For those of you that have had putter fittings.

Luchnia

You will never conquer golf.
Reaction score
Handicap
For those of you that have had putter fittings, did your putter require a lot of work (bending etc.), or did you find you had to get a different putter?

Both times I’ve done it at Club Champion it was just small adjustments to loft/lie to fine tune.

Small adjustments for me. I kind of knew through trial and error what I needed though, so I had a pretty solid fitting putter/s.

Mine was just a small lie adjustment to my Odyssey 7

Stock setup was just fine.

that i'm aware, the only adjustment was length. went down to 33.5" because that's what I was gaming before and @Luke WilliamsCG liked me in that same length for the marxman putTTer.

my spec sheet says standard lie and does not make a note about loft adjustment (so assuming no adjustment)

My loft was changed on my current blade putter, but according to SAM data I am fit to a mallet shape with toe hang.

I've never taken the plunge to be fit by someone else. My kid did a putter fitting with CC last year and it worked out well. He was gaming the Ping Sigma2 Wolverine at the time and they bent it to his spec (0° loft and I think a bit flat). Then, when we found him a putter online that match the one they fit him for (SL Doublewide), they bent it to his spec and bent the Ping back to stock so I could sell it.

I'll likely go to CC for a full bag fitting next December when they do their 1/2 off sale.

Just to go to a shorter putter, due to my arm length. I always thought since I was taller I might need a taller putter, but the arms actually made me need a much shorter one. Last year went from 35 to 34 and had my best putting year ever, and putting has always been the strongest part of my game.

Last year when I did the putter fitting, it involved first trying to make some putts from 10'.

Then we put an aiming device on my existing putter to see where I was aiming and how far off I was. I was aiming to the left on most occasions. So, we worked on where to place the ball and stance to properly aim.

From that position, we checked the length, toe hang, and degree.

I am 33" length, 30 degree toe hang, and 1 degree flat.

My position for the ball is 2.5 heads out from my left foot and 1.5 heads up from middle for ball position.

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/proxy.php?image=https%3A%2F%2Fuploads.tapatalk-cdn.com%2F20190518%2F7f9ff3cceb8bf3dd0a2a4a7eed02ae96.gif&hash=a78c28dc71c5d255d208551807ddede6

For those of you that have had putter fittings, did your putter require a lot of work (bending etc.), or did you find you had to get a different putter?

depends on the kind of putter fitting you go through. When I did mine I found out the type of putter I needed to be using and they also adjusted my current putter (loft and lie) to fit my stroke. It didn’t require much work

Have done 3 putter fittings. First was a DRAMATIC change. Went several inches shorter which was the big change. Next one was on Quintec and we went stronger lofted, different hosel and head shape.

Most recent one we didn't change a lot, little flat I think was the recommendation.

I had the loft and lie adjusted. Putter type was already the best for for me. No new putter needed.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mine didnt involve any adjustments, at least that I remember. It turned out much of what I liked was best for me.

Didn't change much on my putter from my fitting back in December except the lie and loft which only required slight adjustments.

Got to hand it to club champion again, I was ready for a new putter as mine is an Odyssey from 1988, but he put the radar thing on my shaft and watched my stroke, loved the way I swung the club but found I needed 1.5 degrees of loft to leave me with 2 degrees (club was made with 2 degrees, but my swing countered that by 1.5, so now have 3.5). It made a huge difference in ball movement off the head and I was set. Saved 3-400 dollars---for now ;)

I haven't done a full putter fitting, but the fitter from Ping did a quick assessment on me while we were touring their HQ at the THP/BG Championship. It was eye opening to find out that despite my ever long love of face balanced mallets, I needed to be playing with something that had some significant toe hang to optimize my game. Have since changed over to a flow neck blade and am loving the results!

I’ve had the same putter on and off about 15 years. I got fit at true spec and they said it was perfect make no changes use that one only.
Then I went to bettinardi and they had way more tech. They bent lie 2 degrees flat based on impact because at address I was zero degrees up or down perfectly flat but at impact it was toe up 2 degrees. So bending it flat 2 degrees would mean at impact the head is perfectly level thru the ball. Putting improved immediately and no charge for any of the work. Plus a few goodies for just coming by. The fitting was free during the month of December.
Btw my putter is a Mizuno bc1 made by bettinardi. I’m unsure if they’d adjust a Taylormade or something else. Just my thoughts.
A really high quality fitting like the one at bettinardi was so beneficial but the one at true spec (a high end fitter) used the gc quad and the results would only be good for those with a putter that is absolutely horrible for them. Bettinardi addressed stroke type and stuff. True spec did not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just did a SAM putter fitting today. I got alot more out of the fitting session than just putter adjustments. I got to understand what is happening in my putting stroke and how I manipulate the stroke etc.. What that said my current putter actually was adjusted to -1deg of loft and +1deg of lie angle. Length stayed the same.

I’ve had the same putter on and off about 15 years. I got fit at true spec and they said it was perfect make no changes use that one only.
Then I went to bettinardi and they had way more tech. They bent lie 2 degrees flat based on impact because at address I was zero degrees up or down perfectly flat but at impact it was toe up 2 degrees. So bending it flat 2 degrees would mean at impact the head is perfectly level thru the ball. Putting improved immediately and no charge for any of the work. Plus a few goodies for just coming by. The fitting was free during the month of December.
Btw my putter is a Mizuno bc1 made by bettinardi. I’m unsure if they’d adjust a Taylormade or something else. Just my thoughts.
A really high quality fitting like the one at bettinardi was so beneficial but the one at true spec (a high end fitter) used the gc quad and the results would only be good for those with a putter that is absolutely horrible for them. Bettinardi addressed stroke type and stuff. True spec did not.

I must admit when I was trying out all the putters at C.C., the Bettinardi was my favorite; may be my fallback if more practice doesn't get me where I want with my old putter

Back