Forum Testing - Golf Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Nike One Tour D and Bridgestone E5. I was fitted to an RX and really love the ball. But I just wasnt consistant enough to know how many balls I'd lose a round. I went a cheaper route in the E5 and glad I did. Same with the One Tour D. I don't know if they are better fits but they do really well.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Callaway Tour i(z) and Callaway HX DIablo Tour
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I look for Distance, accuracy and spin control. My drives I generate excess spin because of my attack angle and need help reducing off the tee.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I'm on THP a lot during the week and weekends. I play golf 1-2x a week but generally during the summer I get out more because the rates are cheaper and it's easier to get more holes in. Less people out there! I plan on puttin this ball through the paces. A big thing for me is off the tee. I generate enough spin and height on my irons shots that its not my first priority in a ball. I look so see how it reacts to good shots but more importantly tha bad ones.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? I play the Bridgestone B330-RX as I was fitted for this ball online, and at 2 different live fittings. I am very happy with it.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? I tested the Polora for THP and have tried the Penta and e-5 out on my own.

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? As with most people, I am looking for distance, feel, and control.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am on the golf course 4 to 6 times a week either at the range or playing, every visit to the range also involves at least an hour of chipping and putting with my own golf ball, so I would give feedback on all aspects of the game using the test balls. I am on THP almost daily and would submit pictures and also video comparisons to the B330-RX if chosen.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why?
Srixon Z Star, It jumps off the club with good stopping power on the greens. Also love the way it putts. Also like the Srixon Trispeed Tour balls because they are a great value.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently?
I have recently played the Taylormade TP Black LDP ball & Top Flite Freak. Not real crazy about the TM ball. I bought them both because there was a great deal on them online. I once found a top flite freak & was amazed at the distance - I hit it so far I think the group ahead of me picked it up!

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game?
I want good distance, with low spin off the tee, soft feel, high-flight would be nice, and enough spin on short irons & wedges to not roll off the green.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I play in a 9-hole league once a week after work & also get out for 18 holes about every weekend. I currently have a USGA 26 HCP. I would have no problem detailing many aspects of each ball I tested in very short time.

I currently play quite a few different balls, primarily the Taylormade Penta or Tour Burner, I sometimes play others when they're given to me, free is a price I can't turn down!
I've recently tested the Polara Ultimate Straight and Polara Ultimate Straight XS, I enjoyed trying a ball I didn't know much about before I tested it.
First and foremost is distance off the tee, but a close second is short game performane and lastly is feel of the cover. I can't say I'm in love with a soft feel or a very hard feel, I'm always looking for that in between feel.
I'm currently playing a round of golf a week with a few shorter 9 holers mixed in. I get to the range whenever time allows. I try and stay active on the forum and add as much as I can, with my twitter and facebook accounts I think I could do a good job of relaying my thoughts on testing not only on the forum but via other channels that the company would deem viable.

Bridgestone B330-S. It is a long ball and still has great greenside spin. It also is a very durable ball and can easily play 18 holes.

Taylormade Penta

I look for control off of the tee as far as spin rates go, but still be able to get greenside spin. Durability is important as well because I don't want to replace my ball every 3 holes.

I would put it directly head to head with the Bridgestone 330-S, and see how it holds up to my higher swing speeds as well as wedges. The most important factor will be short game control and how it will perform. WIth that said, the majority of the time will be spent around the green trying different shots to see how it performs in that aspect.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Nike One Tour D - onlinegolf offer, looked like a premium ball at a great price. As it turns out its not what it claims to be imo
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Titleist Pro V1x. Cant beat it, if only it was more durable!
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Durablity, solid feel when putting, ability to create spin/check around the greens.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I generally play 36 holes a week. 18 of which in competitions. Range once a week, short game practice at club once a week. Only a new member but as i said in my welcome post, i like talking about golf almost as much as i like playing, so intend to stick around for a long time!

I love testing like this! Well done mystery company and THP. I will not be participating in this one b/c I am in full on Callaway golf ball testing mode right now.

Good luck guys.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Nike One Vapor/Bridgestone 330 RX
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Trying some Bridgestones right now. RX, RXS, S
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Reasonable distance and control around the greens. I like soft spinny balls that compresses.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I´m playing at least twice a week for the rest of the summer and probably at the rangearea once a week. I´ll be sure to update the testing threads and compare the balls to the ones I usually game. It would be really fun to participate in this testing and share my experience with other THP:ers.

Thanks JB and GG for constantly spoiling us with fun contests and testing equipment. You guys rock!

Another great testing opportunity from THP!!!

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Bridgestone 330 RXS It gives me the most controlled distance off the tee and provides the right amount of feel and spin around the greens
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Polara, Taylormade Burner and Burner Tour, Callaway HX Diablo and HX Diablo tour
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Control from tee to green with a softer feel to it without sacrificing distance. The harder the ball the worse it will play for me
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Nothing like a good old fashioned comparison between different balls as well as stand alone testing. This would include comprehensive analysis of chipping, pitching, and putting as well as on course performance. I'm active on THP at all times of the day and night however night time activity varies due to family obligations

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? I am currently playing the Bridgestone 330 rx, I like the feel off the driver and so far it has proved to be durable.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Nike 20-xix, Srixon ad333, Gamer v-2, Bridgestone 330 rx, I'm trying to hit different price points.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I look for a ball that has good spin around the greens as well as durability in the cover.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 3-4 times a week on a regulation 9 as well as a par 3 9 hole course. I also spend about 45 minutes before each round working on putting, chipping and pitch shots around the green. If I were to be chosen I would continue my current regiment, but work in the new balls for comparison. I read the site several times daily, and have started replying to a few threads a day. I have really enjoyed the site and reading the commentary.

I recently switched from the DT Solo to the Burner LDP. I found a burner at my course and found it to be a few yards longer and felt a bit better on the greens.

I won a dozen Nike One Tour D and doxen Pro V1 at tournaments this year. I LOVE the One Tour D and think it is the best ball I have ever played. It is longer, straighter, and fell better than anything else I have used. The Pro V1 is great to, but for the money I like to One Tour D.

Anything that gives distance is a plus, but I already hit a long ball so it does not reign supreme. Something that gives me confidence on all shots from 100 yards and in is the ball that gets in my bag. I prefer low spin balls because my high ball flight usually stops balls dead on the green and fairway. I like feel to be mid. I don't like too soft and too hard, something in the middle.

I am a teacher so I am off all summer. I play a minimum of 4 rounds a week and have played daily for a couple of weeks. I usually hit the range a few times, but that doesn't really pertain to testing balls. I have an area beside my house about 60 yards long mowed down short to practice my short game feel and shots. I have pylons set up at 10 yard intervals all over so I have targets to hit at. I am usually out there everyday practicing and can use these balls to really give great feedback on all types of wedge shots whether I am on course or not. I hit the putting green for 20 minutes before every round so I would be able to roll a few hundred putts before rounds alone.
I am a fairly new member on the site, but I have been very active during my short tenure. I feel like I have been positive, encouraging, and tried to help others and take help that I have been given and apply it to the course. I would love an opportunity to further contribute to THP by providing top level feedback on these mystery golf balls.

Golf ball currently using and why?: Penta TP is my choice because of great feel around the greens, outstanding distance and overall a very well constructed ball.

Golf balls recently tested: Polara, which I absolutely hated and sent on to another THP'r and the optic yellow Bridgestone B-330 RX which I very much liked. I have also tested the Bridgestone e6 yellow and the e7, which i was pleased with both.

What do I look for in a golf ball for my game? A ball with great distance, feel around the green and a durable cover.

Testing plans: As they would have been had I been selected for the Burner 2.0 irons, would report after every round and on Facebook. I always give everything I have tested a very thorough review and would do the same here.

Maybe I'll get lucky this time...Thanks to the mystery company and THP for this opportunity.

Last edited:
Awesome opportunity. Thanks THP and mystery company(s)!

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Bridgestone E6 because I was fitted for it and the RXS at a Bridgestone ball fitting.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Srixon Z Star, Titleist SoLo, Srixon AD333
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Consistency around the greens, feel off irons and putter, controlled distance, affordability
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Plan will include daily use of the ball. I chip and putt daily in my little practice area. I play 2-3 times per week and would use the balls each round. I would write down the characteristics of the ball and report my findings here on the forums. Feel, accuracy, ball flight, distance, and spin are pretty important aspects of a golf ball and I would focus on those. Pics would be involved. I am fairly active and would expect daily to every other day posts about the ball. I have quite a few balls laying around so if people would like comparisons between test ball and ball X I could provide that info.

Looking forward to this test as always!

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Bridgestone B330RX/S. The RX provides great all around playability and distance. I'll go to the RXS if the greens are firmed up and I feel I need a bit more bite around the greens
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? My personal testing Bridgestone B330S and the Srixon ZStars yellows. Have tested the Bridgestone B330S, the blank Taylormade balls & the Polara balls for THP.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? A fair amount of durability, soft enough cover to provide some bite around the greens with chips and pitches, preferably a ball designed to work best in the 103 - 106 mph driver swing speed!
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Practice range, short game, and putting green at least once a week, a round during the week and the weekend is usually a competitive round of some type....so the test ball will see a variety of testing! I'm on THP almost everyday and usually chime in when I have something to contribute so reporting results is easy enough.

Many thanks to THP for all of the testing opportunities and the great information that is available on the site. Thanks to the ball company for allowing the forum to test and provide the feedback we need to buy the right gear for our affliction!

Last edited:
ProV1x - lower spin rate for more distance and better holding the line in the wind with full shots, Soft feel and high consistent and predictable spin rates around the green. has a nice soft feel with the putter.
Taylormade Penta
First - feel soft and responsive around the green, Second - good stopping control with full approach shots. but not too much uncontrollable spin with wedges that it becomes imposable to keep the ball on the greens with out spinning off the front or off the correct tier of the green. Third - Distance . Fourth - Good wind penetration.
I play at minimum 2 rounds but could be upto 6 per week during May trough Sept. So this means lots of on course testing. Will spend time comparing the short game properties between what balls I have in the bag and the test balls. I am new around here so I don't have much history or track record on my participation level, But if I get chosen I will bare the responsibility of the opportunity given. I have already in the short time discovered the wealth of information found on the forum and would like to be part of the process.

Another great testing opportunity from THP and the Mystery Company. As I'm in Morgan Cup mode, and having personally done such a poor job in the previous golf ball testings, I'm staying out this go-round.

Best of luck to those who ask to be chosen, and I look forward to following the review thread.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? I play the Nike 20xi-x because I was curious to try them out, and when I play them I score noticeably better than when I use other balls.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Tested? None. I have used burner and diablo balls regularly though.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Something that will go straight and long, but will also do what I want around the green.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am regularly on THP and on average post something every other day. I will test the balls by playing on the executive and championship courses at my club. I play 4-6 rounds a week, and will make sure I go out occasional evenings so I can play 2 balls and compare them from different lays.

Awesome contest, and I love the mystery lol.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? TaylorMade Penta. I like this ball because it has good distance of the tee, great spin and feel around the greens, it is durable and I love the ball flight with the Penta.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Bridgestone B330 and B330 RX, Polara, Srixon Z Star and Z Star XV.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Good distance of the tee with little driver spin and good spin on approach shots. I also love a ball that is soft around the greens.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I practice once or twice a week and get out to play about every other week. I would make this ball part of my short game practice routine and would put it in play to see how it responds on the course.

A HUGE thanks to THP and the mystery company!!!

Great testing opp! Thanks THP and mystery company!

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Bridgestone e7 - I was fitted for the B330 but I prefer a mid-range ball, and the e7 suits my high ball flight
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? - I have played the Bridgestone B330 and e7, the TaylorMade Tour Burner and Penta, The Titleist ProV, and the Srixon Z-Star X.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? - Penetrating ball flight without sacrificing greenside spin.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? - I will put these balls through a number of weeks of short game inspection through chipping, sand shots, and putting. I will then take them to the course and see what part of my game benefits and suffers from them as compared to my current ball of choice. My activity level on THP is substantial and I will continue to provide feedback and discussion throughout my experience with the balls.

Yet another great opportunity from THP and a mystery OEM! THP just keeps on bringing the tests, and good luck to all the potential testers here!

I'm going to step out of this one as I'll have my hands full reviewing the VR Pro Combos, and it wouldn't be fair to be doing 2 reviews at once.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Bridgestone B330RX. Having played the ProV for several years, my swingspeed has dropped as I've gotten older and I always thought I may be giving up some distance off the tee with this ball, but I loved them around the green. JB suggested I do a online fitting, so I did and was fit to the B330RX. This ball has given me back several yards off the tee and gives me what I'm looking for around the greens.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Been trying out the Bridgestone e6 yellow ball. It appears to be a little longer for me than the B330RX and it stills works good around the greens. The yellow color is great and the ball is very durable.

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I'm want a ball that offers me some distance off the tee with a mid to high 80's to low 90's SS, but yet offer enough spin around the green.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I'm very active on the site and play golf everyday. For testing different balls, I would more than likely put together a plan to maybe play one ball from the group each week before moving to the next ball. Would write weekly updates on each ball.

My current golf ball of choice is the Callaway HX Hot. I love the feel of both drives and iron shots with the ball, and am very accurate at times. Additionally, I shot my best game with an HX Hot (a 42, thru 9 holes).

I had a couple of Callaway Warbirds recently, which I lost, because I could not control the ball. I really enjoyed using the Titleist Pro V1. The ball had exceptional feel, ability to control, and distance. There is a good chance I will be mixing in more Pro V1's with the HX Hots, and switch over completely, eventually. I just purchased a dozen TaylorMade TP Pentas. I look forward to giving them a go on Monday morning!

In a golf ball I look for consistency off the club face, distance, and feel. Surrounding all of these is control and confidence. If I can look down on a golf ball and emit confidence in my swing that the ball will go in the general area that I want it to, I gain confidence in the ball.

I am currently on summer break from graduate school...so my time on the course is gradually increasing. I hope to hit 9-18 holes at least once a week. Additionally, I plan to go to the range 1-2 times a week (though, this really will have little influence on testing a particular golf ball). I joined this website a week ago, and have been hooked. I hope to become a regular on the forums over time and contribute positively!

As always, thank you THP and mystery golf ball company for this opportunity!

Last edited:
Another great opportunity from THP!

Currently have not chosen a golf ball. This is my first full year of diving back into the game and I have been running my own tests on golf balls throughout the summer and will be posting my results either shortly and continuing to update or a big results finding in September. If I had to choose one right now...it would probably be the Taylormade Penta because of the feel. I don't hit it longer than any other ball, but the feel is 2nd to none.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Titleist ProV1x (new and old gen---2nd favorite ball) Maxfli Tour and Tour XD, Bridgestone E6, Srixon ZStar X and ZStar Yellows. Other balls I have in the bag and ready to be tested are the Titleist ProV1 (new and last gen), Callaway Tour I(z), Bridgestone B-330 and B330 RX Yellow, Nike One Platinum, and Nike PD Super Soft (chose this one after watching my neighbor shoot 71 with it and stop these on a dime.) Balls I would like to try and add to the testing are the Nike 20XI, Taylormade Black TP, Bridgestone B-330s and E5, and of course the mystery ball company this thread is all about.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Feel and Durability. I don't care if one ball goes 265 off the tee and the other 270. I like a ball that will give me the control I seek around the greens while being able to last through 3 holes of play. Hate when I have to throw a $4 golf ball away after 3 holes because of how cut up it is.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am currently going through a testing of many different golf balls and this mystery ball would be put up against the balls I am currently testing or will test throughout the summer. I currently like the Penta, ProV1x, and B-330 so more than like the mystery ball will be tested against those balls and any other challengers that may arise. I will post results of head to head launch monitor readings and of course my thoughts on the balls feel, distance, durability, and overall performance on the course. I am not biased to any brand and am still trying to find the right ball for me so everyone at THP will get an honest review of the ball. If does not work for my game, it may for someone else and I will be happy to send the remaining test balls to another THPer for testing. I try to stay active on THP and it has been a little easier now that I am no longer substitute teaching for the summer and only working one job instead of two.

Thanks again THP for the opportunity

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? TM Penta. I enjoy the feel around the greens, distance off the tee and the amount of spin it gives me.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Pro V1, Pro V1x
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I feel the golf ball is the the most important part of any person game. For me it's all about the feel around the greens. I don't care if I lose 10-15 yrds off the tee but if there is no touch or spin around the greens.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? This product will be used at least 4-5 times a week. Either on the course or chipping and putting. I'm still a very new user to THP but has now become my everyday internet use. I've become very active and going to remain that way either way. Thanks

Good Luck everyone

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Srixon AD333. I like it off the tee and I like putting with it. Sometimes I play two balls and will also hit the Srixon Soft Feel. I like it better on iron shots and shots around the green. It rolls well when I putt as well as the 333 in my opinion. Kind of puts me in a quandry about which one do I use in a given round!
  2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? I guess technically I am still testing the two balls above as I just started playing both of them in May. I used Tommy Armour Silver Scots the last couple of years most of the time.
  3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? I need distance off the tee as I am not a bomber, but I want to be able to hold the greens and have a good roll when I am putting.
  4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I get to the course at least once a week. With my schedule I can rarely get more than two rounds in. I haven't yet this year. I am always here if the computer is on, post all over the board and can detail my findings of this mystery ball until I have lost them all. I play with my wife a lot of my rounds and can get a woman's perspective of the balls as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back