For those who've been hit by a ball ... lets have your story

In HS, I was playing golf with some teammates. We are on a par 3. I hit and put it on the green. I stand about 5 ft to the side of the tee box and a little forward. Sure enough, my teammate shanks one right into my left calf. Ouch!

I haven't been hit by a ball, but this past weekend my wife and I were goofing off on the tee box waiting to hit our shots and she caught my right ass cheek with her 3w. Left a perfect imprint with the hosel and everything, we were laughing so damn hard!

My wife almost hit me two rounds ago, she hit a pretty bad wayward shot which hit the tree I was standing under and dropped 1' next to me. Give her a lot of crap for that ;)
She didn't take out a recent life insurance policy on you did she?:ROFLMAO:

True stories
This happened when my buddies started golf. We were horrible players and didn’t know any better.
One dude hit a driver. He skulled it and went about 20yds left toward tree. He decided he gonna hit again and ran toward the ball to retrieve it.
So my other idiot friend decide he gonna hit his tee shot. He hit the driver exact same place where my other idiot.
He was about to bend over to pick the ball up my 2nd idiot hit his driver line drive toward him and it hit him dead center on his right thigh. He was wearing a short too. We heard a sound we’ve never heard before. He stood up like straight and his leg started jerking like crazy and he fell to ground. We all thought he was dead or some. We all ran toward him and saw he wasn’t dead. I don’t why but we just started laughing. We all know we shouldn’t but we were all just bunch of idiots back than. Few minutes later he had huge purple ball print mark on his thigh

2nd story happened later
This happened to same guy who hit other dude. He shanked his driver right no more than 100yds. He said “I think I could hit it between the tree toward fairway” He need to hit it between huge tree and there was skinny tree no more than 6” thick. He said “I am going to aim for that skinny tree” “There is no way I can hit that tree if I aim for it. I’m not that good right”
He hit that tree right in the middle and came right back at him and hit him smack in the middle of his stomach!!! Man he bend over like some body punch his stomach. We still talk about it when we see each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another story that one of our members told me is that years ago an old member was playing the 6th hole at our course. I will try to talk to him next time I see him to get the details but long story short is he hit a tree with his ball that bounced back and hit him. Then a few days later I believe he got hit by someone else. I believe one of the time he may have been knocked out. If that isn't bad enough a week or two later he gets struck by lightning. Luckily he lived but this was all on the same hole within about 2-3 weeks.

I said if that was me I would just skip that hole from then on.:ROFLMAO:

Been hit numerous times...brother in law shanked one that hit me on the very tip of my nose,bled for a little bit but kept going(note to self stay BEHIND this idiot from now on) . A funny one was when I was ahead of a guy that found his ball finally...he marked his ball with a big red H...he hit one right at me, I ducked behind a small tree and it hit my pant leg. Couple holes later I noticed I had a big red H tattooed on my pants!!!

I was walking, carrying my bag in the left rough on the 8th hole. A tee shot was hit on the parallel 7th hole, FORE! someone yelled I look up and a ball emerged through the foliage of a tree maybe 50 yards away. I had just enough time to pivot left and the ball hit my bag. It looked like a softball coming at me....too close

I've been lucky, I guess - in almost 35 years of playing I've only been hit on the bounce a few times, with enough speed scrubbed off that it didn't do anything more than sting a bit at worst. Funny that this thread popped back up, though - lately since we've been going out in single carts a lot, we've all gotten a bit lax about going forward to our balls before others have hit - not in their line, well off to the sides, but could still be in danger from an errant shot. I thought about it once today and realized I was a little too close for comfort on one shot in particular - probably not a bad idea to play it a little safer.

I've got an exact opposite story, I actually hit someone a few years ago, pretty badly. We had been following a group of young guys around all evening who had been so slow and just messing about, but we weren't in a hurry and just enjoying the summer evening. The 18th was just a straigh par 4 about 400 yards, slightly downhill with parallel fairways on both sides. We waited until they were on the green and drove off, I had pulled my drive over the trees onto the left hand fairway and couldn't see the green for trees. Walked back into the middle of our fairway and waited until they had putted out, marked their cards and walked off the green onto the path behind. I absolutely flushed a 9 iron over the trees and cam out from behind the trees happily expecting to see my ball in the middle of the green. But all I saw was the 4 ball ahead who had obviously walked back onto the green, and one of them was bent over. I ran up all the way and there was blood pouring out of his head - apparently they had left a wedge by the green and came back to pick it up, without knowing it I had launched one flush onto his head. I have never felt so bad in my life, offered to drive him to the hospital, pay for a taxi to get him there, put money behind the bar in the clubhouse for beers for them, whatever they wanted me to do. The guy I hit was absolutely fine with things, fully accepted it was his own fault, but one of his buddies was right in my face and it nearly turned ugly. Thankfully there was no permanent harm done, but I shook for almost a week afterwards and to this day am still terrified of hitting a ball whenever there is anyone in anywhere close proximity. I didn't play for a couple of months after that, and still breaks me out in a sweat now!

I've got an exact opposite story, I actually hit someone a few years ago, pretty badly. We had been following a group of young guys around all evening who had been so slow and just messing about, but we weren't in a hurry and just enjoying the summer evening. The 18th was just a straigh par 4 about 400 yards, slightly downhill with parallel fairways on both sides. We waited until they were on the green and drove off, I had pulled my drive over the trees onto the left hand fairway and couldn't see the green for trees. Walked back into the middle of our fairway and waited until they had putted out, marked their cards and walked off the green onto the path behind. I absolutely flushed a 9 iron over the trees and cam out from behind the trees happily expecting to see my ball in the middle of the green. But all I saw was the 4 ball ahead who had obviously walked back onto the green, and one of them was bent over. I ran up all the way and there was blood pouring out of his head - apparently they had left a wedge by the green and came back to pick it up, without knowing it I had launched one flush onto his head. I have never felt so bad in my life, offered to drive him to the hospital, pay for a taxi to get him there, put money behind the bar in the clubhouse for beers for them, whatever they wanted me to do. The guy I hit was absolutely fine with things, fully accepted it was his own fault, but one of his buddies was right in my face and it nearly turned ugly. Thankfully there was no permanent harm done, but I shook for almost a week afterwards and to this day am still terrified of hitting a ball whenever there is anyone in anywhere close proximity. I didn't play for a couple of months after that, and still breaks me out in a sweat now!
Not your fault that you had trees that blocked your view and couldn't see him. Things like that just happen and it was a fluke accident that your ball happened to hit him. You definitely did right offering the help that you did. It would be one thing if you were in the middle of the fairway and could see him but you were blocked out and couldn't see, which makes the friend that got in your face a big richard.

Pretty much the same as most victims, I was standing, just off the fairway, waiting for the green clear in front of me. Minding my own business.

Out of the blue, I get wacked in my upper, right back/shoulder area. My first thought was I had been shot, since I have first hand knowledge of that sensation. I then saw the ball, and immediately knew what actually had happened. Sigh of relief there. I had been hit by a ball, on the fly. Yeah, it hurt.

Looking around, all I could see was the people on the tee box behind me. None of them looking my way. The ball came from one of them.

The ball that hit me mysteriously disappeared, hopefully to be never found again.

No need to go into the various words, and hand gestures involved.

Fast forward, a day later, I had a bright red, and purple bruise about the size of dinner plate on my back. A bruise so bad, and deep my Nurse Wife talked me into seeing a doctor. The only real concern was my kidney had been bruised too.

It took close to two weeks before I had full use of right shoulder again.

I've been lucky, I guess - in almost 35 years of playing I've only been hit on the bounce a few times, with enough speed scrubbed off that it didn't do anything more than sting a bit at worst. Funny that this thread popped back up, though - lately since we've been going out in single carts a lot, we've all gotten a bit lax about going forward to our balls before others have hit - not in their line, well off to the sides, but could still be in danger from an errant shot. I thought about it once today and realized I was a little too close for comfort on one shot in particular - probably not a bad idea to play it a little safer.
Last week I played with a couple guys who were very casual golfers. They were walking off the greens as soon as their putts dropped, had no understanding of when it was their turn to play, and parking their carts IN MY SHOT PATH! Fortunately we didn’t have any issues, but it was frustrating and potentially dangerous.

I've been hit pretty hard twice. Both were accidents, and came without 'FORE'warning.
-First one happened at a shotgun start shamble. I was already in the hole, holding the flagstick with my back to the fairway when I took an incoming shot to the right 'cheek' from about 200 yards out. Thankfully my wallet took the brunt of it but the impact still knocked me to one knee and I had a a decent sized butt bruise for a week or so. Thing is the group hitting into us didn't even know we were up there. We started off on the par 5 par 8th at Branson Hills. That green is completely blind from the 180-230 go-zone in the fairway due to a big hill in between. Their opening hole was hundreds of yards away in another valley where #8 tee was never visible either. Yes, they should've drove up to see if the green was clear. The guy who hit it felt awful but he sure was left with a sweet eagle putt on a shot that likely would've kicked well over the green.
-Second one happened last year at a driving range I frequent. It must've knocked me out for a second because I still remember how weird it was when I came to. Sitting there holding my driver in one hand and a ball in the other while the driving range came into focus in front of me and patrons rushing over to help. Then the PAIN registered. I was told I was bent over placing a ball on the tee when the lefty a couple stalls to my right shanked one off my forehead just above my right eye (thankfully it missed my eye). Worst of it wasn't the dimpled egg that formed over my eye or the headache, it was the crying. The lefty was a high school girl there with friends. All good kids who were all enjoying themselves and I'm always thankful when I see kids taking up an interest in our game like that. Poor thing was so shaken and unconsolable. Kept saying she'd never try this again. I did my best to tell it happens all the time to everyone, that I was fine, that they were all doing good and I hoped they'd enjoy golf all their lives like I had. I raised three daughters, I know how awful each of mine would've felt in her shoes. I've not seen her there since but I hope I do someday. FWIW, the owner of the range immediately built larger dividers for in between the hitting stalls.
-Also been some near misses and a couple that were pretty much out of gas as they kicked softly off a shoe or similar. Most were proceeded by 'FORE' thankfully.

Last edited:
I had just stepped out of my car, the course was crowded so I had to park in the lot that runs 50-60 yards left of 1’s FW. Got hit in the thigh, no physical pain from the hit itself.

Financial pain though as it broke my iPhone. Everyone in that group denied that they were the ones that hit it but literally unless someone was on the range hitting 90* into the parking 150 yards away it had to have been them. But with them all lying for one of em, what was I with no witnesses going to do?

There was a little physical pain I guess as my phone still functioned but with the screen busted badly I cut my fingers up using it until the replacement came in.

I got hit today. Pretty flush on the shoulder blade.
My buddy basically has iron shanks right now, and I should have been well clear of any predictable friendly fire.
That's all I want to say about that.

I've been hit pretty hard twice. Both were accidents, and came without 'FORE'warning.
-First one happened at a shotgun start shamble. I was already in the hole, holding the flagstick with my back to the fairway when I took an incoming shot to the right 'cheek' from about 200 yards out. Thankfully my wallet took the brunt of it but the impact still knocked me to one knee and I had a a decent sized butt bruise for a week or so. Thing is the group hitting into us didn't even know we were up there. We started off on the par 5 par 8th at Branson Hills. That green is completely blind from the 180-230 go-zone in the fairway due to a big hill in between. Their opening hole was hundreds of yards away in another valley where #8 tee was never visible either. Yes, they should've drove up to see if the green was clear. The guy who hit it felt awful but he sure was left with a sweet eagle putt on a shot that likely would've kicked well over the green.
-Second one happened last year at a driving range I frequent. It must've knocked me out for a second because I still remember how weird it was when I came to. Sitting there holding my driver in one hand and a ball in the other while the driving range came into focus in front of me and patrons rushing over to help. Then the PAIN registered. I was told I was bent over placing a ball on the tee when the lefty a couple stalls to my right shanked one off my forehead just above my right eye (thankfully it missed my eye). Worst of it wasn't the dimpled egg that formed over my eye or the headache, it was the crying. The lefty was a high school girl there with friends. All good kids who were all enjoying themselves and I'm always thankful when I see kids taking up an interest in our game like that. Poor thing was so shaken and unconsolable. Kept saying she'd never try this again. I did my best to tell it happens all the time to everyone, that I was fine, that they were all doing good and I hoped they'd enjoy golf all their lives like I had. I raised three daughters, I know how awful each of mine would've felt in her shoes. I've not seen her there since but I hope I do someday. FWIW, the owner of the range immediately built larger dividers for in between the hitting stalls.
-Also been some near misses and a couple that were pretty much out of gas as they kicked softly off a shoe or similar. Most were proceeded by 'FORE' thankfully.
As a lefty, it's this exact scenario that I fear... and I try to get the far end left side slot when I'm at the driving range to try to avoid hitting someone with a shank.

I was on the practice green and caught a hozel rocket off the first tee. Right in the hip bone, owies.

Only been hit on the bounce a couple times. No blood no foul. But last year when I was at the driving range the guy was out there in his cage cart picking up balls. There's a hill with a white flag at 150 yards in the middle. The guy disappears behind the hill as my ball is coming down. I joked to the guy next to me "You have to try and hit the ball guy". The ball guy drives up to us and says "Who hit that one behind the hill? There's a small hole right in the top and the ball came through it. Hit me right in the thigh." I proudly raised my hand. He said "Good shot". :ROFLMAO:

As a lefty, it's this exact scenario that I fear... and I try to get the far end left side slot when I'm at the driving range to try to avoid hitting someone with a shank.
I get the end slot, but the lefty thing not as much. Is it just because it's potentially at their face? Because one to the back of the head is likely to be worse. The forehead/crown is actually designed more for impact.

I was in high school playing a local dog track par 3 course that had “Thursday Night $5 specials.” $5 for 18 holes under the lights. Course was a fun layout, crappy conditions, but was always a blast with the boys when you’re 16-17 and only have $10 in your pocket and an old car.

Anyways, 5th hole, on the tee. One of my plying partners was hitting. We hear “fore” from the 4th hole, which is directly behind us. Someone hit and flew the green from 110-115 yards. Before we could process it, BOOM. Took the ball square in my shoulder blade. All bone. Hurt like hell.

Not to sound braggy or anything like that, but I was playing football at the time, ended up getting a football scholarship at a small school to play center/guard, etc. Suffice it to say, I’m a large guy and had a temper. “Seeing red” from getting hit due to someone’s late “fore” call, I picked their ball up and slung it into the woods to our side. Hurled some expletives his way. Meanwhile, my buddies are on the ground gasping for air from laughing so hard. Seeing them laughing brought me back down and made me realize it was an accident, kinda funny, etc. I apologized to the guy when he approached the green on #4. He looked terrified. I gave him a ball, said I knew it was an accident, etc. He apologized profusely, still looking terrified like I was going to pick him up and throw him in the woods, too.

Ended up with a huge knot on my shoulder blade, which turned 8 shades of black and blue in a somewhat comically perfect golf ball shape.

Funny story that my buddies still love telling to this day.

We just teed off on the 10th hole, a par 5 with a big dogleg 220 yards out with big pines lining the left side and smaller pines on the right. One guy hit into the pines on the right. I'm waiting in the middle of the fairway for the guy to hit out of there. Next thing I know, the guy is taking a drop on this side of the trees.

I had enough time to quickly take three more steps to the left before the guy swings away. His ball hits the trunk of the pine 20 feet in front of him and ricochets 40 feet to where I am standing...on the fly and in an instant. Hit me just below the rib cage. Thankfully, all into soft tissue.

I managed to par the hole and play on. However, three weeks later I could show someone the exact size of a golf ball just by lifting my shirt. It was black and blue for awhile.

Not your fault that you had trees that blocked your view and couldn't see him. Things like that just happen and it was a fluke accident that your ball happened to hit him. You definitely did right offering the help that you did. It would be one thing if you were in the middle of the fairway and could see him but you were blocked out and couldn't see, which makes the friend that got in your face a big richard.
Ah I agree with you completely, and all logic and reason say you're right. Still makes me sweat just thinking about it though, was the most awful experience I've ever had on a golf course, and especially I'm someone who tends to overthink a lot of things. Console myself with the old 'could have been worse' scenario. Only upside was that it was a sweet sweet 9 iron!

So I have two stories and I hit the ball in both stories 😮 and one one occasion the ball hit me.

1. This occurred about 20 years ago..... I was stood on the tee box and had tee’d up across the right hand side of the box. The box markers were concrete golf ball shaped about 7” in diameter with the ladies tee about 10 yards in front. I took my usually swing and thinned the shot which struck the right hand ladies tee marker and ricocheted into my right shin. I thought I’d broken my leg.... and to be fair I am lucky I didn’t break my leg. I had an egg shaped swelling that must have been 1” in height and but a perfect ball shape.

2. This one was about 7 years ago. I had played my tee shot which left me in a poor position just behind a bush. I was fighting a hook at the time and felt that actually if I aimed to take that into account I would be round the bush and safely in the fairway. My golf buddy was about 15 yards to my right and about 30 yards in front of me but not in my ball flight. I took my swing and the ball shot off the club face like a bullet, I just managed to squeal his name as the ball hit him. He dropped to the floor like he’d been taken out by a sniper in the trees as my ball ran 150yards down the middle of the fairway. I ran over to him an although stunned he fortunately was ok with a slight cut about an inch above his ear. He got to his feet and we played the remaining 9 holes - what a legend this man is... for months & months I worried about him having a bleed to the brain but he’s ok 😀. We still play every Saturday and socialise away from golf. He doesn’t now get ahead of the ball 🤣 and my golf has improved as well. We do however have a laugh about it...

As a lefty, I tend to try to get the end... at a restaurant, I try to sit on the outside... so my eating won't interfere with anyone else.

At a driving range, I try to get the far left slot so as to face away form everyone. I'd rather a shank from the toe of my club shoot harmlessly out and away from people... you're right in that I don't want to face anyone and chance hitting them... but then again, a hosel rocket goes who knows where.:oops:

Back