Forum Testing - Nike VR Pro Combo Irons

1. What irons do you currently play?
Wilson Staff Di9 5-PW
2. What is your handicap index?
3. What do you look for in an iron set?
Distance and Consistency
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons?
Never used Nike clubs before but have to say these clubs are pretty sexy
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP?
I golf at least 1-2 times a week and always hit a bucket on the range before hand. Also im on the forum the majority of the day while "working" and post quite often.

1. What irons do you currently play? Wilson Staff Di9's
2. What is your handicap index? Holding steady at a 13.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? First and foremost, I always look for an iron that can give me above-average distance. Forgiveness would certainly rank as the next priority as, well, my golf game needs a bit of forgiveness from time-to-time. I'm a big believer in having a good mental balance in everything I do so I need a set of irons that inspire confidence for me. So, the appearance and feel of an iron at address are certainly a big factor in whether or not I will play a set.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Oh, they're beautiful. See, I'm a bit biased - my college colors are red and black so naturally I love everything incorporating said colors. And, as a recent college graduate, I'm thinking Nike did a fantastic job of incorporating my school's colors! In all seriousness, they have such a clean, chic look that I greatly desire in a set of irons. I've seen them in person and they're certainly a confidence inspiring set of clubs. I love that.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well, I'm fortunate enough to work at a world-class resort and golf facility so I have unlimited access to 36 holes of golf, including a top-100 golf course in the United States. I am able to take my time on the course and hit as many practice shots as I desire - they actually encourage us to play two-ball golf as long as the course isn't crowded. I have just recently purchased a new set of irons, the Wilson Staff Di11's (another board favorite) and think it'd be absolutely fantastic to compare my game with the two. I bought the Di11's based on the fantastic reviews of the testers here at THP and am grateful for the wonderful work they did. So, having said that, I'd love to provide someone with similar feedback to what looks like an absolutely awesome set of irons. It's all about being dedicated to the product you're testing and providing in-depth, thorough feedback. THP has had so many fantastic testers that give an honest, thoughtful review on the wonderful products provided. In the Di11 testing thread, I particularly enjoyed the testers who kept track of their round with the irons hole-by-hole. It was great to read such an analysis, learning what shots worked for them with these irons, what club they were using from certain distances, etc. So, that'd certainly be something I'd incorporate into my testing. I mean, really, we're all pretty golf-obsessed people here so it's all about being dedicated and having a good time with your testing product. Bottom line, it'd be a lot of fun!

1. What irons do you currently play? I am currently using Nike CPR Irons

2. What is your handicap index? I am a 20-24 mostly.

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Performance. I have used my Cavity Back CPR's and feel that i am missing a little on distance and shape.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Beautiful to say the least. The stance of the club heads through out the set are really clean and the lines are on point. Amazing Looks.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I currently play once a month and with the chance to try new clubs I could take that to twice a month. I really enjoy playing the same 3 courses one being my home(Eagle Watch), so being able to see my performance with the new Irons. Also trying a new course would enable me to see how well I play outside my comfort zone and really use the clubs. I figure my chances are slim on this as I am new to THP, but no matter what I plan on staying here for great information on products and the occasional tip for helping me improve my play. Thanks for the chance to enter a fun contest!

HOLY COW! AWESOME! I am dying to check these out! I had the original pro combos and miss them a little bit now and again...

1. What irons do you currently play? PING I10
2. What is your handicap index? 3.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Slim top line, something I'm able to control the trajectory especially the shorter irons.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? AWESOME! Love the progression through the set.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play a relaxed round on Fridays trying shots working on the game, usually playing multiple balls. Sundays are reserved for tournaments and skins games. So I will get some relaxed play and test them in the heat competition with these irons on a weekly basis. I have been consistently active with the topics I am most interested in on this forum since I joined... and plan on continuing... Let's be honest, what else am I going to do at work?

1. What irons do you currently play? Adams A3OS
2. What is your handicap index? 15
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Eye appeal. The sound when you strike the ball correctly. The ability to make shots.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Superbly crafted. I would be proud to display them at the course.
5. Tell us about your testing plan and activity level on THP? I play 2-3 rounds per week on various courses around my area. I would share my thoughts on the clubs performance at least once a week.

Callaway Diablo Forged

A blend of forgiveness and workability. Plus great feel.

They are a good looking set of clubs. I think they look like they'll solve the problem a lot of us tweeners have which is they look like they allow us to be "players" on the irons we're comfortable with and "hackers" on clubs we're uncomfortable with.

If I were chosen to test these clubs, I would alternate rounds with my current irons and these irons. I would try to do extensive comparison at the range with these to what I currently play. My biggest curiosity is the progression from "player" to "hacker" these irons seem to offer. I would like to find out if there isn't a huge difference between say the 5 iron and the 6 iron. I get to play about one round a week during the summer, so I would try and do an update every time I play with them and every time I go out to the range (once a week in addition ot the round I play). I try and stay active here at THP. I usually do a several posts per weeks. I try to add comments where I feel like I have something to add. I stay fairly busy at work, so I try to focus on the topics here I'm really interested in. It was really awesome with all of the feedback I got about my upcoming trip to Hawaii, which is what makes this site really fun to be part of :)

#1 Current Irons - I currently game a set of Callaway X-22's with KBS Tour shafts

#2 Current Handicap - Although not official. Its around 18

#3 What do I look for in a set of irons - I like my irons to look good at address and give me feedback when I hit a bad shot without killing my distance. So I'd say feel and a look that gives confidence.

#4 First looks thoughts - I'm a throwback kinda guy, so the satin chrome finish looks good to my eye.

#5 Testing and activity - I go to the driving range usually twice a week, and play at least 18 1-2 times per week so they would get plenty of game time action. I also have a fantastic Pinehurst trip coming this fall.. Being somewhat new to the THP community, I see this as being a great chance to interact with established members and give ample feedback if chosen.

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike Slingshot Hl
2. What is your handicap index? 21,7
3. What do you look for in an iron set? It used to be pure forgiveness, but now I want something that I can work with a bit more. Start setting up for draws and fades better. Good looks are never a bad thing either
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I love the looks of theese, I just saw them in a shop the other day I really liked the looks.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My plan will be to test them up against my current sgi set of irons, see the difference in workabillity and mishits. And see how much forgiveness i loose in the long irons in relation with my old set. I usually play atleast 9 holes 4-5 days a week. My activity on THP, I`m checking out this site atleast 4-5 times a day, and trying to write something useful when ever I can contribute. I`m currently testing the Hirzl Trus Feel glove, and really enjoying the experience, It has made me think about golf products in a whole new way.

This site never ceases to amaze me. Thanks THP and Nike.

1. What irons do you currently play? Burner 2.0
2. What is your handicap index? 23.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? A little of everything: little more distance, little more forgiveness and a little more feel
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Very very nice lines
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Well with any new club its off to the range and see if I can get it dialed in. Takes a few sessions to come up with my distances and from that point I could compare them to my current set and how they work with my swing. Then, after the range break-in sessions, it's time to bag'em and see how they work on the course. Of course this done with a on-line narrative and photo updates. Not much of a twitter guy here but am on Facebook and have no problem posting my results there as well.
My activity level on THP? Steady, I love this site.

Wow, what a great opportunity, I would Love to game these irons. Many Thanks to Nike and THP for the opportunity

Currently play Titleist 735cm's that are 1/2" longer than standard and use TTDG S300 Shafts

Current Handicap was 18.0, many many moons ago I used to play of 7.6
Now playing of 15.9 following today's round

Feel, Looks, Consistency, Forgiveness on the longer irons

I love them, easily the best irons I have seen for a while. They look so nice at address and ooze confidence to me

Seeing as I have just been made redundant I will have plenty of time on my hands to be able to give these a proper testing. My plan would involve going to the range at least once a week but probably at least twice. Each range session would be different as I would alternate between the odd and even irons. I try to currently play 1 round a week so would at least manage this but should be able to get out at least twice a week. All my thoughts would be jotted down and then reported back on here in the Testing Thread. I would also be able to answer any questions that people may have and also take requests as to how they would like the irons testing. I also have a facebook account so would be able to add my findings on there aswell.
As for my activity level on THP, yes I am fairly new here but I already consider it my golfing home away from the course. It is set as my home page so autoloads once I press the Firefox Icon. I am on here most days and always try to contribute as best I can. If I don't like a site I won't hang around for that long and I certainly wouldn't Donate to help with the running. I love this place. Even though I have yet to be selected for any tests I always try to leave my thoughts in testing threads where I have used the product. I am currently independently testing the Hirzl glove and Cleveland Mashie after buying one and am reporting back my findings in the appropriate threads.

Last edited:
1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway X-22 5-PW, uniflex shafts
2. What is your handicap index? 17-18
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I mostly look for good distance, decent forgiveness, and most importantly accuracy. I am not a super long hitter thanks to off and on shoulder issues so accuracy is very important to me.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? In one word, they are amazing. I love everything about them especially the clean, classic look. It seems some companies make their irons as busy as possible.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play 1-2 times a week on average and hit the range the same number of times.

As far as my activity level on THP, I may not have a massive post count but I am here every single day both at work and from home. Ever since I found THP while researching new clubs last year I've spent more and more time here and I think I've become completely addicted to golf as a result. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Thanks THP and NIKE golf for giving us this great opportunity.

1. What irons do you currently play? I am currently gaming Taylormade Burner 2.0's, 4-AW. I'm in the process of having graphite shafts installed.

2. What is your handicap index? 15.8 oob and dropping

3. What do you look for in an iron set? I like an iron that doesn't have an overly wide sole. The courses I play don't have alot of fluff and the narrower sole helps to make better ball contact. I also like a club that forgiving of toe hits as thats my biggest miss with irons.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? These irons look very clean and sleek. I'm not so sure about the forgiveness though and am curious to find out just how much they have built into them. They also don't seem to have alot of weight low on the club and am expecting them to have a mid flight which would be great.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I play atleast three times a week, I usually warm up on the range before each round as well so I will have plenty of chances to put these through the paces. As for my activity here, I'd like to think that I'm pretty active and a big part of the THP family. I'm a bit less active in fall and winter due to work but now with the new laptop I should be able to bug and annoy all year long!

1. What irons do you currently play?Callaway x-20 Tour
2. What is your handicap index? 10
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Some forgivenes but more importantly the ability to work the ball..
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Pretty amazing, I saw these in a players bag at the memorial and they look amazing..Clean, classic...
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I have been working on my iron game alot lately. I just started taking lessons and have been searching for new irons now for about a month. I have twice a week lessons, plus hit the range at least one other time. I play every other weekend, usually Saturday and Sundays, and during the summer I will be playing during the week as well. I plan on keeping a journal of each time I go out on the course noting different playing conditions and how im playing and my progress, giving updates a couple of times a week. Adding pics and video along the way.

This will be an awesome test/review. I am interested in hearing much more about the combo set and am happy to see that Nike is giving some average Joe's the ability to test/review these!

1. What irons do you currently play? I am currently playing the TaylorMade R9 irons.

2. What is your handicap index? 8.6 CDGA

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Ultimately, I look for an iron set that instills utmost confidence. That confidence requires a multitude of factors, including: (i) consistency; (ii) good feel; (iii) good looks; (iv) forgiveness in the longer clubs; (v) accuracy in the scoring clubs; and (vi) distance control.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? My initial reaction is that they look very sharp! Moreover, based on the looks alone, I think they potentially have the distinct ability to provide a visual cue to help put the player in the correct mindset for that particular shot. Take a scoring club for example, based on looks, it appears that it can put the player into a more "precision" mindset that is often necessary to hit it close. The long iron's appearance, however, may provide a mindset to give the player confidence that it will get the ball airborne with a bit more forgiveness.

5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? My testing plan would be fairly simple in process, but undoubtedly detailed in reviews. I go to the range approximately 3 times a week and play approximately 36 holes a week. I would plan on spending 2 weeks at the range (6 sessions) with the irons before taking them to the course. The first week, I would start by separating the irons into categories (i.e. blades, split-cavity and pocket cavity) and testing/reviewing each category for their own unique qualities and performance. The second week I would begin to delve more into the set as a whole and how they blend together as a complete integrated iron set. The third and fourth week I would begin the course testing by laying out how the irons performed during on-course testing, paying particular attention to various situations encountered and how the irons performed/responded. I would then repeat the above again in the second month, updating my previous findings with new information as I become more acquainted with the irons.

I am active on THP. I average more than 3 posts a day on THP. While I certainly do not provide the largest number of daily posts on THP, I believe that a significant number of my posts are informative and insightful. I have done numerous self-initiated reviews on clubs, shoes, training aids, and other golf-related items and have received favorable feedback from THP readers. I would provide the same dedication, detail and thoroughness to the testing of these irons.

Looking forward to all the reviews!

Very nice!

1. What irons do you currently play? Mizuno MX200. Adams Redlines are on the way, but they can be put aside in favor of testing these beauties.
2. What is your handicap index? Not official 11. Low round of 76 last year. Low round of 80 this year.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Accuracy, distance control, playable ball flight (not too high, not too low)
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I am a gigantic fan of the Pro Cavity look and almost got those this year. These seem just as appealing in the looks department.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If chosen I will make sure the irons are fitted to my swing. I will get on a lie board and make sure these get every chance to make the best impression. I have low hands and can slouch so just about everything I hit needs to be flattened. Included in my reviews would be photos, honest comments, and accurate descriptions of my experiences. These would be taken to the range a couple times at first. Characteristics of each iron will be noted - important for a combo set like this. I expect my activity level to be extremely high. Nothing short of a medical emergency would keep me from making daily, every other day at worst, posts. I will actually take notes as it very easy to forget exactly what happened during the round. Basically I will keep a diary during rounds and range sessions.

Thanks for the opportunity THP and Nike!

To everyone considering this I just want to say Go For IT! Testing for THP is a great experience

+1. These are awesome irons too so don't even question signing up for a chance to try these.

1. What irons do you currently play? mizuno mx200

2. What is your handicap index?18

a good solid feel on contact with forgiveness, also i like a nice topline, not too thick

i think they are absolutely gorgeous! i like them alot.. so clean looking

i would put these up head to head against the mizunos, distances, height, ball flight, and workablity, also in fell and looks of course, and i feel im very active on the forums, and weather i am picked or not, ill be as active as i can!!

Wow, another great opportunity. Thanks THP and Nike!

1. What irons do you currently play? Burner 2.0
2. What is your handicap index? 15
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Mainly a smooth feel and plenty of forgiveness.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? One word..Sexy. I love Nike irons and was very close to buying a set of the old vr full cavities.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I just finished college so I have a bunch of free time on my hands. I usually go to the range 3+ times a week and play on a course once a week so I'll be able to give these a fair and honest review. Everyone who has tested equipment in the past has done an excellent job and I believe that I can do the same.

Brand new to this website, but I'm incredibly intrigued after a retweet from Nike Golf. Great website you have set up here, I will be bookmarking it for continual reference!

In answer to the questions to become eligible:
1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway X-20 Tour
2. What is your handicap index? 7.2
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Playability, feel, crisp/clean look at address, forgiveness in longer irons, without sacrificing being able to work the ball
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I have been intrigued at all the press, and they look beautiful. I'd love the chance to switch to Nike irons (as most of my other clubs are Nike)
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I would ensure that I was able to play at least 2 rounds (if not more) each week. I live in Missouri, so we have plenty of weather changes in which I could test them out and produce review (calm days, very windy days, rainy days). I also have access to many great courses, so I could review them in varying degrees of play. I plan to become very active on this website as I've been glued to it ever since learning about it this morning. I feel I am timely and responsive and would produce excellent reviews for THP in the future.

1. What irons do you currently play? Ping i10's

2. What is your handicap index? *I don't have one but I usually hover around 95-110

3. What do you look for in an iron set? Name brand and feel. *They can't be ugly but they don't have to be the prettiest thing.

4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? *They look difficult to hit.

*I'd hit the range every day at lunch. I usually go 2x a week any how and I would play 9 during the week and another 18 on the weekend. I would compare the feel, forgiveness, and distance to my current set which I really like and have had since 2008-2009.

*I've got over 400 posts in under a month here at THP..is that enough activity? :) It's not all mindless responses because there is a really fun community here.

- I currently play Nike full cavity back VR from 2 years ago
- 8-10
- The most important things I look for are control, feel and look.
- I love the look of these irons they are some of the best looking clubs on the market
- I play a full round of golf once a week and hit the driving range 2 times a week so these clubs would get plenty of play if I am selected to test them out. I will also document every test on THPs thread going through the entire testing process.

1. What irons do you currently play? Titleist 735
2. What is your handicap index? 3
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Looks and feel. Prefer the sleek look of a blade. Ball flight and carry distances compared to my current set.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Very attractive. Sleek blade style and chrome is always good. The logo is very nice. Better than others.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Play several times a week with regular updates. Play at all styles of courses with different grass types and conditions. Video reviews would be very good for this testing session. I am an avid user of facebook and twitter with over 1,000 friends on facebook (most of whom are golfers) that would be interested in my updates.

This contest introduced me to this web site. Very cool site. Looking forward to becoming a very active member.

Last edited:
New to the site but I intend on becoming an active participating member of THP.

1. What irons do you currently play? I currently play Ping I3 irons.
2. What is your handicap index? Handicap is 5.3
3. What do you look for in an iron set? I look for irons with both forgiveness and workability. I want an iron that looks good at address and one that isn't distracting.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? I think the looks of these irons are almost perfect. Not too bulky like some irons today. Right amount of offset and not too shiny yet not too dull.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? I am able to play 3-4 rounds a week as well as go t to the range often. My practice plan would involve using the irons during casual rounds, simulating situations where I need to work the ball left or right as well as just beating balls with them finding out what they are made of. I'm new to the site and this is my first post however I intend on becoming an active member of THP. Without the testing I never would have found this place, thank you!

Would love to try the new Nikes

Would love to try the new Nikes

1. What irons do you currently play? Callaway x-20s
2. What is your handicap index? ~15, will likely go down 4-6 strokes once summer rolls around and conditions improve.
3. What do you look for in an iron set? Something that looks good standing over them, is reasonably forgiving, but mostly one that feels good on solid hits and lets you hit the ball consistently.
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? The stronger clubs in particular look nice while standing over them, and the higher clubs have a nice sleek look to them that instlils confidence.
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? If given an opportunity to test these irons, I will start by hitting a bucket of balls each day for a week to get used to them. Then I will put them in my bag. I play between 4 and 6 rounds per week, and will use them regularly. On nice days when I have time, I will also play my executive course with them so that I can test them each from different distances at my leisure. I just learned about this forum from the Nike twitter feed, but by the looks of it I will spend at least an hour a week reading posts and interacting with other members. I do tweet regularly and spend a lot of time on Facebook, so will be interacting there as well. Cheers all!

1. What irons do you currently play? Nike Pro Combo Steel stiff shaft
2. What is your handicap index? 12
3. What do you look for in an iron set? consistent feel and ability to help get the ball in the air
4. On looks alone what are your thoughts on these irons? Look great. Since I've played the previous Pro Combo's for the past 7 years I am familiar with how these irons should look
5. Tell us about your testing plan & activity level on THP? Start out on the driving range once or twice a week then get on the course twice a week for a few months. Since I'm a new member on THP I am looking forward to partaking in future events and visiting the page daily to see what's new in the golfing word.

Back