For those that work in IT, what do you do?

camden_kid

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I noticed in the Callaway job post that a few THPers work in IT.

If you work (or did work) in IT what do you do?

Myself, I'm a software engineer building web apps doing mostly front-end work (React, TypeScript, HTML, CSS, etc). I'm also doing a bit of back-end work too so getting back into being a full-stack developer. I like both but prefer the UI side.

Infrastructure administrator. I manage backups, data storage and our phone system for 150+ offices across the US. I'm currently in the midst of a huge project to migrate our Skype for Business on-prem to Teams. I am crazy busy right now.

Myself, I'm a software engineer building web apps doing mostly front-end work (React, TypeScript, HTML, CSS, etc). I'm also doing a bit of back-end work too so getting back into being a full-stack developer. I like both but prefer the UI side.

Same. Been building web apps professionally for 23 years. Started as full stack, switched to a front end specialty with the rise of JavaScript frameworks around 10 years ago. React is my framework of choice these days.

I am an infosec engineer at a large law firm. We're generalists here, so that keeps us all kinds of busy. My main focuses recently are vulnerability management and endpoint detection.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I am more on the hardware side. Desktop/laptop/server configuration, installation and support.
Not really something that I could do remotely for Callaway and there's no way I would consider moving to California.

When I worked at a help desk for a company I mostly continually banged my head on my desk saying "make it stop" over and over. In between setting up new machines for users, sending updates via PDQ, and unlocking users stuck in AS/400 I also got quite good at saying "did you try turning off and back on?"

I then moved on to a database admin position managing Solidworks PDM for the company. Mainly setting up new users, adding/removing user permissions, and creating workflows. Much better.

I manage a team of Infrastructure solution architects designing everything from network and storage to cloud and security configurations and everything in between.

I started in networks before the Internet and have done project management, app development and architecture in the middle. Currently CIO of a small business unit.

I lived in a hybrid world. I was a project manager that converted/integrated legacy financial and asset systems into new technology. Stressful but fun job, always learning something new. I think this explains my post work fascination with golf.

For those that know of them, STIGs. I don't apply them. My team checks for compliance for them. On top of that, RMF. At least the STIG portion. There's a lot more to it.

Started out in hardware design and development, back in the days of TTL logic. Stayed with that, through 8-bit CPUs, until about the advent of 32-bit CPUs and LSI. Started software development while still doing hardware development, then moved to entirely software development. Did everything from device drivers, to embedded systems, to UIs. Moved from that into systems and network administration, which is what I did for the last twenty-five years of my career. Managed everything from desktops (when I had no choice), to servers, to database admin, to LAN/WLAN/WAN infrastructure, to Internet connectivity. Also TelCom admin, from provisioning desktop telephone sets, to managing phone switches, to administering wireless contracts.

Full stack developer... React, Typescript, some Kotlin I'm learning now, Spring Boot primarily for the service layer and deployments to EKS or EC2 in AWS right now primarily. We have an internal PAAS solution that's a modified stack from Pivotal.

Been in the industry a bit over 20 years now; it's bizzare how it's changed from HTML to the early days of JSP pages, now to JavaScript flavors of the month :ROFLMAO:

I manage a team of cyber security analysts I think is the best way of describing my job.

I manage a team of cyber security analysts I think is the best way of describing my job.

I read through this because I’m still waiting on the damn range....

Anyways, you are the first one that I have a general idea of what you do, 🤣

I am the IT department for a six building campus. I do everything from CIO to the guy under the desk. Set policies and procedures, product selection and deployment, 7x24 network support and maintenance, help desk, onboarding and offboarding of staff, site and desktop backups, network & device security, device management, built and maintain 3 active websites, you name it. As we all know, it's impossible for one person to have all the expertise and experience required to do it all. So, I set up a technical advisory committee, have a few trusted partners, including a few VARs and IT consultant companies I call on from time to time, plus the usual engagement with IT forums.

Oh, last year I moved the site's obsolete Nortel Network PBX phone system to a VoIP-based communications system. So, I do everything related to communication systems too.

Last edited:
I am a SAP functional analyst in the Sales and Distribution module for a chemical company. At the moment, I am supporting one part of the business in one older SAP instance and the rest of the business in a new S/4 SAP implementations have been conducting over the past few years. The joys of a global acquisition.

I read through this because I’m still waiting on the damn range....

Anyways, you are the first one that I have a general idea of what you do, 🤣
Doubt it. Mine is an overly broad statement that could mean a lot of things.

Let's just say I sit in a lot of meetings and deal with a lot of policy/politics

Let's just say I sit in a lot of meetings and deal with a lot of policy/politics

Now I'm IT but I can relate to this more then any post thus far;) I told my son that IT people were considered essential workers. He looked at me and said but you are really not IT. You spend all your time in meetings, talking policy/legal stuff and politics. My college IT Sophomore then pondered- 'what does that have to do with IT'

I'm thinking you shall see young one

I’m head of it for a small group of companies in UK, France, Germany and Switzerland.
Lots of policies and strategy, and still too much for my liking sleeves-up hands-on too.

Currently trying to align 5 companies telephony to one Cisco cloud solution. Language barriers are interesting, especially when it comes to terms you need to be quite specific..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I worked at a help desk for a company I mostly continually banged my head on my desk saying "make it stop" over and over. In between setting up new machines for users, sending updates via PDQ, and unlocking users stuck in AS/400 I also got quite good at saying "did you try turning off and back on?"

I then moved on to a database admin position managing Solidworks PDM for the company. Mainly setting up new users, adding/removing user permissions, and creating workflows. Much better.

nothing is more frustrating than IT guys asking people if they’ve tried restarting their computer and having no other answers. Happens at every help desk. Then they spend hours or days “researching” while I’ve fixed the problem through Google searching.

absolutely nothing I see at work is more difficult then trying to diagnois my wife IT challenges at home. I always start with reboot but it rarely works

i don't believe anyone in this thread - no one has mentioned telling people to turn it off and then back on again.
I mentioned it in post #6 :)

Infrastructure administrator. I manage backups, data storage and our phone system for 150+ offices across the US. I'm currently in the midst of a huge project to migrate our Skype for Business on-prem to Teams. I am crazy busy right now.
Was a one year disaster for us.... Especially for meetings with vendors and off shore resources. Microsoft support really sucked.

Was a one year disaster for us.... Especially for meetings with vendors and off shore resources. Microsoft support really sucked.
It all depends on the size of the organization and how much you spend on your license. We have a team engineers helping us on our teams project

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Back