is lower and I am off cholesterol medicine. I don't hit the ball as far as I used to but that is for another set of health reasons.

That said lighter is generally better for your overall health. I don't think anyone here makes their living on how well they play golf. For your overall health thinner is better.
I do not agree that thinner is better. Lower body fat, sure I can see that, but I don't subscribe to the notion that thinner is always better.

I hear all the arguments and understand why gaining weight will hurt a golfers game. I have seen the opposite in some players. They seem to hit the ball a bit further and play stronger with a little extra weight. That could be due to losing some muscle while on a diet or exercise program losing weight or something else in the change of swing because of body change. But, I have seen a few friends while losing weight have their game go the wrong way.

I do not agree that thinner is better. Lower body fat, sure I can see that, but I don't subscribe to the notion that thinner is always better.

I agree with you. I was listening in on a conference call while I typed this. I do believe that 280 pounds of muscle is not the healthiest way to be walking around either. In general leaner and fit is better. Thin and scrawny isn’t necessarily healthy either.

I am not a thin person never have been. I have over the last 10 years or so tried to be more fit though.

I've played golf at both ends of the spectrum and I think I can generally say I could play better when I'm smaller. I dropped 150lbs (from 350-198lbs) between 25-28years old. My flexibility was much better and had I been working on my game at that time I think I would have made much bigger strides than I have since letting genetics take me back the other way. I've never been super flexible but added weight can impact arm position, grip, the fluidity of your swing and endurance for sure. That said there are varying degrees of overweight and some will have more of an impact than others.

Just my $0.02.

Back