Forum Testing - Golf Balls

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? v1's, mojos
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? hippos, freaks, nike 1,2
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? distance, feel, spin
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I range it atleast 2 times a week, a lesson once a week, and play atleast once a week. Ill be able to report back each week. Im on the forum daily.

Im not surprised by the lack of people but I would think testing golf balls would be better than actual clubs. Like yeah you get fit for bran new clubs yet with golf balls you get to provide information for everyone. What I mean is that you get to do different stuff rather than testified a driver than gets used maybe 15 times a round. A ball is used every shot and can give more feedback than a club in my opinion

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? I am currently playing Srixon Z Star X tour yellow, Titleist Pro V1X

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Those are the only two that I have played in the past year or so.

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Distance and low spin off the tee. I have a pretty high swing speed so I need a low spin ball. Moderate soft feel around the greens. Durability is key as well. That was the main reason I switched from Titleist to Srixon.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I try to post a few times a day. Currently, I average 3.06 posts a day (just found that feature last week haha). I play several times a week and on the weekends. I also plan on spending quite a bit of time on the practice green as my chipping and putting have been abhorrent of late. I would also do a side by side ball comparison to the two that I play regularly. I would hit a shot with the mystery ball and a shot with my normal ball and then compare the two based on spin, distance, feel and of course durability.
Thanks THP FOR ANOTHER OPPORTUNITY TO TEST!!!

It better not be the shipping charges as much as JB and GG shell out!! I saw the post yesterday while eating lunch and was really torn if I should sign up since I was picked last week to test the Yonex. But when I opened the thread this morning and saw the turn out I entered. I still think others should be picked and take advantage of the opportunity.
I'm shocked that JB had to post thoughts, as he did, in a testing thread. I thought more would jump at a chance to share their thoughts.
I'm in, I'll test both the balls and the Yonex. Happy to help!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm with you on that. I almost didn't enter just because I will be testing the 2.0 irons, but with the small interest, I jumped in. I need some nice, new balls to hit with these irons, haha!

When I saw this testing opportunity I jumped right in. When i saw the shipping I told myself that this was not going to be a big one. I also thought balls people will think that if they got this they wouldnt get something later.Didnt want to believe it but it is showing.Sad,THP has so much to offer. I have stayed away from the big Testing because we got selected to do the Yonex Hybrid. Who cares if you have to pay for shipping. Its an awesome opportunity. I take Pride in Testing.I have bought things because of other peoples reviews as well. :sad:

If 5-10 dollars for shipping is going to make someone not want to test golf balls out then that is their loss. JB and GG spend God knows how much money to run this site and give us these opportunities. Like my buddy above said I take pride in reviewing things for the other members. When I saw the opportunity I jumped right on it. It is difficult to really test out alot of different balls to find one that works best for you because generally you have to buy a full dozen. The way I see it is regardless of the brand it is a new opportunity for me to see what else is out there.

Tap tap taparoo

If 5-10 dollars for shipping is going to make someone not want to test golf balls out then that is their loss. JB and GG spend God knows how much money to run this site and give us these opportunities. Like my buddy above said I take pride in reviewing things for the other members. When I saw the opportunity I jumped right on it. It is difficult to really test out alot of different balls to find one that works best for you because generally you have to buy a full dozen. The way I see it is regardless of the brand it is a new opportunity for me to see what else is out there.

Tap tap taparoo

+1 I think that about sums it up. Nice post.

Im not surprised by the lack of people but I would think testing golf balls would be better than actual clubs. Like yeah you get fit for bran new clubs yet with golf balls you get to provide information for everyone. What I mean is that you get to do different stuff rather than testified a driver than gets used maybe 15 times a round. A ball is used every shot and can give more feedback than a club in my opinion

A big difference between a driver and some golf balls, is how easy it is to lose them. I am not making excuses for people, and I seriously don't get why people wouldn't want to take advantage of a testing opportunity like this, but that could very well be a factor..

- Or maybe something silly like 10 bucks via PayPal is the problem.
- Or maybe they are SO in love with the Bridgestone fitting they received they simply couldn't part with their favourite ball
- Or maybe they only play balls numbered in the 40s.
- Or maybe they prefer the icy sensation of a scratched yellow range ball.

All the more chance for those who have signed up!

Tap tap taparoo

Couldn't have said it better myself. Like many have said, a huge thanks to everyone here at :thp: for providing us with these opportunities. The hard work and dedication to this site is extremely appreciated by everyone.

Yet another great testing opportunity from THP and an OEM - thanks guys!!

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? - I currenlty play a Callaway Tour i - I've tried many balls and have found that this ball and it's predecessors work for me really well around the greens.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? - ProV1x, Srixon Z Star

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? - Reasonable distance, but more important is feel around the green. That's the No1 thing for me.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? - I play once a fortnight at my local club where I play to an 11 handicap index. I also practice at the range twice a week. My testing would be integrated into this, alongside breaking in my new clubs which should arrive shortly. I am a relatively new member to THP, but feel I contribute well.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Callaway Tour I(S). I love the soft feel it provides off of every club, it gives me a great, penetrating trajectory off the tee and does not give me issues with side spin. It is very spinny off irons and wedges and around the greens, giving me some shot making versatility.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? HX Diablo, TaylorMade Penta, Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1X.

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Good distance, nice amount of spin off the irons, soft feel with a little bit of resiliency, and a durable cover.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am very active on THP. I log on often, post every day, and just generally like it here. I have been in on numerous testings for golf balls, and I think I have a pretty solid plan down. In this order-

1. I will test for feel off of every club.
2. I will test distance and controllability off every club.
3. I will check for spin from a variety of distances.
4. Full rounds of golf with the ball, noting its strengths and weaknesses.
5. I will test durability in a dedicated, 1 hour stress test, in which I basically put them through golf ball hell. Full wedges, into trees, off of concrete, out of sand, the works. If there is a flaw in the durability of the ball, I will find it.

Rinse and repeat.

I really like your testing plan, especially #5 "golf ball hell"! If chosen, I will do something similar, what a great way to test durability.

Tap tap taparoo

+4 or 5, or whatever. Great post, I completely agree with everything said.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Callaway Tour I(S). I love the soft feel it provides off of every club, it gives me a great, penetrating trajectory off the tee and does not give me issues with side spin. It is very spinny off irons and wedges and around the greens, giving me some shot making versatility.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? HX Diablo, TaylorMade Penta, Titleist Pro V1 and Pro V1X.

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Good distance, nice amount of spin off the irons, soft feel with a little bit of resiliency, and a durable cover.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am very active on THP. I log on often, post every day, and just generally like it here. I have been in on numerous testings for golf balls, and I think I have a pretty solid plan down. In this order-

1. I will test for feel off of every club.
2. I will test distance and controllability off every club.
3. I will check for spin from a variety of distances.
4. Full rounds of golf with the ball, noting its strengths and weaknesses.
5. I will test durability in a dedicated, 1 hour stress test, in which I basically put them through golf ball hell. Full wedges, into trees, off of concrete, out of sand, the works. If there is a flaw in the durability of the ball, I will find it.

Rinse and repeat.

So this Testing Plan should probably just be the standard-bearer for all current and future golf ball testing. :good:

I would be more than happy to test any of your equipment if you should send it my way. Unfortunately I live in Denmark!!
My golf course is 5 min away, and do have access to Simulators and trackman. If you want people outside the US to test stuff, let me know :act-up:

Golf ball testing

Golf ball testing

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Titliest Pro V1x - good distance and brilliant feel around the greens.

2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Srixon Ad-333, Taylor Made Penta

3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Distance and ball control on full shots into green.

4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I practice several times a week on short game and also play approximately twice per week; I would test and provide feedback on each aspect of the game. I am a new member on THP so activity level not as high as it will be going forward!

Im certainly with DevRickus on this. The proposed shipping charges are such a tiny amount to pay to provide feedback for all you guys n gals on here.

Please folks (aimed at any who don't like the shipping charge) don't be so narrow minded and expect everything for nothing. Yes it may cost you a few $ to help everyone else out, but ultimately your report may well save someone the heartache of spending loads of money on balls that they end up not liking. Just look at it another way, if some testers on here tested a set of irons that you had your heart set on and ALL reported that they were crap, you would then probably not buy them and so save loads of money. In life there are times when we all have to help others.

Rant over. For today anyway.

I would be more than happy to test any of your equipment if you should send it my way. Unfortunately I live in Denmark!!
My golf course is 5 min away, and do have access to Simulators and trackman. If you want people outside the US to test stuff, let me know :act-up:

Sign up! I've recently been selected for testing, and I look where I am! THP is spreading the love all over the world.

I really hope little things like the fact it's a ball test or shipping fees aren't stopping people from joining in with this one. Testing is a great opportunity to share with all THPers, as well as a learning experience for yourself!

I lie something that Jacob said about testing the ball off trees, concrete, sand and putting it through golf ball hell. These are lots of fun things to do in a golf ball testing if you just put a little thought into it. I have tested two stes of golf balls for THP and hade a ball doing it. One has even become my game ball. Unlike a club or something along those lines this is something that you can really go all out on and try to tear up. It will also provide some insight to different types of materials and construction methods out there. Heck you can even put one in the water and see if it floats if you want to!...LOL You can also help out other players with your thoughts, comments and answers to questions. A good well written honest review is what helps not only us but THP and keeps the OEM's coming back for more. Testers thoughts have even been used in OEM ads. so if you want to help out THP, JB, GG and all of us other Hackers...test test and more tests. It really is alot of fun

Last edited:
Golf ball testing is some of my favorite testing. How often do you get to do every shot with one piece of your arsenal? I always keep one ball from my testing, a little trophy case. Plus you never know who you might help as golf balls really pertain to everyone.

I've done it a couple times and enjoyed it.

Sign up! I've recently been selected for testing, and I look where I am! THP is spreading the love all over the world.

I really hope little things like the fact it's a ball test or shipping fees aren't stopping people from joining in with this one. Testing is a great opportunity to share with all THPers, as well as a learning experience for yourself!

Damn mate, didn't see that one. I thought only US residents were allowed to test.

1. I currently play the Srixon AD333
2. I have tested the Titleist NXT, Pro V1X, Bridgestone E6 & BX-330
3. At odd times I slice the ball making tour balls unforgiving at times, however I do like their stopping power on greens. So I am looking for a ball with low spin of drives, and a lot of spin on greens :act-up:
4. Testing plan: I would definitly use my golf clubs launch monitor and look at the spin numbers on drives, and wedges. Then go putt to see how the ball rolls, and pitch a little too to se how it works on the green for myself. Then play a few holes. Repeat the process a couple times a week. As for THP activity, I log in almost daily, it is because of your testing and reviews that I now play the Srixon Z-Star Driver & FW plus the Mashie!! I could however write some more posts.

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? Pro V1 and 1x. I like the feel of the ball from tee to green and especially like the spin/control of the ball with my wedges.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Various TM balls and the Nike 20xi
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? Feel. I like to be confident in the ball in any situation. If I had to pick just one thing, I would say the softness of the ball around the greens. I have a lot of wedge shots and chip shots and want to be confident that the ball, if hit correctly, will do what I want it to do.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play golf several times a week and will put the ball through many different situations. Since it is very important to me for the ball to be great from the driver all the way through the putter, I will make sure to hit a wide variety of shots with the ball. I will also take regular pictures of the balls I am using and post the feedback on here and facebook. I am relatively new to THP, but greatly enjoy reading the posts about various topics. I also enjoy the "real" feedback given by the club testers and it helps me make my purchasing decisions.

Thanks for the opportunity!

1. What is your current golf ball of choice and why? I normally play the Callway Warbird Plus only because its been so cheap in the golf stores that are close by. I don't really see anything special about the ball but the price. I didn't feel I was a good enough golfer before to validate spending more on golf balls. Thats changed in the recent months.
2. What other golf balls have you tested recently? Bought some Bridgestone E5 balls the other day and I really love the feel around the greens, I haven't noticed any distance increase, but that likely has more to do with my swing. Also received some Penta Tp balls the other day and they really jump off my irons and the feel around the greens is even better than the E5. I'm concerned I'm gonna fall in love with them and that would be an expensive relationship.
3. What do you look for in a golf ball for your game? First thing is durability. I absolutely hate a ball that falls apart of scuffs up easily. Second is feel around the greens. I'm not sure there's any ball that can completely help me with distance, but the best part of my game is from 150 yards in so thats where I want the ball to perform the most.
4. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?I plan to test these out at all the local courses as well as the practice drills I go through in my back yard. I'll definitely put this up against the Penta's and the E5's I have to see how they hold up and if I notice any differences between them. I'm sure I'll compare them to the cheaper balls I have as well. My activity level on THP keeps increasing daily. May not post everyday, but most of them and I only see myself becoming more and more involved on the site.

Thanks again to :thp: and the mystery manufacturer for this opprotunity.

I lie something that Jacob said about testing the ball off trees, concrete, sand and putting it through golf ball hell. If I remember correctly in one testing one was even cut in half. These are lots of fun things to do in a golf ball testing if you just put a little thought into it. I have tested two stes of golf balls for THP and hade a ball doing it. One has even become my game ball. Unlike a club or something along those lines this is something that you can really go all out on and try to tear up. It will also provide some insight to different types of materials and construction methods out there. Heck you can even put one in the water and see if it floats if you want to!...LOL You can also help out other players with your thoughts, comments and answers to questions. A good well written honest review is what helps not only us but THP and keeps the OEM's coming back for more. Testers thoughts have even been used in OEM ads. so if you want to help out THP, JB, GG and all of us other Hackers...test test and more tests. It really is alot of fun

The golf ball being cut in half was not endorsed by THP. One of the testers did it on his own and posted videos of it on YouTube. He was reprimanded for it and he took the videos down.

The golf ball being cut in half was not endorsed by THP. One of the testers did it on his own and posted videos of it on YouTube. He was reprimanded for it and he took the videos down.

Why? What was the harm in that?

Why? What was the harm in that?

It was asked and since the ball was unknown and unlabeled it was asked not to do. It was about reviewing a ball on results only. Not on ingredients and specs.

It was asked and since the ball was unknown and unlabeled it was asked not to do. It was about reviewing a ball on results only. Not on ingredients and specs.

that was a great ball testing idea to have an unmarked ball. I hope someone will want to try that again in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back