Forgiving Drivers

mikeg_74

2015 Grandaddy | 2019 Grandaddy AssCap
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
11ish
Most of us are usually looking for all the help we can get off the tee. If you’re like me inconsistent delivery of the driver at impact can lead to maddening results that has me chasing a solution to try and minimize the damage. I’ve managed to clean up my swing, but I’m not immune to a bad strike off the tee. Through my personal trial and error I settled on the Mavrik Max.

For those that want to be more brand agnostic the guys over at TXG have a video up comparing Cobra SZ Extreme, Ping G410 and the Mavrik Max. Interesting results that should help players make a more informed decision.

Last edited:
i saw that today too. it bothered me that they put the g410 in the mix. it’s not marketed like the other two. really didn’t make sense to me.

i have hit both of the higher forgiveness drivers in that video, and the mav max is far more forgiving while maintaining a more palatable shape/size and better sound/feel (to me).

curious to hear what other people think about the more forgiving drivers on the market. i’m all about forgiveness off the tee.

i saw that today too. it bothered me that they put the g410 in the mix. it’s not marketed like the other two. really didn’t make sense to me.

i have hit both of the higher forgiveness drivers in that video, and the mav max is far more forgiving while maintaining a more palatable shape/size and better sound/feel (to me).

curious to hear what other people think about the more forgiving drivers on the market. i’m all about forgiveness off the tee.
I don’t know about forgiving or not. I’ve hit the Mavrik Max and I play the Ping G410 plus. I hit the Ping much better, and it’s not even close. That said I’m more of the mind of finding what feels right. Swinging the Ping just felt like a good fit from the start. I have not picked up a Cobra.

It’s the 410+ which was the replacement for the 400 Max and their more forgiving option. The SFT might be forgiving for some, but it’s designed for a specific miss.

In the middle of last year the 410+ was the straightest driver they ever tested according to their own video/test of it.

I saw this today too. I don't game any of them and forgiveness isn't something I really seek, but for me it would go mav max, ping g410 plus, and then speedzone extreme. I hit the mav max for the first time in a while just a couple days ago, and the speedzone extreme for the first time ever. The max is just a good club. Looks pretty good, feels good, sounds alright. The ping is a ping. You love or hate the 3 things I just mentioned, but the results are good. I am not a fan of the SZ extreme from that limited session. Size, sound, and shorter were my observations, and I didn't like any of them. They all look enormous to me, but the max still looks sleek at least.

It’s the 410+ which was the replacement for the 400 Max and their more forgiving option. The SFT might be forgiving for some, but it’s designed for a specific miss.

In the middle of last year the 410+ was the straightest driver they ever tested according to their own video/test of it.

Hmmmm. what was the replacement for the G400 then?

The 410 is one of the most forgiving out there, there’s no denying that. I found the standard more forgiving than the Max, but it was also slightly higher spin for me. Hence why I prefer the LST. The Ping drivers get scoffed at a bit around here at times, but they’re making some great drivers right now. The 410’s problem is the 400 sold so well.

Actually, they did work on and had a 410 Max, and it wasn’t released.

One thing I took away is how they showed heel or toe shots and how they compare. My miss is usually heel side and their results showed a lot of what I’ve been seeing without the hard numbers backing it up.

I need to watch this, but without watching and just seeing the screen shot I would guess the Mavrik Max would top the list.

With moi numbers what they are today are there really any unforgiving drivers ???

For me they all perform differently.
The PXG 0811XF gen 2, the g410 and Mav Max I couldn’t dial the draw out no matter the shaft or weight or hosel settings. To my eye they all seem a little closed at address. If I lower the loft to open the face the launch was too low for me.

the Speedzone Xtreme I own now and the face to My eye seems to fall open which I love given I fight a hook.According to Game Golf my miss is a push right with it that makes sense. Dialing it in the more I work with it.

probably the two straightest drivers I’ve tried are the Epic Flash (weight in the fade side) and the EXS220.
I keep seeing these forgiving driver shootouts online and not sure how the EXS220 is not included in the mix. It’s the largest head profile by far Of the 2020 heads and very shallow. Weight is going to be low and back by design which equals high moi.

One thing I took away is how they showed heel or toe shots and how they compare. My miss is usually heel side and their results showed a lot of what I’ve been seeing without the hard numbers backing it up.
I noticed this years ago myself when longer length drivers started coming out. That is a typical miss when a club is a little too long in the overall length.
The caveat with "forgiving" drivers is that they're marketed as more forgiving, but then they put longer shafts on them to try to eek out just a little more distance. Usually, accuracy takes a hit then. I see the Ping is 45.75" for example, like my G2 was back in the day when I started having to play drivers a little shorter than standard. (y)

I noticed this years ago myself when longer length drivers started coming out. That is a typical miss when a club is a little too long in the overall length.
The caveat with "forgiving" drivers is that they're marketed as more forgiving, but then they put longer shafts on them to try to eek out just a little more distance. Usually, accuracy takes a hit then. I see the Ping is 45.75" for example, like my G2 was back in the day when I started having to play drivers a little shorter than standard. (y)
Precisely the reason I was fit at 44 3/4 for my driver. Helps me hit center more often

Something forgotten on that though, most ams struggle being steep, and for a decent segment a longer shaft actually helps/forces them to shallow things a bit. It’s something we don’t y’all or think about enough, and I say that as one who plays shorter than stock

The 410 is one of the most forgiving out there, there’s no denying that. I found the standard more forgiving than the Max, but it was also slightly higher spin for me. Hence why I prefer the LST. The Ping drivers get scoffed at a bit around here at times, but they’re making some great drivers right now. The 410’s problem is the 400 sold so well.

Actually, they did work on and had a 410 Max, and it wasn’t released.

i wasn’t questioning the forgiveness. i’m saying it’s the “standard” driver in ping’s line. mav has the standard. sz is standard then sz xtreme is the max forgiveness. ping doesn’t have the same type of release this year. for purposes of this test, it didn’t fit in with the other two strictly from a messaging perspective.

ping has been on an impressive run with their drivers lately. i loved g400 and g400 max.

i wasn’t questioning the forgiveness. i’m saying it’s the “standard” driver in ping’s line. mav has the standard. sz is standard then sz xtreme is the max forgiveness. ping doesn’t have the same type of release this year. for purposes of this test, it didn’t fit in with the other two strictly from a messaging perspective.

ping has been on an impressive run with their drivers lately. i loved g400 and g400 max.
Sure it does, it’s the standard and the forgiving model. People forget, the 400 Max was an afterthought that came out way later than the 400. This year, no max, but this is still the trademark forgiving head of the 410 line.

Sure it does, it’s the standard and the forgiving model. People forget, the 400 Max was an afterthought that came out way later than the 400. This year, no max, but this is still the trademark forgiving head of the 410 line.

The G400 Max is still in line though, right?
It wasn't marked down like the rest of the line and like you said, they were planning a 410 Max, but never brought it to market.

The G400 Max is still in line though, right?
It wasn't marked down like the rest of the line and like you said, they were planning a 410 Max, but never brought it to market.
I’ve not heard it being current line, just that it’s still there, but ping always does odd ping things. Even then, they’re reviewing new models, the 410 being the newest makes sense. Not to
Mention is really is just one of the most forgiving drivers out there so it’s cool to see it put agains the others in the video.

I’ve not heard it being current line, just that it’s still there, but ping always does odd ping things. Even then, they’re reviewing new models, the 410 being the newest makes sense. Not to
Mention is really is just one of the most forgiving drivers out there so it’s cool to see it put agains the others in the video.

I had to look it up. This is the front of PING's driver page.
I have no dog in the fight, as I didn't even watch the video. Just found it odd when someone said "this is the plus model" vs what PING actually labeled it. I think he was getting Plus and Max confused.

Screen Shot 2020-07-03 at 10.56.16 AM.png

I have no dog in the fight, as I didn't even watch the video. Just found it odd when someone said "this is the plus model" vs what PING actually labeled it. I think he was getting Plus and Max confused.

View attachment 8951721
Ping being ping. Handling it about as well as their Arccos partnership :ROFLMAO:

It still wouldn’t have made sense to include that one in this imo. And I say that as one who gamed and loved the Max for a season.

View attachment 8951721
Not confused. As Jman said, the + is the max and standard. There was no need for a new max as they went along the lines of the F9 with the plus being the forgiving option.

Not confused. As Jman said, the + is the max and standard. There was no need for a new max as they went along the lines of the F9 with the plus being the forgiving option.

I’m Just confusedI guess, you said the 410+ was the replacement for the Max. The Max is still in line. As shown on their website.
FWIW, they worked on a new Max, but decided against bringing it to market since inventory was so high with shutdowns going on. We posted about this very early on.

PING was not planning on deviating, which is Standard, LST for weight forward and SFT for forgiving and draw biased. Then following it up with Max for the fall launch.

Oh well...

I’m Just confusedI guess, you said the 410+ was the replacement for the Max. The Max is still in line. As shown on their website.
FWIW, they worked on a new Max, but decided against bringing it to market since inventory was so high with shutdowns going on. We posted about this very early on.

PING was not planning on deviating, which is Standard, LST for weight forward and SFT for forgiving and draw biased. Then following it up with Max for the fall launch.
If that was the case the Max would have been due out August of 2019, not this year. So shutdowns and inventory now have nothing to do with it.

Their fitters are telling private clubs that there was no need. The + outperformed the 400 Max in every way. Similar to the F9 being as forgiving as the F8 and as long or longer than the F8+.

Their own website. Both drivers, still priced at $400. Both are still in line at retailers.

0CD6E827-4737-42FE-8203-4F6B66EAF73E.png

Something forgotten on that though, most ams struggle being steep, and for a decent segment a longer shaft actually helps/forces them to shallow things a bit. It’s something we don’t y’all or think about enough, and I say that as one who plays shorter than stock
I'm talking about center face contact, not hitting the ground. ;)

About the only players I've witnessed being able to control a longer shaft, are older guys with a slower, more deliberate tempo that need a little more distance with age. Generally, the longer the club, the harder to hit consistently. Ask most any beginner.

Most will find their length when they get center face/sweetspot contact. Most clubfitters will probably agree.
Getting steep is mostly a case of lack of flexibility to make a proper turn. No one wants to work on that! :LOL:(y)

Their own website. Both drivers, still priced at $400. Both are still in line at retailers.

View attachment 8951757

The entire 400 line is still on Ping’s website...see the attachment. I’m not sure why you’d cherry pick the max.

They are all also available from multiple sources right now.

Attachments

• CFF2A6D7-EF36-449E-BC9B-F8A214CBC3B6.png
    CFF2A6D7-EF36-449E-BC9B-F8A214CBC3B6.png
    89.2 KB · Views: 11
Back