Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently game Callaway X-20's

2. What is your handicap index? 18

3. What do you look for in an iron set? First of all they have to look good at address and inspire confidence, of which my current irons do not. Second, as i am getting better at this game i am learning how work the ball, the x20 is not really capable of that. Just looking for a step up from my GI irons currently and these fit the bill.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think these are the perfect set of irons just by looking at them. Thin topline, unable to see cavities at address is definitely appealing. The chrome looks gorgeous with the roughed up cavities, love the 2 tone. Oh, and the blades are ridiculous looking in a good way. It doesnt hurt to have those new sweet grooves either.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well it is golfing season here in Cali in full form. So i will be playing 2 times a week along with going to the range often. This is all aided by my flexible work schedule. As for activity level here, i plan to increase that a lot as i play more and more. I joined a couple of months ago and already have learned so much here and would love the opportunity to return the favor. I would give detailed reports everytime i got to use these clubs.
Thanks for the opportunity THP and Nike!!

1. What irons do you currently play? Cobra CB Carbon's
2. What is your handicap index? 6.0
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I love the players look but I always want that extra forgiveness that no muscle-back can give you. These fall perfectly in to that zone.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Stunning, all 3 versions of the club look great, that is a rarity with combo sets of the past. They have that "too pretty to touch" vibe going on lol.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Testing plan.
Friday afternoons will include either a range session or a round if one is available, followed by thoughts that night. Saturdays and Sundays rounds will be played on one of them with a range session/or lesson on the other. Notes will be cumulated for a larger writeup on Monday or Tuesday. If I get the chance I try and get in a range session sometime during the work week but it depends on the week.
I'm active on THP usually for at least 2 hours a day but I have always been reserved on posting unless I have recent or valid info on a product. I believe owning that valid product would increase my posting 10 fold. Since Customer Support is part of my everyday life I can understand the responsibility needed to support the THP fanbase and I believe I'll have the goods to keep everyone happy :call-me:

Well, I have to say that I'm not going to "Par"take in this one. Since I just got my new MB's and am focusing on them. Good luck to all. I look forward to reading your reviews.

1. What irons do you currently play? tm burner 09
2. What is your handicap index? 13.7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? feel over everything and to be forgiving
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? there a smooth looking club which on looks alone inspire confidence
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? im always on thp and post on subjects of interest i try to be as active as possible. having only been a member here for 6 months id like to think of myself as a regular.
my testing plan well i play weekly and hit the range weekly and hit balls into the net in the garden daily i think thats why i have been able to come along way in a short time dedication to the sport. to start of with id play them against my burners then on there own to get a better feel for them once i was used to the club id work on trying to work the ball more and see if the club could help me move on to the next level as i have been trying new clubs (not these yet) but havent quite found that club yet. id also like to get the camera out and film some of the testing as videos can be easy to understand than just words

thanks to nike and thp for this opportunity

Last edited:
Another awesome testing opportunity for some lucky THP members!! Big thanks to Nike and THP for hooking us up!

I'm going to bow out of this one due to my very inconsitent ball striking at the moment. Best of lucky to all who enter! Thanks again to Nike and THP!!

1. What irons do you currently play? I play Taylormade 2009 Tour Preferred irons
2. What is your handicap index? 12
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I really like a traditional look, minimal offset and a thinner topline but with enough forgiveness that I feel confident over the ball.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think these irons are gorgeous! I think they are a perfect blend of classic looks combined with some forgiveness built into the set.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If I'm chosen to test these irons I will take them to the range twice a week and play nine holes at least every week and give detailed feedback on performance, looks, feel, etc. I am on the website every day but I don't know a lot of people and so I think I'm more of an observer than a contributor usually. This would be a great opportunity for me to be able to get to know others through my feedback on the irons and their comments.

Thanks to Nike and the THP for great opportunities like this.

Another great opportunity for some lucky THP'ers!

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping G10's are my primary clubs but I practice with Titleist 704 CB's fairly often
2. What is your handicap index? 16 (and hopefully on the way down!)
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for something that is at least somewhat forgiving and that I feel comfortable swinging.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I find the look of these irons to be quite appealing. They are a simple, classic design that most anyone can appreciate.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My testing would include at least 18 holes per week of course time as well as range time (I've set up a 170 yard range in my yard). In addition, I would do some side by side comparisons (both on the course and the range) against the 4 sets of irons I currently own. Also, I could offer fellow golfers in my Tuesday scramble league, the opportunity to hit these irons and relay their feedback to THP forum readers.
My number of posts don't tell the full story of my THP activity level as I'm on here most of the day browsing the forums.

It kills me to say this but I will also be passing on this opportunity to test these irons. Future congratulations to the testers selected and I can't wait to hear more about these. If these are as good as I have heard during the outing then all the testers should have a ton of fun testing these.

Special thanks to THP and Nike for allowing us this opportunity to do this testing!

Another great opportunity from THP!

I will respectfully decline the opportunity. I'm finally starting to get my new sticks figured out and can't afford the time to test some new ones.

I will definitely be reading the testing results page when it is up though!

Best of luck to all!

1. What irons do you currently play?
TaylorMade R9 3-pw

2. What is your handicap index?
Ghin 10.2

3. What do you look for in an iron set?
I look at appeal and performance almost equally. Knowing that many of today's iron sets difference in length at most maybe a club, I don't want the set that is the longest, but workable and slightly forgiving. My iron play has developed into the strongest part of my game and I know looking down at beautiful irons at address can only help my mental game.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
The most appealing set currently available on the market. The topline of the mid to longer irons is somehow so perfect, even though they aren't classic blades. The shorter irons are clean and absolutely stunning. The design isn't overly dramatic and busy with extra colors. These irons are what clubs basically should look like.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I currently play and practice everyday. For the next few months, I will not be working, taking no classes, and golf will be my life. I will be able to do side by side tests of the R9s and the Pro Combos daily, and can answer all questions other forum members have easily within a day or two. I am on THP/twitter/facebook multiple times per day and will actively post updates to testing more than a few times a week. I have unlimited access to all munis here in town (6) and unlimited access to a grass-only driving range. I guarantee weather will cooperate, as we only have a short winter season and long summer season here with very little rain.

For the first two weeks, I will be doing a "break in" session. Getting used to varying distances with each club and possibly lower/higher trajectories and seeing how it feels to work the ball.

For the next few months, I will be playing different courses and different tee boxes. From shorter length courses (6200-6600), I will be focusing mainly on the longer/mid irons. The driver will stay in the bag for any hole under 450 yds which means I'll be teeing off strictly with long irons (Weak 3w player). From longer length courses (6700-7300), I will be focusing on mid/short irons. Good drives on even longer par 4s leave me no more than a short iron in, mid iron at most. Some of the courses are very wide open, and two of the courses are tree lined with narrow fairways.

Plenty of opportunities will be present to test trajectory, dispersion, workability and distance to the R9s.

Thanks THP and Nike for this great opportunity to test out some elegant clubs!

I loved the Nike Pro Cavity Irons at Demo Day and wanted to hit these so badly but they were checked out everytime I went to look for them! That being said, I'd love to test these so here goes...

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike Ignite w/ Graphite Shafts
2. What is your handicap index? 32.5
3. What do you look for in an iron set? As a high capper, I want irons that are easy to hit and get up in the air as well as provide a lot of forgiveness on mis-hits.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Absolutely beautiful. The pocket and split cavities on the long to mid irons are simple yet elegant and the blade look of the short irons inspires confidence when pin-seeking.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My driving range is open late, lit, and is only 5 minutes from the house so easy access there. I get out to the course at least once a week, usually on the weekends, but have recently also been getting a late round in after work during the week and would definitely continue that trend if given the opportunity to test these clubs. I'm on the forum at least once a day with active posts and am on multiple times for two to three hours at a time when the work schedule allows.

Crossing my fingers but regardless this is another great opportunity thanks to THP and Nike! Awesome!

Another excellent testing opportunity from THP, I think these irons a bit over my head but I am very excited to read all of the reviews once the testing begins.

Another great THP and Nike offering.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play the Titleist AP2's
2. What is your handicap index? My current index is .53
3. What do you look for in an iron set? My criteria is usually a somewhat rounded toe, little or a slight progressive offset, feel
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These irons set up very nice to my eyes with little offset and the required rounded toe. These were on my short list to try out before I purchased the AP's and the reason is that the shop I go to did not bring in any demo's.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I try to be active on THP at least once per day and I go to the site multiple times per day. My testing plan would be very similar to my daily routine. I practice usually on Monday, play 9 on Tuesday, practice on Wednesday and Thursday and play 18 Friday evening and Saturday morning. During my practice routine I hit the PW, 8 iron, 6 iron and 4 iron one day and then the other day I will start with the SW, 9 iron, 7 iron and 5 iron. I have owned quite a few sets over the past year (Titleist MB's, CB's, Adams CB1's, Mizuno MP63's and MP68's) which would enable to give a very detailed and honest review on how the Nike's compare on feel, looks and playability. My iron game is by far the strongest part of my game which will enable me be able to write and detailed review with updates each week. I would have no problems with the testing requirements and would take the job seriously.

Thanks JB, THP and Nike for the chance.

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade TP CB 4-AW
2. What is your handicap index? 14ish
3. What do you look for in an iron set? First is feel, they have to feel great. Second is looks, they have to look great. Third is playability, are they consistent through the set (e.g. swing weight, distance).
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These are by far the nicest Nike offerings. I feel that the players shape could be a scary thing for some, but they look very playable to me. The cavity does nto stick out, it is well hidden. The blades are sessy thigns of art.
Testing plan would consist of three areas: Feel, distance, and durability. I am a feel player so my irons have to feel great. Second, I want consistant distance from my swing. Third, is duarbility, I realize that spending a large amount of money should lead to a product lasting for a loner period of time. To test this, I would play at least one round a week, and minimum 2 range sessions (at least 200 balls). That is what I currently do and have been picking up my play with the weather turning nice. As a potential rookie club testor, I feel that these areas are deciding factors in my club selection for the next few years. You need to play the stuff in order to review it. Summer golf trips are great! I would put these head to head with my CB (TM homer, I am). Do these Nike's have what it takes? Looks would indicate they would be strong contenders...

Activity level: I am on this site for at least two hours a day. I used half my data plan reading and responding to the fine folks here. It has actually become a staple of my work and study breaks to come here. I post a few reponses a day, not because I have too, I like too. I am always being educated, thats critical. I only joined this site a few months ago, glad I did.

Thanks to THP and Nike. Nike has risen up the ranks in my books over the past few months. The method putter is so close to being bagged. This could be the first stage of a complete swap from TM to Nike...

I look forward to seeing the reviews from those selected. I can say that your reviews have had much influence on what I choose to purchase (VR Pro Driver is a click away).

Mark

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Tommy Armour EVO 845 v-31
2. What is your handicap index? 15
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for a set that feels good in my hands and one that I feel comfortable with when standing over the ball. I also like a combo set where you have blades in the lower irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I love the looks of the clubs especially the new grooves. I am interested to see if they feel any different when hitting.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I currently play golf about 4 times a week. During testing I would be able to test each club in a variety of different situations based on the course I play. I am new to THP, but have found that I check it several times a day, I wish I would have started this years ago!

---I currently play the Callaway X-22 irons, 5-PW.

---No true official index, though I play to about a 30.

---I need forgiving long irons, but I like to be able to play draws and fades from the 6 iron up. I also like to be able to hit high or low with the short irons.

---Simply stunning. I think that the long irons look great, and Nike has done a fantastic job making the long irons look like a true GE club while still including a forgiving cavity. This trend continues with the mid irons. The short irons are some of best looking irons on the market right now, bar none. The look mean and scream performance.

I plan to test the irons more or less every day on the range or in the field, with one or two course course testings per week. I will focus on the key aspects Nike hopes to achieve with each club-type. I will focus on extreme workability with the short irons, look for a decent balance in the mid irons, and look for more forgiveness in the long irons, with testing setups designed to test each. I will naturally look for distance in each club type. I will test the effectiveness of the grooves on my home course, which has relatively fast and firm greens. I will also test the clubs versatility in close, by checking the ease of bump and run chip shots, especially with the short irons. Testing on feel will be done by me and two or three other players, with individualized reports on each club-type.

I am a very active THP member, and I log on more or less every day, and have so far averaged more than 9 posts per day. I have no problem posting daily updates, and have an active Twitter account on which I can also post daily updates.

1. What irons do you currently play? nike machspeeds
2. What is your handicap index? 14.7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? good distance, turf interaction.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? they are sweet looking! clean, with a sharp looking face. A very sharp club to look at.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Ill throw them in the bag and take em to the range 3 times a week, and post my thoughts a few times a week with a good weekly review summing up the weekend rounds with them.

Wowww. I've had my eyes on these since I first heard about them and then became much more interested after hearing the rave reviews from Demo Day. Huge thanks to THP and Nike for this opportunity!!!

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Adams A7 5-PW with stiff TT Players Lite shafts.
2. What is your handicap index? 6.9
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for confidence. By this I mean I want an iron set that provides me immense amounts of confidence to execute my shot with any iron in the set. The confidence comes from a combination of variables. These variables for me are: forgiveness, feel/sound, ball flight, and on-course performance.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think these irons are straight sessy. These irons would definitely "get it". haha
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My testing plan for the irons would be comprehensive. I have three courses with ranges close enough to my house that I could walk to. I would go to the range 2 times per week and play 2 rounds per week. After each of these sessions I will post a detailed synopsis of the experience with the irons. This would be great for my game also. I also have the stats for all my previous rounds and would have them for my rounds with these irons. This would give me a great way to see my numbers improve (scores, GIRs, par 3 scoring) which I'm sure they would with these sticks. Along with sharing my reviews and answering any questions on THP I will also post reviews and promote the testing on Twitter and Facebook. I'm extremely active on all three. I have an iPhone so I don't go more than 30 minutes without checking posts on THP and my Twitter timeline. As for Facebook I also have access at all times via my phone and am alerted by a push notification anytime something happens related to my account. All in all, I'm about as active as it gets and I have literally zero obligations to get in the way of testing these irons.

Thanks again to THP and Nike!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Taylormade Tour Burner
2. What is your handicap index? 9.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiveness, distance, slim top line, low loss of distance/feel on mishits.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These sticks look slick!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If chosen to test the Nike VR Pro Combo Irons, I plan to carry them along side my current irons and hit two shots per shot while on the course, and also do the same at the driving range. I'll note distance, workability, forgiveness, feel and any other pros or cons about the irons vs. my current setup. I will more than likely also allow other playing partners to take a few cuts with these irons, which will allow me to get more feedback from a range of lower and higher handicaps than my own. I'm always online (I'm an IT Technician!) Facebook, Twitter...always connected.
I currently play golf at least 3 or 4 times per week, I'm in one league on Thursdays, and will enter at least 5 tournaments this year. I'm on THP every day, all day. At work and at home. I don't always find the need to post, but do enjoy posting on topics I like and take time to read reviews and feedback on products I'm interested in or that others are interested in, so that I have some knowledge about all the new equipment that is out. I've really been waiting for that "big break" to become a tester, and really post my thoughts about a piece of equipment, day after day, post upon post. I feel that becoming a tester would really give me a chance to break free and stand out on THP, something I've been wanting to do for awhile now.

Thanks THP and Nike for making this happen!

Taylormade R9
Feel is number one, it doesn't matter if you have the newest most expensive clubs from the top name brands if they don't feel good to you when hitting the ball, tech advances is second
They look great, like players irons, something you would see on tour
I play a round 2-3 times weekly and visit the driving range once per week, I would plan on taking these to the range first to get a feel for them, get my distances down with them and TONS of short game practice since this is usual the area I excel in and write about my initial reaction on THP. Once I have a feel for them then I hit the course to see how they perform, shot shaping, distance, trajectory, spin, looks and feel would be the way I would asses these irons. I have written some reviews on THP for products I have bought and testing I have done on my own currently getting ready to update a long term review on some very popular grips before I replace them. With Irons though I think I would need to be writing up a review or update after each experience with them in order to get the information out to the members of THP but also because each round will be different some experiences good and some bad, then a final overall review.

Cannot wait to see if those selected give these a silver medal lime a certain publication. I think they deserve higher on looks alone

1 irons I currently play- taylormade rac ht
2 handicap- 20.5
3 what I look for in a iron set- I like a nice combination of forgiveness and workablilaty
4 looks of these irons- I think this is one of the better looking set of irons out now. I like how the set flows together from long to short irons and the short irons. look really nice in this set.
5 testing plan and activity on Thp- my testing plan would be to hit the range atleast once a week and I have been playing 2-3 times a week here lately. if I get chosen to be a tester I will play 3 days a week and give in depth feed back after each round or range session. My activity on Thp has gone up recently and I like the input I get from other members. I plan on keeping my activity as much as I can I enjoy Thp and the wealth of knowledge I am receiving from this site. Thanks again for a wonderful opportunity to review a great product.

Taylormade 300 Forged 3-PW, Titleist 56* wedge
7.1 note, based on internet calculator and by doubling 9 hole rounds to be 18 hole scores, not an official handicap index. Alternate method of combining 9 hole rounds came up with handicap index of 11.5
Thin top lines, but not overly small club heads (nor should they be gigantic). Something in between player's irons and game improvement irons. I prefer my lofts to be standard, and not completely jacked up. A comfortable swing weight is important, and it is also crucial that I can cut through the turf without breaking my wrists. I like when my divots come with a smooth motion, not with a 'jerk' through the turf. So a good leading edge and a thinner sole than game improvement irons is also something I look for.
On looks alone, I like that these clubs have a more classic look. I don't like clubs with a lot of flashy colors and cavity backs that put designs in the metal like flames on the hood of a car. Just give me a classic looking iron with a basic logo and I'm good to go. I suspect the soles on the long irons will be a little too big for my eye, but it may be worth it for the forgiveness in the longer irons.
First, for the testing plan. I have a season pass to my local municipal course, and a season pass to a nice driving range. In addition, I play league at a nice course where my driving range is at. I try to get at least 2 days a week in at the driving range, 1 day playing at the local municipal, and 1 day (league) playing the nicer course. That's my minimum golf schedule for the week, and it would not change with testing (although I always hope to play more than my minimum schedule).

As for my focus on testing. First, I would pretty much dive into the adjustment, and play the Nike irons exclusively for at least one week. I don't anticipate needing much more time for adjustment than that. Second, the driving range I go to has lots of demo clubs that are freely available to try out, so I would probably compare the Nike's to not only my current irons, but also to some other irons, like the Calloway Diablo's and TM TP line. Assuming they play as well (and not substantially worse) than my current irons, I would guess that I would play the Nike's exclusively for the rest of the summer.

As for my activity on THP, it would be similar to what I have now. Every weekday morning, I get on THP to start my day at work and do my morning round of postings. I try to pay particular importance to threads of people's goals and lessons. I also post weekly in my own 'goal oriented' thread. I suspect I would post weekly on my thoughts on the Nike irons if I were testing them. I would also add the testing thread to my morning routine to try and answer questions from other forum members.

And one last thing, as can be seen by the length of this post, I tend to be a bit of a rambler in my posts.

1. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland TA2, Dynamic Gold S300 ; Cleveland VAS 2 iron, OEM Diamond flex(stiff); Nike VR SW 56/10; Nike SR 60/10
2. What is your handicap index? now: 19 and dropping; before a 4.5 year layoff: 10.2 USGA index
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Forgiveness in the long irons; workability through out the set; crisp feel at impact; I prefer D2 swing weight. The top line must be thin, or at least appear that way. Smaller heads are more appealing than giant GI types.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I have recently been asking my Pro about them. They look, in my hands, to be a good fit. The satin/chrome finish is not my favorite, but I am a function first kind of guy. I carried a $10 Pine Meadow 64* wedge when no one else I played with had anything more than a sand wedge!
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Activity level on here is ramping up. I just signed up a month or so ago. I am on here daily now. As for testing, I just rejoined my old club, and will be playing 3 or 4 times a week from now on. I do not go in to work until 12:30pm, so I can squeeze in practice rounds during the week when there are fewer people on the course. If I get to test these irons I will try them from each set of tees, Blue being my typical starting point. I know my targets/distances blindfolded on my course, so I will have an easy comparison for distance & accuracy. I have a Bushnell laser for distance measurement, too. The course is short enough to play irons only, and I would hope for a 2 iron to come with the set! To be successful on our course it is a must to work the ball both ways and to be able to hit sky high shots as well as low runners. With blind shots over full growth trees and a 30 yd wide par 5, control is key. I will be able to post after each round, assuming I get the opportunity to test the Pro Combo's.

Last edited:
Seven sets of irons, that's incredible. I love to see companies stepping up and seeing the value that THP and it's members provide. I'm speechless at what is going on with this forum!

1. What irons do you currently play? Cleveland CG7 BP Tours w/ KBS 130

2. What is your handicap index? 8

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Look, forgiveness and accuracy.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Eye-catching. When I first saw the irons, I immediately reached for them, thought how pretty they were and just had to hit them. I've had a chance to see these up close and they are absolutely beautiful.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? From the range to the course, I would give the irons the full workout they deserve. I'd hit every shot I am capable of and test their performance based on my own personal thoughts (feel, forgiveness, turf interaction and the such). I have access to an amazing practice facility in a climate conducive to year-round play.

I have access to an indoor launch monitor and golf simulator, so I would also provide no nonsense data that can be used comparatively. You can't argue data feedback in a controlled environment where you aren't affected by wind, humidity and different grasses. I play a few times a week and I practice as much as possible. I'm a very active golfer and don't just write about.

In the end, good, honest feedback is what I would give. I think all irons deserve fair and unbiased testing and that is what I would offer.

I am an active and helpful member on this forum and have been on the site for nearly 3 years. I would help out with other member's questions and be able to assist in all matters pertaining to questions, testing and the such.

Being a part of the Morgan Cup, I am not sure I am the best tester, given my commitment to preparation. Depending on the timing of the arrival of the irons, I would like to be considered and if chosen would give them the attention they deserve.

Thank you again to THP and Nike for another amazing opportunity.

Back