Forgiving 3 iron?

lowfi

Reaction score
Handicap
8.8 OOB
Is that an oxymoron?

Anyway, I am over my 21* hybrid Mashie. I get nasty draws/hoooks from it and I am going to stop fighting it. I should have bought something with less offset. My swing has changed for the better and the offset isn't helping me in the least.

I rack my 4 iron off of the tee and now want to try a 3 iron. I currently game Mizuno MX300's but the lowest club in my set is a 4 iron...a dilemma!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a great 3 iron that is relatively forgiving to hit? I have read good things about the Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron but dont want to bias anyone's opinion. My current irons have DG S300's but would be open to different shaft opinions as well (however I know that all of this is dependent upon monitor testing).

Let 'er rip!

Thanks everyone,

Low

Check out some driving irons. Or just pick up an SGI or GI 3 iron on the bay. Should be plenty of options. I'd say you'd probably want something that will launch it pretty high unless you already play a very high ball.

Sorry...what's an SGI or GI3?

Do you think that the large draw/hook is an offset issue or a possible "sean can't hit a hybrid" issue?

Do you think that the large draw/hook is an offset issue or a possible "sean can't hit a hybrid" issue?

Could be a shaft issue as well.

Possible! It's a super light Miyazaki stock shaft.

Sorry...what's an SGI or GI3?

SGI = super game improvement
GI = game improvement

I have a hybrid issue as well. I've tried a bunch and I can't hit many well at all. Only found a few that work for me. I much prefer long irons so I'm in a similar situation to you.

From personal experience, I had the Mashie M3 and I hooked the crap out go it due to the offset. I bought the R11 rescue in the same loft which has much less offset and I hit it much straighter

Offset design varies on who you talk to. Some say it's designed to get the ball in the air quicker and others to square your hands quicker at impact and out in front of the ball. Some say both.

The heads' center of gravity will be back behind the shaft giving it a higher trajectory. Very helpful if you have trouble getting the ball in the air.

I gave up on trying to hit a 3 iron a long time ago. With the advent of hybrids, it's silly to carry one IMO. Some people still love them though. But as far as a forgiving 3 iron, look for something with some meat behind the blade. I think TM did a good thing wit their Burner and RBZ irons with those types of lower lofted irons. There are lots out there. For me however, I say get a Mashie or two. Good Luck.

Last edited:
There are alot of people who hook the mashies because of the offset, try to find a hybrid with less offset and give that a few swings you might be suprised.

The VR_S from Nike, Wilson Staff's Ci11, or the RBZ irons should all have 3 iron options.

I've never met a forgiving 3 iron. Keep looking at the hybrids, there are so many out there one will catch your eye and you'll hit it well.

Hi, i have the rbz 3 iron, i originally got it with a steel shaft which worked well but i wasnt hitting it as consistantly as i would have liked and the wrong flex in the club. Since putting a graphite shaft in the club it has worked really well can hit it very straight and goes a long way for me. I used to have a hybrid and i could hit it well sometimes and other days all over the place and at my course its hard to stay in play if off to the left or right even a small amount. The 3 iron is easy to hit straight and found to be a good club to use when need decent distance.

burner 2.0 3 iron is very forgiving.

If you are hooking every shot with only that one club look at the shaft.

I personally shaft the 3 hybrid with the same shaft as the irons. Seems to work well for most folks. The only ones that it doesn't work for are slower swingers.

My 2 cents .......

hackin

Here's an oldie but goodie:
http://www.titleist.com/news-archive/story/1306/TITLEIST%20INTRODUCES%20NEW%20TOURPROVEN%20503H%20UTILITY%20IRON.aspx

feature1.jpg

Is that an oxymoron?

Anyway, I am over my 21* hybrid Mashie. I get nasty draws/hoooks from it and I am going to stop fighting it. I should have bought something with less offset. My swing has changed for the better and the offset isn't helping me in the least.

I rack my 4 iron off of the tee and now want to try a 3 iron. I currently game Mizuno MX300's but the lowest club in my set is a 4 iron...a dilemma!

Does anyone have any suggestions on a great 3 iron that is relatively forgiving to hit? I have read good things about the Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3 iron but dont want to bias anyone's opinion. My current irons have DG S300's but would be open to different shaft opinions as well (however I know that all of this is dependent upon monitor testing).

Let 'er rip!

Thanks everyone,

Low

If you want something similar to what you already have maybe a JPX or JPX pro 3 iron?

The one problem with and SG iron like a burner 2.0 or G20 is that he is going to have plenty of offset with that club as well. More forgiving usually = more offset so you in a little bit of a catch 22 there.
If you like hybrids just having issues with the mashie maybe an Adam's a12? Or a 910H? Both are low in the offset department and are quality sticks.

I second Josh84's mention of the rbz 3 iron. I bought the 4i-aw set and needed a club longer the the 4i, but I can not hit fairway woods to save my life. The 3i has come in very handy and is very forgiving on miss hits (stays relatively straight when hit off the toe or heel). I am very happy that i added that to my set.

One of my buddies used to have a problem with hooking his hybrid and he ended up putting some lead tape out on the toe of the club. Now he plays a nice tight draw with it. It's something that is cheap and easy to try out and you can remove it if you don't like.

Could be a shaft issue as well.

I was having this exact problem for a long time. Tried out some hybrids with different shafts and suddenly the swing became easy and controlled. Running into this with my driver too.

Thanks guys! I think it is mainly an offset issue...grr...

Hawk-how does the jpx fli-hi compare to the MP Fli-Hi?

Sorry I haven't hit the MP.

Posted via tapatalk

Wishon 870ti 3i. End of story.

Since you already play the MX-300's find a MX-900 3 iron. I ebayed my set last year but wish I had kept the 3 iron since it was easy to swing and a freaking hammer hitting the ball. I also can't hit a hybrid but could hit this club with ease. Total grain flow forged hammer if you can find one.

Back