For those who've been hit by a ball ... lets have your story

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
... Going into my 5th year of playing (late bloomer) ... finally got hit. I was waiting to hit an approach shot and a ball came sailing over a small hill which separated the two fairways - guys never saw us & we wouldn't have even heard it if they yelled FORE due to the topography. Fortunately, it hit me in the lazer which I always carry on my belt. No worries ... but always think what could happen if a person were to get hit in the mouth or eye - not good.

Go ...

I've never been hit but it's been super close a couple of times. The sad part is most times it's some jack wagon who is impatient and the course is backed up.

Last edited:
Green and tee box about 75 yards apart or so. Green was ahead of tee box and to the right. We had just hit our approaches into said green. Drive cart up, get out, and go to grab my wedge for my pitch (because of course I didn't hit GIR, but I digress). I hear the ting of a driver, then an immediate hiss, then sharp pain. Ball came straight push right off the guys driver into my right bicep high (2" higher and I'd need new teeth). We were in plain view, completely unobstructed from tee box. No fore, no "hey jackass look out!", no nothing. I was so mad I couldn't see straight. Once I stood up, from being doubled over in pain, I gathered myself and walked to green. When the said golfer came over to find his shot I pointed it out to him. I informed him that the next time he hits into someone he needs to yell fore, or otherwise inform them. He told me "to go f*** myself".. It took everything I had not to bend my putter over his cranium.

I've been hit a few times, twice in one round lol playing celebration with wake. Thank God 5 hey weren't full velocity.

Last edited:
Green and tee box about 75 yards apart or so. Green was ahead of tee box and to the right. We had just hit our approaches into said green. Drive cart up, get out, and go to grab my wedge for my pitch (because of course I didn't hit GIR, but I digress). I hear the ting of a driver, then an immediate hiss, then sharp pain. Ball came straight push right off the guys driver into my right bicep high (2" higher and I'd need new teeth). We were in plain view, completely unobstructed from tee box. No fore, no "hey jackass look out!", no nothing. I was so mad I couldn't see straight. Once I stood up, from being doubled over in pain, I gathered myself and walked to green. When the said golfer came over to find his shot I pointed it out to him. I informed him that the next time he hits into someone he needs to yell fore, or otherwise inform them. He told me "to go f*** myself".. It took everything I had not to bend my putter over his cranium.

I have never seen red (as you did) at any time in my life as when people don't yell fore. My wife came within inches of being hit in the face when we were walking off a green on a long par 3. The jackwagons couldn't wait a few seconds for us to clear the green ... AND ... nobody yelled fore. The ridiculousness of being that impatient, then not yelling fore, and potentially severely hurting my wife put me over the edge. I walked about 3/4 back to the tee box - yelling at those guys at the top of my lungs along the way, then they drove off. I'm not usually a hot head, but if they gave me the answer that guy gave you, it would have gone bad & I'm not sure I'd be writing this right now ...

I have never seen red (as you did) at any time in my life as when people don't yell fore. My wife came within inches of being hit in the face when we were walking off a green on a long par 3. The jackwagons couldn't wait a few seconds for us to clear the green ... AND ... nobody yelled fore. The ridiculousness of being that impatient & then not yelling fore put me over the edge. I walked about 3/4 back to the tee box - yelling at those guys at the top of my lungs along the way, then they drove off. I'm not usually a hot head, but if they gave me the answer that guy gave you, it would have gone bad & I'm not sure I'd be writing this right now ...

They mess with the wife, all bets are off. If I was in that position they would have been fortunate they left. Don't think I could handle that.

I was getting a drink at water fountain and when I looked up I took a ball right in the middle of the chest. No FORE yelled. Hurt like a b!tch.

I was ready to go fight somebody until I saw who hit me. Two gangster looking fellas, one of whom was probably 6'5". On a positive note, they each were accompanied by a nice looking young lady with short shorts on. I got over it pretty quick.

I was approaching a green in my cart with a tee box behind the green on the left. The guys on the tee box were probably 25 yards from me. As I grabbed my putter out of my bag I was watching them tee off. The first guy hooked one right at me, I mad an aversive move but the ball hit me right on the toe of my golf shoes. It hit me right where all the rubber is so it actually didn't hurt at all, I was just kind of shocked. The guy who hit it was very apologetic and felt bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never been hit, but last round a ball hit the cart path near me and sailed right over my head. It was a kid and his dad behind us walking, they probably thought we weren't reachable and if it hadn't caught such a bounce off the path we wouldn't have been. I didn't mind though, that morning I had sent a drive off a tee box straight at a guy's cart way left of me. Total hosel rocket. I yelled as loud as I could, not that it would have helped. The guy was just getting out of the cart and I hit the front edge of said cart. I felt horrible and apologized profusely. He said it was no big deal and we let it go. I guess having one shot at me that afternoon was just bad shot karma.

I was sitting myself up over the ball on #1 fairway of local nine hole course, with fairways to left and right. I am struck in my left arm by a line drive hit with driver off a tee box in the left fairway and fell to the ground. It was witness by four other players and the guy never even warned me that it was coming. After an exchange of words the guy took his clubs to his car and left, I had a huge bruise and imprint for 4 weeks. I have only played there twice since that day and very careful when I do.

I was getting a drink at water fountain and when I looked up I took a ball right in the middle of the chest. No FORE yelled. Hurt like a b!tch.

I was ready to go fight somebody until I saw who hit me. Two gangster looking fellas, one of whom was probably 6'5". On a positive note, they each were accompanied by a nice looking young lady with short shorts on. I got over it pretty quick.

chicken. :angel:

Never been hit. I've had some near misses at a few THP events. No harm though. Pretty certain nothing intentional.

I have never been hit but a friend of mine was in a bunker and another friend was standing in a straightline from him to his right. my buddy hit a shank and caught the other one in the calf. left a nice bruise.

i no longer in a place that a bad bunker shot can hit me.

They mess with the wife, all bets are off. If I was in that position they would have been fortunate they left. Don't think I could handle that.
A few years back, my wife and I were playing at the course we were members at. The course manager hit into us all round. On the 9th, one tee shot actually hit our cart. In plain view of the tee box, I chipped his drive into the driving range. We saw them in the clubhouse. Words were exchanged. Names were called. Membership to the course was cancelled that day.

A few years back, my wife and I were playing at the course we were members at. The course manager hit into us all round. On the 9th, one tee shot actually hit our cart. In plain view of the tee box, I chipped his drive into the driving range. We saw them in the clubhouse. Words were exchanged. Names were called. Membership to the course was cancelled that day.

Good on you sir. For the life of me, I don't understand why people can't just sit and enjoy the game (waiting or not) and not be so damn impatient. I mean, isn't that why we're out there in the first place.

I've never been hit. But I was extremely close to being drilled by a skulled 7i by a THPer who will remain nameless

I was playing a couple years ago with my wife. She had her second shot from the fairway, and I was about 10-15 yards off to the left hand side. Well, she pulled her shot, which was probably the most flush 5 iron I've ever seen her hit, and it caught me in the thigh. Needless to say, I had a great bruise.

I had real close call this past season when my cousin and I were driving up to the green. The tee box for the next hole was up ahead to the left (down and back holes). The kid on the tee box pulled his drive and I just happened to look to the left and saw this ball coming straight at us. I swerved out onto the fairway and it nearly missed coming right through the cart (windshield was down). The kid apologized and we were able to laugh about it later when we caught up with them in the clubhouse.

I just hit a good drive over the trees on a dog leg left, and was waiting patiently for the green to clear up in the midle of the fairway, about 250 yards from the tee. good thing I still had my carry bag on my back becase a ball hit the bag.

I was playing a pick up that day with 3 strangers, and they were all ready to take the arms and murder someone... I still can't beleive I was the one that calmed them down. I tee'd the ball that hit me, and proceeded to pitch mine 10 feet from the cup, and 3 putt for bogey

Standing on my tee box waiting to hit when all the sudden a ball hits the trees behind me. Scared the poop out of me but no big deal.

As I'm getting ready to tee off I hear another shot and look over to the guys hitting them. The one guy can clearly see me but doesn't say a thing. I had this thought I needed to move so I took one step left and wham! Ball landed right on top of my right foot. Hurt like a b!tch. I was so mad I hit his ball 50 yards in front of me.

They came driving up and asked if we'd seen a ball. I asked them which one? The one that almost hit me or the one that did? Guy got super mad at me for even asking and goes on to explain he couldn't see me. I explained his buddy was looking right at me the whole time. So I told him his ball is about 50 yards in front of us and I would try not to hit them while teeing off. He started talking under his breath and called me a few choice words before leaving. Never even told me sorry

I have been hit more times than I can count! I know last year I was hit 6 times and the year before that 3 times. Only two of them hurt as the others were off of the bounce. One was a blind shot on a par 5 while I was mowing rough and it hit me in the shoulder blade. The other was while I was mowing a green and even though that 9 was closed a group of collage kids jumped out to play. One hit a ball from about 180yds that hit me in the thigh

I've never been hit, but am embarrassed to say I tried to fight someone who drove a ball over my head while I waited for the foursome on the green in front of us. Thankfully he backed down, but I can't believe people can be that stupid.

In hindsight, he simply made a mistake. He either didn't see us, or didn't think he could reach us. I made a presumption that he was a jerk bc I tried to say hello to him and his partner at an earlier hole, and they were kind of rude.

A few months ago, there was a foursome playing in front of me. I was in no hurry, and just playing it as a practice round.

They were, I estimated about 225+ yards in front of me.
I pulled 5-iron and took a nice smooth swing...my normal 5 total with a full swing would be about 175.

I was was just getting used to my new irons, and that ball flew way further than any 5 I've ever hit.
It landed right where the four of them were standing. It didn't hit anyone, but it carried right into their group, and would have really done some damage.

I was so embarrassed. I wanted to sneak off the course and go home.
But, I hopped in my cart and drove over to apologize. I could tell they were really upset. But, as soon as I apologized, they changed.
They started joking with me, and one of them said "it's happened to all of us...sometimes the ball just flies off your club and you're thinking where the heck did that come from."
The more understanding they were, the more I felt compelled to apologize further.

I was really wrong to hit my ball. I was feeling pressured from the people waiting behind me, and I also figured there was no way I was coming close.
But, in hindsight, you should never be hitting a ball even 50 yards behind the people in front of you. It's just rude (not to mention potentially dangerous).

But, I will say this, I'd like to think far more often than not, when something like this happens, it's not someone being a jerk, it's someone who made a serious mistake in judgement.

I was hit twice. Once while in college and working at a course. I was mowing the fairway and a d-bag can't wait for me to finish and tees off. It hit the fairway then popped up and hit me square in the forehead. I had a lump the size of an apple for about 4 days.

The docent was at my bachelor party (same course I worked at) and my buddy is on the tee and I am behind him (his back was to me) and he swings, hits the ball of the back of the hosel, the ball comes through his legs and hits me in the shin. We all fell down laughing at him.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Tapatalk

I've been hit in the leg by a bladed bunker shot, hurts. When I first started to learn in HS we used to have to pick up balls on the range. I know they had a cart, but I'm guessing it was more of a "life lesson" that nothing is free in order for us to use this course for free practice. We're off picking one day at the end of the range and everyone hears a "thump"... an odd sound, like when you throw a rock off a piece of wood, and our buddy Jason just sits down. He rubs his head a little, says "damn that stings" and gets up to keep working. Coach sent him home, I'm sure so he didn't get yelled at by a private school kids parents with some money haha

I've been hit a couple times. First time I ever got hit it was from an adjacent fairway and it hit me directly in the side of my thigh. Hurt like hell. They did yell fore, but I decided to walk over and give them the ol' 1-2 anyways. I'm just kidding (old joke from a post on here a while ago, and I'm not sure if I even got the terminology right, haha), they were very apologetic and I totally understood that it was just an accident. The really cool thing is that about two holes later the cart girl drives up and tells me to pick out a drink because the guys in front (the ones who hit the ball into me) wanted to buy me a drink.

The other times I've been hit have been hit have been off the bounce, and only once did the person not yell fore.

Back