JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
As more golfers are using wedges for full swings, we had Cleveland come with a more forgiving wedge lineup in CBX. Wider sole, longer heel to toe and low and deep weighting. Of course perimeter weighting as well.

They have done well, so do you think we will see other companies bring this concept to market and if so how soon?

I hope so! The CBX2 Full Face makes so much sense!

The should. CBX2 is amazing. After having used them I think it makes sense for better players that can ball strike and hit more player irons play MB/blade style irons and use the CBX2 style wedges than the other way which is the norm than vice versa.

I think others will expand to something like this. It's a market that is pretty open and has some good potential I would think. It wouldn't surprise me to see more options in the next year.

The most forgiving I've played is Ping Stealth Glide 2.

There are some advantages to a smaller clubhead in the rough or tight lies, I believe.

Cleveland’s wedges are superb. I have the CBX 2 in 50 & the FF in the 56/60. I will not be leaving the forgiveness in my wedges ever again. Would love to see some other companies follow suit to give more options in this niche.

I hope so. I went with set wedges pretty much for this reason. What Cleveland did was combine the forgiveness of a set GI wedge with the performance of an aftermarket one. I’d be surprised if another company wouldn’t go this route.

I'm with @Desmond . I think the Glides are brilliant. The CBX's are too, but I like the look of the glides better. They're different, and from eachother, and I think there's space for even more like them. I don't get why any company that makes clubs wouldn't be bringing their own version of a forgiving wedge to market to match their irons. It's a hollow body, cavity back world after all. Isn't part of Clevelands CBX deal 'wedges for people who play cavity back irons'? Well a ton of people play CB and hollow bodies. I say give them a bunch of choices on what to match with them.

I can only think of 4 times I wished I had a different wedge in my hand since I put the Glide 3.0s in my bag, and they were all bounce/grind related. Which can happen with any wedge. And it's impossible to say what my proximity would be with my rtx's or vokeys on all the same shots, but with the glides, it has been ridiculous. There doesn't seem to be a drawback to that kind of design.

Maybe, but will it stick? Cleveland, Callaway etc, came out with a high toe version of their wedges and not sure how they are selling.

It would make sense to, but not sure that thought is on Roger Cleveland's mind when he is designing a wedge.
I think for some it is very necessary, but not for everyone.

Personally, I have never really worried about forgiveness with wedges. I played Cleveland 588 wedges for a long time. Last year, I switched to RTX4. Love the versatility they provide.

My gut says yes, we will see more of them. Plenty of big players can put their name on it and charge a premium.

Companies should follow suit with what Cleveland has done. They look sweet. The blacked out wedges are 🔥🔥🔥

If most of us were really honest with ourselves, clubs such as these would outsell the clubs most of us game by a large margin. More forgiving is almost always better for a large portion of the golfing public. But we, as humans, like t stroke our egos and think we are better than we are, so of course we need the "better player" equipment.

I game the Smart Sole 58.
For me it's about forgiveness from the sole not the face. Wedge play is all about turf interaction. Tight lies, loose ground, I feel that the wide sole of the Smart Sole really helps to give big confidence to attack any shot. Lobs, bump and runs, full shots, tight nips.
I've been tempted to try others but I'll probably buy the SS4. As a single figure it may look odd to have a Smart sole amongst blades and a 64 but it is just so good and so versatile.
Unfortunately too many people are not willing to try but also trying a wedge on a mat is hopeless.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

I hope other oems jump on board.
For my game I use my CBX 60* for probably 95% or shots inside of 60 yds including most chips. I have a 64* Sure Out that I use for 65 yd full shots, short sided shots and sand shots.

When I ordered my T-Rail irons I figured since I use my GW and SW pretty much for full shots only I might as well order the GW and SW as well. Best decision ever. I love standing at 100 yds (GW) and 85 yds (SW) and hitting these. I previously had CBX wedges In those slots but my set wedges are even better.

currently at an 8.2 cap. Give me easy any day.

I am on board with forgiving wedges. One of my favorite clubs from the past was a Ping Eye2 lob wedge that was super forgiving.

Personally, I have never really worried about forgiveness with wedges. I played Cleveland 588 wedges for a long time. Last year, I switched to RTX4. Love the versatility they provide.
Cool thing about the CBX2 and Full Face? Versatility isn’t sacrificed much at all.

I hope so! The CBX2 Full Face makes so much sense!
I state it any better that above so I won't.
Options are good for everyone.

I believe it would be foolish for others OEMs not too expand into this market.

I'd like to see more options in this space. It's one of the reasons I really appreciate that Callaway ships an AW in the Apex pros. I've noticed I'm much better on full swings with that than the 48 degree blade wedge it replaced. At the same time, I do occasionally full swing a 54, so it would be nice to have something that's kind of in between that and a blade in that spot.

I would assume that companies that design and build wedges have had their market analysts study the potential return on the investment dollar and determined there’s not enough return. Of course, I put market analysts right up their with weather forecasters.

That said, there’s a challenge that can be made to Cleveland’s dominance in this category.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like a trend that will gain a bit more traction.
(I'd guess we'd see another line or two before next year's hotlist and typical marketing efforts)

I've seen my short game improve by switching to wider soled, more forgiving wedges and I'm sure other high handicappers could benefit similarly.

I'd like to see more options in this space. It's one of the reasons I really appreciate that Callaway ships an AW in the Apex pros. I've noticed I'm much better on full swings with that than the 48 degree blade wedge it replaced. At the same time, I do occasionally full swing a 54, so it would be nice to have something that's kind of in between that and a blade in that spot.
100% agree with this^^^

I wouldn’t switch my Apex AW out for a specialty wedge ever.

A 54* with a little more forgiveness on full swings is currently one thing that could convince me to part with some money.

Back