ripper

Reaction score
Handicap
Yesterday I bought a Fusion with the Microsoft Sync System and I am wondering if anyone else is using the Sync and what your thoughts are. Any good tips or tricks?
The user manual is about 85 pages so its going to take me a while to get through it, but so far it looks like a fun gadget.

Last edited:
Have it in both of our '10 Milans and love it. I've also driven a few of the Edges/Explorers/Focus with the new MyFord Touch system (perks of the job). I've enjoyed using that as well - but it takes some getting used to since everything (just about) can be controlled by voice commands.

Depending on the radio you have (Navigation or non-Navigation), there are a few differences. I haven't driven a SYNC-equipped car w/Nav radio in about 2 years, so not up on that one. Here are some commands you'll want to get used to.

Main tree: Phone, Services, and USB (if you have an MP3 player or flash drive plugged into it)

From Phone:
  • Call (name of contact in phone)
  • Dial (number) then Dial at next prompt to initiate

From Services:
  • Traffic - gives traffic update for current route or near you
  • Directions - will guide you to entering an address and give turn-by-turn voice commands (and text on radio) to your destination
  • Business Search - guides you to find a business, and will either dial the business phone or give you turn-by-turn directions to the address if desired
  • Horoscopes - Yep, exactly!
  • Movies - will search theaters, movies listings, play times, and reviews
  • News - Gives news updates
  • Sports - Sports updates
  • Stocks - Stock updates
  • Travel - gives travel information and can connect you with airlines, rental cars, etc
  • Weather - Weather updates
  • Favorites - you can set "favorites" for many of these sections on your online SyncMyRide.com account

From USB:
  • Play - starts playing from first song on device or last position on playlist
  • Pause
  • Play All
  • Play Next Track
  • Play Previous Track
  • Play Playlist (playlist name)
  • Play Artist (artist name)
  • Play Album (album name)
  • Play Genre (genre name)
  • Play Track (track name)
  • Play SImilar Music - plays music similar to that being played currently
  • Shuffle On/Off

There's more than this, but that's a good array of what the SYNC system can do for starters. One other nice feature - if you look up an address on Google Maps, you can send it to the car (well your phone) and when you next get in the car, it will ask if you want to start route guidance to that address.

From Google Maps:
  • Click on the destination and click "Send"
  • Select "Car", "Make", enter your mobile number, and click Send.

The Sync system can be confusing to use at first, so dont get frustrated. My parents have it on a couple of their Fords and theres a bit of a learning curve to it. I know that a lot of people have companied about the Sync system and its reflected in Ford's J.D. Power rating.

The Sync system can be confusing to use at first, so dont get frustrated. My parents have it on a couple of their Fords and theres a bit of a learning curve to it. I know that a lot of people have companied about the Sync system and its reflected in Ford's J.D. Power rating.

Almost correct. The complaints are about the MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch system. Models that haven't moved to the new systems rated quite well in JD Power - F-150 & Taurus won their classes.

Almost correct. The complaints are about the MyFord Touch/MyLincoln Touch system. Models that haven't moved to the new systems rated quite well in JD Power - F-150 & Taurus won their classes.
No, they have Sync and sometimes it doesnt do exactly what you tell it to. Ive had issues with the MP3 system in getting it to play the song I want. You have to make sure you speak clearly and kind of loudly or else it gets confused sometimes.
You are right though that the MyTouch is a lot more problematic.

I have it on my F-150 and love it! Being able to make calls, find businesses, get directions and things with voice commands is very helpful. Some phones will even let sync read your text messages to you..unfortunately the I-phone isn't one of them. Just play with it a little and you'll be hooked.

Wow a lot of reading. Good Luck

I never used the SYNC, but I'm looking forward to trying it out. I really hate my Pontiac anymore and looking to get rid of it sometime later this year or earlier next year.

Can't wait to go back to owning a Ford again.

Taaaaap-a-talk....tap tap taaap-a-talk....give it a little tap-a-rooonie...

I love it, but it is cumbersome for a while. there are phones that won't do 100% of the things either. My old phone was 100% compatible and everything just worked. But my new Android-based phone has a couple issues, primarily in how I have to get the bluetooth audio to work. Streaming Pandora, iHeartRadio, or your MP3s is awesome. And like the girl on the commercial, sometimes the computer lady is funny when reading text messages. My wife was texting me all kinds of stuff to see what she'd say....yes, she will cuss.

I enjoy the SYNC in my Fusion. The only thing that drives me crazy is it ask me all the time if I want to run a vehicle report (or something along those lines) and it drives me crazy!

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I have the basic Sync system in my F150 (no Navi). I use it mostly for Cell and playing MP3's through the USB port.

Sometimes I have to scold the Sync lady for not listening, but no problems other than that.

I enjoy the SYNC in my Fusion. The only thing that drives me crazy is it ask me all the time if I want to run a vehicle report (or something along those lines) and it drives me crazy!

Tapatalk... Loved by me hated by the wife.

I found this online, it says you can turn off the vehicle report feauture. Having trouble running a Vehicle Health Report? Want to turn OFF the Run a Report prompt? Here are some tips from the engineers. f you don't wish to be reminded to run a report automatically, you can turn OFF this feature. In the SYNC menu, choose Vehicle Health Report and select Turn OFF Auto Report.

Maybe that will work for you

Have it in both of our '10 Milans and love it. I've also driven a few of the Edges/Explorers/Focus with the new MyFord Touch system (perks of the job). I've enjoyed using that as well - but it takes some getting used to since everything (just about) can be controlled by voice commands.

Depending on the radio you have (Navigation or non-Navigation), there are a few differences. I haven't driven a SYNC-equipped car w/Nav radio in about 2 years, so not up on that one. Here are some commands you'll want to get used to.

Main tree: Phone, Services, and USB (if you have an MP3 player or flash drive plugged into it)

From Phone:
  • Call (name of contact in phone)
  • Dial (number) then Dial at next prompt to initiate

From Services:
  • Traffic - gives traffic update for current route or near you
  • Directions - will guide you to entering an address and give turn-by-turn voice commands (and text on radio) to your destination
  • Business Search - guides you to find a business, and will either dial the business phone or give you turn-by-turn directions to the address if desired
  • Horoscopes - Yep, exactly!
  • Movies - will search theaters, movies listings, play times, and reviews
  • News - Gives news updates
  • Sports - Sports updates
  • Stocks - Stock updates
  • Travel - gives travel information and can connect you with airlines, rental cars, etc
  • Weather - Weather updates
  • Favorites - you can set "favorites" for many of these sections on your online SyncMyRide.com account

From USB:
  • Play - starts playing from first song on device or last position on playlist
  • Pause
  • Play All
  • Play Next Track
  • Play Previous Track
  • Play Playlist (playlist name)
  • Play Artist (artist name)
  • Play Album (album name)
  • Play Genre (genre name)
  • Play Track (track name)
  • Play SImilar Music - plays music similar to that being played currently
  • Shuffle On/Off

There's more than this, but that's a good array of what the SYNC system can do for starters. One other nice feature - if you look up an address on Google Maps, you can send it to the car (well your phone) and when you next get in the car, it will ask if you want to start route guidance to that address.

From Google Maps:
  • Click on the destination and click "Send"
  • Select "Car", "Make", enter your mobile number, and click Send.

Dude, you rock! That really helps. I played around with it a little last night, its pretty neat. I discovered I need to connect the Ipod through the USB to be able to request specific songs. I had it hooked up through Bluetooth and it wouldnt let me give voice commands other than Pause, Next Song, etc.

Recently purchased an explorer with the help of osahar!

Loving the ford touch and sync.

It does require a learning curve, but once you get the basics down it's pretty easy and fun!

I Took a few road trips and while on those it's a pretty good time to teach yourself. Passes time readily.

"what can I say" is a useful command when learning, also yu can select the "menu" and bring up a list of commands onscreen.

It also gets better at recognizing your voice and commands as it learns your speaking style. At first it took forever to learn my street addresses as I said them, now it detects the exact address first time.

Great system, I really like it

Back